• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2017 |OT5| The Man In the High Chair

Status
Not open for further replies.

Joe

Screenshot_20170821-135925.png

I tend to agree with the take that the reason we didn't see the sharp drop in approval is that Charlottesville actually helped shore up his base a bit, but at the cost of alienating persuadable voters. Basically dropping his ceiling.

studyguy

One can probably make the argument that saying you're going into Afghanistan is signaling your intentions to the terrorists. Pretty sure that's not being UNPREDICTABLE, but you know how it goes.

I tend to agree with the take that the reason we didn't see the sharp drop in approval is that Charlottesville actually helped shore up his base a bit, but at the cost of alienating persuadable voters. Basically dropping his ceiling.
It's important to remember that nothing he's done has ever translated to a permanent reversal of the long-term trend of his presidency, which has seen his approval rating go down steadily. His Charlottesville "bump" pretty much just got him back to where he was like three weeks ago, and it's already faded.

The base isn't going to stay excited forever, so now you're seeing that lack of enthusiasm combined with everyone else still being pissed.

Wilsongt

Um.

http://www.wvgazettemail.com/news-p...tment-moves-to-stop-mountaintop-removal-study

Trump administration officials have told the National Academy of Sciences to cease all work on a study of the public health risks for people living near mountaintop removal coal-mining sites in Appalachian, the academy said in a statement late this morning.

The U.S. Department of Interior’s Office of Surface Mining Reclamation and Enforcement told the academy that the move is part of an agency-wide review of grants and agreements in excess of $100,000, saying the examination is a result of the department’s “changing budget situation.”

FyreWulff

only fucking Trump would want to 'own' the Afghanistan war after all this time

also Trump actually fucking looked at the eclipsed sun without glasses

Random Human

They were trying to grab your prize. They work for the mercenary. The masked man.
Can you actually go blind from looking at an eclipse? That would... certainly be a twist in this ludicrous tale.

You know what kills me the most is how competent I thought Bannon was. He's a self made media mogul and populist, so really I should have expected him having trouble adjusting to life in DC. But I had no idea that he would have made everyone around him hate him so much.

Although... when he first joined the Trump campaign, the floodgates really opened and there were serious hitpieces on him about how nasty he was.

You know what kills me the most is how competent I thought Bannon was. He's a self made media mogul and populist, so really I should have expected him having trouble adjusting to life in DC. But I had no idea that he would have made everyone around him hate him so much.

Although... when he first joined the Trump campaign, the floodgates really opened and there were serious hitpieces on him about how nasty he was.

He was always going to be one side of a coin that was in constant battle with the other. Banon helped Trump win the election through a populous message of xenophobia, economic and military isolationism. The platform Trump won on isn't the platform the establishment approves of.

FyreWulff

Bannon's mistake was letting Trump put Generals in the administration.

Ernest

Banned
He was always going to be one side of a coin that was in constant battle with the other. Banon helped Trump win the election through a populous message of xenophobia, economic and military isolationism. The platform Trump won on isn't the platform the establishment approves of.
You're supposed to fill your administration with a well oiled machine of people who agree with you or at minimum are capable of doing their jobs. It was 100% possible for Trump (and Bannon) to have a functioning White House. But I think Bannon, like Trump, has no soft skills and poor temperament. I barely remember this but try to recall when all the politico article were rolling out about Trump trying to lock down the White House because of leaks. Surrogates were, daily, threatening to sick the FBI on leakers and throw them on jail. That's just the public face of this. Imagine that's your workplace and your bosses are all emotionally abusing you and questioning your competence. I can imagine Bannon was responsible for a lot of that.

It has nothing to do with the establishment. Reagan was a successful antiestablishment president with similar spirit to Trump's (even if most of the conclusions are different). It's possible, Trump and co. just suck.

Slayven

You're supposed to fill your administration with a well oiled machine of people who agree with you or at minimum are capable of doing their jobs. It was 100% possible for Trump (and Bannon) to have a functioning White House. But I think Bannon, like Trump, has no soft skills and poor temperament. I barely remember this but try to recall when all the politico article were rolling out about Trump trying to lock down the White House because of leaks. Surrogates were, daily, threatening to sick the FBI on leakers and throw them on jail. That's just the public face of this. Imagine that's your workplace and your bosses are all emotionally abusing you and questioning your competence. I can imagine Bannon was responsible for a lot of that.

How did they fuck up having total power?

It has nothing to do with the establishment. Reagan was a successful antiestablishment president with similar spirit to Trump's (even if most of the conclusions are different). It's possible, Trump and co. just suck.

Is that Banon's fault Trump lined his admin with people who oppose each other? Isn't that exactly what he does in his businesses?

I only bring up the establishment as the opposing force to Banon's presence in the WH admin.

Its like if you helped me win an election and I awarded you with an admin spot next to the guy who took a dump on your front lawn.

How did they fuck up having total power?
It takes a mere ten seconds of Trump footage to glean that he's intellectually and temperamentally unfit to be president, not in the sense that the job requires it (I think presidents are mostly just toothless popular figures with a lot of authority anyway, far removed from the people actually designing policy) but rather because he literally can't get anyone to do anything without what I had assumed to be bare minimum communication and socialization skills.

Is that Banon's fault Trump lined his admin with people who oppose each other? Isn't that exactly what he does in his businesses?

I only bring up the establishment as the opposing force to Banon's presence in the WH admin.

Its like if you helped me win an election and I awarded you with an admin spot next to the guy who took a dump on your front lawn.
Nobody forces anyone to work for the Trump administration. They take the job because they want to make Trump succeed. So, like, get the fuck with the program, you know. Underneath the glamor it's a real job.

Nobody forces anyone to work for the Trump administration. They take the job because they want to make Trump succeed. So, like, get the fuck with the program, you know. Underneath the glamor it's a real job.

Yes but it seems like Trump set the program up to be "chaos" from the get go. That's kinda my point.

pigeon

Banned

A big part of the difference is mostly that Trump was, in fact, so repulsive to the "establishment" (that being people who think Nazis are bad) that he legitimately couldn't get anybody competent to go to work for him.

Like, one notable thing that happened is that Trump basically stopped nominating people for posts a few months ago. Literally he can't find anybody that the GOP will agree to nominate that will take the job.

Yes but it seems like Trump set the program up to be "chaos" from the get go. That's kinda my point.

I mean it is the feature many articles talk about that is how he likes it . It is not the only reason though. Much of the people that was brought along had no business in doing the job and one of the earlier articles I read that the people in the administration did not want the establishment people in there.

It is basically getting random people off the street who hate the people that run the show A.K.A the establishment, and thinking they can run things better than everyone else. Of course, they themselves have no experience or real idea to run the government with the addition of a few of them having large egos. Cue infighting, making amateur mistakes, or getting outmaneuvered .

”The globalists gutted the American working class and created a middle class in Asia ... If we deliver ... we'll get 60 percent of the white vote, and 40 percent of the black and Hispanic vote and we'll govern for 50 years ... Like [Andrew] Jackson's populism, we're going to build an entirely new political movement. It's everything related to jobs. The conservatives are going to go crazy. I'm the guy pushing a trillion-dollar infrastructure plan ... It will be as exciting as the 1930s, greater than the Reagan revolution — conservatives, plus populists, in an economic nationalist movement."

Nothing of this vision came to pass. There is no trillion-dollar infrastructure plan, or anything else resembling a ”jobs" agenda. There is no multiracial economic populist movement behind Trump; his approval in the latest Quinnipiac poll is 44 percent among whites and 24 percent among nonwhites. And Bannon has lost several internal White House policy fights to his ”globalist" nemeses, as Trump has flinched from junking NAFTA, gutting the Export-Import Bank, branding China a currency manipulator or raising taxes on the wealthy.

Where did Bannon go wrong? His first order of business had nothing to with jobs, let alone bridging racial divisions. He played a singular role in engineering the travel ban targeting Muslim-majority countries, cutting Cabinet agencies out of the loop and purposefully dropping it without warning on a Friday to stoke maximum weekend street protest from the left. Courts balked, and Republican members of Congress complained about the shoddy process. It was Trump's first political defeat as president, a humiliating own-goal that sowed early doubts about the administration's basic competence.

Bannon was clearly enamored of proposals that challenged partisan orthodoxy, such as when he floated a new 44 percent top tax rate for incomes above $5 million. But he had no capacity to follow through. His trial balloons were laughed off by conservatives, and his association with the ”alt-right" made him a toxic negotiating partner for the left. Bannon's nemesis, economic adviser Gary Cohn, meanwhile, built up a relatively competent team that ran circles around the poorly staffed former Breitbart chairman.

A big part of the difference is mostly that Trump was, in fact, so repulsive to the "establishment" (that being people who think Nazis are bad) that he legitimately couldn't get anybody competent to go to work for him.
I question this assessment. I think Trump is vulgar to most people because of his conduct, not his underlying philosophy. For instance I think Pat Buchanan could have been a normal president. Rand Paul talks about rethinking our international engagements on a daily basis but in the (even bleaker) parallel universe where he won this election, I don't see him having issues with basic white house function and staffing. Most people just accept the results of the election, mark it down as notable, and get to work like responsible adults with baseline emotional maturity. So, again, it's amazing this administration has had so much histrionics associated with it because... normal people are actually averse to stuff like this and prefer to just have a quiet, non-hostile workplace.
Like, one notable thing that happened is that Trump basically stopped nominating people for posts a few months ago. Literally he can't find anybody that the GOP will agree to nominate that will take the job.
I agree that people are avoiding the White House because it's career suicide but I also would like to think that the understaffing has something to do with having a president whose daily routine is to sit around and watch CNN.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom