• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2017 |OT5| The Man In the High Chair

Status
Not open for further replies.
The GOP's plan is turning out basically perfectly except for their inability to pass any legislation.

And under Pence they probably get a second chance.

I don't think any of this is part of some master plan. They didn't expect Trump to win, they didn't expect him to be this incompetent and corrupt, they didn't expect McConnell to fail so badly, and they certainly don't have some grand plan for Pence becoming president.

pigeon

Banned
I don't think any of this is part of some master plan.

I don't think I'd call it a master plan, but I think it's pretty clear that Pence's job in all this was to be the understudy in the event that Trump imploded, so that the GOP can try to rehabilitate its image under him.

Kind of an emergency backup.

Loxley

He's running

He's definitely planting seeds, if for no other reason right now than as a contingency plan for 2020 if Trump ain't president anymore.

Dude has more or less been pretty good at avoiding any personal controversy so far, which will certainly help him if he does run in 2020.

He's definitely planting seeds, if for no other reason right now than as a contingency plan for 2020 if Trump ain't president anymore.

Dude has more or less been pretty good at avoiding any personal controversy so far, which will certainly help him if he does run in 2020.

He lied about Flynn but with trump screwing up so badly nobody talks about it.

I don't think I'd call it a master plan, but I think it's pretty clear that Pence's job in all this was to be the understudy in the event that Trump imploded, so that the GOP can try to rehabilitate its image under him.

Kind of an emergency backup.
Perhaps, but this is probably driven by Pence himself, not some larger plan of the GOP.

Ted Kennedy primaried Carter.

And Reagan primaried Ford.

Ithil

Steven Miller IS AN AMERICAN!!!!

miller-inset-2.jpg

Mr. "the powers of the president to protect our country are very substantial and will not be questioned". He's a authoritarian and you must conform to his one ideology/tribe.
Evidently he failed to pay very much attention to the central message of Star Trek.

The cases mentioned above were the most successful primary challenges in the modern era of presidential primaries. There were cases of a sitting president seeking the nomination and failing back in the convention era.

The cases mentioned above were the most successful primary challenges in the modern era of presidential primaries. There were cases of a sitting president seeking the nomination and failing back in the convention era.

Primaries didn't exist then, it's like comparing it to an entirely different political system.

Ecotic

Rubio appears unhappy with Trump. He reneged on his pledge just so he could express displeasure against him for four years and have another shot in 2020 if Trump is still in the low 30's or worse starting in the primary season.

Valhelm

contribute something
Pence can't primary Trump without looking like a backstabber, he needs Trump to step down or not run.

Any Republican would be seen as a backstabber.

There's a real good chance somebody primaries Trump, but Republicans are so cowardly I don't know if they'll try very hard.

UberTag

Jesus, I leave the country for a week and now I'm so far behind on this nightmare drama that is our lives.
This is what happens when you align your vacation schedule with Trump's.
Apparently we get no respite from the chaos that his administration has wrought upon the world.

Rubio appears unhappy with Trump. He reneged on his pledge just so he could express displeasure against him for four years and have another shot in 2020 if Trump is still in the low 30's or worse starting in the primary season.

I doubt he has the guts for that. It's more like a Senator from Florida doesn't want to be tied to neo-nazism.

I didn't mean to be aggressive with that, if that's how it came across.

LBJ was also primaried and dropped out of the primary after winning New Hampshire (I think) by a smaller than expected margin, which would make it the most successful primary of a sitting president

Teggy

My man

Randy Bryce @IronStache
What's % of nazis in America?
@realDonaldTrump's rating is about to go from current 38% to whatever that number is.
@GOP -own him with pride
9:00 PM · Aug 13, 2017

Valhelm

contribute something
I don't know how it will affect his approval ratings, but Trump's refusal to condemn white supremacy is going to haunt him

Ithil

A point raised that should be repeated any time someone says "he condemned all of the violence", Trump is always very specific when he is condemning people. He does it by name, nor matter how petty.
Here, nothing. A non-answer.

I can't help but feel there won't be a major change in numbers

There probably won't be. Hell the press isn't even reporting on this very well. The local Sunday Paper in fricken North NJ wrote all its articles in really vague language that made it unclear on the basic facts like how there was a Nazi rally and a counter protester was murdered.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
I don't think people understand neo-Nazis are a real thing. It's like a bogeyman for most people. How could they really exist? Makes it easy to (uh) whitewash.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom