• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2017 |OT3| 13 Treasons Why

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nordicus

He cant. He has to fire Rosenstein in order to fire Mueller. Same Rosenstein who he praised. Give him a few months.
According to Supreme Court lawyer Neal Katyal Trump has an alternate route through which he can fire Mueller without getting rid of Rosenstein first.

It however requires him publicly repealing the special-counsel regulations of 1999 that stop him from doing that.

It is more thoroughly explained in Katyal's WaPo article: Trump or Congress can still block Robert Mueller. I know. I wrote the rules.

FyreWulff

According to Supreme Court lawyer Neal Katyal Trump has an alternate route through which he can fire Mueller without getting rid of Rosenstein first.

It however requires him publicly repealing the special-counsel regulations of 1999 that stop him from doing that.

It is more thoroughly explained in Katyal's WaPo article: Trump or Congress can still block Robert Mueller. I know. I wrote the rules.

like at that point congress would have no choice to impeach or we'd see a dem wave like we never seen before

2/3 senate majority seems insurmountable...

Even if the Dems get a majority by 2020, what are the odds substantial numbers of Republicans vote to oust the big guy?

My guess is it would be dependent on Trump's popularity tanking to the point where they decide there's more to lose, politically, by siding with Trump than there is from angering his base with impeachment.

Historically, is impeachment unpopular? For instance, were there congressmen that lost their seats over it?

There's very few examples to go on.

Republicans paid a political price for impeaching Bill Clinton, as they actually lost seats in the 1998 midterms (one of the rare occasions where the president's party made a net gain in the House in a midterm election). Of note, however, is that Clinton was popular and polls showed that most voters did not support impeachment.

Republicans also lost seats in 1868 after impeaching Andrew Johnson, though they still had a huge majority. I'm not sure how much of that can be attributed to impeachment versus the Democrats basically having nowhere to go but up (prior to the election they had fewer than 1/4 of the seats in both chambers).

Non-example, but perhaps instructive. Richard Nixon resigned before he could be impeached, but Democrats made significant gains in the 1974 midterms, adding nearly 50 seats in the House. Some gains were to be expected due to normal midterm dynamics, but that's an awful lot of seats for a party that already had a majority in the House, and Watergate is seen as being a big part of that. It's doubtful that impeaching Nixon would've hurt the Democrats had it come to that.

Long story short, there's not much data to go on, but likely it depends strongly on the circumstances. It all depends on if the public perceives a major scandal or a witch hunt.

@BeschlossDC
Nixon in Saudi Arabia while fending off Watergate scandal, June 1974: #Halstead

DANx5l1UMAEh2XV.jpg

He really is going for the speed run.

broz0rs

"CNN: Intercepted communications show Russians believed they would be able to use Flynn to influence Trump and his advisers."

CygnusXS

will gain confidence one day
"CNN: Intercepted communications show Russians believed they would be able to use Flynn to influence Trump and his advisers."

Pretty suggestive that Trump wasn't directly involved in collusion then? Good thing he's boned himself with this obstruction stuff.

sc0la

Unconfirmed Member
Man. This is why I was "sad" Flynn got pushed out when he did. The longer he stayed the more damage he would have done to the administration. But it's probably better for America he didn't stick around as long :/

FyreWulff

Man. This is why I was "sad" Flynn got pushed out when he did. The longer he stayed the more damage he would have done to the administration. But it's probably better for America he didn't stick around as long :/

well, trump has apparently considered re-hiring him, so he may make the floor lava again

Teggy

While I'm not ready to believe Trump was not involved because he lies way too much, it probably wouldn't surprise me if he was a puppet in the whole thing because he seems really, really dumb.

So it's looking more and more likely that Zuckerberg and Dwayne "The Rock" Johnson will both be contenders in the 2020 primaries. Just watched Dwayne's interview on Jimmy Fallon talking about the Presidential run rumors and it was straight up mortifying watching people cheer and clamor for him to run as if electing a celebrity with no governing experience hasn't been backfiring from day one. I really hope we avoid this kind of stupidity. I don't want to have to watch Kamala Harris humor some debate between herself, Zuckerberg, Johnson and Kanye West just because we think the presidency is comparable to the MTV movie awards.

jesus fucking christ seeing santorum smirk on cnn while being asked about the russians bragging about controlling flynn. throw yourself into the sun you stupid ignorant human cancer motherfucker

Teggy

So it's looking more and more likely that Zuckerberg and Dwayne "The Rock" Johnson will both be contenders in the 2020 primaries. Just watched Dwayne's interview on Jimmy Fallon talking about the Presidential run rumors and it was straight up mortifying watching people cheer and clamor for him to run as if electing a celebrity with no governing experience hasn't been backfiring from day one. I really hope we avoid this kind of stupidity. I don't want to have to watch Kamala Harris humor some debate between herself, Zuckerberg, Johnson and Kanye West just because we think the presidency is comparable to the MTV movie awards.

Why would anyone have the appetite for a non-politician after this disaster?

Lol

Back-to-back WWF Hall of Famers for President. Is McMahon the true shadow government? If Nikolai Volkoff appears, I'm out.

Zolo

So how long before Trump decides to go 'Fuck it!' and pardons Flynn along with firing Rosenstein, so he can put someone there to fire Mueller?

I figure it shouldn't be that long with how obviously guilty he is and them targeting Kushner now.

So how long before Trump decides to go 'Fuck it!' and pardons Flynn along with firing Rosenstein, so he can put someone there to fire Mueller?

I figure it shouldn't be that long with how obviously guilty he is and them targeting Kushner now.

Very real possibility since it's the fastest approach, at least according to Trump. I mean he did it with Comey and he'll go after this route again.

Armaros

T_D collapsing in on itself on reddit AND getting rejected by VOAT AND VOAT dying all at once is just too much.

Too much goodness.

Armaros

Please describe the carnage.

T_D mods broke some rules by encouraging doxxing and harassment so they got demodded, T_D goes private in response and declares a migration over to VOAT.

The current residents of VOAT reject them and complain that they just want to take control of the service with their standard modding (they begin mass banning people in the new VOAT T_D subvoat)

And VOAT itself can't afford the server fees anymore and is in danger of getting shut down.

This week is too much! too many bombs!

T_D mods broke some rules by encouraging doxxing and harassment so they got demodded, T_D goes private in response and declares a migration over to VOAT.

The current residents of VOAT reject them and complain that they just want to take control of the service with their standard modding (they begin mass banning people in the new VOAT T_D subvoat)

And VOAT itself can't afford the server fees anymore and is in danger of getting shut down.

This week is too much! too many bombs!

Delicious

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom