• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF Interim Thread of USA General Elections (DAWN OF THE VEEP)

Status
Not open for further replies.

grandjedi6

Master of the Google Search
Hcoregamer00 said:
He's becoming a Bush Republican? This is news to me. If anything, McCain was the one who had the right strategy to fight in Iraq. The problem was that the president was so stupid that he ignored McCain's strategy for 3 years. McCain was not a Bush Republican, because frankly Bush disagreed with the conservative base on many issues we hold dear to our heart. McCain is like Bush because he has been fighting the conservative wing of the Republican party, but aside from that there really isn't anything else to constitute himself as a "Bush Republican."

I wouldn't describe McCain as a Bush 3rd term like people say but at the same time he isn't the maverick people think he is. It's hard to ignore the fact that McCain has visibly changed several of his positions to more match Bush's in order to get the nominaton. He's starting to shift back for the general election (climate change!) but McCain's future may have already been set in stone.

I disagree, if Bobby Jindal ran in this election, he would have gained the nomination easily. After all, he is intelligent and charismatic, something that was not present in any of the Republican nominees for 2008.

It wasn't only because all his opponents were lackluster that McCain won the nomination. The Republican brand is tarnished his election cycle and anyone who follows the traditional Republican positions is doomed

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
Lieberman is a member of the Democratic? party.

edit: Can't Obama just do a surprise visit to Iraq or some shit and take that weapon away from McCain? Seems like he has a few days to relax. WHY NOT HEAD TO IRAQ

sangreal said:
No, he isn't. He caucuses with the Democrats.

it's a hillaryis44 joke

Diablos

Hcoregamer00 said:
In the end, any effort is futile because McCain will lose. With the economy the way it is combined with a strong opposition party means it is a perfect storm for losing.

If anything, I will be shocked if Obama isn't elected by a huge 1-2 million vote mandate.
Even with your boy Jindal? :p

sangreal said:
No, he isn't. He caucuses with the Democrats.
Not for long... I wouldn't be surprised if he caucuses with the GOP eventually. Especially if he tried to pull something really ballsy, like, say, speaking at the RNC. Or trying to become McCain's VP, or pushing for some other role in his administration should he be elected.

Diablos said:

Not for long... I wouldn't be surprised if he caucuses with the GOP eventually. Especially if he tried to pull something really ballsy, like, say, speaking at the RNC. Or trying to become McCain's VP, or pushing for some other role in his administration should he be elected.

He is already slated to speak at the convention according to Hannity.

Diablos

Y2Kev said:
edit: Can't Obama just do a surprise visit to Iraq or some shit and take that weapon away from McCain? Seems like he has a few days to relax. WHY NOT HEAD TO IRAQ
Because he just got done basically traveling non-stop for 15 months and may not want to instantly fly out to the middle of a warzone for what is essentially a photo op?

Dr. Kitty Muffins said:
He is already slated to speak at the convention according to Hannity.
What a loser.

Tamanon

Banned
I dunno, saying gutgina is sexist is pretty silly, it's not a label of sex or having to do with gender. It's mean, but not sexist.

Dude at dKos basically sums up my thoughts of the last few days:

First, Obama goes to the Senate and confronts Joe Lieberman. It's not clear what he said, but it is clear that someone has walked up to that two-faced quisling for the first time since he ignored the will of the party and ran as a fake Democrat, and said something to the effect that, "Joe, you're fucking fake Democrat."

Then, he informs the party that there will be no more lobbyist money for the DNC.

Then he says, "Howard Dean is doing a great job and will continue!"

Somebody help me! It's like I went to sleep and woke up in an alternate universe!

Good times ahead.

Clevinger

thekad said:
Um, where have you been? Ami has been banning anything that could even be construed as sexist. You can't even say the b-word in these threads anymore.

Stop whining.

Look at the first post in this thread...

grandjedi6

Diablos said:

Lieberman is in line with the Democrats almost completely on Domestic issues. And just today Reid reconfirmed that Lieberman will be keeping his Chairman positions. He isn't going anywhere

Hcoregamer00

The 'H' stands for hentai.
Diablos said:

That's another story, Jindal would likely electrify the republican base the same was Obama has electrified the democratic base.

Don't forget that the main reason why republicans are not going out in large numbers is because they don't have a charismatic and eloquent speaker who can energize the base by pushing political views they agree with.

McCain with his immigration bill doesn't have many supporters from the base.

Odrion

Banned
Actually, The Daily Show had a good segment on the media being sexist towards Hillary.

then they made that one girl strip

(also they showed a fox news clip of some anchor calling barack a black muslim who is invading america, anyone have a youtube of that?)

Diablos

Lieberman at the RNC could range from being disastrous for Democrats or just plain hilarious depending on what he says.

Hcoregamer00 said:
That's another story, Jindal would likely electrify the republican base the same was Obama has electrified the democratic base.

Don't forget that the main reason why republicans are not going out in large numbers is because they don't have a charismatic and eloquent speaker who can energize the base by pushing political views they agree with.

I've watched Jindal speak, he doesn't even come close to matching Obama's charisma. And why would McCain have someone speak for views that he may not even necessarily embrace should he become President? Jindal seems more conservative than McCain.

Kaeru

Banned
Tamanon said:
I dunno, saying gutgina is sexist is pretty silly, it's not a label of sex or having to do with gender. It's mean, but not sexist.

Gina=(va)gina??

Or did I miss something?

Mandark

Small balls, big fun!
Tamanon said:

Yeah, a portmanteau word with "vagina" as a parent, used to describe a picture of a female candidate's crotch is like completely not sexist.

FFS, dude.

grandjedi6

Hcoregamer00 said:

Being a traditional conservative Republicans = death in this election cycle. Jindal would lose horribly, even GOP strategists agree on this aspect.

reilo

learning some important life lessons from magical Negroes
grandjedi6 said:
So does that mean I can't post pictures of Sebelius dressed as a witch?

Lieberman is pretty liberal outside of foreign policy. And Lieberman as VP would probably be the fastest way to get Obama elected

You know how a Clinton excites the republican base to vote against them and instead for whatever shit candidate that is on the opposing ticket?

Lieberman does that for democrats.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
Diablos said:
Because he just got done basically traveling non-stop for 15 months and may not want to instantly fly out to the middle of a warzone for what is essentially a photo op?

....but it'd make mccain look lollers!

Banned
Agent Icebeezy said:
That is because it is seemingly his only strength.
Technically yes, but that doesn't mean McCain can't attack in other ways. He should move the discussion away from the military becuase no one actually believe Barack Obama is more knowledgeable about war than John McCain. McCain might as well be telling the american people that he is older as well.

McCain needs to look very closely at the things Obama has said lately that could trip him up. He supported the democrats sitting on the free trade deal with Columbia, a move that was clearly done to favor the special interests a.k.a the unions.

He can point out that Barack obama withdrawal strategy is just a reshuffling of troops overseas. American troops will come home but the costs are still going to be very high to maintain our military. Our new taxes are going to be going to troops overseas instead of borrowing money, which is better but not necessarily what a lot of Americans want, now is that what they envision when Obama talks about Withdrawal

He can point out that Obama supports needless regulation like Net Neutrality, and isn't very capitalist on the little issues like that(which is really a huge issue)

For mcCain to win he has to pull someone out of the shadows that can really reinvigorate the base of independents and libertarians. Not conservatives, becuase those people are never going to vote for Obama, and the threat of sitting out generals is often a bluff

Someone who is moderate and young. He may even have to ignore the rule of never picking a VP that is better than you.

Hcoregamer00 said:
In the end, any effort is futile because McCain will lose. With the economy the way it is combined with a strong opposition party means it is a perfect storm for losing.

If anything, I will be shocked if Obama isn't elected by a huge 1-2 million vote mandate.
He is going to pull a Reagan. I gurantee

harSon

Banned
Mandark said:
Yeah, a portmanteau word with "vagina" as a parent, used to describe a picture of a female candidate's crotch is like completely not sexist.

FFS, dude.

Tasteless? Yes. But sexist? Not at all. Would (Hypothetically speaking) pointing out Mccain's saggy geezer balls protruding out of his Khaki pants be sexist?

grandjedi6

Mercury Fred said:
Democrats really need a better majority in the Senate so they can strip Joementum of his chairman spots.

Unless Lieberman truly does go completely Zell Miller insane, he's keeping his chairman positions no matter what happens this fall

I'm also found of the Eisenhower

reilo

grandjedi6 said:
Unless Lieberman truly does go completely Zell Miller insane, he's keeping his chairman positions no matter what happens this fall

I'm also found of the Eisenhower

Wait...

Stevenson won all the traditional red states... which would be leaning heavily republican these days? Bizarro world looking at that map.

pyros

SenObamasm-4.jpg

Let there be hope

Diablos

grandjedi6 said:
That's bullshit. Why should they let him keep his positions if he's basically going to backstab those he caucuses with at the RNC?

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
He can point out that Obama supports needless regulation like Net Neutrality, and isn't very capitalist on the little issues like that(which is really a huge issue)
I don't see the public opposing Net Neutrality. Only corporations, lobbyists and those beholden to the aforementioned are opposed. Bringing it into the debate would only strengthen the cause to get Net Neutrality written into law.

Agent Icebeezy

Welcome beautful toddler, Madison Elizabeth, to the horde!
Technically yes, but that doesn't mean McCain can't attack in other ways. He should move the discussion away from the military becuase no one actually believe Barack Obama is more knowledgeable about war than John McCain. McCain might as well be telling the american people that he is older as well.

McCain needs to look very closely at the things Obama has said lately that could trip him up. He supported the democrats sitting on the free trade deal with Columbia, a move that was clearly done to favor the special interests a.k.a the unions.

He can point out that Barack obama withdrawal strategy is just a reshuffling of troops overseas. American troops will come home but the costs are still going to be very high to maintain our military. Our new taxes are going to be going to troops overseas instead of borrowing money, which is better but not necessarily what a lot of Americans want, now is that what they envision when Obama talks about Withdrawal

For mcCain to win he has to pull someone out of the shadows that can really reinvigorate the base of independents and libertarians. Not conservatives, becuase those people are never going to vote for Obama, and the threat of sitting out generals is often a bluff

Someone who is moderate and young. He may even have to ignore the rule of never picking a VP that is better than you.

By his own admission, he doesn't know a lot about the economy. He won't be able to fake his way through this. Also, by pulling a Reagan, what do you mean?

grandjedi6

reilo said:
Wait...

Stevenson won all the traditional red states... which would be leaning heavily republican these days? Bizarro world looking at that map.

Have you seen any Election map from before 1992? This whole Red State vs Blue state thing is pretty new. Get ready to be shocked by the wonders of: 1960 and 1976

Diablos

Dan said:
I don't see the public opposing Net Neutrality. Only corporations, lobbyists and those beholden to the aforementioned are opposed. Bringing it into the debate would only strengthen the cause to get Net Neutrality written into law.
Obama will never oppose Net Neutrality. Yet another reason why he should be our next President. I'm pretty sure that's something most Democrats and Republicans (like, people, not Congressional Dems/Reps) can agree on: Opposing Net Neutrality sucks.

It is not needless regulation, wtf

Tamanon

Banned
Mandark said:

FFS, dude.

I guess then you're also saying that a male candidate being called a "cock" is sexist. It all just seems like walking on eggshells for no real reason to me, especially on the internet:p

Cheebs

I dunno if he'd pick Jindal....but I am 100% sure of one thing.

Bobby Jindal will be the republican nominee for president some day. Be it 2012 or 2016. I am sure of it.

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
Diablos said:
That's bullshit. Why should they let him keep his positions if he's basically going to backstab those he caucuses with at the RNC?
If you take away his rank, you run the risk of him caucusing with the Republicans, and then Democrats lose the Senate majority. That's the bargain we have to deal with until more seats are picked up in November.

Killthee

helped a brotha out on multiple separate occasions!
Agent Icebeezy said:
By his own admission, he doesn't know a lot about the economy. He won't be able to fake his way through this. Also, by pulling a Reagan, what do you mean?
Landslide.

grandjedi6

Diablos said:
He still votes with the Democrats 86% of the time. I don't really like Lieberman at all and I really think he's been going too far lately with his criticism, but its ridiculous to think that Reid is going to strip him of his Chairmanships for only that

Diablos

Dan said:
If you take away his rank, you run the risk of him caucusing with the Republicans, and then Democrats lose the Senate majority. That's the bargain we have to deal with until more seats are picked up in November.
That's what I meant, post-November.

Cheebs said:
I dunno if he'd pick Jindal....but I am 100% sure of one thing.

Bobby Jindal will be the republican nominee for president some day. Be it 2012 or 2016. I am sure of it.
Meh. Let Jindal run on his ultra conservative message and see how well he does. The country seems to be shifting to the left.

Triumph

Banned
grandjedi6 said:
Well, if the dems can win 10 seats he becomes expendable, but if that happens then it means I will be rubbing my nipples in abject joy because the Republican party has pretty much died.

Banned
Dan said:
The public doesn't oppose net neutrality becuase the majority of the public don't understand it. The internet is already tiered and most are on the superhighway. if McCain could point out the obvious he would win that debate.

And it would look good if McCain could prove that he is willing to learna nd elect officials (say...VP) that understand those issues. Obama hit a bullseye when he called out Bush on the idea of appeasement. McCain would hit a bulleye's if he could make obama look bad on any domestic issue.

Pulling a Reagan means landslide win

Mandark

Small balls, big fun!
harSon @ 226: "Gutgina" is sexist. The way Hillary's appearance is a general subject for mockery because she's a middle-aged woman is sexist. I'm not going to push this, since a ton of people were willing to argue that "bitch" and "cunt" weren't at all sexist, and I'd just wind up giving really humorless Feminism 101 lectures and offending people.

avatar299 @ 225: Your problem is that the electorate aren't hardcore capitalists like you. I seriously doubt McCain could get much traction running in favor of free trade agreements and against net neutrality.

Cheebs

Diablos said:
That's what I meant, post-November.

Meh. Let Jindal run on his ultra conservative message and see how well he does. The country seems to be shifting to the left.
A lot can happen in 4-10 years. But still he is too much of a rising star to not eventually get the nomination eventually I think.

If Jindal is not the VP (and I say about 65% he wont be) I guarantee you he'll give the Republican Convention's keynote address. Ala Obama in 2004.

BTW I bet the dems will have Teddy Kennedy give it at theirs, assuming he is healthy enough.

Stinkles said:
Lieberman is a disgrace to our system of democracy. Like Zell Miller, he should be ostracized by everyone. he reminds me of the snitch from Midnight Express. Someone despised by every faction.

Man, the guy's a citizen for a couple of months and he's already throwing grenades! :lol

thekad

Banned
Are we posting on the same forum? GAF makes fun of everyone's appearance. That isn't sexist; it's just childish.

avatar: I really doubt the national conversation is going to turn to small issues like Net Neutrality. And if it did, it wouldn't help McCain if for the only reason that corporations, and thus lobbyists, are on his side on that issue.

Diablos

Cheebs said:
A lot can happen in 4-10 years. But still he is too much of a rising star to not eventually get the nomination eventually I think.
A lot sure can, but I hope to view 2004 as the far-right's last ultimate power grab. Socially, the country seems to be shifting to the left, should that continue at some kind of considerable pace, Jindal could have trouble. I think the GOP is going to have to shift itself towards the center if they want to be more competitive in the future. Yet Bobby Jindal is cut from the same cloth as Dubya. When Ronald Reagan ran for President we didn't live in a know-everything-about-everyone-all-the-time type of world, so Rush Limbaugh and co. can stop beating their chests saying he's without a doubt the next Ronald Reagan. I don't think there ever will be another Ronald Reagan. Democrats will really underline his ultra conservative stances and it will scare the hell out of moderate voters.

If Jindal is not the VP (and I say about 65% he wont be) I guarantee you he'll give the Republican Convention's keynote address. Ala Obama in 2004.
And he'll have nothing on Obama's at the DNC in '04. Bobby Jindal is no Obama. :D

BTW I bet the dems will have Teddy Kennedy give it at theirs, assuming he is healthy enough.
That would be really nice.

reilo

grandjedi6 said:
Have you seen any Election map from before 1992? This whole Red State vs Blue state thing is pretty new. Get ready to be shocked by the wonders of: 1960 and 1976

You blew my mind like it was a burning candle.

thekad said:
Are we posting on the same forum? GAF makes fun of everyone's appearance. That isn't sexist; it's just childish.
So if someone were to make fun of Obama's appearance, say the consistency of his hair or the shape and color of his lips, that wouldn't be racist it would just be "childish"?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom