• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2017 |OT5| The Man In the High Chair

Status
Not open for further replies.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
I am half expecting the Judiciary to somehow join in with all this chaos. Congress is a mess, the White House is having a backstabbing party. All we need is Gorsuch to start running his mouth about something idiotic with Civil rights to have the trifecta of Modern Republican dumpster fires.

I am half expecting the Judiciary to somehow join in with all this chaos. Congress is a mess, the White House is having a backstabbing party. All we need is Gorsuch to start running his mouth about something idiotic with Civil rights to have the trifecta of Modern Republican dumpster fires.

RBG got so much shit for daring to open her
wizened old woman
mouth last year, but I guarantee you the right-wing wouldn't say a damn word if Gorsuch said some hateful shit with that phony "Aw, shucks" demeanor of his.

Ryan wants the Senate to make the first move.

If that involves going "oh yeah we'll totally have a conference committee, yessiree bob" and then teehee, I'm just going to rubber stamp it, so be it.

I wonder if the Senate could come back with some obscure rules they didn't follow correctly after Ryan goes "SIKE" and say "oh, it didn't actually pass right, we need to revote, sorry Ryan, oh woops, it didn't hit 50"

Standoff in the White House.

Standoff between both chambers of Congress.

Next we'll learn that Alito got but ONE MORE TIME to eat one of Kagan's lean cuisines.

Kusagari

So Trump is feuding with half of his cabinet.

The Mooch is feuding with Priebus and probably Bannon now.

The Senate Republicans are feuding with the House Republicans.

Feeling that unity?

Ryan lacks the votes to clean pass the skinny bill, which we know due to a few statements from a few HFC members.

Ryan also doesn't want to be bothered cancelling his vacation and working on a bill

Ryan also believes any committee bill will have the same problems the senate has had and will never actually work out to enough votes in the senate

Ryan is bitter McConnell is shoving all this onto him, expecting him and his chamber to take the fall for it when the insurance industry explodes, especially after Ryan's chamber did the hard vote, the senate is taking an easy way out.

This is my take on Ryan's statement, since it's pretty ambiguous.

I actually can't believe they took a picture together.

sub-buzz-19220-1501196745-1.jpg

What article is this from?

Kevinroc

DFx1CzoXYAA6fSh.jpg:large

I honestly don't believe the Rs have the margins in the House to pass a simple "skinny repeal". Their own bill passed by what 2 votes?

If the game is to blame the other chamber, you're reaching replacing-leadership status, cause this is their major policy goal.

They are blaming each other for their crap bill and playing chicken. This would be hilarious if it weren't so scary.

Crocodile

Called Portman. No idea what good it will do but fuck the GOP

I have never met a black person like Paris and I've met a shit ton of black people (I'm black). Even the black Republicans I've met have never been this far gone. Like wtf, how does he even spew this shit? Guarantee he's not like this off the air.

Few things piss me off more than Uncle Toms. I'll never understand how people join a party that goes out of its way to fuck with you :/

Random Human

They were trying to grab your prize. They work for the mercenary. The masked man.
I know this was pages ago, but that photo of Preibus and Mooch is a wonderful piece of photojournalism. The body language tells such a story.

Suikoguy

I whinny my fervor lowly, for his length is not as great as those of the Hylian war stallions
So Trump is feuding with half of his cabinet.

The Mooch is feuding with Priebus and probably Bannon now.

The Senate Republicans are feuding with the House Republicans.

Feeling that unity?

It's the most fractured I've seen the GOP.
It's difficult to see the situation and not see that something is happening under the surface we don't know about yet.

Ryan lacks the votes to clean pass the skinny bill, which we know due to a few statements from a few HFC members.

Ryan also doesn't want to be bothered cancelling his vacation and working on a bill

Ryan also believes any committee bill will have the same problems the senate has had and will never actually work out to enough votes in the senate

Ryan is bitter McConnell is shoving all this onto him, expecting him and his chamber to take the fall for it when the insurance industry explodes, especially after Ryan's chamber did the hard vote, the senate is taking an easy way out.

This is my take on Ryan's statement, since it's pretty ambiguous.

This is exactly my read. I think Ryan is hoping this thing dies in the senate so he can blame them. If it goes to committee they all take the blame.

Honestly, I think this is Ryan's best play.

sc0la

Unconfirmed Member
It may turn out winning 16 was the worst thing that could have happened to the republicans. If Hillary had won and Ds grabbed one of the two chambers they would have licked their wounds and pulled out obstruct obstruct obstruct playbook. They would have been on message, together and in high spirits "fighting the good fight"

It's definitely not great for America but at least it's super bad for them.

Edit:
Hahahaha this might be the best article Chris Cillizza has ever written:
Anthony Scaramucci's absolutely bananas quotes to the New Yorker, ranked

PBY

Banned
It may turn out winning 16 was the worst thing that could have happened to the republicans. If Hillary had won and Ds grabbed one of the two chambers they would have licked their wounds and pulled out obstruct obstruct obstruct playbook. They would have been on message, together and in high spirits "fighting the good fight"

Eh I disagree

They're in rough shape, but we said Trump winning the nom was the low point.

Still a ways til 2018.

sc0la

Unconfirmed Member
Eh I disagree

They're in rough shape, but we said Trump winning the nom was the low point.

Still a ways til 2018.
Who is we? It certainly wasn't a low point. It was a shit show but this, this is something else all together.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist

Have to remember this article from a few weeks ago: GOP Senator Explains Party's Disarray: Nobody Expected Trump to Win

”Look, I didn't expect Donald Trump to win, I think most of my colleagues didn't, so we didn't expect to be in this situation," (This was when being asked about the Health Care Legislation)

The turtle was looking so forward to four more years of obstructing everything while being called a mastermind.

This actually crafting legislation thing is hard :(

And Paul Ryan, going from Boy Wonder Policy Wonk to manager of the most obstreperous daycare in history.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
So, if this thing does fail, what happens next? Does McConnell try again in the fall?

Trump winning was the best thing for the Democrats. He is tarnishing the GOP brand. They look incompetent at governing.

I'd argue republicans are just as much at fault here. They are great at obstructing but horrible at governing.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
Burgess Everett
Burgess Everett‏ @burgessev

Capito tells me Ryan statement was "a bit hard to dechipher."

feel like iron clad commitment? "It didn't to me"

kirblar

I mean, I can think of one thing that would've been better.
The problem (and pyrrhic victory danger) lied/lies in 2020 being a redistricting year.

A GOP wave that year would have been a disaster (and somewhat likely after 12 years of D presidents)

You want me to be as objective as possible?

Donald Trump is a testament to the fact that the idea of a "good businessman" is actually meaningless because there are no relevant skills to business. It's all luck moderated by preexisting financial resources.

And if we're really being honest, you don't even need the luck. Donald Trump's businesses failed often enough that he's clearly not lucky, but a large enough financial cushion makes it so that you can't really fail.

Chris Rock had an old bit about the difference between being rich and being wealthy, where the former could be blown on a bad night in Vegas while the latter can't be destroyed, even intentionally. I think it's clear that most of the top earners are actually wealthy since it's almost impossible for them to lose it.

Plinko

Dan Yoken
Dan Yoken‏ @yokendan

Senior GOP aide to Axios: despite Ryan statement, House could "still pass the skinny bill"

As someone on Twitter just said, if Senate really didn't want this passed, they could just put a poison pill in it. They aren't doing that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom