• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2017 |OT5| The Man In the High Chair

Status
Not open for further replies.
J6q5l_s-200x150.gif

Hopfrog

This is almost too good to be true. Trump WH at war with the GOP means infighting within the right-wing media establishment, GOP getting nothing done in Congress, and likely Trump-backed primary challenges for Republicans to worry about in 2018.

I honestly thought Fox would try to utilize their influence on Trump to keep him from attacking Republicans and keep pressure on Democrats.

If Trump is gone in 2020 and all they have left are the republicans that they've been shitting on...thats an ideal situation for Fox.

God, this would be so amazing. An all out war on the GOP by the GOP president. Now, the main effect would be a shitton of batshit insane Trumper candidates running in elections. But I'd hope the general election is split as much as possible if both a standard GOP person runs as a R or I plus the Trumper.

Would in most cases guarantee a Dem win.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage

Hopfrog

This is big if it happens. The ONLY thing really preventing a move towards impeachment was the belief that Trump would rubber-stamp the GOP agenda. If he goes to war against them, well....not saying that impeachment would be on the table immediately, but it would become a lot more likely in my opinion.

Gruco

Banned
I wonder if Trump attacking Sessions, firing Reince, and failing to provide and legislative leadership whatsoever will have any consequences with regards to the GOP's willingness to cover and spin for him re: Russia.

Hubbl3

Unconfirmed Member
Even if Reince doesn't tell his staff, what are the odds Trump keeps his mouth shut this long?

If he resigned sometime after the healthcare vote and sometime later he talked with Trump about the resignation; I can see that happening . It wasn't that long when that happened. I'm not saying Reince isn't lying, though.

kcp12304

Banned
I would put my money on the retired Marine Corps general over the smarmy hedge-fund guy in most cases, but this is one strange White House.

Hey General, how would you like a

giphy.gif

https://twitter.com/Cernovich/status/891039781370511360

Pro piece of shit Mike Cernovich may be in trouble. I love it.

Sessions got us into independent counsel mess. Personal friends of mine being subpoenaed. Word is I'm gonna get one. Major screw up.

THEY GOT THE LEAKERS

Ogodei

Regarding that article:

I'm going to use acronyms for Social/Economic/Liberal/Conservative.

Trump ran as a SC/EL (though, is governing as a SC/EC), basically making his re-election very difficult.
He took racism and combined it with liberal economic policies and a good chunk of voters no longer had to choose between them. Why they believed him is still unknown, I suspect it was willful ignorance since he was saying all of those things they wanted to hear about immigrants, the police, etc. His policies were vague enough that both the SC/EC and SC/EL voters could read into it what they wanted.

Those voters, when tasked with choosing between a SC/EL canidate and a SL/EL canidate will choose the later.
Going after these voters is therefor a fools errand, and it's why you see so many on the far left advocating for a reduction or elimination of "Identity Politics" since it's the only way to appeal to those voters in such a hypothetical.

The biggest issue facing Democrats (other than 2018) will probably not be 2020, but 2024. The GOP is fucked whether Trump makes it to 2020 or not. So the question should be how to deal with another canidate like Trump, or a canidate that is actually SC/EL will be a challenge. At such a point, it becomes a question whether those who are SC/EC will still get out and vote for a SC/EL or if they can swindle a group of voters again so soon like Trump did.

Anyways, that's my current take on presidential elections moving forward.

The problem is that there's no basis for SCEL within the GOP. There's no political machine promoting Populism in this country. The closest would actually be the few remaining Blue Dog Democrats like Jon Bel Edwards (who passed the Blue Lives Matter law that made resisting arrest into a Hate Crime), but the Democrats of course would stamp out the racism when it rises above the state level.

A proper SCEL would have to be someone like Trump, but with backing from some *real* billionaires, capable of sponsoring a bunch of Trumpkins to run for congress as Republicans, so that the Trumpesque president would have a base in Congress to work with.

The reason Trump ran as a proper Right-Populist but ended up as "Bush but dumber and more racist" is because the latter is what the right-wing institutions can support.

Ogodei

Who does he have left with any ties to the Republican establishment? It's going to be rich assholes with no government experience.

Price, Chao, Mulvaney, Zinke, Pompeo. I think the Secretary of Labor, whose name eludes me atm, is also establishment connected.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom