• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2017 |OT5| The Man In the High Chair

Status
Not open for further replies.

Slizeezyc

There is literally a critical tweet on Obama for everything Dumpster does.

Omg

Maybe Trump is some maniac savant after all and everything he is doing is to destroy the GOP and allow the Democrats to reign free..

if only.

In a bizarro universe.

You trying to get play for a Revolver Ocelot Trump theory?

Random Human

They were trying to grab your prize. They work for the mercenary. The masked man.
Why would Mueller care enough about this Cernovich person to subpoena him? Wasn't he the one who made up the Pizzagate shit?

Maybe they found out Pizzagate was part of Russia's effort to undermine Clinton.

watershed

Banned
Even though there is a strong potential for pure entertainment value, I'm really not looking forward to Oliver Stone's inevitable Trump movie.

Suikoguy

I whinny my fervor lowly, for his length is not as great as those of the Hylian war stallions
The problem is that there's no basis for SCEL within the GOP. There's no political machine promoting Populism in this country. The closest would actually be the few remaining Blue Dog Democrats like Jon Bel Edwards (who passed the Blue Lives Matter law that made resisting arrest into a Hate Crime), but the Democrats of course would stamp out the racism when it rises above the state level.

A proper SCEL would have to be someone like Trump, but with backing from some *real* billionaires, capable of sponsoring a bunch of Trumpkins to run for congress as Republicans, so that the Trumpesque president would have a base in Congress to work with.

The reason Trump ran as a proper Right-Populist but ended up as "Bush but dumber and more racist" is because the latter is what the right-wing institutions can support.

Yeah, SC/EL does not exist in the current GOP. I think the argument is pretty strong that's what a sizable portion of the electorate thought they were getting when they voted Trump. The situation is so confusing since there is such a high degree of incompetency in the WH. It's difficult to discern what is intentional and even more difficult to tell what Trump actually stands for. Was he ever actually for populist liberal policies? He has shown 0 movement towards that since inauguration, so I doubt it.

As to the crutch of what explains Obama to Trump voters, I think the 2 axis spectrum talked about in the article does best explain what is going on.
Especially when the options were:
Obama/McCain - McCain went out of his way to put Racists in their place at his rallies.
Obama/Romney - Romney was Romney.
Clinton/Trump - Trump with Unabashed Racism + Sky High Promises that the GOP would never vote for.

It's really tough to chart a course other than trying to keep the Dems together as best as possible, especially with the events of today foreshadowing a full-blown war in the GOP.

Yeah, SC/EL does not exist in the current GOP. I think the argument is pretty strong that's what a sizable portion of the electorate thought they were getting when they voted Trump. The situation is so confusing since there is such a high degree of incompetency in the WH. It's difficult to discern what is intentional and even more difficult to tell what Trump actually stands for. Was he ever actually for populist liberal policies? He has shown 0 movement towards that since inauguration, so I doubt it.

As to the crutch of what explains Obama to Trump voters, I think the 2 axis spectrum talked about in the article does best explain what is going on.
Especially when the options were:
Obama/McCain - McCain went out of his way to put Racists in their place at his rallies.
Obama/Romney - Romney was Romney.
Clinton/Trump - Trump with Unabashed Racism + Sky High Promises that the GOP would never vote for.

It's really tough to chart a course other than trying to keep the Dems together as best as possible, especially with the events of today foreshadowing a full-blown war in the GOP.

I think we'll mostly just see the SCEL group stop voting. Look at white Florida's turnout; that's not sustainable at all, especially with how much Trump sucks.

Personally I'm going with the theory that a renegade time traveler somewhere out there keeps going back in time, stealing Trump's phone and criticizing Obama for stuff that Trump does.

That's why Trump sleeps so little, he's never found out who kept making all those tweets from his phone over the last 8 years, all he knows is that the people loved it.

Barzul

If Trump really truly does go independent policy wise. He'll need to court Democrats, that's going to be interesting. But it will cost him the Freedom Caucus for sure, those guys are ideologically rabid.

Also say what you want about the WH, but John Kelly has been good at distilling the crazy policies from the WH into workable action. Look at the Muslim ban for example, Miller and co crafted crazy EO policy and then Kelly still managed to blunt by pushing for Green Card holders to be exempt etc.

He's in charge of one of the most important Secretary positions and managed to remain relatively unscathed. (Trump Admin Standards)

Basically I'm not writing this off and expect a complete clusterfuck. Russia investigation will be the real wild card.
That is what will make Trump truly unhinged. If it escalates, alienated GOP might push for impeachment.

Slizeezyc

I think we'll mostly just see the SCEL group stop voting. Look at white Florida's turnout; that's not sustainable at all, especially with how much Trump sucks.

In that two-thirds the white vote voted for him, including a larger than expected group of white college-educated whites?

The special election in Washington that could give Democrats control over straight government is getting ugly.

http://www.seattletimes.com/seattle...source=twitter&utm_campaign=owned_buffer_tw_m

New political ads in a high-stakes Eastside state Senate race claim Democratic candidate Manka Dhingra mismanaged a nonprofit organization and suggest the veteran prosecutor isn’t earning her salary.

But on Wednesday, the GOP-associated political-action committee (PAC) Working Families pulled the cable-TV ad about Dhingra’s nonprofit management, according to a Comcast email provided by the Washington Senate Democratic Campaign.

And a second ad, also paid for by Working Families, has drawn complaints for questioning Dhingra’s work ethic as an employee of the King County Prosecuting Attorney’s Office.

The advertising blitz is being fueled by a flood of campaign cash pouring into the 45th Legislative District, which includes Duvall, Woodinville and parts of Redmond and Kirkland.

The contest is expected to be the most expensive state legislative race in Washington history, and determine which party controls the state Senate.

As of Friday, candidates and outside political groups had raised or spent about $3 million on the race, according to state records.

Dhingra faces Republican Jinyoung Lee Englund and independent candidate Parker Harris in the Aug. 1 primary. Dhingra and Englund are expected to advance to the November general election.

Working Families pulled the anti-Dhingra cable TV spot on Wednesday following a complaint about the ad’s accuracy. An attorney representing the Washington State Democratic Party contacted Comcast with the complaint, said Adam Bartz, executive director of the Senate Democratic campaign.

“We received your letter and contacted Working Families,” a Comcast representative wrote in an email to the attorney. “They have pulled the spot.”

Jeff Davis, who is listed in state records as the treasurer and contact person for Working Families, did not respond to calls or emails seeking comment.

Working Families is funded by The Leadership Council, a Republican-affiliated PAC.

The TV ad appears to question Dhingra’s role as a board member at NAMI Eastside, a nonprofit organization that advocates on behalf of people who are mentally ill.

The ad alleges that Dhingra failed to file state tax documents. A website displaying the two ads claims, “Manka led a nonprofit that failed to file state tax documents for three years.”

NAMI Eastside registered as a nonprofit with the Secretary of State’s Office in 2001 and didn’t register with the state Department of Revenue until 2005, according to state records.

But Dhingra didn’t join the organization’s board until 2009, according to Bartz. In a letter to its members, NAMI Eastside said the claim by Working Families — which also questioned the nonprofit’s fiscal stability — was “unfounded.”

The TV ad also claims — accurately — that Dhingra didn’t vote in almost half of recent elections. In the past eight most recent elections, Dhingra missed voting in three primaries, Bartz said.

The second Working Families ad claims that, “As prosecutor, she’s paid by taxpayers but timesheets reveal Dhingra only put in 16 hours a week.”

After three years working full time at the King County Prosecuting Attorney’s Office, Dhingra in 2003 moved to a part-time role. But she took a corresponding pay cut, according to a letter released by the Prosecutor’s Office.

Her boss, Mark Larson, chief deputy of the criminal division, said Dhingra — a salaried employee — routinely works more hours than she is paid for.

“If she ever worked 16 hours in a week, I’d eat my hat,” said Larson, who described Dhingra as a “fantastically effective” employee.

The part-time schedule, Larson added, allowed Dhingra flexibility to have more time with her family. She has been on leave since June.

That ad also claims that Dhingra was paid by taxpayers for the time she spent traveling to Washington, D.C., for a campaign fundraiser. Dhingra used vacation time for that trip, Bartz wrote in an email.

An attorney for the state Democrats has also sent Comcast a letter asking for that ad to be pulled down, according to Bartz.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
He barely "sat" on it. Also, this did leak. Mooch basically announced it and Cernovich of all people was clearly tipped off. Hell, even Stinkles on this very board seemed to have had some info that this would happen today.

Apparently this was only HALF of it. I won't know if the other half was intended to drop today or not until Monday. But if the other shoe doesn't drop today it will on Monday. Apparently.

And I'm not dropping any more tick ticks because the whole thing makes me irrationally nervous.

Also "knowing" something crazy is dropping on Friday afternoon has the same success rate as assuming in the current climate...

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
Apparently this was only HALF of it. I won't know if the other half was intended to drop today or not until Monday. But if the other shoe doesn't drop today it will on Monday. Apparently.

And I'm not dropping any more tick ticks because the whole thing makes me irrationally nervous.

Also "knowing" something crazy is dropping on Friday afternoon has the same success rate as assuming in the current climate...

1 guy being fired = Half means 2 guys being fired = ALL

It's Sessions, isn't it?

The special election in Washington that could give Democrats control over straight government is getting ugly.

This is my backyard now I don't see how a non-incumbent Republican ever wins this seat in the current political environment. MAYBE if the GOP could make the story about Seattle's income tax heading to the Eastside, but everyone knows that won't ever happen.

edit: or fearmongering about the homeless might work

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
Daniel W. Drezner‏Verified account @dandrezner

I know it's a crazy thought, but what if Trump tries to put Sessions at DHS as a way of getting a new Attorney General to fire Mueller?

Is this possible?

I honestly have no idea. Or if half means a two part thing or two unrelated but equally huge things.

I know--I was just joking.

1 guy being fired = Half means 2 guys being fired = ALL

It's Sessions, isn't it?

ABC nightly news floated the idea of Sessions being head of Homeland Security.

Getting rid of Russian assets doesnt make sense. Putting them in positions where they can hijack the security of the country makes perfect sense.

Sessions would have to agree, which he'd never do. He's waited his entire life for his post. Also, even if he did I'd assume he'd need to be re-confirmed for the new post. If it's clearly for the purposes of messing with Mueller I don't know if Sessions would get the same warm welcome he did the first round.

Although he'd totally never ever agree to that in the first place.

kirblar

Sasse and Graham were explicitly warning about firing Sessions prior to the recess.

We've got stories about the GOP actively doing pro forma sessions themselves to prevent a recess without even needing the Dems to prompt them to do it.

He's going to try it.

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
Priebus on CNN now. Claiming this is a smart move by Trump and there's no ill will among anyone.

Hah.

Priebus on CNN now. Claiming this is a smart move by Trump and there's no ill will among anyone.

Hah.

Jesus, have some fucking self respect.

There isn't one think tank in DC you gonna go to now for a cush gig that cares if you clean Trump's balls after he demanded your resignation for no good reason.

Sciz

Sasse and Graham were explicitly warning about firing Sessions prior to the recess.

We've got stories about the GOP actively doing pro forma sessions themselves to prevent a recess without even needing the Dems to prompt them to do it.

He's going to try it.

Trump finally brings the nation together by inspiring the first bipartisan pro forma session in congressional history.

FUCKING LOL

w7kZKDQ.png

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
He's praising Steve Bannon now, too. And he can't stop saying he's still on Team Trump and believes in the Trump agenda. Such a sad man.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom