• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2017 |OT5| The Man In the High Chair

Status
Not open for further replies.
OH COME ON. Just yesterday he was saying he had plenty of people who wanted to join the council now he's like "Oh I'm shutting it down I don't need y'all".

The 87-89 white group were at the prime age for the country falling apart under Bush and it culminating with Obama being their first presidential election.

Not surprised to see them be the most liberal; speaking as someone both in 89 myself.
Yeah I was born in 90 and the 08 election was my first election that I voted in. I had just turned 18, 2 months before the general election. We had to learn about government/politics our senior year. To help us learn we followed the primaries/general election in school. Our teacher taught us about things such as dogwhistling politics and showed us how McCain and Romney used it during the campaign. Majority of my class was very excited for Obama and strongly disliked Clinton and McCain.

pigeon

Banned
If more level-headed members of the Democratic core can't quiet down aggressors like Sady Doyle and Josh Marshall, no meaningful cooperation is possible.

I'm just going to take this as a statement that you don't believe leftists should work with us to oppose white supremacy and you've come up with the most absurd and childish possible excuse to explain why.

The winning continues...

Trump CEO strategy council is disbanding.
https://www.bloomberg.com/news/arti...council-is-said-to-be-disbanding-after-exodus

keGVeR5BruNN3xqIIjLqGvVMFgA=.gif

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
Donald J. TrumpVerified account @realDonaldTrump
Rather than putting pressure on the businesspeople of the Manufacturing Council & Strategy & Policy Forum, I am ending both. Thank you all!
Jon Favreau‏Verified account @jonfavs 10m10 minutes ago

Jon Favreau Retweeted Donald J. Trump

This is a lie. They all quit first. Heard that Jared just got the call before Trump tweeted.

LOL

kirblar

aggressors like Sady Doyle and Josh Marshall,
who? and him?

No seriously. Person I've never heard of and the guy who founded TPM, one of THE liberal rallying points in the Bush yea.... oh hey there's that gap again.

Zolo

His only cover from any Mueller investigation is his current position. Otherwise I think you could goad him into quitting this way. Which is hilarious.

Yeah. I do wonder if some kind of promise or contract for his financial info not to be investigated could get him to quit.

pigeon

Banned
This is a bizarre leap.

Not really. He literally says "If you guys don't shut up Josh Marshall there can never be compromise between the left and the liberals." This is a totally absurd request -- Josh Marshal isn't even a policy-setter, he's a journalist, to the degree that TPM is journalism, and the worst thing he does is snipe at people on Twitter who @ him. Nor do we have the magical power to shut him up. If this is literally a breaking point for you such that compromise is impossible without it, it suggests pretty strongly that you were never sincere about wanting to compromise at all.

If I said that I expected the left to reject Chapo Trap House since the guy who runs it mocked a rape victim on Twitter for being fat and then lied about apologizing to her and is in general clearly opposed to social justice in practice, and if they refused to I would refuse to work with the left, I would get pilloried. But that's a much more reasonable stance to take than Valheim is taking, because that guy's actually bad!

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
Not the worst tactic Trump has tried. I say there is a good 50% chance it doesn't somehow blow up in his face, and the council fades out of the news cycle, which is pretty good odds for one of his hastily made announcement tweets.

Now we wait a few hours and see where it goes.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
I really feel like the media has let the NRA off the hook for the impact it had on this recent rise in racial tensions. Those videos they put out a couple weeks ago were designed to inflame pure hatred toward anyone not white. Total garbage, and an amazing look at how low the NRA has had to sink to encourage its base. They rode the "Bu-bu-bu the democrats will steal your GUNS!" trash for years, and now that they can't any more, they go here. It's despicable.

Not really. He literally says "If you guys don't shut up Josh Marshall there can never be compromise between the left and the liberals." This is a totally absurd request -- Josh Marshal isn't even a policy-setter, he's a journalist, to the degree that TPM is journalism, and the worst thing he does is snipe at people on Twitter who @ him. Nor do we have the magical power to shut him up. If this is literally a breaking point for you such that compromise is impossible without it, it suggests pretty strongly that you were never sincere about wanting to compromise at all.

If I said that I expected the left to reject Chapo Trap House since the guy who runs it mocked a rape victim on Twitter for being fat and then lied about apologizing to her and is in general clearly opposed to social justice in practice, and if they refused to I would refuse to work with the left, I would get pilloried. But that's a much more reasonable stance to take than Valheim is taking, because that guy's actually bad!

I was objecting to the part where you went to "you don't believe leftists should work to oppose white supremacy." That's a leap couched in incendiary rhetoric.

I really feel like the media has let the NRA off the hook for the impact it had on this recent rise in racial tensions. Those videos they put out a couple weeks ago were designed to inflame pure hatred toward anyone not white.

That occurred to me yesterday. It feels like an elephant in the room. Specifically, the recruitment video where they praised "their" president and encouraged people to take arms against those who attempt to defame him.

I really feel like the media has let the NRA off the hook for the impact it had on this recent rise in racial tensions. Those videos they put out a couple weeks ago were designed to inflame pure hatred toward anyone not white. Total garbage, and an amazing look at how low the NRA has had to sink to encourage its base. They rode the "Bu-bu-bu the democrats will steal your GUNS!" trash for years, and now that they can't any more, they go here. It's despicable.

Isnt the NRA unpopular even among gun owners? Might be low hanging fruit.

Vimes

All over the liberal twittersphere you can find verified journalists and staffers who made the same arguments about a violent alt-left that Trump does now. If more level-headed members of the Democratic core can't quiet down aggressors like Sady Doyle and Josh Marshall, no meaningful cooperation is possible.

Oh, you're exactly who I thought you are.

who? and him?

No seriously. Person I've never heard of and the guy who founded TPM, one of THE liberal rallying points in the Bush yea.... oh hey there's that gap again.

Sady Dolye was a feminist author who became the target of a gamergate-style mob of bernie bros during the primary. She's a harassment victim.

Plinko

Isnt the NRA unpopular even among gun owners? Might be low hanging fruit.

I'm fairly certain I saw a poll in the last year or two where they had over 50% popularity in the country.

Edit: Here it is:

owy2uwy4okasxwgzgp5fja.png

Ithil

Just laughing at the goon on MSNBC, they interviewed an alt-right type who liked Trump's speech and said "He is the most honest president since George Washington and the cherry tree".

Yeah. That's the intellectual level of the alt-right, the most they know about Washington is the fairy tale they heard in kindergarten meant to teach a basic moral about honesty. Like, that guy actually thought that story was true.

Toth

To the poster who was surprised Trumps remarks weren't as damaging as they thought they would be by this morning, the shock has worn off and the ship is starting to sink.

pigeon

Banned
I was objecting to the part where you went to "you don't believe leftists should work to oppose white supremacy." That's a leap couched in incendiary rhetoric.

Okay, I should have written "work with us".

edit: I remember why I wrote that -- because, yet again, I reject the narrative that gives people like Valheim more claim to being "left" than people like me. We're both part of the left. If he says there's no "compromise possible" between us, it means he doesn't want the left to work together to oppose white supremacy. So maybe "work together" would have been better.

I'm fairly certain I saw a poll in the last year or two where they had over 50% popularity in the country.

Edit: Here it is:

owy2uwy4okasxwgzgp5fja.png

I think i got thier approvals mixed up because there are polls stating that NRA members overwhelmingly approve background checks.

I didnt know they were that popular, thats a problem.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom