• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2017 |OT3| 13 Treasons Why

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'd be all for "America First" if it were about America fixing its infrastructure, fixing its healthcare system, fixing its social welfare system, modernizing its energy grid, and preparing for the employment holocaust that automation will wreak in the next few decades. Our interventionist actions the last few decades have been pretty crummy, outside of very uncontroversial stuff like money for HIV prevention in Africa and the like, and I think internal improvement is necessary for the US to be an effective member of the global leadership team.

Why does it have to be one or the other? Why not kill two birds with stone by having a training program for jobs in healthcare, infrastructure, education, clean energy, and cyber security, but also have a big chunk of that be military based in allowing the US military to be more capable in doing the kind of intervention that the world actually likes?

PBY

Banned
Why does it have to be one or the other? Why not kill two birds with stone by having a training program for jobs in healthcare, infrastructure, education, clean energy, and cyber security, but also have a big chunk of that be military based in allowing the US military to be more capable in doing the kind of intervention that the world actually likes?
I don't trust anyone in our government to do "the kind of intervention the world actually likes".

Roger Stone‏
@RogerJStoneJr

Instead of meeting with the Saudis @realDonaldTrump should be demanding they pay for the attack on America on 9/11 which they financed.

Roger Stone‏
@RogerJStoneJr

Candidly this makes me want to puke #JaredsIdea

TOTAL CUCK

kirblar

http://www.nbcnews.com/storyline/de...pro-trump-democratic-mayor-down-dumps-n762541
DASWA5fXcAEXyA7.jpg
Get dunked.

Nordicus

I'd be all for "America First" if it were about America fixing its infrastructure, fixing its healthcare system, fixing its social welfare system, modernizing its energy grid, and preparing for the employment holocaust that automation will wreak in the next few decades. Our interventionist actions the last few decades have been pretty crummy, outside of very uncontroversial stuff like money for HIV prevention in Africa and the like, and I think internal improvement is necessary for the US to be an effective member of the global leadership team.
"But that takes governing and work, I dun wanna"

Trump's approval ticked down on Gallup to 37%.

Wouldn't make a big deal about a 1% decrease other than that it's been frozen at 38% for quite some time.

Trump's approval ticked down on Gallup to 37%.

Wouldn't make a big deal about a 1% decrease other than that it's been frozen at 38% for quite some time.

For reference Trump's low point is still 3/28 with 35%+/59%-

Honestly you guys shouldn't be expecting any jumps or cliffs at this point. Death by thousand cuts isn't about big sudden changes. It's about solidifying Trump's disapproval while VERY SLOWLY chipping away at his approval.

I would say that even though right now his floor is around 35%, in 6 months time his floor will be 30%.

But the best way to chip away at his base is to destroy Fox. WaPo and NYT need to start digging up more and more scoops on Fox News faces.

When was the poll taken? Surely everything that happened this week would drop him more than a point.
It's seems like nothing in the grand scheme of things when you consider what has happened this week and last week.

Read my post above. Death by a thousand cuts isn't about giant shifts. It's about solidifying the narrative the way that negative narrative had been solidified around Hillary from 2012 through 2016.

He had already lost everyone except for the hardcore Republican faithful, the fact that he's losing any more at all is terrible news for him.

And the better way to chip at the GOP faithful is to destroy the reputation of the sources they bubble themselves with until they implode from a lack of advertisers.

Then they will have literally no choice but to start watching and reading more reputable sources.

"Why is the president bowing to the saudis?!"
-Fox News,
any day preceding Jan 20th 2017

They actually did run a story about how Trump didn't bow upon the initial meeting, and juxtaposed that to Obama's bowing during his "apology tour". It blows my mind that such meaningless gestures are life and death to them.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
They actually did run a story about how Trump didn't bow upon the initial meeting, and juxtaposed that to Obama's bowing during his "apology tour". It blows my mind that such meaningless gestures are life and death to them.

Like, I don't say that Republicans, on the whole, are stupider than other people these days, but it is clear that they have vastly vastly different priorities about what is important

Read my post above. Death by a thousand cuts isn't about giant shifts. It's about solidifying the narrative the way that negative narrative had been solidified around Hillary from 2012 through 2016.

And the better way to chip at the GOP faithful is to destroy the reputation of the sources they bubble themselves with until they implode from a lack of advertisers.

Then they will have literally no choice but to start watching and reading more reputable sources.

That story about Trump supporters last week is the end goal for us. We'll never get their votes, but we want as many of them as possible to just start tuning out all news and swearing off of politics. Depress their turnout as much as possible.

Slacker

Had a conflict last night so I missed meeting Beto O'Rourke when he was in DFW. I've been watching his events on Facebook Live - dude's the real deal. Obviously it's an extreme long shot that he can beat Cruz (not that anyone likes Cruz, but he's got an R after his name), but if you're in TX-GAF I definitely recommend you check him out. I'm going to see what I can do to help for sure.

I just saw a video of Congressman Green playing recordings he's gotten from Trump supporters threatening to lynch him, hang him from a tree.

It's a video from a twitter user so I don't know how to post a link to the video. Is anyone else seeing this on notable (trustable) sites? It's on Fusion, but I don't know if I can trust that website.

I just saw a video of Congressman Green playing recordings he's gotten from Trump supporters threatening to lynch him, hang him from a tree.

It's a video from a twitter user so I don't know how to post a link to the video. Is anyone else seeing this on notable (trustable) sites? It's on Fusion, but I don't know if I can trust that website.

Here's a tweet that shows the video:

https://twitter.com/MustafaTameez/status/865959794947084288

Yeah it's pretty fucking bad and I hope that the next Democratic POTUS starts just throwing these assholes in prison.

The more I think about it, the more it feels like the US hit it's peak in progressive policies and other laws and it's all down hill from there.

No. It's more like we are seeing the last big gasp of social conservatism before rural flight causes it to fade away almost entirely.

We know this because it was basically record high rural white turnout yet Trump lost the PV and barely won overall.

No. It's more like we are seeing the last big gasp of social conservatism before rural flight causes it to fade away almost entirely.

We know this because it was basically record high rural white turnout yet Trump lost the PV and barely won overall.
But the problem is that Trump still won and putting people in roles that are pulling back those policies or trying too at least.

But the problem is that Trump still won and putting people in roles that are pulling back those policies or trying too at least.

Okay? But how does that fix the following problems for the GOP:

- Rural Flight
- Demographic Trends
- Blueward Trend of Suburban Areas
- somehow even further blue ward trend of urban areas
- Ideological Isolation of the GOP's fanbase
- increasingly secular beliefs among the population

The Adder

Banned
The issue is neither that we've reached peak progress nor that it's the last gasp of conservatism. To quote myself:

It's an ablative armor of bullshit and backlash. Their base doesn't shrink because the party clings to their "ideals" for as long as possible, only abandoning one when the idea becomes so abhorrent that they must. They cast it aside and pretend that they never held those idas in the first place. The base follows along because there is a deep, possibly inexhaustible, well of offal for the GOP to draw from. Then every decade or so the base gets sick of being dragged into the future, there's a big pushback, and half the steps forward the party took are walked back while new blood is drawn into the fold.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs

- Rural Flight
- Demographic Trends

Voter suppression efforts. Look what happened in Wisconsin, it was enough to flip the state. Get that shit passed at the right time in the states you can swing and it'll be enough to hold power.

- Rural Flight
- Demographic Trends
The GOP will try and find ways to undercut and use racism as an excuse. Voter suppression and other plans are giving the GOP this power over the people.

Voter suppression efforts. Look what happened in Wisconsin, it was enough to flip the state. Get that shit passed at the right time in the states you can swing and it'll be enough to hold power.
The GOP will try and find ways to undercut and use racism as an excuse. Voter suppression and other plans are giving the GOP this power over the people.

I'm not saying that voter suppression has no effect, but that by itself was not enough to elect Donald Trump.

Voter Apathy is still a bigger problem than Voter Suppression, especially in non-presidential elections, and that issue will go away because as our generation gets older it will vote more (just like every generation).

I would have said this until the Assad gassing shit. Now, idk how she comes back from that, and unlike Trump, I doubt she is surrounded by only yes men who will ignore how bad that will make her look.

I think a lot more Dems support her Assad position than you think.

I've met more than my fair share who think that "we don't know what's going on in Syria."

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom