• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Police Officer in Memphis killed during traffic stop

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sciz

it's really sick that this tragic death is being spun by the PD into a justification for killing black people. RIP to the officer and a huge fuck off to Toney Armstrong, #NotAllCops but definitely him.

#BlackLivesMatter

Armstrong is black. Half the MPD is black. I don't think "fuck black people" is what he's going for here, however ineloquent the phrasing is.

Rembrandt

Banned
Armstrong is black. Half the MPD is black. I don't think "fuck black people" is what he's going for here, however ineloquent the phrasing is.

Doesn't matter. His comments were still incredibly dumb. Black Lives Matter isn't this non-inclusive thing where we think only black lives matter.

Does attempting witticisms count?

I mean, I'm not even sure I understand this quote,

it seems like an attempt at wit, but... not?

And this quote

Isn't driving anyone to madness, but I can agree with the poster that it IS super fucked up on his part, and pretty disgusting.
Maybe spend less time in your locker?
collegetg10.gif

Sorry my "wit" (?) doesn't work for you. Certainly wasn't about you to begin with..I mean, can you quote me quoting you, brother? Where I attacked you? Questioned you? Stop reading into my words. In fact, feel free to ignore me..

Geezuz..
Another Officer dead and another gaf thread shitted up with the anti cop bullshit.
Point out negative vs positive. Someone better..

Maybe spend less time in your locker?
collegetg10.gif

Sorry my "wit" (?) doesn't work for you. Certainly wasn't about you to begin with..I mean, can you quote me quoting you, brother? Where I attacked you? Questioned you? Stop reading into my words. In fact, feel free to ignore me..

Geezuz..

Point out negative vs positive. Someone better..

Wait.

First, you don't have to quote me in order for me to answer the initial question; that's not how discussion forums work.
Second, I'm not attacking you. I'm pointing out statements you made that are either very misunderstood by me, or ill-timed jokes. Unless they weren't ill-timed, in which they could very well fall under the category of 'scoring points.' If anyone went offensive here, you did.

Wait.

First, you don't have to quote me in order for me to answer the initial question; that's not how discussion forums work.
Second, I'm not attacking you. I'm pointing out statements you made that are either very misunderstood by me, or ill-timed jokes. Unless they weren't ill-timed, in which they could very well fall under the category of 'scoring points.' If anyone went offensive here, you did.
I went offensive..do tell. Hurry, though..I don't pay for HBO to miss my 9 p.m. stories..

You decided I had an agenda. Your problem. You're offended? Again, all you. I said dude's comment was ill placed. Guess that makes me a sympathiser of a dead young officer? I added those last words..for the sake of assumption..

Nephtis

You're right that is scary. It's also absolutely fucking disgusting.

Yeah. That is scary, and pretty shitty.

I don't disagree with either of you. I don't know if it's because of all the injustices we see in the media these days - I wasn't rooting for the guy to get killed of course, but at the same time, seeing a cop being a victim, and seeing how it hurts them, for a bit made me think so now they know what it's like to lose a loved one to some crazy gun nut. In most of those cases, the cops seem to be frantically trying to find every reason to defend one of their own. To justify their actions -- like, it's right when they do it, but when someone else does it, it's a terrible crime.

And, y'know, once I realized what I was thinking, I felt pretty bad about it. Any loss of life is shitty, and instead of thinking the way I did, I should be hoping they find the responsible person so that justice is served. So again, I'm not disagreeing with either of you.

Yet, the quoted won't drive me to madness. When I read it, instantly I said "not here, not now." But I understand the question. Shit..if TRUMP said it.. 😉

We should really be focusing on justice. That's what this should be all about. As I stated this morning, that's a sad, young age, and I truly hope they find who is responsible for the sake of his family, his friends, and most importantly, justice being served.

I completely agree with you. I don't know about the "not here, not now" part though - I think it's important we talk about it and come to realize that it's wrong to think the way I have. I know I'm not the only one that felt that way, and I'm more than willing to admit that it was wrong, and frankly, disgusting.

chris121580

I'd be scared as shit walking up to a car in such a vulnerable position every day, often to encounter a potentially dangerous criminal. I honestly feel tense anytime I watch a video where a cop has to do this. All it takes is that one psycho with a warrant out for him and nothing to lose and you're a sitting duck. Not even surprised these guys are wound as tight as they are. Being a cop is a fucked up job and nobody is truly fit for it.
Totally agree. I also find it sad that this thread is 3 pages (50ppp) long whereas if the roles are reversed the thread goes 30+ pages.

Kinthalis

Banned
Totally agree. I also find it sad that this thread is 3 pages (50ppp) long whereas if the roles are reversed the thread goes 30+ pages.

There's a reason for that, you see, when someone kills a cop, you can bet that person will end up meeting justice. Hopefully one way rather than another, but there's no question that justice will be meeted, and that suits me just fine.

When the situation is reversed, however, might as well flip a coin.

RIP to the officer, hopefull they catch the asswipe that did this.

Only thing thats stops a bad guy with a gun, is a good guy with a gun.

The NRA should probably make a statement about how the officer wasnt gunned up enough and that if his gun had a gun he probably would still be alive.

Someone should also compare the lack of justice towards African Americans with the absolute backing of the government and Pds officers get even when theyre the ones killing people.....oh wait.

America gonna America.

FafaFooey

I don't disagree with either of you. I don't know if it's because of all the injustices we see in the media these days - I wasn't rooting for the guy to get killed of course, but at the same time, seeing a cop being a victim, and seeing how it hurts them, for a bit made me think so now they know what it's like to lose a loved one to some crazy gun nut.

Truly amazing. Just wow.

Arkeband

Banned

False equivalency.

Criminals are going to be criminals. Cops will always be in harm's way, that's the job they chose. It's dangerous sometimes, but it's not the most dangerous career by a long shot.

On the other hand, when the 'good guy' cops exhibit institutionalized racism and brutality, yes, you get 30 pages of replies because good guys are not supposed to be bad guys.

So while this is a horrible occurrence the two situations are day and night. You get protests in the streets because change is possible, you wouldn't see marches and outrage because, SURPRISE, a murderer murdered. "Stop murdering, you bad guys!" the signs would read.

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
http://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news...his-police-officer-sean-bolton-caught-n403466

Suspected Killer in Custody After Murder of Memphis Cop 1:36

The man suspected of fatally shooting a Memphis police officer was taken into custody Monday after a nearly-two day manhunt.

Tremaine Wilbourn, 29, who is suspected of killing Memphis Police Officer Sean Bolton, 33, surrendered a bit before 5 p.m. (6 p.m. ET) to the U.S. Marshals Service office, according to police.

Wilbourn was being questioned Monday evening said Memphis Director of Police Services Toney Armstrong, who added he wasn't surprised the suspect surrendered. "You have to understand this has been an exhaustive search … he probably thought it would just be in his best interest to turn himself in," Armstrong said during a news conference.

Bolton was shot multiple times while conducting a traffic stop in southeast Memphis at about 9:18 p.m. (10:18 p.m. ET) Friday night, police said. The driver of the vehicle that was stopped turned himself in on Sunday, but was released without charge.

Investigators have determined that Bolton likely interrupted a drug transaction when he stopped the car Wilbourn was in. A small baggie containing 1.7 grams of marijuana and digital scales were found in the vehicle, according to the Memphis Police Department.

Wilbourn is thought to have been a passenger in the vehicle, and a warrant for first degree murder was issued for his arrest. He had previously been sentenced to 121 months for bank robbery charges, and was out on supervised release, according to Memphis police, who said he was considered armed and dangerous.

Wilbourn was added to the Tennessee Bureau of Investigation's Ten Most Wanted List, and the U.S. Marshalls Service was offering a $10,000 reward for information leading to his arrest, according to police.

Armstrong said he had a brief conversation Monday night with Wilbourn, who told the police director: "'I want you to know that one, I am not a coldblooded killer and two, I'm not a coward.'"

He said he had publically referred to Wilbourn as a "coward" while authorities were searching for him, and apparently, "that didn't sit too well with him."

Memphis Mayor A C Wharton expressed thanks to the Memphis Police Department and U.S. Marshals Service Monday night. "Some worked around the clock to keep the pressure on to let the suspect know that there was no hiding place," he said.

Bolton, a five-year veteran of the force, was wearing a bullet proof vest during the shooting but no body camera, according to police.

He was rushed to the hospital in critical condition Friday night but later died from his injuries. The Associated Press reported that Bolton was a U.S. Marine Corps veteran who had served a tour of duty in Iraq.

Armstrong said Wilbourn's apprehension was "the first step in a very long healing process" for Bolton's family, the Memphis Police Department and the city. "Please keep us in your prayers," he said.

I'm kind of surprised that the car driver was released without any charges. Even if he helped identify the suspect, they have drug possession, and if the murder happened in the course of another crime, I'm surprised he can't be charged as an accomplice.

False equivalency.

Criminals are going to be criminals. Cops will always be in harm's way, that's the job they chose. It's dangerous sometimes, but it's not the most dangerous career by a long shot.

On the other hand, when the 'good guy' cops exhibit institutionalized racism and brutality, yes, you get 30 pages of replies because good guys are not supposed to be bad guys.

So while this is a horrible occurrence the two situations are day and night. You get protests in the streets because change is possible, you wouldn't see marches and outrage because, SURPRISE, a murderer murdered. "Stop murdering, you bad guys!" the signs would read.

Not to mention those 30+ page threads usually have enough people saying the cop was justified and that the victim is at fault and thus no murder. This creates "discussion"

Here everyone pretty much agrees that this cop was murdered and that that's a bad thing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom