• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2017 |OT1| From Russia with Love

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dierce

I think it is time for Apple and Google to use their mobile platforms to launch a subversive campaign against orange turd and his fascist regime. They can effectively become a news media powerhouse overnight and drastically alter political discourse in the country.

jmdajr

Trump's threat might have worked better if there was any details or substance given to the threat.

Like, what are the consequences for Iran doing these tests when they're ON NOTICE?

tumblr_oefj2rzAbR1shsq9jo1_500_zpsewkmw430.gif

There really is no Christian vote, it's all racial. The breakdown of the votes between whites and minorities among the various denominations are mirror images of each other.
Well this isn't *quite* right. Trump won white Catjolics and white mainline protestants, but only narrowly. That probably has more to do with geography than anything, but white evangelicals vote differently than white catholics and white mainline protestants. He dunked with white evangelicals.

sc0la

Unconfirmed Member
"Violence is never the answer!"

ModerateMan's next column: "Why an invasion of Iran would be in the best interest of humanity."
"Violence is never the answer"
*5 minutes later*
"Sometimes black people will be shot in the back by police, but thats the cost to keep us safe"

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
There really is no Christian vote, it's all racial. The breakdown of the votes between whites and minorities among the various denominations are mirror images of each other.

Eh, this isn't totally accurate. Beliefs on abortion play a huge role here.

I mean if Trump and Bannon think a war with Iran is going to help rather than hurt them, they're kinda incredibly wrong. Very quickly leaders around the world are realizing that Trump is a whiny baby and are not interested in treating him with any kind of respect.

Abortion is one of those really, really fucky issues for Christians. Like, I'm an NDP Voter here in Canada (and would have voted for Clinton had the foreign ballot registration not taken fucking forever) but I'm nearly 100% anti - abortion(I'd much rather have birth control be free then have abortion, mostly because I'd rather prevent unwanted pregnancies from occurring in the first place.). Yet whenever I talk to my American relatives, the issue of Abortion is basically the sole reason why they vote R despite believing in what Democrats say outside of Abortion.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
Abortion is one of those really, really fucky issues for Christians. Like, I'm an NDP Voter here in Canada (and would have voted for Clinton had the foreign ballot registration not taken fucking forever) but I'm nearly 100% anti - abortion(I'd much rather have birth control be free then have abortion, mostly because I'd rather prevent unwanted pregnancies from occurring in the first place.). Yet whenever I talk to my American relatives, the issue of Abortion is basically the sole reason why they vote R despite believing in what Democrats say outside of Abortion.

100% agreed, and I'm pretty much in a similar position. There are millions of voters who make abortion their lone issue.

Davide

Yet whenever I talk to my American relatives, the issue of Abortion is basically the sole reason why they vote R despite believing in what Democrats say outside of Abortion.

Canadian here too, that's how most of my family would vote too if American, mainly Catholic.

Without the abortion issue Hillary would have easily won. Heard about lots of pastors/priests focusing on abortion just before the election.

Canadian here too, that's how most of my family would vote too if American.

Without the abortion issue Hillary would have easily won. Heard about lots of pastors/priests focusing on abortion just before the election.

The people who care about abortion as their single issue are not Democrat voters or even swing voters. Only one party is against abortion.

Crocodile

You think Black and Hispanic Evangelicals care less about abortion? Why? My life experiences tell me that if the GOP wasn't so obviously explicitly or implicitly racist, they could get a lot of PoC to vote for them - there is a lot in the "idealized" conservative platform (I.e. what they say they stand for rather than what they actually stand for) that would appeal to conservative PoC.

Zukkoyaki

Nope, nowhere close to true in my experience. Yes, it is an issue, but abortion is THE factor for evangelicals.
Same. I grew up rural Missouri and most everyone is far more outspoken against abortion than "radical islam" and such. To this day I'm shocked that so many let that single issue sway their opinion so much.

so why isnt abortion THE factor for black Christians?

This is purely anecdotal but it seems like black Christians pay far greater attention to the "love they neighbor" parts of the bible than a lot of white Christians. Probably has a lot to do with their history of being marginalized and wanting to maintain good relations.

Many are Republican mainly because of it.

The Democrats are not going to ever be against abortion, so those aren't voters Democrats will ever have and shouldn't care at all what they think.

The closest you'd get would be someone like Joe Biden, whose personally against abortion, but doesn't believe the government has a right to make that decision.

From Joe Biden's top National Security Aide on the Yemen raid:

Colin Kahl ‏@ColinKahl 1h1 hour ago

Team Trump claim that Obama cleared Yemen raid false;was deferred to Trump so he could run a deliberate process. Instead, he hosted dinner.

Colin Kahl ‏@ColinKahl 23m23 minutes ago

Obama also said "measure twice, cut once." Trump cuts twice, doesn't measure & then gets diverted back to crowd size

Yeah, abortion is a tough one. How do you talk someone down from hard-line opposition to (what they see as) baby slaughter?

Their paired opposition to birth control and sex ed as a way to reduce abortion is kinda fucky, but for a lot of the abortion opponents I know it's a real "see red" issue.

tuxfool

Banned
I do want to point out that a common chant is "No Trump, no KKK, no fascist USA", so it's pretty easy to connect it as a slogan of types.

True, but it is more about the snark. Fox news doesn't deal with nuance so they don't really deserve any nuanced equivocation over the messages they choose to put out.

Davide

The Democrats are not going to ever be against abortion, so those aren't voters Democrats will ever have and shouldn't care at all what they think.
Of course they should care what they think. You really don't care about winning more voters over after the last election?

The case to make is the Republicans don't care about life after you're born and are actually worse for life in general. Health care, refugees, environment, etc. The Pope tried to convince Catholics/Christians to care about the environment too just as much as or even more than abortion.

tbm24

Graham says he's pushing a committee into Russia cyber attacks into the US and around the world. Going to push for new sanctions on top of what's already in place. We'll see how far Trump is willing to go for his bromance.

Don't have a source in writing, just what he spoke on CNN just now.

Of course they should care what they think. You really don't care about winning more voters over after the last election?

The case to make is the Republicans don't care about life after you're born and are actually worse for life in general. Health care, refugees, environment, etc. The Pope tried to convince Catholics/Christians to care about the environment too just as much as or even more than abortion.

If someone truly believes that abortion is murdering babies and that the Democrats are baby murderers, there's not really much the Democrats could say or do, short of agreeing with them, that will change that.

Davide

If someone truly believes that abortion is murdering babies and that the Democrats are baby murderers, there's not really much the Democrats could say or do, short of agreeing with them, that will change that.
As someone who sees abortion as murder, I'd still vote Democrat. So it's not impossible.

Graham says he's pushing a committee into Russia cyber attacks into the US and around the world. Going to push for new sanctions on top of what's already in place. We'll see how far Trump is willing to go for his bromance.
I'll start giving a damn when we see real legislation.

On a somewhat ironic note, abortion was probably the most fruitfully discussed issue during the debates. I thought Kaine was a really great advocate for that and laid a strong and passionate defense that had Pence on the backstep.

Yeah, abortion is a tough one. How do you talk someone down from hard-line opposition to (what they see as) baby slaughter?

Their paired opposition to birth control and sex ed as a way to reduce abortion is kinda fucky, but for a lot of the abortion opponents I know it's a real "see red" issue.

It's very gradual and probably have to reach young people. My wife attended pro-life rallies as a teenager but now is very pro-choice. I take some credit for it because I've talked about it a lot over the years. She is a Catholic by the way. And wants less abortions to occur but ultimately believes you have to let the parent(s) decide. Plus we believe in things like healthcare and contraception to bring rates down. It's crazy to me that Catholics will focus on abortion legislation rather than healthcare.

Plinko

You think Black and Hispanic Evangelicals care less about abortion? Why? My life experiences tell me that if the GOP wasn't so obviously explicitly or implicitly racist, they could get a lot of PoC to vote for them - there is a lot in the "idealized" conservative platform (I.e. what they say they stand for rather than what they actually stand for) that would appeal to conservative PoC.

Wat

That's nowhere near what I was implying. All I meant was that abortion plays a bigger role with voting than racial divide.

Here's how I would if I was a democratic candidate:

I use the Bible. I run on Jesus' message about treating the poor and immigrants. I use these verses and words frequently, and I run media that draws sharp contrasts between what the Bible actually says and what republicans actually do.

At the very least, you put people in the position of admitting they're hypocrites. I have a feeling this would drive down voting numbers among some Christian republican voters, which could be enough.

so why isnt abortion THE factor for black Christians?
Because a lot of black christians are probably pro-choice in nature but identify as pro life in polling to preserve their "religiousness". Abortion has never been a huge issue in the communities I've been in and they were all in Texas. It's not nearly half of the big ticket issue white christians have made it out to be among themselves.

Anecdotal, I know but the March for Life I passed by in SF was very very white and latino and not black at all. Maybe that's because of the churches represented but I doubt abortion is a single issue for like any more than 10-20% of black voters.

This is purely anecdotal but it seems like black Christians pay far greater attention to the "love they neighbor" parts of the bible than a lot of white Christians. Probably has a lot to do with their history of being marginalized and wanting to maintain good relations.
To be completely honest, the only biblical hot button issue black people really cared about was gay marriage. But they're not gonna vote against any Dem candidate because of it.

Vixdean

Between Russia amping up attacks in Ukraine, Iran/NK testing missiles, and China flexing its nuts, how long will it take before people start to realize maybe Obama wasn't so weak on FP after all?

Wilsongt

Between Russia amping up attacks in Ukraine, Iran/NK testing missiles, and China flexing its nuts, how long will it take before people start to realize maybe Obama wasn't so weak after all?

To a lot of the country, he will always be considered a weak and terrible president becauase loss of civil liberties and drone strikes.

aTTckr

Why has abortion become so important to American christians though? Was just the hyping of issue by Republicans because they knew it would be a winning topic for them politically, or why is the opposition to abortion so extreme in the US compared to the rest of the western world? When it comes to other social issues, for example gay marriage, public opionion seemed to become more liberal faster than in other countries.

Anecdotal, but the religious Latino catholics I knew in school are pretty anti-abortion. I'm not sure how they or their parents normally vote, except one friend's mom who I know is a Democrat.

If white evangelicals cared that much about abortion, they would not like Trump and would have voted him as a lesser of two evils thing. Trump openly called for Tiffany's fetus to have been aborted on Howard Stern.

But this isn't the case! White evangelicals are constantly polled as actually liking Trump and they didn't vote him as a lesser of two evils.

White evangelicals may more openly talk about abortion being why they're conservative, but conservative white evangelicals are more driven by a hatred of Islam.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom