• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2017 |OT5| The Man In the High Chair

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hindl

That doesn't really stop the investigation, unless Pence pre-preemptively pardons Trump, which would be political suicide.
I could see the GOP doing some calculus and get Trump out now, take the heat of pardoning him and just accept they'll lose in 2020, and then just spent all of 2020-2024 complaining about the Dem president and how useless he is, and that'll just set everything back to how it was. If he stays in office for long, he'll do long-lasting damage to the GOP. As of now, I think most of the country would be pissed at Pence pardoning him and vote against that, but not hold the GOP at large responsible for the shit that's happened so far

barber

I could see the GOP doing some calculus and get Trump out now, take the heat of pardoning him and just accept they'll lose in 2020, and then just spent all of 2020-2024 complaining about the Dem president and how useless he is, and that'll just set everything back to how it was. If he stays in office for long, he'll do long-lasting damage to the GOP. As of now, I think most of the country would be pissed at Pence pardoning him and vote against that, but not hold the GOP at large responsible for the shit that's happened so far
You can't negotiate with Trump about him "failing". That guy cares more about how he is perceived than what happens to the country or his ideology! The only way he quits is if he sees that the whole image he built of himself being a powerfufl and successful bussinesman is going to be destroyed publicly during an impeachment process and that is still one year away imo. Even then, when he resigns he will burn everything down by saying he only failed because the democrats and republicans allied to destroy him. We have seen that in the healthcare bill (Where he blamed everyone but himself) and with the budget fix up (so that it could last some extra months).
There is no way that guy goes down calmy. We saw this week what happens when he sees his reputation tarnished, with the craziest thing out of this presidency happening!
Edit: Member, huh that was fast.

Teggy

Sinema is not your liberal darling (and I'm fine with that)

DHcGoPmXYAAHEH9

Hindl

You can't negotiate with Trump about him "failing". That guy cares more about how he is perceived than what happens to the country or his ideology! The only way he quits is if he sees that the whole image he built of himself being a powerfufl and successful bussinesman is going to be destroyed publicly during an impeachment process and that is still one year away imo. Even then, when he resigns he will burn everything down by saying he only failed because the democrats and republicans allied to destroy him. We have seen that in the healthcare bill (Where he blamed everyone but himself) and with the budget fix up (so that it could last some extra months).
There is no way that guy goes down calmy. We saw this week what happens when he sees his reputation tarnished, with the craziest thing out of this presidency happening!
Edit: Member, huh that was fast.
Oh I know. All of this is under the assumption that Trump is looking for a way out soon and doesn't want to be President anymore. I was responding to the idea of Trump resigning before shit went down with Mueller and Pence pardoning him, and the political blowback from that

barber

Oh I know. All of this is under the assumption that Trump is looking for a way out soon and doesn't want to be President anymore. I was responding to the idea of Trump resigning before shit went down with Mueller and Pence pardoning him, and the political blowback from that
Oh yeah, the best way out for them is do a Ford. You sacrifice your short tem viability (really only 4 years / 2-3 election cycles) but the image of your party highest official being put into jail by treason (or even a corrupt businessman who laundered money as a way to salvage his fortune) would destroy the image and create a rift with the "moderates" (which are ok with light racism as long as it benefits them but not with being associated with a traitor to AMERICA or someone who had to launder money for others to succeed), plus it would make it impossible to "forget" Trump as the images of him in front of a judge would make for great PR for decades.
Trump getting pardoned and getting a long holiday until he dies, without him doing any public appearance except as a public dogwisthle for his fanbase once in a while to excite them, would be the best outcome for the GOP but it is 99.999% impossible IMHO.

Ithil

Trump won't resign because that's quitting. That's marking himself as a loser, the worst thing in the world to be if you are him.

Wilsongt

Um.

Julian Assange told a U.S. congressman on Tuesday he can prove the leaked Democratic Party documents he published during last year's election did not come from Russia and promised additional helpful information about the leaks in the near future.

Rep. Dana Rohrabacher, a California Republican who is friendly to Russia and chairs an important House subcommittee on Eurasia policy, became the first American congressman to meet with Assange during a three-hour private gathering at the Ecuadorian Embassy in London, where the WikiLeaks founder has been holed up for years.

Rohrabacher recounted his conversation with Assange to The Hill.

"Our three-hour meeting covered a wide array of issues, including the WikiLeaks exposure of the [Democratic National Committee] emails during last year's presidential election," Rohrabacher said, "Julian emphatically stated that the Russians were not involved in the hacking or disclosure of those emails.

Pressed for more detail on the source of the documents, Rohrabacher said he had information to share privately with President Trump.

"Julian also indicated that he is open to further discussions regarding specific information about the DNC email incident that is currently unknown to the public," he added.

https://www.google.com/amp/thehill....man-vows-to-prove-russia-did-not-leak-him?amp

The transparency is so papery thin Nina Bo'nina Brown wears it on her head during drag.

If Trump quit or was kicked out, I sadly think that he would still be in the news everyday for his random stupid comments on other politicians.

Wilsongt

If Trump quit or was kicked out, I sadly think that he would still be in the news everyday for his random stupid comments on other politicians.

Trump will find a way to insult every Senator and House member given the chance, and they will all take the microdick whipping like bitches goes "Yes sir, may I please have another?"

Um.

Trump’s personal lawyer on Wednesday forwarded an email to conservative journalists, government officials and friends that echoed secessionist Civil War propaganda and declared that the group Black Lives Matter “has been totally infiltrated by terrorist groups.”

The email forwarded by John Dowd, who is leading the president’s legal team, painted the Confederate general Robert E. Lee in glowing terms and equated the South’s rebellion to that of the American Revolution against England. Its subject line — “The Information that Validates President Trump on Charlottesville” — was a reference to comments Mr. Trump made earlier this week in the aftermath of protests in the Virginia college town.

“You cannot be against General Lee and be for General Washington,” the email reads, “there literally is no difference between the two men.”

The contents of the email are at the heart of a roiling controversy over race and history that turned deadly last weekend in Charlottesville, where white nationalist groups clashed with protesters over the planned removal of a statue of Lee. An Ohio man with ties to white nationalist groups drove his car through a crowd, killing one woman and injuring many others, authorities say.

https://mobile.nytimes.com/2017/08/16/us/politics/trump-lawyer-email-race-charlottesville.html

Obama totally set race relationships back in the cousin by 200 years, guys. That Race Baiter in Chief.

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
I'm completely okay with taking down modern statues of Washington. I mean, he was a slave-owner.

Blader

“You cannot be against General Lee and be for General Washington,” the email reads, “there literally is no difference between the two men.”

One won their revolution and helped lay the groundwork for the United States. The other lost their revolution and failed in a goal to break apart the union.

But yes, they were both generals.

Ithil

He's right, let's not rewrite history, after all, it was all about "states rights", not slavery, right?

“We hold as undeniable truths that the governments of the various States, and of the confederacy itself, were established exclusively by the white race, for themselves and their posterity; that the African race had no agency in their establishment; that they were rightfully held and regarded as an inferior and dependent race, and in that condition only could their existence in this country be rendered beneficial or tolerable.”
TEXAS DECLARATION OF CAUSES FOR SECESSION, FEBRUARY 2, 1861

“Our position is thoroughly identified with the institution of slavery — the greatest material interest of the world.”
MISSISSIPPI DECLARATION OF CAUSES FOR SECESSION

“They assume that the negro is equal, and hence conclude that he is entitled to equal privileges and rights with the white man. If their premises were correct, their conclusions
would be logical and just but their premise being wrong, their whole argument fails.”
ALEXANDER H. STEPHENS, VICE PRESIDENT OF THE CONFEDERACY CORNERSTONE SPEECH, MARCH 21, 1861

“Our new government is founded upon … the great truth that the negro is not equal to the white man; that slavery subordination to the superior race is his natural and normal
condition.”
ALEXANDER H. STEPHENS, VICE PRESIDENT OF THE CONFEDERACY CORNERSTONE SPEECH, MARCH 21, 1861

“A geographical line has been drawn across the Union, and all the States north of that line have united in the election of a man to the high office of President of the United States, whose opinions and purposes are hostile to slavery.”
SOUTH CAROLINA DECLARATION OF CAUSES FOR SECESSION, DECEMBER 24, 1860

Right?

tuxfool

Banned
John Kelly's in a ‘Bad' Mood Over Trump, Nazis, and ‘Rogue' Bannon

White House officials and other sources who have spoken with Kelly since he took the job told The Daily Beast that he expected his stint would be mentally and emotionally taxing. He was prepared to grapple with the backbiting and the chaos that permeated the White House. And he was well aware of the president's impulsiveness -- including the serial hate-tweeting.
Still, these sources say, Kelly has found the gig vexing.

Kelly was floored, as are many of his fellow staffers, by Trump's unexpectedly shambolic detour into loudly defending Nazis and white-supremacist agitators. It really ”threw [Kelly] for a loop," one senior White House official told The Daily Beast.

lol

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
DHcKnPSXgAg1Mk-.jpg:large

According to Ted Nugent Kid Rock isn't running. Says GOP is wasting their time with him.

I agree with the fact that it all seems like a publicity stunt. GOP sees decent numbers and might want behind him, but they'd be better off going after a different candidate. Nugent is right.

That said, what in the world does he mean by "Nancy Pelosi, Barbara Boxer, You know, Antifa World?" I guess I'm not understanding the connection.

Trump will not resign. He'll fire Rosenstein/Mueller before he accepts defeat.

This is my sentiment as well. He's not a quitter.

Cheebo

Banned
Unfortunately the statue issue is not even a big winner with democrats

The story moving away from denouncing the KKK/Nazi's to the statues is unfortunate. The first has much wider support. I am kind of annoyed Democrats are allowing Trump to drag the issue to more friendly ground.

No one is deleting history, god. No one is trying to scrub the Confederacy from history books, nor would they have any motive to! It's important we learn from our mistakes. People are merely saying that maybe, just maybe, we shouldn't be celebrating it. Talk to me about monuments made back in the 1800's, maaaaaaaaaaaaybe, but well over 90% of these things were built decades or a century+ after the civil war was over. They're there to spread racism. Period.

Tall4Life

No one is deleting history, god. No one is trying to scrub the Confederacy from history books, nor would they have any motive to! It's important we learn from our mistakes. People are merely saying that maybe, just maybe, we shouldn't be celebrating it. Talk to me about monuments made back in the 1800's, maaaaaaaaaaaaybe, but well over 90% of these things were built decades or a century+ after the civil war was over. They're there to spread racism. Period.

For the express purpose of the KKK to gain support by venerating the Confederates, yeah

like it's not even an "they're implying racism" thing, they were LITERALLY MADE for that purpose

Teggy

Unfortunately this is the way the right is getting to frame it. Opponents need to do a better job. Get the image of a German Jew having to pass a statue of Hitler every day in people's minds.

One won their revolution and helped lay the groundwork for the United States. The other lost their revolution and failed in a goal to break apart the union.

But yes, they were both generals.

Better still,

"Washington fought for freedom, Lee fought for slavery."

Then let them spend all their energy defending Lee and the South.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
Who ran that poll, Teggy? That definitely seems like a right-leaning questioning.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom