• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2017 |OT5| The Man In the High Chair

Status
Not open for further replies.
Not that anyone but me cares, but Sabato moved Oklahoma's governor race from Safe Republican to Likely Republican. Baby steps.

Fallin's 35% approval rating - forty points too high - probably had some effect.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
I'm kind of wondering how he gets the tea party on board with additional spending.

They seem to only want military spending and absolutely nothing else.

They really need bipartisan legislation for a lot of the "Trump Agenda". I believe the Democratic party would even be willing to concede to some border wall funding if the Republicans didn't try to fund an Infrastructure bill by gutting existing programs.

So the Republicans are going to cut taxes but leave spending intact? The conservatives are ok with increasing the deficit?

Conservatives only care about the deficit when it suits them - say, when they can portray a black president as wasting white people's money. Otherwise, they couldn't give two shits, such as when Bush lowered taxes but went to war.

The Senate Dem races in most worried about are McCaskills and Donelly's the rest I'm fairly confident will be holds.

Agreed. Manchin has a lock on his state. Heitkamp has shown herself to be a shrewd politician who understands the dynamics of ND. Florida ain't THAT red, so Nelson should have a fairly easy time in an anti-Republican year. Ditto Tammy Baldwin in Wisconsin. Tester seems to be very popular in Montana (as is Bullock, who should contemplate a run for Senate).

If McCaskill loses, it won't be for lack of trying. The woman knows how to campaign and how to capitalize upon opportunities. Thankfully, the top-tier challengers seem reluctant to try next year.

Donnelly will need some luck even in a wave year.

Ogodei

Given polling, the only ones that will be punished by voters are those that are in gerrymandered tea party districts and have to placate that craziness. The others are accountable to more diverse electorates. Unfortunately, the GOP went hard hitching their wagon to the TP from 2009 on.

Trump helped prove what we already knew about the Tea Party being an astroturf movement for right-wing billionaires. The numbers that gave tea party candidates their wins were mostly in it for nativist chest-thumping and racism, few actually believed in the Tea Party's core ethos of hardcore Christianity crossed with objectivist economic policies.

teiresias

Both parties agree on the medical device tax. They could probably get to 60.

And Trump's propaganda machine could find some way to spin it as a win.

I imagine Trump not understanding what the hell actually passed and becoming enraged when he has to authorize CSRs again demanding too know "Didn't we repeal that???!!!"

Assuming that Trump's base constitutes 20% of the Republican voter base, how many districts are there where the Republican could afford to lose 20% of votes to a Trump-supported independent? Not many. In that scenario, all of the Hillary Republicans lose, which alone allows us to reclaim the House.
i want you to know i love this math.

Well, if so, that plan worked like a charm. Who says Democrats are bad strategists?
Fun fact, Blanche Lincoln's website indicated her support for a public option right up until the ACA vote in December 2009, then she suddenly was against it.

Heller was the Lincoln of this cycle, taking every side and pissing everyone off in the process. For all of Lincoln's waffling she lost by 21 points. Even Pryor did slightly better (16 point loss) in the six-year itch and four more years of Arkansas becoming even more conservative.

After the 24/7 marathon insanity of this past week, I don't know what to do with myself after a day with "only" stupid Trump tweets to laugh about. We're going to be so bored with Congress in recess and Trump on vacation for almost 3 weeks.

Bored?

Or calm and well-rested?
Calm? Hah. We'll never have that sort of luxury. Even without any immediate epic scandals or clusterfucks within government there'll always be some little thing in the background. Something, that, say, will keep this thread alive indefinitely instead of permitting us any freedom to dare close the browser tab for even a single day.

Calm? Hah. We'll never have that sort of luxury. Even without any immediate epic scandals or clusterfucks within government there'll always be some little thing in the background. Something, that, say, will keep this thread alive indefinitely instead of permitting us any freedom to dare close the browser tab for even a single day.

I mean that would be the case regardless of the administration, though, I think.

Like would you not check in on the constant Benghazi fuckery that would be going on if HRC had emerged victorious?

Y'all need
drugs
Jesus.

Maengun1

Fun fact, Blanche Lincoln's website indicated her support for a public option right up until the ACA vote in December 2009, then she suddenly was against it.

Heller was the Lincoln of this cycle, taking every side and pissing everyone off in the process. For all of Lincoln's waffling she lost by 21 points. Even Pryor did slightly better (16 point loss) in the six-year itch and four more years of Arkansas becoming even more conservative.

I probably know more about politics than 99.5% of the general public (and less than a lot of the other people in this thread), but sometimes stuff like this just hits me in a weird way. Like, 9 years ago Dems were so powerful in Arkansas that Pryor didn't even have a republican challenger...what on earth lol. Now the GOP has a 100% iron grip on the state. They were conservative dems, sure, but still...jesus.

I really hope we do see the pendulum swing back again. Most days I feel like the current GOP voters are too far gone to ever be reasoned with again...but maybe the average person really does just get bored and restless and flip against the current president for little logical reason

Barzul

Every Republican in the House and Senate is on the record for Trumpcare.

Think about that.

Not everyone in the house voted for it, a couple in more purple districts didn't so they could be protected in 2018 (lol this won't work). And Murkowski and Collins never voted for any of the bills I don't think.

Penguin

Every Republican in the House and Senate is on the record for Trumpcare.

Think about that.
Well it's not even that

It's all the meat they've given for ads.

The party on the lawn, v Trump dubbing it mean, the Senators holding a presser to say it's a bad bill that shouldn't be law

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
I love how Trump keeps pushing for a health care plan that crosses state lines. We already have that. Insurance companies refuse to do it.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
I probably know more about politics than 99.5% of the general public (and less than a lot of the other people in this thread), but sometimes stuff like this just hits me in a weird way. Like, 9 years ago Dems were so powerful in Arkansas that Pryor didn't even have a republican challenger...what on earth lol. Now the GOP has a 100% iron grip on the state. They were conservative dems, sure, but still...jesus.

I really hope we do see the pendulum swing back again. Most days I feel like the current GOP voters are too far gone to ever be reasoned with again...but maybe the average person really does just get bored and restless and flip against the current president for little logical reason
2010 broke a lot of my ideas about what we should or could expect from politics.

Hubbl3

Unconfirmed Member

Wilsongt

Donald J. Trump @realDonaldTrump
Don't give up Republican Senators, the World is watching: Repeal & Replace...and go to 51 votes (nuke option), get Cross State Lines & more.
7:37 AM · Jul 30, 2017

Thaedolus

Jesus, there's a little bit of everything in there.

Hillary Clinton name drop - ✔
Emails - ✔
Leaks - ✔
Threats - ✔
Dishing it out, but inability to take it - ✔

How do these guys with big mouths always turn out to be such giant pussies?

Not everyone in the house voted for it, a couple in more purple districts didn't so they could be protected in 2018 (lol this won't work). And Murkowski and Collins never voted for any of the bills I don't think.
I think Collins and Murkowski are the only ones who will make it out of this without the blame

I think Collins and Murkowski are the only ones who will make it out of this without the blame
They won't suffer any political consequences from this (nor should they). Hopefully. The GOP repeal/replace bills were unpopular in general, and extra unpopular in the medicaid expansion states.
I love how Trump keeps pushing for a health care plan that crosses state lines. We already have that. Insurance companies refuse to do it.
You know damn well he has no idea this is true, nor knows that he should have been pissed at the Skinny bill for not including the thing he doesn't know already exists.

Yeah I'm sure McConnel will get right on nuking the filibuster just for you for shitty healthcare that doesn't even have 50 votes because of this tweet, Don.

Don't give up Republican Senators, the World is watching: Repeal & Replace...and go to 51 votes (nuke option), get Cross State Lines & more.

The world thinks you're a cunt for not supporting universal health and McCain is gone for six weeks. Go away.

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
I do not understand why he is so sprung on the filibuster when they don't even have 51 votes.

Since day one, Trump has flipped out each time he's discovered there's a rule that says "your side are not kings". The most simplistic form of "majority rules" is all he can understand.

It is why he's obsessed with having lost the popular vote - to him it means he is only president because of a technicality, not because he WON YUGE and dominated his enemy.

Both Donnelly's potential opponents are House members who voted for/heavily supported Trumpcare, so he's got that to use as a weapon.

And his approvals are strong. Combine that with midterm dynamics and while I'm not saying his seat is safe or anything, I would regard him as the favorite in that race.

The one that always amazes me is that up until the 2010 midterms Democrats controlled the legislatures in Alabama, Arkansas, Louisiana, and Mississippi. A bunch of those chambers flipped in the midterms and after the 2012 election, every one of them had flipped. It took a long time for people who were consistently voting Republican in presidential elections to do so in state legislative races as well.

The Technomancer

Meet the Press is wild this morning

EDIT: Lewandowski's line is that Reince had to go "because he wasn't able to execute on Trump's deep legislative agenda"

EDIT 2: Oh god this lady talking about how Trump is God giving us a second chance to get the country on track is from my hometown nooooo

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
I'm pretty sure the world isn't hoping for Republicans to succeed. What a joke.

Meet the Press is wild this morning

EDIT: Lewandowski's line is that Reince had to go "because he wasn't able to execute on Trump's deep legislative agenda"

EDIT 2: Oh god this lady talking about how Trump is God giving us a second chance to get the country on track is from my hometown nooooo

Good fucking luck with Kelly being able to push Trump's legislative agenda, which who even knows what the fuck it even is at any given moment.

The Technomancer

My mom pointed out that the interview snippets were all from Kenosha because they were definitely in town to get comments about Priebus as well and we're also Ryan's district and fuck it is never not weird how much my hometown matters on a national stage for the worst reasons

Someone to told him about the nuke option, but not was in the last billl. Funny how that works.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom