• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF Jan 26 Debate/Florida Primary Topic

Status
Not open for further replies.

Amir0x

Banned
You know the players

Mitt-Romney.jpg
vs.
Newt-Gingrich-Releases-2010-Tax-Return1.jpg

And these guys are just doing their own thing on the side for, like, shits and gigs:

rep-rick-santorum.jpg

ron-paul.jpg

On Thursday, the debate with CNN.
On Jan 31, Florida.

Discuss.

The freakout of the Republican establishment over a Gingrich win in Florida would be epic. But somehow I don't think Gingrich is nearly as strong as a frontrunner than he is as a bomb throwing under dog.

Interesting irony: Romney paints Gingrich as a consummate Washington insider, yet all the insiders hate Gingrich and love Romney.

Prediction: Romney wins Florida by 10+, and the general election begins soon thereafter.

Volimar

The freakout of the Republican establishment over a Gingrich win in Florida would be epic. But somehow I don't think Gingrich is nearly as strong as a frontrunner than he is as a bomb throwing under dog.

Interesting irony: Romney paints Gingrich as a consummate Washington insider, yet all the insiders hate Gingrich and love Romney.

Prediction: Romney wins Florida by 10+, and the general election begins soon thereafter.

I don't see how anyone other than Newt can say that Newt is not a Washington insider with a straight face. Buzzwords like "Washington insider" have always bugged me, since they're simplistic labels that detract from real discourse.

Zzoram

Both Newt and Romney are "insiders".

Newt can call himself an outsider because he got kicked out.

Why is the thread title Jan 26 but the OP saying Jan 31?

Chumly

Gingrich was just on the today show. They opened up with asking him if he could agree with President Obama on one thing from last nights speech. Of course he refused to answer the question and just went into a tirade about how awful Obama was and how Obama creates a divide among the people. How hard is it to just agree on one thing? I guess Gingrich does not want to lower the corporate tax rate. He talks about how President Obama creates a divide when its republicans that coined the divide.

Zzoram

Gingrich was just on the today show. They opened up with asking him if he could agree with President Obama on one thing from last nights speech. Of course he refused to answer the question and just went into a tirade about how awful Obama was and how Obama creates a divide among the people. How hard is it to just agree on one thing? I guess Gingrich does not want to lower the corporate tax rate. He talks about how President Obama creates a divide when its republicans that coined the divide.

That's the GOP in a nutshell. Their base hates and fears Obama a lot, in large part due to racism, and so the GOP have promised to never work with him on anything. As a result, Obama can adopt GOP ideas and trick the GOP into running away from their own ideas weeks later, making the GOP look like fools to all the independents.

So are there going to be new threads every couple days now?

Apparently. I hadn't looked at the FAQ in a while; this appears to be consistent with the administration's expressed desire for fewer megathreads. But in that case I'd prefer to see threads of the previous style moved to the Community section. A new thread for every few debates/primaries/caucuses/what have you just makes things harder to follow.

On topic: I wonder if Gingrich is serious about not participating in debates where audience participation is limited.

Chumly

That's the GOP in a nutshell. Their base hates and fears Obama a lot, in large part due to racism, and so the GOP have promised to never work with him on anything. As a result, Obama can adopt GOP ideas and trick the GOP into running away from their own ideas weeks later, making the GOP look like fools to all the independents.

Only goes to show how far the GOP party has regressed over the last 15-20 years.

On topic: I wonder if Gingrich is serious about not participating in debates where audience participation is limited.
I'd like to see a debate full of actual independents in the audience and see if they could relate to them instead of having a bunch of moron tea parties in the crowd like the SC debate.

It's not Obama in particular. When Clinton was elected, Jesse Helms warned him not to show his face in NC. Conservatives seeking office go through the think tank playbook on how to treat the left. Gingrich used to sell instructional audiotapes to Conservatives seeking office, telling them to refer to Democrats as traitors. In Gingrich's day, there was some form of cooperation between the two parties. Things have changed, due to the increased intensity of the rightwing propaganda entertainment complex, and the effect it has had on the constituents of the Republicans that have grown through the ranks the past decade.

ToxicAdam

Mega threads are convenient, but it's a total pain in the ass if you want to go back in time and try to find what people were feeling about a certain topic. I tried to look for a Jindal gif (when he gave the response to the STOU), but could not find it last night.

Evlar

Banned
Really? You'd think he would have done something about the other Poligaf megathreads. There has been one for every season since I've joined here.

They weren't always as huge as they've been recently. Back in '08 you would have new PoliGAF threads for big events (a big primary night, Obama/McCain debates, and so forth) which would then persist until the next big event. They would get pretty big but would not just linger until they hit 20,000 posts.

Gingrich winning SC from that debate performance disgusts me to the core. Fucking republicans.

Also fuck King, sheepish moderation pandering to the whims of the audience and Gingrich is not how this shit should go down. Someone needs to take Gingrich to task on his bullshit.

Pie Lord

They weren't always as huge as they've been recently. Back in '08 you would have new PoliGAF threads for big events (a big primary night, Obama/McCain debates, and so forth) which would then persist until the next big event. They would get pretty big but would not just linger until they hit 20,000 posts.
I'm starting to think a weekly poligaf thread would work out well.

I'm starting to think a weekly poligaf thread would work out well.
I thought the quarterly model worked pretty well for what was a pretty low-key time of the year. I can't imagine that there was broad interest in the finer points of the debt ceiling negotiations or the super committee. Now that interest is picking up again, it might make more sense to do something somewhat more regular, but there isn't a primary or debate after Florida for the next month, and I think the quarterly thread would have served quite nicely through Super Tuesday.

Mega threads are convenient, but it's a total pain in the ass if you want to go back in time and try to find what people were feeling about a certain topic. I tried to look for a Jindal gif (when he gave the response to the STOU), but could not find it last night.
Megathreads are kind of a pain to search, but it really seems like a lot less administrative overhead on the whole than having 3 or 4 threads for the primaries.

Pie Lord

Megathreads are kind of a pain to search, but it really seems like a lot less administrative overhead on the whole than having 3 or 4 threads for the primaries.
I'm not sure if the administrative overhead argument will hold up here, considering that the site owner is the one who's advocating more threads.

WillyFive

So are there going to be new threads every couple days now?

This is how it should be for stuff like this.

If you ever want to look something up from the past, it's almost impossible to do so with Megathreads, since it gets buried somewhere in the middle of a multiple thousand post long thread.

Miletius

I think Gingrich is going to win Florida, quite possibly by a larger than expected margin. We've had a couple of days to digest the debate results now, and by all accounts it was a wash in voter's minds. While Romney's attacks seems to land a blow on Gingrich, it was almost immediately cancelled by the Romney campaign's boneheaded handling of the release of his tax returns and in smaller part, by the SOTU, which also highlighted the disparity between the executive and middle class.

Romney's not completely out of the fight yet but he really needs to roll some heads at his campaign right now.

Mengy

wishes it were bannable to say mean things about Marvel
Gingrich winning SC from that debate performance disgusts me to the core. Fucking republicans.

Also fuck King, sheepish moderation pandering to the whims of the audience and Gingrich is not how this shit should go down. Someone needs to take Gingrich to task on his bullshit.

If Newt wins the primary and makes it to the general, you can bet that Obama will take him to town on his bullshit. Obama would destroy Newt, there are simply too many skeletons in the speakers closet. Obama has so much ammunition on Newt to smear him all over the country so thoroughly that Obama would win another four years by a landslide. And I'm a republican, but I don't want Newt anywhere near the GE.

Mitt stands a better chance, but not a good one. It looks bad for us republicans this time around, there just isn't a strong candidate up there to challenge Obama enough.

Honestly,even though Ron Paul is a tad extreme in many ways, I still feel that he would stand the best chance of beating Obama in the election. He has the young vote, which takes votes away from Obama. He would get the republican vote simply because they don't want another four years of Obama. And he has a very good chance at most of the independent vote. Paul is the most different from Obama, has very few skeletons in his closet, has a strong steady record that has been constant. Obama has very little ammunition to fire against Paul, it would be an election on the actual issues, and Paul is smart enough to call Obama on his "rhetoric" with actual facts and history and knowledge. Simply put, Paul has the best chance of making Obama look like a fool.

Of course, Paul has no chance of winning the republican primaries, so I'm afraid we are in for another four years of Obama. Thats just the trend I am seeing, sad as it is.

GhaleonEB

There’s one thing all the groups agreed on when it came to Gingrich vs. Romney — they’re not really planning for Gingrich. Yet. As nice as it would be for Gingrich to give the left the gift of his carrying the banner for the GOP this year, the progressives I spoke to Tuesday all expected the Republican nomination process to play out as it always does: that is, the next guy in line, Romney, will win in the end.

“We all think it’s funny as shit,” Rabinowitz said of a Gingrich nomination. “But i don’t see anyone believing it could actually happen.”
http://2012.talkingpointsmemo.com/2...w-stoked-to-be-about-newts-rise.php?ref=fpblg

Made me giggle.

The timing of Mittens releasing his tax return on the same day as Obama's state of the union address couldn't have been worse for him. Talk about playing into the narrative. I still think Mitt takes this eventually, but that small chance for Newt seems to keep growing. Mitt is going to be going ballistic tonight. Should be quite entertaining.

LosDaddie

Banned
Honestly,even though Ron Paul is a tad extreme in many ways, I still feel that he would stand the best chance of beating Obama in the election. He has the young vote, which takes votes away from Obama. He would get the republican vote simply because they don't want another four years of Obama. And he has a very good chance at most of the independent vote. Paul is the most different from Obama, has very few skeletons in his closet, has a strong steady record that has been constant. Obama has very little ammunition to fire against Paul, it would be an election on the actual issues, and Paul is smart enough to call Obama on his "rhetoric" with actual facts and history and knowledge. Simply put, Paul has the best chance of making Obama look like a fool..

:lol
Paul would lose as badly as Newt would lose in the GE. Paul can't even win his own party's nomination (not even come in 2nd place), and you'd think he'd challenge Obama on a national scale? He's unelectable.

Romney is the only one who can, and probably will, give Obama a real challenge in the GE. These are just Southern states giving Newt some love. The primary will be different once the other regions have their say.

Honestly,even though Ron Paul is a tad extreme in many ways, I still feel that he would stand the best chance of beating Obama in the election. He has the young vote, which takes votes away from Obama. He would get the republican vote simply because they don't want another four years of Obama. And he has a very good chance at most of the independent vote. Paul is the most different from Obama, has very few skeletons in his closet, has a strong steady record that has been constant. Obama has very little ammunition to fire against Paul, it would be an election on the actual issues, and Paul is smart enough to call Obama on his "rhetoric" with actual facts and history and knowledge. Simply put, Paul has the best chance of making Obama look like a fool.

Of course, Paul has no chance of winning the republican primaries, so I'm afraid we are in for another four years of Obama. Thats just the trend I am seeing, sad as it is.

Did you know that if you guess Ron Paul's name, he offers to spin straw into gold?

Kosmo

Banned
Apparently. I hadn't looked at the FAQ in a while; this appears to be consistent with the administration's expressed desire for fewer megathreads. But in that case I'd prefer to see threads of the previous style moved to the Community section. A new thread for every few debates/primaries/caucuses/what have you just makes things harder to follow.

This. Seems there should just be the mega-thread until the general election, then one breakout thread per Presidential debate.

GhaleonEB

What we've seen in 20 individual House district polls reinforces national numbers- Dems have a real chance at regaining majority.​

--PPP Tweet

I'm bookmarking this thread for PoliGAF for now. I'm a little confused about where we go after tonight, though.

GhaleonEB

What was it?
Looks like it might have been this, which I found here. It was passed today and Giffords is the sponsor.

Ultralight Aircraft Smuggling Prevention Act of 2012 - Amends the Tariff Act of 1930 with respect to aviation smuggling to extend its coverage of aircraft to: (1) any contrivance invented, used, or designed to navigate, or fly in, the air; and (2) ultralight vehicles.

Subjects attempting or conspiring to commit aviation smuggling to specified criminal penalties.

Expresses the sense of Congress that the Secretary of Defense should continue the broad program of cooperation with the Secretary of Homeland Security to identify DOD equipment, technology, and expertise that could leveraged by Department of Homeland Security (DHS) to fulfill its missions. Urges DOD especially to ensure that DHS can identify DOD equipment and technology that could also be used by the U.S. Customs and Border Protection (CBP) to combat illicit trafficking across the international borders between the United States and Mexico and the United States and Canada, including any that could be used to detect and track the illicit use of ultralight aircraft.

meh. I will still use the general PoliGAF topic, like we always do.

It's locked.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom