• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2017 |OT3| 13 Treasons Why

Status
Not open for further replies.

NeoXChaos

Yes, rule out OK. The state Democratic Party has virtually no power and seemingly no ability to get its shit together. We also have a high concentration of racist, homophobic, Bible-thumping neanderthals who would sooner eat their own testicles than vote Democratic.

And before you mention Brad Henry, the 2010 Tea Party wave caused this state to lose its collective mind. Democrats have virtually become the enemies, assailants of family values. Any semblance of moderation or bipartisanship has disappeared.

Brad Henry was reelected only about 10 years ago and it was the bolded then and when it was a Democratic stronghold in the beginning.

kirblar

Brad Henry was reelected only about 10 years ago and it was the bolded then and when it was a Democratic stronghold in the beginning.
Things have changed a lot in the past 10 years.

Rural areas are about to literally start dying off as they lose more people to death than there are babies being born there.

Yes, rule out OK. The state Democratic Party has virtually no power and seemingly no ability to get its shit together. We also have a high concentration of racist, homophobic, Bible-thumping neanderthals who would sooner eat their own testicles than vote Democratic.

And before you mention Brad Henry, the 2010 Tea Party wave caused this state to lose its collective mind. Democrats have virtually become the enemies, assailants of family values. Any semblance of moderation or bipartisanship has disappeared.

Always be ready in case of scandal. I don't think it's something to count on, but you need to be ready if you get JBE lucky and get an opponent who skipped out on a veteran bill to call his prostitute who dresses him up like a baby.
the chancellor of the University of MS is Vitter's brother and I imagine Thanksgiving is awkward as fuck after that race.

*Dixiecrat stronghold

Let me speak more bluntly. The neanderthals I mentioned hate black people. They blame the Democratic Party for inflicting the evil black president upon them. Ergo, they will never vote Democratic again. Fallin and the blood-red legislature have decimated the tax base and revenue, forced schools to close or implement four-day weeks, and blatantly sold the state to big oil and gas. She won reelection handily in 2014, and another Republican will win next year. Hatred, justified with and fueled by religion, drives politics and society to an extreme degree.

Come visit!

Though I hate to be pessimistic, I assume Wisconsin will be difficult at the gubernatorial level. They elected, shielded from a recall, and then reelected a union-busting Republican - you know, someone antithetical to the state's progressive history and foundation of organized labor. It seems to have changed far more drastically than Michigan and Pennsylvania.

One thing to keep in mind about Walker is that he's faced easy circumstances every time he's run. 2010 was a red wave and outgoing Democratic governor Jim Doyle was unpopular. The recall was a strategic mistake, as many people voted for him because they disapproved of the idea of recalling a governor over a political issue. Republicans had the wind at their backs in 2014 and the best Wisconsin Dems could put up against him was a Madison school board member.

His approvals aren't terrible right now but they're still underwater (the most recent poll I could find had him at 45/48). Taking him down probably won't be easy, but it would certainly be doable with a good candidate, especially since 2018 is showing early signs that it could be a blue wave.

NeoXChaos

*Dixiecrat stronghold

Let me speak more bluntly. The neanderthals I mentioned hate black people. They blame the Democratic Party for inflicting the evil black president upon them. Ergo, they will never vote Democratic again. Fallin and the blood-red legislature have decimated the tax base and revenue, forced schools to close or implement four-day weeks, and blatantly sold the state to big oil and gas. She won reelection handily in 2014, and another Republican will win next year. Hatred, justified with and fueled by religion, drives politics and society to an extreme degree.

Come visit!

Democrats have no power in almost all of the South and not just OK. I kinda don't want it to stay that way for x amount of decades and possibly a century. There is a substantial Democratic Party constituency down here.

Sadly I don't see how that can change considering the area has been culturally conservative for all of its existence. That's why it's the "conservative South"

If we're talking gubernatorial gains, Dems need to pick up the following:
NV, NM, CO, FL, IA, WI, MI, IL, NJ, NH, ME, KS and some of OH, GA, MD and MA.
Flipping New Jersey, New Mexico, Nevada, Illinois, Maryland, Massachusetts and Vermont would give us total D control in those states. Those should all be priorities.

In Colorado we need to hold the governor's seat and flip the Senate which would take exactly one seat.

Likewise, we could flip the Maine Senate just by winning one seat and we'd also need the governor's mansion, though if Collins jumps in then good luck.

New Hampshire is fully R-controlled but the House is so large it's easily subject to big swings. The Senate would just need three seats to go D and Sununu is up for re-election.

Basically I think our biggest goal in 2018 re:state government races should be to gain as many D trifectas as possible because we currently only have six (California, Connecticut, Delaware, Hawaii, Oregon, Rhode Island). We can win one in Washington by flipping a Senate seat this November in a special election. If we won that and then won all the states I just mentioned, we'd have full control in 17 of the 20 Clinton states.

The only exceptions would be Minnesota (we can win the House next year, but the Senate which is one seat away from flipping isn't up until 2020), Virginia (likewise, including a one-seat margin in the Senate, but that would be in 2019), and New York (fuck the IDC). Still we should try to make as many gains in those states as possible. Say winning the VA House and MN House while giving Democrats at least nominal control over the NY Senate, and maybe primarying a few IDC assholes out of power.

Trump states:

Governor's races in the other states you mentioned will be important (FL, GA, IA, KS, MI, OH, WI) because with the exception of Iowa all of them have been brutally gerrymandered. I could conceive of flipping individual chambers in a really good year, like the Michigan House or the Wisconsin Senate along with their gubernatorial contests. If Trump backlash is big in Iowa we could paint the state blue overnight since it does have fair maps, though I'm skeptical given its hard lurch right.

Like whyamihere mentioned, Arizona is a potential pickup opportunity as well, and Democrats could flip the Senate with just three seats (or tie it with two).

Wild card here is North Carolina which will have new legislative maps. They may have elections this year depending on how the courts rule, but even if they don't that still creates an opportunity for another D trifecta. The other red states with Dem governors (Montana, West Virginia, Alaska with its independent) probably aren't electing D legislatures anytime soon.

Ok I just vomited a lot of information but I just think the GOP's seemingly iron fist on a lot of these state governments is actually rather tenuous, and 2018 (2017 in some cases) could be fucking huge for us.

I mean, re: Arizona, PPP had Garcia (D) up on Ducey (R) 44-42 2 days ago. That should not be a close race for Ducey.
Arizona could very well replace Wisconsin in the electoral math. Obama didn't bother, but it was a 3-point race with Clinton and Trump as it was with Flake and Carmona in 2012.

Democrats have no power in almost all of the South and not just OK. I kinda don't want it to stay that way for x amount of decades and possibly a century. There is a substantial Democratic Party constituency down here.

Sadly I don't see how that can change considering the area has been culturally conservative for all of its existence. That's why it's the "conservative South"

Oklahoma wants to be southern so badly, but it ain't. Don't let it fool you.

Democrats have slightly more power in the deep south (AL, MS, GA, SC) because of those states' higher black populations. All of them, for example, have at least one Democratic representative.

Wilsongt

Oklahoma wants to be southern so badly, but it ain't. Don't let it fool you.

Democrats have slightly more power in the deep south (AL, MS, GA, SC) because of those states' higher black populations. All of them, for example, have at least one Democratic representative.

SC wouldn't if it weren't gerrymandered so that Clyburn could keep his spot

Don't forgot we voted for Newt in the primary, had a GOP governor who lied about having a mistress and then was voted into the house as a FC members, and also spawned Meals-on-wheels-is-worthless Mulvaneyz

Suikoguy

I whinny my fervor lowly, for his length is not as great as those of the Hylian war stallions
What did he say?

"Republican S*** Wants People to Work for Slave Wages, when a Livable Wage is the Only Way to Go! Vote Blue, It's Right for You!"

via

Oh, and a Clinton hater too.
Looking for examples, only a couple of mentions from various articles.

He was anti-Hillary Clinton, according to his Facebook posts.

”Bernie is a Progressive, while Hillary is Republican Lite," he wrote.

In another post he wrote, ”#ScreamAsOne #NeverVotingHill," and ”You've been warned DNC. I will NEVER vote Hillary. A nomination for Hillary equals a win for Trump. #NOTWithHer."

He wrote, ”Bernie is the Only Candidate in Decades that Really Cares about the Working Class. ... Bernie is a Candidate of a Lifetime. We Need Bernie in the White House. Bernie is the Only Candidate Talking about the Issues."

via

This motherfucker.
Trump to Tangier Island mayor: Don't worry about rising seas
The mayor of the tiny Chesapeake Bay island community of Tangier says President Donald Trump called him after seeing a news report about the threat the village faces from sea-level rise and its strong support for him in November.
The island is also sinking from erosion and rising sea levels, and scientists predict residents may have to abandon it within 25 to 50 years.

@ForecasterEnten
I say Ossoff is up 3 points in average, but average error in special House elections is 4.5 points. What's your interpretation of that data?

@NateSilver538
It means there's a 70% chance Ossoff wins and a 30% chance that MATH IS DEAD AND DATA IS BROKEN.

This is an important, but also speaks to the polling in GA-6. 70% is higher than how I'd think about it!

CygnusXS

will gain confidence one day
via

Oh, and a Clinton hater too.
Looking for examples, only a couple of mentions from various articles.

via

I obviously don't believe that the violence is justified in any way here, but it's not surprising to me that people would have extreme reactions to feeling like they are being made to suffer artificial precarity. These kinds of outcomes are actually pretty predictable and expected. It's unfortunate that this man had access to weapons that allowed him to channel those feelings in such a destructive way.

That being said, I also don't know what the shooter's actual life was like, aside from the battery charge he had against him for the domestic assault.

Arizona could very well replace Wisconsin in the electoral math. Obama didn't bother, but it was a 3-point race with Clinton and Trump as it was with Flake and Carmona in 2012.
Assuming we held every Clinton state, it could also replace MI if we won WI+PA, though MI+PA+AZ leaves a bit of wiggle room which would let us lose CO or NV while WI+PA+AZ only leaves ME as something that could be lost from 2016.

Though I hate to be pessimistic, I assume Wisconsin will be difficult at the gubernatorial level. They elected, shielded from a recall, and then reelected a union-busting Republican - you know, someone antithetical to the state's progressive history and foundation of organized labor. It seems to have changed far more drastically than Michigan and Pennsylvania.

Which is why it might be ripe for a Democrat, but I won't hold my breath. Let's hope Perez and Ellison realize how important the race is.

benjipwns

Banned
Not too shocked.
The Libertarian philosophy of let other countries do what they want even applies to this?
Really embarrassing that Rand Paul is now seemingly the biggest Trump stan in the senate
It would have been crazy for any member, or members, of the senate intel committee to vote no, but I kinda of expected at least one would.
So why would Rand Paul be against it then?
He probably thinks it should be left up to the voters whether we want Russia to control our government. Libertarianism at its finest.
Paul came out against the Iranian sanctions months ago and said he wanted them extensively reworked or he was a hard no on reimposing them. He was also one of the seven Senators to vote against it proceeding to debate last week:
Bernie Sanders, Dianne Feinstein, Kirsten Gillibrand, Dick Durbin, Tom Carper, Rand Paul, Jeff Merkley, and Tom Udall
Paul and Chris Murphy also tried to attach an amendment that would limit military aid to Saudi Arabia as long as sanctions against Iran were in place.

US Senator Rand Paul has warned the administration of Donald Trump against imposing new economic sanctions on Iran, saying “new sanctions are a fool’s errand, and they will not work.”

Senator Paul urged the US government not to impose sanctions on Iran on the pretext of ballistic missile program, which Iran says is defensive.

He wrote that it is not fair to punish Iran when the Islamic Republic’s all hostile neighbors like Saudi Arabia, the UAE and Israel have advanced missile programs.

“As we look at the ballistic missile section, we recall that Saudi Arabia also has ballistic missiles, the Dong Feng-3s and -21s. Where are they pointed? Tel Aviv and Tehran,” he wrote.

“Our CIA inspected the DF-21s and said they are not currently nuclear capable. But are they convertible? Are they nuclear capable? Yeah, they are nuclear capable, and they are pointed at Israel and Iran,” he added.

Senator Paul called on the United States to curb Saudi Arabia’s ballistic missile program and Israel’s nuclear weapons program in order control arms proliferation in the Middle East region, otherwise “these sanctions [against Iran] will have [no] effect.”

“So, if you wanted to influence the behavior of Iran, you might consider sanctioning Saudi Arabia in equal fashion,” he said.

“Another way of doing it would be to withhold the $350 billion worth of new weapons and missiles to Saudi Arabia until both sides come together to discuss an arms control treaty. Perhaps you could say we are going to withhold that offer until Saudi Arabia agrees to negotiate with Iran,” he argued.

Things have changed a lot in the past 10 years.

Rural areas are about to literally start dying off as they lose more people to death than there are babies being born there.

Uh, okay with me, especially when a great portion of them would rather deny reality and science and decency in the name of their team's power. Bye Felicia!

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
Trump is being investigated for obstruction of justice by Mueller

Associates are also being investigated for possible financial crimes.

Fire him now.

Was this leaked to push him to fire Mueller or justify Comey? I guess I don't get why this is out there.
Trump had received private assurances from former FBI Director James B. Comey starting in January that he was not personally under investigation. Officials say that changed shortly after Comey's firing.

LOL

The US becoming more metropolitan and less rural is absolutely a good thing for the country.
You may feel that way, but advocating for poor rural people to die to get your way is atrocious. You assume them evil cretins not worthy of your enlightened society and you wonder why they rebel against you. Grow up.

kirblar

You may feel that way, but advocating for poor rural people to die to get your way is atrocious. You assume them evil cretins not worthy of your enlightened society and you wonder why they rebel against you. Grow up.
"Rural Areas dying off" is not literally advocating for the residents to die! They're dying because they are full of old people who are dying and not being replaced, not because we're going in with death squads.

Flipping New Jersey, New Mexico, Nevada, Illinois, Maryland, Massachusetts and Vermont would give us total D control in those states. Those should all be priorities.

Illinois is a big opportunity. Rauner is unpopular and hasn't really distanced himself from Trump. He's kind of in a similar bind as the one we saw Virginia Republicans in last night. Trump is unpopular here, but as the suburban residents who formerly made up the state's moderate Republican base increasingly vote Democratic, the state is left with a Republican base that's very pro-Trump. As in much of the Midwest, Trump made big gains in small towns where Democrats formerly did well, particularly in Western and Southern Illinois. However, those gains were completely canceled out by losses in the Chicago area.

Democrats certainly see the opportunity here, as the field is already pretty crowded and still growing. Still, statewide politics in Illinois can be a little weird due to their highly transactional nature. It's pretty clear that Rauner is going to tie whichever candidate he ends up facing to unpopular House speaker Mike Madigan. Will that strategy succeed? I don't know.

The US becoming more metropolitan and less rural is absolutely a good thing for the country.

That doesn't mean we shouldn't help people in the transition, but the net result in terms of social values will be very good for us.

Yeah. We should try our best to ease the transition, but Rural America is doing its damndest to kill the country, and I'm not gonna weep tears of any kind save joy when it's gone.

This is an absolutely disgusting thing to say.

Sorry, but how do you help those who don't want to be helped? Why waste energy on those who would rather vote for hateful and hurtful bills just to see your ("the enemy") tears and watch you cry for their enjoyment? Why help those who hate you because you have a higher education, are not christian, are not white, or want the best for the planet? Why help them when they'd do anything to take away healthcare from others while benefitting from it themselves, then still wanting to vote it away? Not worth my time. I'm out of sympathy for those types.

benjipwns

Banned
uh...how do you guys define "rural" because it makes me think of like Far Cry 5 but I've seen other threads where people are describing Western Long Island.

benjipwns

Banned
Or Albany, but if there's one thing I think the entire world can agree on it's that Rockefeller's god awful personal "look i'm a south american dictator" project needs to wiped off the face of the Earth no matter how much collateral damage occurs.

Ogodei

I don't think he's advocating for them to die, the while spikes in early deaths in rural areas are a problem, the main population drag is people simply leaving for cities and suburbs; that's not genocide, it's a migration.

It's two separate tracks to talk about compassion for rural America to stop the plague of drug abuse and suicides and say that it's a good thing that they're slowly (voluntarily!) depopulating.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom