• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Poker Night 2 |OT?|

Jamie OD

Loved the first one and this is a pretty good follow up. Claptrap isn't as unbearbly annoying as I thought it would be. It's probably because he has Steve with him.
Heyooo!

Got a funny moment when I won a tournament at the Sam & Max themed table.
Max gives you a big kiss that leaves a large lip print on the screen.

Isn't Monaco on PC and XBLA for the same price? Not sure if I buy into the reasoning in this thread on why this title is more expensive on XBLA.

jediyoshi

anyone running into this?

Z3s90mW.jpg

already reverified data. didn't have any problems with any other telltale games

edit: annnd it works on my laptop. guessing it might have to do with amd's last beta drivers

hitmon

This game seems to be tougher than the first one. I seem to win 1 out of every 5 tournaments. Anybody know how to order drinks? Can't seem to find the option on the pc version.

kazebyaka

Banned
Won a bounty in a tournament. It's a nice fun for a while, but i don't get poker at all, so it's confusing. Anyway, if this game had an online multiplayer, it'd be great.

Anyone else find Ash the least funny character? I find everyone else has better stories and better jokes. Love that this game has so many more characters (4 opponents + Glados + Max + Steve).

Isn't Monaco on PC and XBLA for the same price? Not sure if I buy into the reasoning in this thread on why this title is more expensive on XBLA.

I don't think it's out on Xbox, but a game that costs $15 will just make less profit per unit on the 360 than on the PC. When priced at $5, the profit per unit may be negative or too small for the developer.

Example:

Poker Night

Development cost for PC: $3
PC Price: $5

Development cost for Xbox: $5
Xbox Price: $10

Monaco

Development Cost for PC: $8
PC Price: $15

Development cost for Xbox: $11
Xbox Price: $15

Hold up, they changed Max's voice actor?

I find that infinitely stranger than not getting Bruce Campbell for Ash.

Ash saying the same ten lines of dialogue every round makes me pine for Lee Everett.

Are there still the sliders of how talk-y each character is? Could that be the problem?

D

Diggeh

Unconfirmed Member
Ash saying the same ten lines of dialogue every round makes me pine for Lee Everett.

bryehn

Dialogue started to repeat alot after about four hours, but I still hear new stuff once in awhile. Was a great way to spend a lazy, rainy afternoon. I can see myself going back to unlock everything. I'm surprised at how good the poker engine is, though I should be getting people drunk more.

Edit: Holy crap, I can unlock useless Borderlands 2 skins and avatar items? Nice.

Hold up, they changed Max's voice actor?

I find that infinitely stranger than not getting Bruce Campbell for Ash.
I believe that discussion was a reference to Sam & Max Hit the Road having different voice actors from the Telltale series.

(Although it's also true that Max's voice was changed: the guy who did Max in Culture Shock was replaced for some reason [I believe it was ill health but don't quote me on that], and the replacement they got in held the role ever since).

[Edit] Huh, Wikipedia says that Max is being voiced by David Boat and not William Kasten as usual. So they have changed the voice actor. Huh. Odd.

(Although it's also true that Max's voice was changed: the guy who did Max in Culture Shock was replaced for some reason [I believe it was ill health but don't quote me on that], and the replacement they got in held the role ever since).

It's pretty amusing on hindsight considering the villain of the last episode of The Devil's Playhouse and his VA.

Dialogue started to repeat alot after about four hours, but I still hear new stuff once in awhile. Was a great way to spend a lazy, rainy afternoon. I can see myself going back to unlock everything. I'm surprised at how good the poker engine is, though I should be getting people drunk more.

Edit: Holy crap, I can unlock useless Borderlands 2 skins and avatar items? Nice.

Even better than that: you can unlock useless TF2 items!

Is the writing actually good? I really liked the first Poker Night, but the cast in this one (not that I dislike any of the characters individually) just seems so haphazard.

I mean I guess the first one was too, but still.

Is the writing actually good? I really liked the first Poker Night, but the cast in this one (not that I dislike any of the characters individually) just seems so haphazard.

If you liked the first one I imagine you'll like this one too.

[Edit] Huh, Wikipedia says that Max is being voiced by David Boat and not William Kasten as usual. So they have changed the voice actor. Huh. Odd.

That's what I've been referring to. I haven't started playing yet, but seeing that in the OP caught me off guard. I knew of the change from Culture Shock onward, but I don't recognize the name David Boat.

It's definitely a bit more meta, but the writing is of a similarly high standard in my opinion.

I actually really miss Strong Bad.

Yup, funniest character out of both games. I like Brock in this one, and Claptrap isn't bad either. Wish they had included another TF2 character, like Demoman or Spy, but I guess because this game is multiplat they have to include platform neutral characters and TF2 isn't really on the consoles.

It took me a half hour to win my first tournament before I left for work. I really like it though. It feels like games don't last as long this time to me which is refreshing.

legbone

Anyone else having weird input delays with their mice?

i'm playing on xbla but it really is kind of a buggy mess. it lags a lot. sometimes it will act like it is frozen completely but then it will resume. hasn't frozen on me yet but i expect it will before i am through with it.

jediyoshi

Went back to 12.10 amd drivers working my way up and nothing's working
Guess I'll have to settle playing on my laptop

anyone running into this?

Z3s90mW.jpg

already reverified data. didn't have any problems with any other telltale games

edit: annnd it works on my laptop. guessing it might have to do with amd's last beta drivers

I had this same problem with the first poker game. I copied dinput8.dll into the poker night directory and that fixed it.

Forkball

I won Ash's stuff. Surprisingly, Sam is the funniest one. GlaDOS is also fantastic, adding her in was a smart move.

wenis

Registered for GAF on September 11, 2001.
I think the Ash voice actor did a great job so far. He at least sounds a lot like Young Bruce than the real Bruce Campbell would have.

and every time I see that table deal, it makes me want one so bad.

I hate these random bounties. Getting the opportunity to win a 3-way all-in is unlikely; I wish the bounties were more within my control. I only have one bounty left, and about half way to reaching the "We are the 1%" achievement.

legbone

I hate these random bounties. Getting the opportunity to win a 3-way all-in is unlikely; I wish the bounties were more within my control. I only have one bounty left, and about half way to reaching the "We are the 1%" achievement.

that one is actually not as bad as it sounds. i'm stuck right now on "win a showdown with just a high card". it sucks. if you are playing like i do you should never be going into a showdown with just a high card (my opinion, i'm sure some poker expert will set me straight), it makes me have to play hands that i would not normally play trying to chase the damn bounty.

I had this same problem with the first poker game. I copied dinput8.dll into the poker night directory and that fixed it.

Yep and I got the same thing with poker night 2. As usual putting dinput8.dll in the directory fixed it.

Because you know, having the exact same problem with your games for the last couple of years and not bothering to put in a really trivial fix to stop your games crashing on startup and making your company look like a complete bunch of amateurs...well that would be way too tricky.

Twice now the game glitched and didn't register when I selected Call or Fold. I think it happens when you select them too quick. Thankfully you can exit the game, reopen the game, and continue on. But still, how was that not caught during testing.

Yep and I got the same thing with poker night 2. As usual putting dinput8.dll in the directory fixed it.

Because you know, having the exact same problem with your games for the last couple of years and not bothering to put in a really trivial fix to stop your games crashing on startup and making your company look like a complete bunch of amateurs...well that would be way too tricky.

Even worse, it looks like it happens in every Telltale Games game, e.g. The Walking Dead.

Timeless

You can save scum easily in both Poker Night games.

C:\Users\[[YOUR USERNAME]]\Documents\Telltale Games\

If sharing save files isn't against the NeoGAF TOS, I have a nearly-complete set for getting the TF2 items in PN1 and one that unlocks the TF2 Necronomicrown in PN2.

AMUSIX

Yeah, Ash doesn't seem to talk much, but he had my favorite line of the night while pondering over a hand...

let's see...what would Chuck Finley do?"

Overall, I think Brock's my favorite character, mostly when he's responding the other players.

Top Bottom