• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2016 |OT16| Unpresidented

Status
Not open for further replies.

Brinbe

If those people do not want to be educated, then what? Because that's what we're facing. An electorate that's proud of its ignorance. It's an extremely dispiriting, bitter but truthful reality. And the evidence is all around us. For every informed voter, there's five dumb fucks whose votes count just the same. And as the brain drain accelerates in rural communities, that leaves the same problems in the electoral college.

I guess the real answer is true grassroots change/education at local levels, but you're fighting decades of instilled culture at that point. A whole lotta people like being dumb.

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
If those people do not want to be educated, then what? Because that's what we're facing. An electorate that's proud of its ignorance. It's an extremely dispiriting, bitter but truthful reality. And the evidence is all around us. For every informed voter, there's five dumb fucks whose votes count just the same. And as the brain drain accelerates in rural communities, that leaves the same problems in the electoral college.

I guess the real answer is true grassroots change/education at local levels, but you're fighting decades of instilled culture at that point. A whole lotta people like being dumb.

To quote Isaac Asimov: “Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.'”

The two sides of America have always been at war with one another, powered in part by the small town fear and resentment of the cities overpowering them and leaving them behind. What we're seeing now is like the end result of an equation. The cold war that neo-confederates have waged since the end of the civil war turning once again into as hot a war as it can be without actual bullets flying. (Though technically, the bullets have been flying at anybody who isn't white.)

One of the solutions is grass-root efforts, I agree, because a huge number of people on the left in America are apathetic as fuck and don't grasp how their government works, still. They still don't get local politics, don't care, and even as they oppose the other side, have bought into the idiotic sportsball mentality of American politics.

One might hope that Trumpism is so insane it finally scares a lot of people into action. Because now, at last, many of them perceive a real threat to themselves.

AndyD

aka andydumi
Only a truly deluded trumpette would ever believe he was doing anything other than making fun of that disabled reporter.

He is such a fucking joke

Don't forget some of his audience would do the same then say "i was just joking" or "just kidding" or "i didnt mean it" when confronted. It's classic bullying.

I don't have any optimism that Trump would lose if things are trending negative but not yet awful. Bush's victory in 2004 still stings.

Re: intellectualism. I think one of the big stories this century will be democracy vs. alternative forms of government. Can democracy successfully tackle the huge long-term problems we're facing this century? Or will it end up having to follow the lead of the more autocratic countries like China/Russia?

Nietzsche would probably love how the internet has begun destroying our foundations of objective truth but I think most people would agree that's a very bad thing for society.

Kerry was a weak candidate, we were in the middle of a war many people felt was still justified, 9-11 patriotism was still running high, and the country hadn't exploded yet. Bush was also dopey, but as a person, he wasn't as malicious or divisive as Trump. Most liberals disliked his policies and the people he surrounded himself with, and thought he was dumb, but he wasn't outright hostile to people.

Trump is really divisive and barely won in a situation that seems difficult for him to replicate. You can't run on having no record making you an "outsider" when you have four years of being the president under your belt.

2016-2020 will be looked back on in the future as a blemish in our history, but a minor hiccup in the grand scheme of progress of the country.

studyguy

Eh, if there's anything that has been learned is regardless of how much people spend on downballot, the downside of obstruction weighs heavier on those in power. Conservatives will spend millions but even if Dems do suck at messaging, it's moot when the majority of the country has heard the conservative majority ringing in the new year.

Also Kellyann Conway's 'Ignore what Trump says and look to what's in his heart' is probably the single dumbest phrase I've heard her utter in quite a while. I'm genuinely impressed at her continued ability to cough up gobs of shit on the daily when put to the question.

I mean we'll have to wait and see but remember it's not just Trump that is in control of government, it's Republicans. Republicans will be doing a lot of stuff now and it will energize their base as much as it energizes liberals. I'd also argue some good things will get done, if only by the fact that nothing has gotten done for the last 4-6 years so there's a backlog of normal stuff that Republicans will be able to credit for. The economy will probably be fine too, so I think it'll be similar to the 2004 election in that the trend-line could be negative but things aren't really bad yet so people don't care as much.

The optics of the government actually doing things is very powerful, especially in the context of constant gridlock under a Democratic president. Not Obama or Dems fault, but that's how it's going to look. I think people will respond to that for better and for worse.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
Kerry was a weak candidate, we were in the middle of a war many people felt was still justified, 9-11 patriotism was still running high, and the country hadn't exploded yet. Bush was also dopey, but as a person, he wasn't as malicious or divisive as Trump. Most liberals disliked his policies and the people he surrounded himself with, and thought he was dumb, but he wasn't outright hostile to people.

Trump is really divisive and barely won in a situation that seems difficult for him to replicate. You can't run on having no record making you an "outsider" when you have four years of being the president under your belt.

2016-2020 will be looked back on in the future as a blemish in our history, but a minor hiccup in the grand scheme of progress of the country.

This is my worry. Would not surprise me at all to see the GOP again fabricate information to go to war right near an election.

I mean we'll have to wait and see but remember it's not just Trump that is in control of government, it's Republicans. Republicans will be doing a lot of stuff now and it will energize their base as much as it energizes liberals. I'd also argue some good things will get done, if only by the fact that nothing has gotten done for the last 4-6 years so there's a backlog of normal stuff that Republicans will be able to credit for. The economy will probably be fine too, so I think it'll be similar to the 2004 election in that the trend-line is negative but things aren't really bad yet.

The optics of the government actually doing things is very powerful, especially in the context of constant gridlock under a Democratic president. Not Obama or Dems fault, but that's how it's going to look. I think people will respond to that for better and for worse.

The name of the game in 2020 will be social issues. The GOP's stances on social issues are not popular at all. Not at all. And Trump didn't really run on any of those. But the GOP will. They're true believers. And they'll put them to Trump and he'll sign them. Everyone knows someone who is gay. Whether you live in the middle of nothingburg Kansas, or a huge city. A little over half the population are women. The majority of people believe in evolution. They believe in climate change. All of these will be attacked, probably successfully by the GOP. And the Democrats can leverage that. "They promised you jobs, and failed at giving them, but look what they did to that friendly gay couple down the street"

The name of the game in 2020 will be social issues. The GOP's stances on social issues are not popular at all. Not at all. And Trump didn't really run on any of those. But the GOP will. And they'll put them to Trump and he'll sign them. Everyone knows someone who is gay. Whether you live in the middle of nothingburg Kansas, or a huge city. A little over half the population are women. The majority of people believe in evolution. They believe in climate change. All of these will be attacked, probably successfully by the GOP. And the Democrats can leverage that. "They promised you jobs, and failed at giving them, but look what they did to that friendly gay couple down the street"

The GOP's stances on social issues aren't popular now. Why would people care more in 2020? If the contrast of the first woman president against "Grab them by the pussy" Trump isn't enough to get people motivated than what the fuck is? The economy is going to be fine so we can't count on that.

The GOP is not going to pass national discrimination bills. They're smart enough to let the states do that and dodge the backlash.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
Uh oh--Rand Paul says he is introducing a replacement for ACA this week.

Over/under on the phrase "free market" being said is 157.

People that continue reacting to every piece of Trumpness are falling into his trap. People don't care about his behavior as much as you think, they'll care about his policies and there's also the fact that the press and the media are going to get people numb to all his shit with the constant overexposure. How us here on this thread don't see it is somewhat disconcerting.

Let Trump's idiocy live on his twitter. We have bigger concerns, we should attack his policies, connect his shit policies to his actions and choices and graft a strategy that ensures he will be a 1 term president or get impeachment within his first term. That's not going to happen if we allow every stupid twitter post coming out of him taking our eyes of the what should be the goal.

Sorry for the rant.

People that continue reacting to every piece of Trumpness are falling into his trap. People don't care about his behavior as much as you think, they'll care about his policies and there's also the fact that the press and the media are going to get people numb to all his shit with the constant overexposure. How us here on this thread don't see it is somewhat disconcerting.

Let Trump's idiocy live on his twitter. We have bigger concerns, we should attack his policies, connect his shit policies to his actions and choices and graft a strategy that ensures he will be a 1 term president or get impeachment within his first term. That's not going to happen if we allow every stupid twitter post coming out of him taking our eyes of the what should be the goal.

Sorry for the rant.

This bothers me too but it's not restricted to online communities like GAF or twitter. If anything it's being propagated the most by the media who can exploit it for easy ratings. Covering policies is boring, covering the latest twitter controversy is exciting and full of action. Not saying it's a good thing, but that's what people watch and pay attention to.

The Paul plan will be forgotten by the GOP quickly though, won't have enough corporate hand jobs in it.

Rand Paul last week was all about replacing Obamacare with "FREEDOM"
I expect that to be shoved in there quite a few times and the people to hail it as a victory. Rough times ahead.

The Freedom From Healthcare Act, where we not only make it not a requirement, but an impossibility.

PantherLotus

Professional Schmuck
Today would be a good day to call your MoC, especially your senators. Rather than falling for the Streep trap, I mean.

We even have a script to make it easy.

C1qr36DWQAAA4Gd.jpg

The GOP's stances on social issues aren't popular now. Why would people care more in 2020? If the contrast of the first woman president against "Grab them by the pussy" Trump isn't enough to get people motivated than what the fuck is? The economy is going to be fine so we can't count on that.

The GOP is not going to pass national discrimination bills. They're smart enough to let the states do that and dodge the backlash.

There's a good portion of the GOP who want to pass national discrimination bills. And there will be infighting between people like McConnell who think those are stupid and a waste of time, and Ted Cruz who believes Jesus himself is guiding his hand as he votes yes on a law. It's going to be a big deal. People only don't care now because they think the fights have already been "won" and there's nothing the GOP can do now. That's going to change when bills start getting passed and the courts slowly start allowing them again and the fights have to start all over.

Trump didn't run on social issues. Most of the time he just dodged the questions, or even went against the GOP a few times. A lot of his voters put trust into him to ignore the craziest parts of the GOP. When he doesn't, they'll respond. A lot of them know gay people, are related to them, or whatever. A lot of them are not crazy bible pounding religious people.

And even if the economy stays stable, that isn't enough. Trump promised these people more. He promised them jobs he can't possibly make exist. He promised growth that can't possibly happen. They don't want the economy as it is now, they want to return to a mythical economy that will never exist again, an economy Trump promised them over and over he'd bring back.

Plinko

"Freedom to save as much as you wish in Health Savings Account"

:lol :lol :lol

Most Americans can't save ANY money, let alone something in an HSA. That would be a colossal disaster for the country. I don't wish ill on anyone--even those Trump voters who will lose their coverage with a repeal. But part of me wants to see an HSA-focused health plan be proposed an enacted so the country can immediately see how terrible they are and will never be brought up again.

Only reason they push HSAs is because it gives the banks more money to gamble with.

Which of course is what they will do with SS and Medicare.

There's a good portion of the GOP who want to pass national discrimination bills. And there will be infighting between people like McConnell who think those are stupid and a waste of time, and Ted Cruz who believes Jesus himself is guiding his hand as he votes yes on a law. It's going to be a big deal. People only don't care now because they think the fights have already been "won" and there's nothing the GOP can do now. That's going to change when bills start getting passed and the courts slowly start allowing them again and the fights have to start all over.

Trump didn't run on social issues. Most of the time he just dodged the questions, or even went against the GOP a few times. A lot of his voters put trust into him to ignore the craziest parts of the GOP. When he doesn't, they'll respond. A lot of them know gay people, are related to them, or whatever. A lot of them are not crazy bible pounding religious people.

And even if the economy stays stable, that isn't enough. Trump promised these people more. He promised them jobs he can't possibly make exist. He promised growth that can't possibly happen.

I think this is a mistake. It doesn't matter what Trump promised, he has demonstrated his base supports him no matter what. On the other hand, wary republicans have been brought into the fold because he's about to give them their heart's desire (tax cuts, regulations cut, lower corporate taxes, re-patriation, etc etc). His base and the GOP base are set. The only way that changes is if he violates something they hold sacred - amnesty, abortion, guns, etc. He's not going to do that so...

In some ways you have to view him like a republican Obama. He has a base that is with him and will not abandon him because "he's on their side." Even mis-steps will be brushed off or ignored as long as he doesn't go too far. Achievement over the next four years doesn't matter as much as having "our man in the White House."

Barring a recession or trade war the economy will be good over the next few years. Americans have already demonstrated they don't give a shit about the rights of various minority groups so I don't really buy the idea that banning trans women from using female bathrooms is going to spark anything, for instance. IF Trump is going to lose it's going to happen because democrats have a candidate who turns out the base in force, and said candidate has the potential to win over fence sitters and others who regret their Trump vote.

We just watched republicans make the same mistake twice against Obama and lose big (08, 12). Let's not dust off their playbook for 2020 and expect Trump's base to abandon him based on our own biases and narratives ("he's a failure, why can't they see it!").

I think this is a mistake. It doesn't matter what Trump promised, he has demonstrated his base supports him no matter what. On the other hand, wary republicans have been brought into the fold because he's about to give them their heart's desire (tax cuts, regulations cut, lower corporate taxes, re-patriation, etc etc). His base and the GOP base are set. The only way that changes is if he violates something they hold sacred - amnesty, abortion, guns, etc. He's not going to do that so...

In some ways you have to view him like a republican Obama. He has a base that is with him and will not abandon him because "he's on their side." Even mis-steps will be brushed off or ignored as long as he doesn't go too far. Achievement over the next four years doesn't matter as much as having "our man in the White House."

Barring a recession or trade war the economy will be good over the next few years. Americans have already demonstrated they don't give a shit about the rights of various minority groups so I don't really buy the idea that banning trans women from using female bathrooms is going to spark anything, for instance. IF Trump is going to lose it's going to happen because democrats have a candidate who turns out the base in force, and said candidate has the potential to win over fence sitters and others who regret their Trump vote.

We just watched republicans make the same mistake twice against Obama and lose big (08, 12). Let's not dust off their playbook for 2020 and expect Trump's base to abandon him based on our own biases and narratives ("he's a failure, why can't they see it!").

Who cares about Trump's base? We're never getting them. We never were. They aren't Trump's base. They're hard core GOP voters. After Trump fades away, they'll go ahead and believe every word the next GOP rising star says.

But there's quite a lot of Trump voters who did not buy into the cult of personality, and actually do think Trump knows how to make the country better and find them jobs. Trump barely won, he needs to hold onto these people. He can't afford to lose any voters at all. And with four years and nothing to show for it, how is he going to excite these people again? And going against an energized Democrat base ready to take back power?

so I don't really buy the idea that banning trans women from using female bathrooms is going to spark anything, for instance
What a weird thing to post with 2016 NC's election, which was basically a referendum on trans rights. We know it sparks energy from Democrats. It literally happened this election!

Conservative groups plan to pressure Democrats on Trump's Supreme Court pick.

One group is spending at least $10 million on ads and concentrating on Democrats up for reelection in states that Donald J. Trump won last year.

Also, Manchin you suck.

Supporting Trump picks isn't going to be a good reelection strategy me thinks. Remember how well it worked for Dems not to stand with Obama? I think that's about how well supporting Trump picks will work for Dems in states Trump won.

studyguy

Expecting the bulk of US citizens to be able to manage their own health care seems like a scary prospect when the majority of them haven't been able to manage their personal finances. Honestly I'm just most worried for people like my aunt and girlfriend's sister who both have serious illnesses and both live off savings for now since they've been unable to work.

My aunt is finally in remission and regaining strength and my girlfriend's sister is literally living with some kind of tumor pressing against the back of her brain that no one seems to be able to be willing to operate on. Shit's scary, things like cancer and crazy illnesses like that are bankruptcies waiting to happen for people who are unprepared.

God I hope so. It's going to be a long four years whether you're right or not though.

And even if the economy stays stable, that isn't enough. Trump promised these people more. He promised them jobs he can't possibly make exist. He promised growth that can't possibly happen. They don't want the economy as it is now, they want to return to a mythical economy that will never exist again, an economy Trump promised them over and over he'd bring back.

Hillary won with voters who felt the economy was the most important issue, not Trump. The people driving Trump's victory are not economy voters. As long the economy is stable his voters won't care one way or the other.

As for social issues, I couldn't disagree more. I'm not sure how you can look at the "grab them by the pussy" incident and think that Trump suddenly coming out against gay marriage would be more damaging. Liberals are setting themselves up for failure if this is our 2018/2020 strategy. Not only is there no real message or goal in that approach that Hillary wasn't already following, but it's predicated completely on the GOP overreaching. So if they don't make a move you lose by default.

Liberals can keep falling for the shiny object distraction and focus on all the extreme guys like Cruz at our own peril; we can argue about social issues all we want but if Republicans keep getting away with voter disenfranchisement and things like that it's not going to matter. If you want to see what social issues can do just look at NC. Like Hillary could have, Democrats narrowly win the executive branch but the rest of the government remains firmly in Republican control. America is very divided on social issues, there is not some secret super-majority of trans-friendly people who just need a catalyst to suddenly vote for democrats.

"Freedom to save as much as you wish in Health Savings Account"

:lol :lol :lol

Most Americans can't save ANY money, let alone something in an HSA. That would be a colossal disaster for the country. I don't wish ill on anyone--even those Trump voters who will lose their coverage with a repeal. But part of me wants to see an HSA-focused health plan be proposed an enacted so the country can immediately see how terrible they are and will never be brought up again.

I don't disagree at all but the HSA is the quintessential old-GOP style policy proposal; make people individually responsible for a societal problem that only the government can solve and then blame people for not working hard enough when it doesn't succeed. It's the exact type of thing I would argue with normal Republicans about if we weren't in the Twilight Zone.

kirblar

You need to do the solid basic ground game campaigning and infrastructure. Do that, you should win normal national elections. Fail to do it, you will lose.

Issue is that it's not "sexy" or "inspiring" or conducive to slactivism. It requires resources, man hours and work.

There is always going to be that 35%, that support republicans no matter what. However, when the rest of the nation has to deal with losing health insurance and losing social security, losing planned parenthood, etc. they will see how both sides arent the same. He's already been making belligerent foreign policy decisions and he hasn't even been sworn into office yet.

I do agree that 2018 and 2020 we better bring it all. We can't get lazy or think enough people will be disgusted by all of Trump's antics to vote against him as that's how we lost this one. I had always thought a good slogan for Hillary would've been something like "United we stand". I feel they should've gone after how Trump only divides the country. 2018/2020 elections should focus on republicans obstructionism and divisive rhetoric dividing us. It's hard to predict where we will be in the next few years, much less the next few months as a nation under Trump. However, I feel that attacking him on economic issues and foreign policy will be good targets. While I'm optimistic and think that most people are a lot more progressive on social issues than we realize. Social issues alone don't motivate enough socially progressive people to the voting booths.

Wilsongt

On Sunday, FCA US, the parent company of Fiat and Chrysler, announced that it will spend $1 billion to expand plants in Michigan and Ohio and create 2,000 more jobs in the U.S. The move, as the company made clear in its press release, is simply the next phase in an expansion plan it announced last year and comes on top of billions of previous investments that created thousands of jobs.

“This plan was in the works back in 2015,” Jodi Tinson, a spokeswoman for FCA, told ThinkProgress. “This announcement…was just final confirmation.”

It's fucking sad that now companies have to clearly state their decision to build or create jobs in the US was not Trump's doing.

But still...

Donald J. Trump‏ @realDonaldTrump
Ford said last week that it will expand in Michigan and U.S. instead of building a BILLION dollar plant in Mexico. Thank you Ford & Fiat C!

3h
It's finally happening - Fiat Chrysler just announced plans to invest $1BILLION in Michigan and Ohio plants, adding 2000 jobs. This after...

Such a fucking narcissist.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
It's fucking sad that now companies have to clearly state their decision to build or create jobs in the US was not Trump's doing.

But still...

Ford said last week that it will expand in Michigan and U.S. instead of building a BILLION dollar plant in Mexico. Thank you Ford & Fiat C!

3h
It's finally happening - Fiat Chrysler just announced plans to invest $1BILLION in Michigan and Ohio plants, adding 2000 jobs. This after...

Such a fucking narcissist.

I FUCKING CALLED IT!! I KNEW HE'D DO THIS SHIT!!

This is the classic fucking Rainmaker.

This is exactly the sort of thing the Dems need to figure out how to fight against. They need to find a way to expose the con for what it is if they want to win in four years.

Plinko

Wilsongt

Thank you, Secretary Kerry.

Allegra KirklandJANUARY 9, 2017

Outgoing Secretary of State John Kerry on Monday apologized for the State Department’s past discrimination against LGBTI employees, calling for a renewed commitment to “diversity and inclusion for all our employees.”

“In the past – as far back as the 1940s, but continuing for decades – the Department of State was among many public and private employers that discriminated against employees and job applicants on the basis of perceived sexual orientation, forcing some employees to resign or refusing to hire certain applicants in the first place,” Kerry said in a statement. “These actions were wrong then, just as they would be wrong today.”

The State Department head said he appointed the first ever Special Envoy for the Human Rights of LGBTI Persons as part of the Obama administration's effort to promote LGBTI rights globally.

This effort has come under scrutiny by some individuals associated with the next administration. Tony Perkins, president of the Family Research Council and an ally of Donald Trump, has called for Kerry's successor to reverse the Obama administration’s effort to “export the LGBTQ agenda globally” through the State Department.

The employer of Trump's secretary of state nominee, ExxonMobil CEO Rex Tillerson, has faced scrutiny in the past for its record on gay rights. The oil giant eliminated a policy preventing discrimination on the basis of sexual orientation in 1999. It only reintroduced protections based on sexual orientation and gender identity in 2015, after President Barack Obama issued an executive order requiring companies that contract with the federal government to protect LGBTI workers from discrimination.

Plinko

Would Trump and the GOP be so stupid as to start a nuclear war? It would have devastating consequences they must know about...

Remember what Scarborough reported Trump said in the meetings with republican officials.

PInk Tape

Banned
Seriously, between this and the Taiwan news what's the point of planning too far in advance?

Or planning at all.

Would Trump and the GOP be so stupid as to start a nuclear war? It would have devastating consequences they must know about...

Honestly, I'm not really sure at this point.

The fact that they're just letting Trump fire people with importance with no replacements or replacements who have no experience/business being in the position that they're in doesn't give me much confidence.

Ogodei

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom