• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Poker Night 2 |OT?|

Kuro Madoushi

Unconfirmed Member
You guys know that the AI for each character is totally random, right? Sometimes they're better, sometimes they're worse. They don't play a particular style.
Eh. Brock seems the weakest and easiest to goad into stupid plays. He often matches an all in for me if he has nothing. In my games, he's usually the first out unless I'm going all in at the beginning to get an early advantage (no penalty for doing this)

One on one
Ash strongest
Sam 2nd
Clap 3rd
Brock lul

It was satisfying to take out Sam with those 3 kings though :)

Eh. Brock seems the weakest and easiest to goad into stupid plays. He often matches an all in for me if he has nothing. In my games, he's usually the first out unless I'm going all in at the beginning to get an early advantage (no penalty for doing this)

One on one
Ash strongest
Sam 2nd
Clap 3rd
Brock lul

It was satisfying to take out Sam with those 3 kings though :)

My playthrough has been like this. I don't believe the AI are completely random, there is definitely a noticable style for each character, whether you find that style to be easier or harder seems to be up to your individual play style.

(edit) While I assume this is common knowledge by now, anyone who doesn't know, if you use complete sets (all venture bros chips/cards/etc for example) you completely change the theme of the Inventory and you unlock extra dialogue options.

Pikawil

Unconfirmed Member
While we're on the subject of character difficulty, I often find that I tend to make Ash choke over his overbetting, whereas it's Brock who tends to make me choke one-on-one. (I have since adapted to play slowly but surely against Clappy and Sam.)

VGCW is where they go to wrestle, Inventory is where they can get a drink and spend some serious dosh.
So if Inventory is also where they can go to cross over a neutral setting, then Game Central Station is where they can go to meet so as to branch out and cross over in non-neutral settings?

Pachael

Liking the full sets and their dialogues and conversations e.g. the Sam and Max 25th anniversary has a noir like B&W look and the comment(s) on their 25 years.

Other than that, it does feel the same old comfortable game of poker to play like the last one with unfortunately, what seems to be more repeated conversations than previously. I do like GlaDOS' banter with the characters though; and surprisingly I think that her banter in particular plays well with Claptrap's.

God Ash and Brock are horrible characters. What the fuck are they even from to begin with.

Seriously? Ash is from Sam Raimi's popular Evil Dead franchise and Brock is from Venture Bros. And they're both amazing.

Also, I find it interesting they've grafted the playing styles of the first game's characters onto the second's (Ash is the confident bluffer instead of Strong Bad, Brock is the wild card instead of Max, Clap Trap is the conservative player instead of The Heavy, and Sam is the cautious checker instead of Tycho). It makes one wonder if they just copy-pasted the AI from the previous game or if they're similar on purpose.

I don't think they copy pasted the AI like that simply on account of Sam not being nearly as much of a pain in the ass as Tycho was :|

Played for about an hour last night until the table was cleared except for me and Sam. Five or so minutes of him using the same two or three lines on every bet and victory/loss was unbearable and I went all in to just end the game.

Aside from the humour wearing thin during a face-off, it was fun! Definitely more so than the first.

tumblr_mlycgbJzkv1qhhv13o1_1280.jpg

This hand...I just...woah

Camjo-Z

Omaha kicks my ass, lol. I can't wrap my head around it, even though the rules are relatively simple

It's basically the same thing as Texas Hold'em except you get 2 extra hole cards to pick from. I found it to be a lot more interesting and allows for more options, so I only play that now.

notsofast

Neo Member
Im playing the demo at the moment after stumbling across it on xbox live and Im enjoying this, I dont play poker games much but the dialogue between the different characters is enjoyable enough to keep me playing. Tempted to buy the full version..

JustinBB7

It feels like there is even less Dialog this time around, a lot of lines get reused over and over.

Really? I've been hearing a lot more different dialog then the first game. I do change sets though like said before. You get more different stuff then.

Cth

Ok got a weird glitch/bug I was hoping someone might confirm/help solve..

Platform: Xbox 360

Basically, I have two Xboxes. One upstairs, one downstairs. I purchased the game on the upstairs Xbox. So, no matter if I'm logged in (the original profile that purchased the game) the upstairs Xbox can play the game. (read: My wife can play the game with her profile)

Now, every other XBLA title will let you log in the profile that purchased the game on the second controller, unlocking the game from Trial mode so other profiles can play the game. Except it's not working here, and constantly sitting on the Connecting.. screen.

TL;DR:
Anyone having DRM issues with the Xbox 360 version? Can someone try to replicate this error?

EDIT:
Saw this.. will try to see if this fixes it:

There's a line when you lose where the eyeball robot says "It's all true, even the caaaaaaaaa".

But the 'a' is weak 'a' like 'car'. What is 'caaaaaaaa' supposed to be? I'm wondering if the line was read wrong and it was supposed to be a hard as in 'cake'. (It's all true even the cake.)

Opinions?

Edit: This game was even better than I thought it would be. In addition to Sam, Max is there too spouting some lines. When you use the chips, cards, and felt in a set changes the whole room. And they added the poker game variant Omaha. It is not much of a game but I've already got more than $5 of fun out of it. The voice actor for Ash is not very good though.

legbone

It's basically the same thing as Texas Hold'em except you get 2 extra hole cards to pick from. I found it to be a lot more interesting and allows for more options, so I only play that now.

there is a also the fact that you have to play two cards out of your hand. in texas holdem you can use both, one or none. in omaha you are forced to use two in your hand and three on the board.

Yeah, you're missing out on a lot if you aren't switching to the different settings (which means you're stuck with the different card decks, unfortunately). The first character knocked out is usually taken out in some way fitting the setting, for example. In the Sam & Max one, Ash
got chased by Max using his chainsaw
, and in Borderlands Claptrap
got bazooka'd by a very sad Steve
. Plus they talk about the settings a fair bit.

It's almost a shame the AI usually suicides someone right off the bat with a bad All In, because then you miss out on parts of the conversation, or even full conversations.

I really wish you could skip more of the dialogue with right clicks, though, since the action freezes while a character chatters away sometimes with a story you've heard four times before, and you just want to play. GLaDOS's taunts and blind raising are also pretty repetitive, and lengthy too.

Edit:, never mind...they probably just mean switch during the tournament...I'll try that later

Pause, switch to one of them, unpause, it'll tell you you've unlocked the bounty, then just switch back if you feel like it.

I really wish you could skip more of the dialogue with right clicks, though, since the action freezes while a character chatters away sometimes with a story you've heard four times before, and you just want to play. GLaDOS's taunts and blind raising are also pretty repetitive, and lengthy too.

Yeah, that is my biggest complaint. I wish you could cut off lengthy dialog with a right-click. And it is not so much that I mind hearing over and over (that is annoying but I can deal with it), it is just that you have to wait for it to complete before you get to play your cards. It slows down the play too much.

MrDaravon

Do I not understand how Omaha works? I was dealt 3 kings and an Ace. An Ace was on the river (along with nothing else of note for me), it picked my hand as two pair (kings and aces) and busted me out.

Sblargh

Banned
Do I not understand how Omaha works? I was dealt 3 kings and an Ace. An Ace was on the river (along with nothing else of note for me), it picked my hand as two pair (kings and aces) and busted me out.

Your final hand must be a mix of the 2 cards you are dealt and 3 cards on the table.

So the game picks the 2 best possible cards from your, which was one king and one ace to make the two pairs.

This, to me, is the trickiest part of Omaha. Calculating that only 2 cards from your hand are gonna matter.

MrDaravon

Your final hand must be a mix of the 2 cards you are dealt and 3 cards on the table.

So the game picks the 2 best possible cards from your, which was one king and one ace to make the two pairs.

This, to me, is the trickiest part of Omaha. Calculating that only 2 cards from your hand are gonna matter.

Oh, that's kinda fucked but that at least makes sense.

Also either I'm terrible at poker or this game isn't as easy as some people are saying. I've been playing mostly Texas Hold'em and I can usually bust out 2-3 people, but still haven't been able to win.

Slow playing works to an extent, but you gotta bluff sometimes, especially when someone makes a 10K raise, if you've got decent to good cards and reraise they will often fold. When there's 3 or 2 of you left the odds of them preflop raising with shitty cards is quite high. Pick your battles carefully. Heads up you should know that they will raise preflop with anything, especially with a face card and a rag.

Slygmous

I'm 21. I swear no one of that stuff is relevant if your not in America and probably weren't the best choices for a poker game about video game characters.

Hey, it's very relevant in Australia as well! Army of Darkness is awesome and funny.
Ash is in video games too, just not very good ones. This might be his best game if I'm not mistaken.

Edit: I haven't bought this game yet, even though I've played through the Xbox demo 3 times so far and enjoyed it a lot. I have the feeling it'll be on sale regularly for some reason, so I'm trying to wait it out.

Sblargh

Banned
I'm 21. I swear no one of that stuff is relevant if your not in America and probably weren't the best choices for a poker game about video game characters.

I'm from Brazil and we love you Ash! ;*******

Also, Brock quoting Dune is always awesome.

Kuro Madoushi

Unconfirmed Member
Hey, it's very relevant in Australia as well! Army of Darkness is awesome and funny.
Ash is in video games too, just not very good ones. This might be his best game if I'm not mistaken.

Edit: I haven't bought this game yet, even though I've played through the Xbox demo 3 times so far and enjoyed it a lot. I have the feeling it'll be on sale regularly for some reason, so I'm trying to wait it out.

I'm from Brazil and we love you Ash! ;*******

Also, Brock quoting Dune is always awesome.

Canada, btw.

;)

Well, it is not a game just about video game characters. Ash is borderline as there are Evil Dead video games (not very good ones). But I don't think there is a Venture Bros video game, that is just a cartoon show.

And if you like horror movies, you really should see Evil Dead 2. (And Evil Dead and Army of Darkness but Evil Dead 2 is the best.)

This video game rendition of him is pretty lame though, the voice actor is not very good. He probably didn't want to ham it up much but that is what he should have done. And the writing is pretty meh for him.

Also either I'm terrible at poker or this game isn't as easy as some people are saying. I've been playing mostly Texas Hold'em and I can usually bust out 2-3 people, but still haven't been able to win.
The AI seems to be a bit better than last time. I think if you buy a round of drinks that makes the AI a little dumber. I also seem to have done better playing Omaha (once I learned the rules . . . I was severely disappointed when I didn't with with my pocket 3-of-a-kind).

Has any one figured out or tried to figure out the 'tells' that are supposedly in there? I didn't bother trying.

Besides the extremely obvious ones like Sam simply letting his head fall to the table when he has a horrible hand or him getting visibly excited with even his hat jumping when he has a great one?

Jintor

I remember Poker Night 1 was bugged when it first came out and everybody just told like idiots for like two weeks after release. They got a little more subtle afterwards. (Well, as subtle as Max or Heavy Weapons Guy can get)

I remember Poker Night 1 was bugged when it first came out and everybody just told like idiots for like two weeks after release. They got a little more subtle afterwards. (Well, as subtle as Max or Heavy Weapons Guy can get)

I honestly don't recall ever being able to catch any tells for any of the characters ^^;

Jintor

I'm so glad I only play virtual poker because I pretty much shout "YES!" and dance around my room if I get a good hand

Jintor

I laughed like crazy when Claptrap revealed his character trophy. Also, player eliminations in the Borderland bar are pretty hilarious.

Top Bottom