• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Police kill unarmed black man in California.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dalibor68

Banned
Here's a thread title: Cops kill black man because he "asked for it"

Because a supposed suicide by cop is easier to swallow for some weird reason.

How about "Potentially mentally ill man killed in police standoff" or you know, anything whose main purpose isn't to (and looking at some of the replies, successfully) rile up people and give the impression the police a) fired unprovoked b) race had anything to do with it.

Beefy

That doesn't change anything on the ground level situation here. Mentally ill afaik doesn't mean "behaves like a 3-year-old" but can mean schizophrenia, psychosis and other things that make the situation even more dangerous. And there is no responsibility to get shot by a mentally ill person either. This man wanted to commit suicide by cop at any rate.

I doubt very much he wanted to die. Also some types of mental illness can very much effect their learning capabilities. So some can have a mental age of 3 etc.

How many people would let them be treated by doctors who studied for 5 months?
How many engineers,architects could get jobs with 5 months worth of schooling?

It's unreal to me that US government is okay putting this much responsibility into the hands of these (often mentally unprepared and/or unfit to begin with) people who basically done a crash course in law enforcement.Then you hear shit like they're actively turning down people for being "overqualified". It's as if they just want mindless drones,each living out their own steven seagal movie fantasies instead of people who might think,judge each situation accordingly and not pull out the shotguns for jaywalking.

The fact that US cops shoot to kill every time instead of aiming at non-vital body parts says it all really.
I know,I know,it wouldnt work in the US because people there are different. If you dont empty a full magazine into a civilian they can still turn into a hellbeast via the magic called adrenaline.

RPGCrazied

Don't surprise me anymore. Its like Cops do the shoot first and answer questions later. And go with the typical line of I fear for my life, and he is going for a gun line that 99% of the time is wrong.

Hari Seldon

Sounds like the cops tried to de-escalate and the dude chose suicide, or his mental health chose it for him. Tragic, but I don't blame the cops in this situation.

Aikidoka

Sounds like the cops tried to de-escalate and the dude chose suicide, or his mental health chose it for him. Tragic, but I don't blame the cops in this situation.

They tried to de-escalate by pulling guns on a man with his hand in his pocket? You can't be serious.

Don't play dumb. It is purposefully phrased to give the impression the police fired unprovoked.

That doesn't change anything on the ground level situation here. Mentally ill afaik doesn't mean "behaves like a 3-year-old" but can mean schizophrenia, psychosis and other things that make the situation even more dangerous. And there is no responsibility to get shot by a mentally ill person either. This man wanted to commit suicide by cop at any rate.

Actually you have no way of knowing that...

And he'd never have been in the situation had the cops not escalated things needlessly

RMI

Banned
You'd think cops would know what a gun looks like by now, seeing as to how they're so fond of shooting them at people.

Hari Seldon

They tried to de-escalate by pulling guns on a man with his hand in his pocket? You can't be serious.

Well the report says they asked him numerous times to remove his hands from his pockets before drawing weapons. Is there a video of the entire thing?

Ryzaki009

You mean shot by the air in his pocket? Also how do you know he wanted to die? You just said he was mentally ill you a mind reader?

So one of the officers... Richard Gonsalves (sp?) has been in trouble several times because he enjoys going Brett Farve and sending dick pics to his fellow female co-workers?

(Just caught a local news feed in passing while darning socks.)

The Kree

Banned
How about "Potentially mentally ill man killed in police standoff" or you know, anything whose main purpose isn't to (and looking at some of the replies, successfully) rile up people and give the impression the police a) fired unprovoked b) race had anything to do with it.

Yeah, it's not like there's any precedent by which people would draw negative conclusions about the cops' behavior here. It's just the thread title making them do that.

Beefy

Well the report says they asked him numerous times to remove his hands from his pockets before drawing weapons. Is there a video of the entire thing?

Nope. The haven't released a video just a still pic of the guy holding his vape device in a gun pose. So we have no idea what else went on.

Why O why would you call cops on a mentally ill member of your family these days???
Sad.

Pretty sure it's reasonable to think that he would have been treated okay if the police officers who killed him had trained staff alongside. From the earlier updated link:

According to Kim Moore, who is on the ground in El Cajon, police confirmed that the Psychiatric Emergency Response Team (PERT) was not brought in to assist on the call. A description of PERT’s responsibilities are as follows:

Provides emergency assessment and referral for individuals with mental illness who come to the attention of law enforcement through phone calls from community members or in-field law enforcement request for emergency assistance. PERT pairs licensed mental health clinicians with uniformed law enforcement officers/deputies. Clinicians work out of individual law enforcement divisions and respond in the field with their law enforcement partners.

Earlier eyewitness accounts indicated that Olango was having a seizure or some other sort of medical or mental-health emergency. The exact nature of Olango’s mental state at the time he was shot has not been confirmed.
They didn't bring a PERT staffer along despite the call being categorized as needing one to lead the encounter.

Of course, yeah, calling cops on a minority seems to not favor the minority.

Mega

Banned
The facts are inflammatory?

He was in fact unarmed.

Again, what's your point other than a drive-by shitpost implying that the situation was different than it actually was?

They didn't shoot an unarmed man who was harmlessly standing around. They shot a man who gave every sign that he was armed and acted like he was. It was a difficult situation and besides "the cops shouldn't have been there," no one can say for sure how it should have gone down.

AlphaSnake

...and that, kids, was the first time I sucked a dick for crack
Sad. This is an issue that could've been entirely avoided. One had a taser, the other a gun drawn. Why? Just like Tulsa, there was NO need to have both out (only the taser) and also to be THAT close, yet again. If you get a 5150 disturbed individual call, you are supposed to wait for a medical professional to arrive on the scene, as well. Often times it's a LEO with a medical certificate, a fire fighter, or obviously someone from the nearest hospital.

They are supposed to stay back, take some cover, and talk the disturbed down or calm. Not approach. Horrible job from this PD.

Dalibor68

Banned
Yeah, it's not like there's any precedent by which people would draw negative conclusions about the cops' behavior here. It's just the thread title making them do that.
That precedent does not matter here at all because there is no indication this had anything to do with race or police shooting unprovoked. The intent is trying to make it one anyways to get emotional responses and move the discussion in a certain direction from the start. Many aren't even fully reading the OP/report and still asking about the gun/taser combo.

As for the PERT: that is a reasonable criticism. When enough leads imply the person might be mentally ill then the dispatchers should consider (or if they are obligated to, do it) sending someone qualified specifically for those situations. But that's a problem higher up and not the fault of the two police officers in the situation they found themselves in. They cant just stand around and say "Hey wait 20min for the PERT to arrive and dont move despite you acting like you have a gun in your pocket".

Sent from mobile

Lambtron

Unconfirmed Member
That precedent does not matter here at all because there is no indication this had anything to do with race or police shooting unprovoked. The intent is trying to make it one anyways to get emotional responses and move the discussion in a certain direction from the start. Many aren't even fully reading the OP/report and still asking about the gun/taser combo.
Let's just say the cops haven't earned the benefit of the doubt in how they handle situations where they encounter a black person. The thread title is accurate.

Fuck the police.

Ekai

Do I really have to parse through the link I provided you and strip out all the links they provided to legit news sites that kinda indicate they're not just anecdotes? Fine, let's play this silly game:

http://www.wfmj.com/story/27753282/...er-pointing-gun-at-new-castle-police-officers

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GQwlfXdDDYA&feature=youtu.be

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/01/05/o...rivilege-of-arrest-without-incident.html?_r=1

http://www.rawstory.com/2014/12/two...-bb-gun-arent-shot-by-police-for-some-reason/

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news...eath-of-john-crawford/?utm_term=.bdaa076d40bd

http://www.wmur.com/news/police-man-arrested-after-shooting-bb-gun-at-officers/28219706

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/06/17/joseph-houseman-open-carry_n_5501883.html

Police kill Blacks at a statistically disproportionate rate. Period. This is across the board so obvious it includes standoff incidents as well as everything else. If you refuse to recognize this you're either ignorant, or a racist. Pick one.

I don't think they care about the facts here. Kinda disturbing to see a defense force for this. Then again we've had defense forces for lots of weird things on Gaf.

Allforce

Pardon my ignorance, I'm not a weapons expert or a police procedure expert, but what is the state of taser technology nowadays? Is it just considered faulty and dangerous to the point that police rarely use them?

Because it sure seems safer to walk up to a situation like this where you're asking a clearly mentally disturbed man several times to remove his hands and surrender to just say "enough of this shit" and taze him after 1 warning than it does to pull a firearm out and keep demanding the same results until it escalates in someone being shot dead.

Like, is the technology just horrible? Seems like we can fire a missile into a single room of a house from 1500 miles away but we can't come up with a handheld non-lethal taser that works 100% of the time and just subdues someone who's escalating a situation?

rc213

Again, what's your point other than a drive-by shitpost implying that the situation was different than it actually was?

They didn't shoot an unarmed man who was harmlessly standing around. They shot a man who gave every sign that he was armed and acted like he was. It was a difficult situation and besides "the cops shouldn't have been there," no one can say for sure how it should have gone down.

So you decided all that from a single frame released specifically chosen by the police?

Great, This ones over guys, It's clear now. I wonder what signs I'm missing from that frame that proves 100% he was armed...

Lambtron

Unconfirmed Member
Why is this a story? A crazy guy with a deathwish gets shot. Oh NOoooooo the horror!!!!
Fuck you. Seriously, I'm so fucking tired of how we discard people with mental illness. Just a "crazy guy."

THEY CALLED 911 TO HELP HIM.
AND THE COPS FUCKING KILLED HIM.

Come. On. How can you not have a fucking shred of empathy?

Mega

Banned
So you decided all that from a single frame released specifically chosen by the police?

Great, This ones over guys, It's clear now. I wonder what signs I'm missing from that frame that proves 100% he was armed...

I'm going by what we know so far in reports. I'm open to any new information and footage that comes out. I don't have an anti-anyone agenda unlike many posters here who were eagerly awaiting the next thread to shit on police without any consideration for what actually transpired.

Why is this a story? A crazy guy with a deathwish gets shot. Oh NOoooooo the horror!!!!

Come on, man. This was terrible all around. Don't do that. Mental illness doesn't mean you deserve death.

rc213

I'm going by what we know so far in reports. I'm open to any new information and footage that comes out. I don't have an anti-anyone agenda unlike many posters here who were eagerly awaiting the next thread to shit on police without any consideration for what actually transpired.

Come on, man. This was terrible all around. Don't do that. Mental illness doesn't mean you deserve death.

Yes it's crazy that people use police depts record on dealing with minorities and mentally ill people in forming opinions about yet another incident.

But again list what were the signs i missed that he was acting like he armed without a doubt. Cause I've never heard someone get shot for acting like they were armed.

What are people who claim to care doing about this... Besides posting on a website? If you are all so disgusted get off your ass and do something. Go train to be a cop and make a real change. Go write policy on mental health issues and send them to your state leaders. So many people pretend to care about issues like this yet do nothing except pat themselves on the back so they can feel better about doing nothing. Me, I don't care. I'm a nihilist.

What are people who claim to care doing about this... Besides posting on a website? If you are all so disgusted get off your ass and do something. Go train to be a cop and make a real change. Go write policy on mental health issues and send them to your state leaders. So many people pretend to care about issues like this yet do nothing except pat themselves on the back so they can feel better about doing nothing. Me, I don't care. I'm a nihilist.
Bruh
Bruh

Ralemont

not me
Yes it's crazy that people use police depts record on dealing with minorities and mentally ill people in forming opinions about yet another incident.

But again list what were the signs i missed that he was acting like he armed without a doubt. Cause I've never heard someone get shot for acting like they were armed.

He wasn't shot for acting like he was armed. He was shot for acting like he was drawing a gun and going to shoot an officer. This after the officers drew their weapons after he refused to remove his hand from his pocket after multiple requests. In a country where civilians mass shoot other civilians almost weekly, reports of a man acting strangely followed by apparently holding something in his pocket and not cooperating with police orders is going to raise suspicion. Perhaps the one officer didn't need to draw his gun, I don't know. What I do know is pretending like the officers weren't provoked into this action is disingenuous.

Dali

That might well be true, but it most likely wouldn't have made any difference in this specific scenario.

You maybe need to read the report.

The gun is if the taser fails and/or the person escalates.

I read this in the op presumably from the Reuters link beneath it

The officers then simultaneously shot and used the Taser on the man, who died after being taken to the hospital, police said. Officials have not identified him.

Fire two tazers at the same time and maybe you've successfully used non lethal means. Fire a tazer/gun combo at the same time and you look inept. You have to give one a chance to work otherwise they both may as well have had guns in hand and shelved the taser.

Mega

Banned

Discussion helps gain understanding of events... and it is okay to talk for the sake of it. I don't think everyone necessarily needs to be a legislator or activist to put in their two cents.

Zoe

I read this in the op presumably from the Reuters link beneath it

Fire two tazers at the same time and maybe you've successfully used non lethal means. Fire a tazer/gun combo at the same time and you look inept. You have to give one a chance to work otherwise they both may as well have had guns in hand and shelved the taser.

A taser has to be precise to actually work. What happens if a gun is drawn in the time it takes the cop with the taser to line up their shot? What happens if a gun is drawn the moment the taser is disengaged?

____

You "don't care", yet, you find the need to post this to provoke people? Or...?

But how?

It takes a fraction of a second to reach into a pocket and make a gesture like you have a weapon like in the picture above.

If we're going to delegate mental health issues to police, maybe they should have special plain clothes units tasked with call, buy good luck getting any funding.

Suicide by cop is a very tricky issue.

No other country has reports of people with mental illness getting shot by cops on a weekly basis. If they can figure it out then so can the US.

Dali

A taser has to be precise to actually work. What happens if a gun is drawn in the time it takes the cop with the taser to line up their shot? What happens if a gun is drawn the moment the taser is disengaged?

It says they fired simultaneously

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom