• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Police Officer in Memphis killed during traffic stop

Status
Not open for further replies.

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
http://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/memphis-police-officer-killed-during-traffic-stop-n402441

A manhunt was underway for a suspect who fatally shot a Memphis police officer during a traffic stop on Saturday evening, according to officials.

Memphis Director of Police Services Toney Armstrong said police were notified at around 9:18 p.m. local time (10:18 p.m.) that an officer had been shot. The officer was rushed to the hospital in critical condition but later died from multiple gunshot wounds.

"The suspect responsible is still at large and officers are in the area attempting to locate him," police said in a statement.

The slain officer was identified by the police department as 33-year-old Sean Bolton, who had been with the force since October 2010.

Armstrong said Saturday's fatal shooting was the third time an officer has been killed in the last four years.

"It doesn't get any easier," Armstrong told reporters Saturday night. "This is a very difficult time, not only for me as director, but for all the officers that you see standing behind me and a difficult time for our city as well."

"We're talking about, from what we know now, routine traffic stop ... results in an officer losing his life," Armstrong added.

Police were searching the area near an apartment complex for the gunman Saturday night, NBC affiliate WMC reported.

"This speaks volumes about the inherent danger of police work in general," a somber Memphis Mayor A.C. Wharton Jr. told reporters Saturday. "Pray for the family and pray for our city."

kamakazi5

Always terrible when people lose their lives over the smallest things. Hopefully they catch the person before anyone else gets hurt.

Bodacious

Banned
Wasn't there another incident like this just a couple weeks ago? This is really bad cuz it's just going to make all cops across the country more butt-puckered every time they pull someone over for speeding or whatever.

Lug Nuts

Banned
Wasn't there another incident like this just a couple weeks ago? This is really bad cuz it's just going to make all cops across the country more butt-puckered every time they pull someone over for speeding or whatever.

You think this is a new occurrence?

Fury451

Banned

This happens a lot- traffic stops are already the most butt-puckering thing law enforcement can do IMO. It's like playing potential-psycho roulette.

JDSN

Banned
I was reading about those Sovereign Citizens nuts the other day and it must be scary for a cop to start every interaction with the idea on the back of his/her head that they could run into a cop killer. Rest in Peace.

Theres a video of a traffic stop murder that I believe they show in police training and was released to the net. One of the most gut wrenching and horrifying things ever. Rip

Tb0ne07

Was just in memphis for a couple weeks. The city is rough. Police cams at the intersections, 2 security guards at the grocery store, inordinate number of homes with tall security fences etc..With that said areas of downtown are nice. Beale street is cool if you like to party and live music and the zoo is one of the best in the country. Also strangely they have like the 5th or 6th biggest pyramid structure in the world sitting right on the Mississippi which is now a
Bass Pro

Nephtis

I hope they find the guy that did it and let him rot in jail.

The scary thing for me is that as I read it the only thing I could think of was "huh. so now you know what it's like." Super fucked up that I thought of that, any loss of life is terrible.

This is very sad, but i think the most tragic thing about this is that absolutely nothing will change regardless of how many times things like this will happen.

Rembrandt

Banned

If three murders in four years scares them like that then they have no reason being a cop.

Rembrandt

Banned
What's the required murder rate for people to be afraid?

Idk. Higher than it is there. I'm sure civilians get murdered more often.

I mean, why join the police force of all things if less than one murder a year on average makes you fear for your safety on the clock?

The scary thing for me is that as I read it the only thing I could think of was "huh. so now you know what it's like." Super fucked up that I thought of that, any loss of life is terrible.

Yeah. That is scary, and pretty shitty.

If three murders in four years scares them like that then they have no reason being a cop.

Not surprised to see this from you in the slightest.

You're right that is scary. It's also absolutely fucking disgusting.

I mean, why join the police force of all things if less than one murder a year on average makes you fear for your safety on the clock?

It seemingly is a high stress job, so it makes sense why.

Chances are these fears don't occur until the job begins similar to how you discover other fears.

Just weird why you're trying to downplay fear instead of trying to understand why it exists.

Kite

Where did the three murders in four years come from?

https://www.fbi.gov/news/pressrel/p...forcement-officers-killed-in-the-line-of-duty

This says "Ten officers were conducting traffic pursuits or stops" died in 2014 alone. And this isn't counting failed attempts with or ithout injuries.

By circumstance, 11 officers died from injuries inflicted as a result of answering disturbance calls (one of which was a domestic disturbance). Ten officers were conducting traffic pursuits or stops, eight were killed as a result of ambushes (six due to entrapment/premeditated situations and two during unprovoked attacks), and six officers were investigating suspicious persons or circumstances. Five officers sustained fatal injuries while they were performing investigative activities, four while they were engaged in tactical situations, three officers were handling persons with mental illness, and one officer was slain during a drug-related matter. Three officers were killed while attempting other arrests.

ponziacs

Banned

From 2000 - 2014, annually an average of over 156 Police Officers were killed in the line of duty.

2,343 Police officers have lost their lives over those 15 years.

ponziacs

Banned

1 murder a year? Over 156 Police officers have been killed annually since 2000.

Theres a video of a traffic stop murder that I believe they show in police training and was released to the net. One of the most gut wrenching and horrifying things ever. Rip

Yeah if this is the one I am thinking of it fucked me up for a while, the audio is horrifying.

Suikoguy

I whinny my fervor lowly, for his length is not as great as those of the Hylian war stallions

From that article:
The Article said:
"We say so often ... do black lives matter? And at the end of the day, we have to ask ourselves, do all lives matter -- regardless of race, creed, color, economic status, what profession that person holds? All lives matter," Armstrong said.

*sigh* another person that misses that point of the "Black Lives Matter" slogan. I'm getting so frustrated since I've seen it so often.

"The phrase "Black lives matter" carries an implicit "too" at the end; it's saying that black lives should also matter. Saying "all lives matter" is dismissing the very problems that the phrase is trying to draw attention to."

https://www.reddit.com/r/explainlik...it_so_controversial_when_someone_says/ct8pei1

Aselith

It seems like those figures are inflated by listing all officers who died not jsut those who died in the line of duty as just looking over the officers and causes of death a lot are reported as heart attack so that's not really an in the line of duty thing.

Obviously it's not 4 in 5 years but it's also not 120ish a year according to the FBI information specifically for those who died in the line of duty

as quoted earlier.

Tagyhag

That cop would have been fine if he was as trigger happy as other cops, but because he showed restraint, he got killed.

And I'm sure that strengthens the ripple effect of situations like these, cops end up getting more tense and the cycle continues.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom