• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF Jan 26 Debate/Florida Primary Topic

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kad5

The 1% benefit from more than direct subsidies.

elizabeth-warren-social-contract.jpg

"I don't understand what she means by "paid for by the rest of us." I just established that the wealthiest paid for it as well. In fact, they paid for 38% of it, more than anyone else paid for it."

That's what his response was to the picture.

RDreamer

Seriously, that is one mind boggling and fucked up analogy. I can't even piece together what it's actually trying to say.

But really if we're going with bakery analogies, sure the 1% contributed 38% of the baked goods... but they didn't physically bake them. Perhaps if it were closer to reality they provided the recipe for the 38% of the baked goods. The 50% of the people who didn't "contribute" actually baked the goods for them. They mixed the ingredients, and they put the stuff in the oven. Also, all the goods were made in the government's oven.

So the 1% made their money through the work of the lower 50% that doesn't "pay" anything (or whatever shit claim they want to make), and they also made their enormous amount of money by using the government. In real life this is done by using government roads to ship products, etc. Basically the 1% have apparently benefited the most from the systems in our society, and so paying in the most isn't really unfair.

Also, you should tell him he's stupid for thinking that 50% of people pay nothing. There are plenty of other taxes and fees that everyone has to pay, and those are far more regressive, so as a percentage the people on the lower rungs end up paying quite a bit back into the system.

"The 20% is the percent of all income earned annually. The 1% earns 20% of the country's total individual income. The 38% is the percent of income taxes collected by the government that the 1% contributed. The 1% payout is the percentage of federal aid, subsidies, and handouts, the 1% receives."

How should I respond to THAT?

That income taxes represent less than half of all total federal taxes. What they pay in income taxes may be higher as a %, but the rest is caught up in payroll and excise taxes (ie: gas tax).

It also ignores state and local taxes which is actually more burdensome the less money you earn.

uVn05.gif

RGnQa.gif

In fact, the top 1% pay less in total taxes than the top 10% to 1% of income earners. It's regressive!

It's not that progressive a total system from this point of view, now is it?

Here is a good link: http://www2.ucsc.edu/whorulesamerica/power/wealth.html

watershed

Banned
"I don't understand what she means by "paid for by the rest of us." I just established that the wealthiest paid for it as well. In fact, they paid for 38% of it, more than anyone else paid for it."

That's what his response was to the picture.

Okay so I was right that 1% was being equated to the "benefits" that the rich get from the government.

I'm not gonna tell you how to respond to your friend but my response to this analogy is first:

Lose the analogy we can discuss tax policy as is without it. Second, wealth isn't taxed on wage-income alone, I think your friend is talking about income tax specifically but Romney's recent tax returns highlight how wealthy people can pay far lower taxes than wage earners. Also the talking point may be about "everyone paying their fair share" but the reality is about differentiated burden and need. For example would the system be better if the students from the top 1% bracket in our country received the same percentage of federal aid as low income students? There is only so much student financial aid to go around, would our system work better if rich students whose parents can afford to pay for their college education without issue got the same grants as poor students who wouldn't be able to go to college otherwise?

Kad5

Seriously, that is one mind boggling and fucked up analogy. I can't even piece together what it's actually trying to say.

But really if we're going with bakery analogies, sure the 1% contributed 38% of the baked goods... but they didn't physically bake them. Perhaps if it were closer to reality they provided the recipe for the 38% of the baked goods. The 50% of the people who didn't "contribute" actually baked the goods for them. They mixed the ingredients, and they put the stuff in the oven. Also, all the goods were made in the government's oven.

So the 1% made their money through the work of the lower 50% that doesn't "pay" anything (or whatever shit claim they want to make), and they also made their enormous amount of money by using the government. In real life this is done by using government roads to ship products, etc. Basically the 1% have apparently benefited the most from the systems in our society, and so paying in the most isn't really unfair.

Also, you should tell him he's stupid for thinking that 50% of people pay nothing. There are plenty of other taxes and fees that everyone has to pay, and those are far more regressive, so as a percentage the people on the lower rungs end up paying quite a bit back into the system.

"First of all, I didn't say they shouldn't pay the most. That's what they do right now. I would agree that the people who make the most money probably benefit the most from the infrastructure this government has set up. But if you want to use the argument that they benefit from a police force and other things, I would venture to say that it is the wealthiest .1% of people who could afford to hire their own cops to guard their factories (I said .1% because the top 1% aren't the factory-owning, fortune 500 corporation CEOs you characterize them to be. They're small business owners. The .1% is who you are referring to.) Whereas these people don't hire their own police forces to guard their factories. They pay taxes that contribute to paying for national and community police forces.

And you also seem to be under the delusion that only physical labor counts as "doing something." Why is it only the factory workers that work toward making the profit. The manager who shows up early, opens the day, stays late, closes out the books. He isn't sitting there sipping a coffee all day. That's such an ignorant view of executives that people in the occupy movement like to put out. Everyone who heads a corporation is doing something. They aren't putting the parts on the products their company produces but thank god they aren't, that's not what their talent is. They have the industry expertise, the ideas, the managerial skills. That's what their job is and it shouldn't be valued any less because they aren't doing manual labor. That's the communist ideology of killing all the intellectuals and only valuing the factory workers.

And no, the taxes and fees the 50% pay are not far more regressive.
Luxury taxes are much more frequent than the taxes on items such as food and other essentials. Many municipalities have NO tax on food items.
But yes, there are sales taxes. Everyone pays them.
And even if you want to say that it affects the poor more than the wealthy, the sales taxes in most localities are 5-6%, rarely exceeding 10%. So saying they are MUCH MORE REGRESSIVE is idiotic if you're juxtaposing it with the 35% vs 0% income tax rate the wealthy face.

Most people work to get where they are. Being fortunate and getting to go to college doesn't mean you'll be the head of a big fortune 500 company
Most company executives of the fortune 500 went to state schools, not private schools.
It takes hard work, skill, training, the self-discipline for these people to rise in the ranks.

It is so unbelievably narrow minded and narcissistic to think that the only people who work for a living are the people who work in the factories.
The people at the top worked longer hours when they were at the bottom, sometimes 120 hour weeks like some interns I know working in NYC right now."

Any flaws in these points he made?

I told my friend it doesn't accurately represent the tax system and he just told me that he thinks it definitely does....

He then said: "If we are talking about "fair share," the richest one percent pay a larger portion of their income in taxes than anybody else. They also are responsible for a larger portion of tax revenue than they are for the percentage of income earned by the nation as a whole. Finally, they receive 1% of government benefits."

All i'm trying to do is prove him wrong but I don't know how....

As my previous post showed, they are not responsible for the largest % of their income in TOTAL taxes. That belongs to the 90-99 percentile.

of course they give more money to the gov't than anyone else. They make more. The top 1% makes as much as the bottom 60%.

I don't know where the 1% of gov't benefits come from, but I know that's highly inaccurate. Besides, no one benefits more from the gov't than the top 1%. Who has the most to lose if the gov't is dissolved? Exactly.

Luxury taxes are much more frequent than the taxes on items such as food and other essentials. Many municipalities have NO tax on food items.
And even if you want to say that it affects the poor more than the wealthy, the sales taxes in most localities are 5-6%, rarely exceeding 10%. So saying they are MUCH MORE REGRESSIVE is idiotic if you're juxtaposing it with the 35% vs 0% income tax rate the wealthy face."

Any flaws in these points he made?

See my previous post and link.

Can I please just get a response to cream this guy....?

I'm always amused when people ask help for their Facebook battles. If you can't put forth a decent argument then maybe you should research the topic more instead of asking other partisans to fight your battles....

That said... yeah the bakery analogy is a mess and overly simplistic. But I'm not a fan of the "fair-share" slogan. I prefer "sacrifice" and "patriotic duty" but of course liberals are too scared to use those words in connection with taxes.

Unlike the bakery analogy, in real life rich people feel very little affects from recessions in terms of their personal well-being. They don't have to worry about the rising cost of groceries. Rising costs of health-care. Rising costs of gasoline just to get to work. State budget cuts on education don't affect the rich because most of their kids are in private institutions. I could go on...

Recessions hit the lower and middle class the hardest. Yet Republicans want to cut government programs and funding, which hit the poor and middle class the hardest. They say we must sacrifice those government programs to lower the deficit. What Democrats should be saying is that rich people should be asked to make similar sacrifices by eliminating some of their tax incentives (or loopholes, whatever you want to call them) to lower the deficit. It's very true, Republicans want to balance the budget on the backs of the middle class. That isn't hyperbole.

Again, I don't like saying the rich should pay their "fair-share". It should be, they should take on a "fair-share of the burden". They greatly benefited in the times of plenty, so they should show some sense of patriotism and help the country dig out of the mess (especially since many of them were complicit in making the mess).

In the downturn economy, the middle class guy has to worry about layoffs and just trying to afford the essentials. It's not too much to ask to have the rich guy pay an equal or slightly higher tax rate while he still maintains almost the exact same lifestyle.

KtSlime

Kad5: Let your friend know that the wealthiest people also gain the most protection and support from the government. If I were to own a store, customers and delivery trucks could reach my store via government sponsered roads. Perhaps I have an account to store money in which is backed by the FDIC incase something were to happen to it, I'd still be able to get it, or a large portion of it returned to me. If I wanted to advertise I could put an ad on the TV and or radio which uses radio waves temporarily granted to private industry for use, and protected from outside interference by the government. I can also set up a website for home delivery, so that people with Internet access which was created from research by the government, and connect using wiring that was in-part paid using subsidies funded by taxes. The store also trades in money, which gets printed by the government, protected in value by the government, and introduced into the economy by government purchases. The store is probably in some way protected from fire by government sponsored firemen, protected from theft by police officers, etc.

This is just a small list of ways taxes help the wealthy. The rich got wealthy due to the government cultivating a civilization and culture where they can gain wealth.

RDreamer

"First of all, I didn't say they shouldn't pay the most. That's what they do right now. I would agree that the people who make the most money probably benefit the most from the infrastructure this government has set up. But if you want to use the argument that they benefit from a police force and other things, I would venture to say that it is the wealthiest .1% of people who could afford to hire their own cops to guard their factories (I said .1% because the top 1% aren't the factory-owning, fortune 500 corporation CEOs you characterize them to be. They're small business owners. The .1% is who you are referring to.) Whereas these people don't hire their own police forces to guard their factories. They pay taxes that contribute to paying for national and community police forces.

I suppose he is right here. My personal problem isn't necessarily with the 1% so much as the .1%, like he said. So is this guy in favor of upping the .1%'s taxes? Is he in favor of raising capital gains taxes? And as for the 1% being small business owners... eh. They're not. They work in finance, they're in the medical field, and they're lawyers. Maybe a few are "small" business owners, but I think he's using that term a bit loosely. My mother owns a small business. My boss owns a small business. These people are not pulling in 350,000+ per year. If one dude at the top is pulling that, it's not really 'small' anymore. People using that term in these types of arguments are usually only doing so for emotional appeal.

And you also seem to be under the delusion that only physical labor counts as "doing something." Why is it only the factory workers that work toward making the profit. The manager who shows up early, opens the day, stays late, closes out the books. He isn't sitting there sipping a coffee all day. That's such an ignorant view of executives that people in the occupy movement like to put out. Everyone who heads a corporation is doing something. They aren't putting the parts on the products their company produces but thank god they aren't, that's not what their talent is. They have the industry expertise, the ideas, the managerial skills. That's what their job is and it shouldn't be valued any less because they aren't doing manual labor. That's the communist ideology of killing all the intellectuals and only valuing the factory workers.

I know I'm not under that delusion. I'm in marketing and graphic design as my career. I definitely don't think just doing physical labor counts. But I do think that doing physical labor does count quite a bit, and sometimes it isn't proportional. My dad broke his fucking back working in a factory. It would take him literally years and years and years to make what the 1% makes. Is that really fair? Not really. So I'm not in favor of saying only physical labor counts, but I think you do have to give more credit to that side of things than what typically happens.

And yes managers can do a lot. No one said they couldn't. But, look, as I said before money makes more money. Currently I work at a place owned by two guys. One owner got his money from his grandfather. The other owner is the ideas guy that puts in hour after hour after hour. The business is his blood, sweat, and tears. The first owner that got the money? I haven't seen him in like a half a year. He doesn't do anything. He'll still be making money though. Likely he'll be making more money that the owner that's doing everything, and that's all because he put in the money... money he didn't earn from doing anything.

So there are certainly instances where managers and owners don't do a lot. It happens.

And even if you want to say that it affects the poor more than the wealthy, the sales taxes in most localities are 5-6%, rarely exceeding 10%. So saying they are MUCH MORE REGRESSIVE is idiotic if you're juxtaposing it with the 35% vs 0% income tax rate the wealthy face.

I don't think it's idiotic to say that. Someone making minimum wage and having to pay for a family really isn't going to be able to afford much, and so that sales tax really does affect them in a profound way that wouldn't even occur to someone making the wage of 1%. Do you really think someone like that gives a fuck what the taxes on his hamburger are? Well, the poor people that just need something to keep their kid fed and only has a few dollars sure as fuck does.

Most people work to get where they are. Being fortunate and getting to go to college doesn't mean you'll be the head of a big fortune 500 company
Most company executives of the fortune 500 went to state schools, not private schools.
It takes hard work, skill, training, the self-discipline for these people to rise in the ranks.

And most people at the bottom worked to get where they are. A lot of people at the bottom work a whole helluva a lot. They sometimes work 2 or even 3 jobs to make ends meet. Just because you're high on the totem pole does not mean you worked harder than everyone under you. It just doesn't. That's a fact. It doesn't mean you didn't work if you're at the top. No one should try and say the people at the top don't work at all or did absolutely nothing. I'm sure most of them did work and did do something. But opportunity isn't handed out proportionally to your work.

It is so unbelievably narrow minded and narcissistic to think that the only people who work for a living are the people who work in the factories.
The people at the top worked longer hours when they were at the bottom, sometimes 120 hour weeks like some interns I know working in NYC right now."

It's also certifiably insane to think that the proportion to which wealth is handed out in this country is equal to the proportion of work done by a given person. It isn't. I may not have worked as hard as I could, but someone like Mitt Romney sure as fuck didn't work 1 MILLION times harder than me. That to me is the problem. When put so much emphasis on work being equal to pay, then our proportions are insanely off. One person physically can't work as hard as I work in a year... in less than one day. They can't. It can't be done. But yeah, that brings us to my first point. That's more of the .1% rather than the 1%.

so i'm managing a state campaign down here in texas and the other night we had our first primary debate. audience was primarily filled with folks from the district and other politicos and questions were moderated by the former office holder. anyway, one of my planted questions not only ended up being asked to our opponent, but also ended up in the local paper as coming from a "concerned citizen." :lol in total, we planted a good 7-10 questions. the opponent got so mad he started to preface all the negative questions with "obviously another question from my opponent's campaign team...."

afterwards, he got into a shouting match with one of our biggest supporters because she said it was wrong of him to blame the campaign team for the questions because it was her who had asked all the pointed questions. :lol

AlteredBeast

Fork 'em, Sparky!
so i'm managing a state campaign down here in texas and the other night we had our first primary debate. audience was primarily filled with folks from the district and other politicos and questions were moderated by the former office holder. anyway, one of my planted questions not only ended up being asked to our opponent, but also ended up in the local paper as coming from a "concerned citizen." :lol in total, we planted a good 7-10 questions. the opponent got so mad he started to preface all the negative questions with "obviously another question from my opponent's campaign team...."

afterwards, he got into a shouting match with one of our biggest supporters because she said it was wrong of him to blame the campaign team for the questions because it was her who had asked all the pointed questions. :lol

Incognito
Troll
(Today, 09:13 AM)

LOL.

You mean some of the questions asked by concerned citizens are actually questions planted by the opposition? This completley rocks my view of politics.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
You mean some of the questions asked by concerned citizens are actually questions planted by the opposition? This completley rocks my view of politics.

This was the thing that upset me watching the Florida debate. basically they have reached a point of stupidity where ALL questions are considered attacks. Effectively we have politicians saying that their actions and records are off limits and to question them on those things is gotcha journalism.

ha, won't matter. the questions were so obviously over the top that the writer had to be either naive to politics or simply fishing for a dramatic headline. which he got.

Now this is funny, didn't check the whole thread. This story is a couple of days old but I found it to be the greatest story ever told

Welfare Drug Testing Bill Withdrawn After Amended To Include Testing Lawmakers

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/01/27/welfare-drug-testing-bill_n_1237333.html?ref=mostpopular

A Republican member of the Indiana General Assembly withdrew his bill to create a pilot program for drug testing welfare applicants Friday after one of his Democratic colleagues amended the measure to require drug testing for lawmakers.

AlteredBeast

Fork 'em, Sparky!
Now this is funny, didn't check the whole thread. This story is a couple of days old but I found it to be the greatest story ever told

Welfare Drug Testing Bill Withdrawn After Amended To Include Testing Lawmakers

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/01/27/welfare-drug-testing-bill_n_1237333.html?ref=mostpopular

A Republican member of the Indiana General Assembly withdrew his bill to create a pilot program for drug testing welfare applicants Friday after one of his Democratic colleagues amended the measure to require drug testing for lawmakers.

LOL. Hypocrites, the lot of them (post this in the ****ing community thread, this has nothing to do with the debate or primary.

AlteredBeast

Fork 'em, Sparky!
I look at the first page in community, don't see poligaf, promptly exit community. I think the idea sucks.

CTRL + F "PoliGAF"

That is false. It hasn't fallen off the front page and if you think it is stupid, then you have the wrong idea. It doesn't matter where the thread is, it matters that people actually participate.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom