• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2017 |OT5| The Man In the High Chair

Status
Not open for further replies.

Crocodile

Trump got "alt-left" from Hannity et al. Whatever useage it might have gotten from those on the left have no bearing on it reaching Trump's lips. Arguing otherwise seems like a waste of time?

Emerson

May contain jokes =>
Trump got "alt-left" from Hannity et al. Whatever useage it might have gotten from those on the left have no bearing on it reaching Trump's lips. Arguing otherwise seems like a waste of time?

And it got to Hannity how? The first people I ever heard using it were liberals.

PBY

Banned

No one disputes this. But its problematic seeing the centrists latch onto right wing verbiage to attack their presumed allies, and now hey - its a fucking "thing".

I agree that the "neoliberal" tag is also overused btw (but this isn't appropriated by right wing activists).

Honestly it doesn't matter, they would give it a different name and the right would latch onto it. Or the same name. They just need a name, any name, they don't really give a shit about its provenance.

No one disputes this. But its problematic seeing the centrists latch onto right wing verbiage to attack their presumed allies, and now hey - its a fucking "thing".

One can't really take this line without also agreeing that leftists taking right wing talking points about Clinton was also a "thing."

I think both are stupid.

Crocodile

And it got to Hannity how? The first people I ever heard using it were liberals.

I first heard it on Fox News before I heard any liberal use the term. That's where Trump would have gotten the term too not from sifting through liberal twitter. Granted, it also feels like the sort of thing that would have happened anyway regards of any input from any liberal? It seems like a super easy jump to make if you want to go all in on false equivalence.

I agree that the "neoliberal" tag is also overused btw (but this isn't appropriated by right wing activists).

I'm skeptical many/any of the left will continue using "alt-left" just as a means to deprive it of as much oxygen as possible. We'll see I guess.

pigeon

Banned
Do you have a Google news alert or something that goes off, so that you know the right time to pop in and deflect?

Wait, what you are saying PBY is deflecting from?

One can't really take this line without also agreeing that leftists taking right wing talking points about Clinton was also a "thing."

I think both are stupid.

Yeah, I think that's basically accurate.

I think the only time I've said "alt-left" was to refer to "leftists" who were against social justice. I will just call those people "racist" instead from now on. It'll be way more clear.

Kusagari

I saw a bunch of alt-right people on twitter, 4chan and the like spreading the term months ago and then people like Hannity and Coulter picked up on it.

AndyD

aka andydumi
I think i got thier approvals mixed up because there are polls stating that NRA members overwhelmingly approve background checks.

I didnt know they were that popular, thats a problem.

Those two issues are very different. People likely support the organization, it's just that the organization might not support that measure.

smokeymicpot

Beat EviLore at pool.
http://abcnews.go.com/Politics/spec...-loses-top-fbi-investigator/story?id=49249486

Special counsel's Russia probe loses top FBI investigator

One of the FBI's top investigators, tapped by special counsel Robert Mueller just weeks ago to help lead the probe of Russian meddling in last year's presidential election, has left Mueller’s team, sources tell ABC News.

It's unclear why Strzok stepped away from Mueller's team of nearly two dozen lawyers, investigators and administrative staff. Strzok, who has spent much of his law enforcement career working counterintelligence cases and has been unanimously praised by government officials who spoke with ABC News, is now working for the FBI's human resources division.

kirblar

http://abcnews.go.com/Politics/spec...-loses-top-fbi-investigator/story?id=49249486

One of the FBI's top investigators, tapped by special counsel Robert Mueller just weeks ago to help lead the probe of Russian meddling in last year's presidential election, has left Mueller’s team, sources tell ABC News.

It's unclear why Strzok stepped away from Mueller's team of nearly two dozen lawyers, investigators and administrative staff. Strzok, who has spent much of his law enforcement career working counterintelligence cases and has been unanimously praised by government officials who spoke with ABC News, is now working for the FBI's human resources division.
Yeah he didn't step away.

I saw a bunch of alt-right people on twitter, 4chan and the like spreading the term months ago and then people like Hannity and Coulter picked up on it.

The right-wing usage of "Alt-left" is just an easy catch-all for other perjoratives they've used ("radical leftists", "SJWs", communists/maoists, "cultural marxists"). Alt-left is an easy and obvious way to try to equate both sides of the spectrum (on a very basic/intellectually dishonest level) and makes the criticisms seem more legitimate than ranting about SJWs or cultural marxists or whatever, which probably comes across as weird or conspiracy theorist-esque to people who aren't active involved in right-wing political discourse, especially online.

I first heard it from conservatives trying to push a both-sides thing.

It's literally the simplest form of back-formation and one would expect it to occur naturally in language from multiple independent sources.

This is Chris fucking Wray at work.

jtb

Banned
Wait, what you are saying PBY is deflecting from?

Yeah, I think that's basically accurate.

I think the only time I've said "alt-left" was to refer to "leftists" who were against social justice. I will just call those people "racist" instead from now on. It'll be way more clear.

Agreed

I sense fuckey here.

Heitkamp finally gets a challenger.

https://www.dailykos.com/stories/20...est-8-16?t=1502907662710#update-1502907662000

ND-Sen: On Wednesday, state Sen. Tom Campbell became the first major North Dakota Republican to enter the race against Democratic Sen. Heidi Heitkamp. Campbell reportedly is wealthy, and a campaign consultant suggested back in April that if he ran, Campbell could immediately drop $2 million into his fledgling Senate bid. North Dakota is a very conservative state, and Heitkamp will be a top GOP target next year. Heitkamp has not yet announced if she'll seek a second term, but her fundraising strongly indicates that she's in.

At the beginning of this cycle, Rep. Kevin Cramer, who represents the entire state in the House, was the top choice of national Republicans. Campbell himself reportedly said that while he would run for Congress, he would campaign for whichever seat Cramer wasn't running for.

However, Cramer spent the first half of 2017 making embarrassing statement after embarrassing statement, most notably criticizing female congressional Democrats for their attire, and national Republicans reportedly decided months ago that Campbell would make a better candidate. Cramer himself still has yet to announce his 2018 plans, and it's unclear if Campbell jumped in the race believing that Cramer wasn't running, or the state senator just decided he wasn't going to defer to him anymore.

PBY

Banned
Yeah. I suspect he was either fired or quit because the investigator started being probed for questions by the new director.

While not impossible, there are a million banal reasons that could lead to this. There's been zero reporting on this to lead you to this conclusion.

kess

Yeah. I suspect he was either fired or quit because the investigator started being probed for questions by the new director.

If Mueller's probe ends up neutered, Gillibrand will have played her cards correctly. I still think things blow up on Trump regardless.

Zolo

While not impossible, there are a million banal reasons that could lead to this. There's been zero reporting on this to lead you to this conclusion.

I agree. That's why I'm saying 'suspect' instead of trying to parrot it like a fact going 'Oh shit guys! The guy was a spy! They caught the leaker!'

These are my thoughts, and I'm waiting to see if any other info comes out on the subject.

Wray wouldn't have been offered the job if he didn't pledge allegiance to Trump. He will offer mega high paying jobs to people on the special counsel to take away from Mueller's effort.

Wilsongt

https://www.wsj.com/articles/trump-business-advisory-council-to-disband-1502904005

Two of President Donald Trump's councils of top business leaders are disbanding following Tuesday's controversial remarks by the president about the weekend's violence in Virginia.

Mr. Trump tweeted Wednesday that he was ending the White House council on manufacturing and the Strategic and Policy Forum.

One of the councils had planned to disband after a conference call of its executives on Wednesday morning, a person familiar with the matter said. Mr. Trump's tweet came after reports that council was disbanding.

Blackstone Group LP Chief Executive Stephen A. Schwarzman, who led the Strategic and Policy Forum, phoned the president on Wednesday to inform him the group was being disbanded, according to people familiar with the call.

After the call, which was described as cordial, the president tweeted that it was his decision to disband that council. In that tweet, he also announced he was disbanding the manufacturing council.

A White House spokesman declined to comment.

SAD! THEY'RE LAUGHING AT US

Maggie Haberman‏Verified account @maggieNYT 59m59 minutes ago
More
The nationalist/populist wing of the White House is openly cheering the end of the CEO Council

Ernest

Banned
Fucking alt-right pieces of shit are trying to change the narrative.

Don't let them!

EaglePundit �� @RealEagleBites
Replying to @RealEagleBites @realDonaldTrump

Heather Heyer was an American who did not deserve to die.
She was a victim of the incitement of hatred and violence by the liberal media

America prays for her and for you President Trump

DHXAqn5VYAEohUX.jpg

This shit is just downright evil!

Crocodile

Fucking alt-right pieces of shit are trying to change the narrative.

Don't let them!

This shit is just downright evil!

She know she was run down by a Nazi who beat his mother.

We have video of Nazi chanting Nazi slogans and carrying torches

Who is going to buy this counter-narrative who wasn't already drinking that Kool-aid?

jtb

Banned
She know she was run down by a Nazi who beat his mother.

We have video of Nazi chanting Nazi slogans and carrying torches

Who is going to buy this counter-narrative who wasn't already drinking that Kool-aid?

They just need the thinnest piece of cover to return to society as "normal" people that the media will go back to depicting as dignified, misunderstood well-meaning folks.

Never underestimate the lengths that people will go to defend the status quo and bury any hint that this country has deep societal fissures.

They just need the thinnest piece of cover to return to society as "normal" people that the media will go back to depicting as dignified, misunderstood well-meaning folks.

Never underestimate the lengths that people will go to defend the status quo and bury any hint that this country has deep societal fissures.

Nobody wants to be the news channel that defends Nazis. That's a bridge they won't cross, as we've seen over the last few days.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom