• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2017 |OT1| From Russia with Love

Status
Not open for further replies.

Blader

Doesn't it make the Republican Party seem weak if they're holding a Senate majority and have to rely on the VP to cast a tie-breaking vote to confirm their own party's president's nominee? Cabinet votes are rarely, if ever, that close (edit: apparently a VP has never had to be called in to confirm a cabinet nominee) and having it come when both the White House and the Senate majority are from the same party seems like a poor reflection of the GOP's power.

Yeah, this wouldn't be so bad for a couple years into his term. A couple weeks into his term though? Yikes. Not saying those numbers can't improve of course, but not a good place to be right now.

Exactly. I just don't think he's at either +6 or -9, considering he did just win the presidency with 46% of the vote.

Doesn't it make the Republican Party seem weak if they're hold a Senate majority and have to rely on the VP to cast a tie-breaking vote to confirm their own party's president's nominee? Cabinet votes are rarely, if ever, that close and having it come when both the White House and the Senate are from the same party seems like a poor reflection of the GOP's power.
Yes! Republican weakness and White House incompetence should be the theme of every dem guest. These people aren't just evil; they are fuck-ups, too. I wish we could actually stop DeVos, purely for the symbolic value and rage it would inspire in Trump personally.

mo60

Exactly. I just don't think he's at either +6 or -9, considering he did just win the presidency with 46% of the vote.

A few people voted for him because they hated the other person. Some of these people may have stopped supporting trump now.

Blader

What's an incompetent thing Trump could do that would turn randos against him because of his incompetence that would cost the fewest amount of lives?

Mexican import tariff / trade war with Mexico that makes, among other things, produce suddenly insanely expensive for everyone.

Emerson

May contain jokes =>
What's an incompetent thing Trump could do that would turn randos against him because of his incompetence that would cost the fewest amount of lives?

He could trip down some stairs and shit himself on national TV

I recently wrote a short story about a similar subject.

Blader

Friend of mine on Facebook posted that Thom Tillis is undecided on DeVos and wants to hear from people. Seeing this on Twitter too. Anyone else know if that's true?

Tillis phone numbers just in case:
(919) 856-4630
(202) 224-6342

smokeymicpot

Beat EviLore at pool.
Bunch of assholes really.

https://www.niacouncil.org/bills-repeal-trump-ban-backed-nearly-congressional-democrats/

Washington, DC – Legislation to rescind Donald Trump’s Executive Order that bans travel for nationals of seven countries has already garnered the support of nearly every Democrat in the House and Senate.

In the House, 185 of the 196 Democrats in the chamber have signed onto legislation offered by Zoe Lofgren (D-CA) and John Conyers, Jr. (D-MI), the Statue of Liberty Values Act (SOLVE/H.R.724). The bill would rescind Trump’s executive order and prohibit any funding to enforce it. House Democrats held a series of speeches yesterday on the floor in support of repealing the ban and asked for unanimous consent to vote on the bill, which was blocked.

While no Republican in the House or the Senate has signed onto the legislation, a number of them have expressed opposition or concern with Trump’s order. It is unclear if Republicans lawmakers will offer any alternative measure to address the concerns they have raised with the ban.

phisheep

NeoGAF's Chief Barrister
Right, it's extremely inconsistent to think abortion is murder and go along with people who believe in it. It's one thing to think it's immoral, but to specifically use the word murder is not compatible with someone going along with it.

It may be inconsistent, but it is not necessarily un-Christian; along the lines of turn the other cheek, and judge not lest you be judged, and Father forgive them for they know not what they do.

Davide

Right, it's extremely inconsistent to think abortion is murder and go along with people who believe in it. It's one thing to think it's immoral, but to specifically use the word murder is not compatible with someone going along with it.
So you think these people should vote Trump and be single issue voters?

Hillary would have killed them first with her bare hands. Duh.

I can easily imagine two Trump voters huddled in a house as it's about to flood and kill them and one guy is like "You know, I love Trump but maybe Hillary wouldn't have let this happen" and the other guy lets out the primal scream of "BUT HER EMAILS" as the last thing he says before he dies.

UberTag

DAMNNNNNNN

C3qyRsIUEAEUvf2.jpg:large
"I won! If I don't know how to be President, then how come I won?"

Zukkoyaki

I can easily imagine two Trump voters huddled in a house as it's about to flood and kill them and one guy is like "You know, I love Trump but maybe Hillary wouldn't have let this happen" and the other guy lets out the primal scream of "BUT HER EMAILS" as the last thing he says before he dies.

Then a MAGA hat slowly floats by as the camera goes dark

Sessions passed an initial vote by the Senate. Confirmation still set for next week.

45 No's.

Manchin needs to be stripped of his D, he's giving it a bad name.

"Coal waste in streams, let's go!" was filibustered by the Dems.

Manchin, McCaskill, Donnelly, and Heitkamp (the four Dems in super conservative states that love fossil fuels) voted for the bill, but it needed 9 Dems (since Collins voted no).

Sessions was just confirmed by the Senate.

45 No's.

Manchin needs to be stripped of his D, he's giving it a bad name.

Wait wait wait....

This gives only 49 votes for DeVos?

Why would they time it like this?

Ogodei

"Coal waste in streams, let's go!" was filibustered by the Dems.

Manchin, McCaskill, Donnelly, and Heitkamp (the four Dems in super conservative states that love fossil fuels) voted for the bill, but it needed 9 Dems (since Collins voted no).

Wait wait wait....

This gives only 49 votes for DeVos?

Why would they time it like this?

I doubt they care that much about DeVos at the end of the day. It's on Dep Ed.

kirblar

Manchin is from WV.

Of course he's not part of the fillibuster. His base wants any scapegoat they can get to explain why their awful coal mining jobs disappeared.

55% disapprove of travel ban now if someone wants to source it and make a thread. I'm on mobile and working

https://twitter.com/MarkHarrisNYC/status/827217337149489152

bb7G8Oc.jpg

So will people stop saying that 49% are fully on board with Trump's EO?

THIS is much better because respondents have to choose between Good/Bad/Maybe instead of shit like "somewhat agree" and "somewhat disagree".

55% ALREADY disapprove of Trump's EO, and it'll only get higher as more people are affected by it.

Away we go.

EXCLUSIVE: U.S. expected to impose additional sanctions on Iranian entities as early as Friday - sources

https://twitter.com/Reuters/status/827247756557287425

The EU, Russian and China won't follow. Meaningless posturing. These people don't fucking understand how much work Obama did. And were gonna end up in a war with Iran.

And btw if we do Iran I'm sure has assets in the US and would have no problem targeting on the US mainland.

This is likely because they can do it.

They don't have access to voter files in all states. States administer elections.

smokeymicpot

Beat EviLore at pool.
The EU, Russian and China won't follow. Meaningless posturing. These people don't fucking understand how much work Obama did. And were gonna end up in a war with Iran.

And btw if we do Iran I'm sure has assets in the US and would have no problem targeting on the US mainland.

Thing about Iran that confuses me is Russia. Aren't they allies Russia and Iran. Or does Putin really don't give a shit about Iran and wants Trump to edge them on.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom