• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF Jan 26 Debate/Florida Primary Topic

Status
Not open for further replies.

Averon

I think some of these things have come up because the GOP has fractured into many things, and those fragments are starting to really separate now. I feel like as a whole the GOP doesn't really know which direction its going, and as a result you have different pieces of the party appealing to some of the different pieces of the base. And the base is getting increasingly aware of differences amongst each other.

It'd be interesting to see how the GOP splinter further if Obama is re-elected. How will this affect the tea-party wing? The fact that they can't stop Romney and had to relent on the pay roll tax cut fight show their influence and power is weakening within the party.

RDreamer

It'd be interesting to see how the GOP splinter further if Obama is re-elected. How will this affect the tea-party wing? The fact that they can't stop Romney and had to relent on the pay roll tax cut fight show their influence and power is weakening within the party.

Yeah I'm waiting to see how that goes too. If Romney gets the election and then loses I think you're going to see some serious tantrums and in fighting in the GOP. The Tea Party will blame the loss on the establishment, and I wonder if that'll give them a bit more power. And if they get more power, then I can't see the Republicans winning much of anything after now, since they're really too radical for the mainstream.

Little did they know, the Tea Party lost this election two years ago with the Citizens v. United ruling. With that ruling, it gave the GOP establishment veto power (via Super Pacs) to strike down any non-approved Tea Party candidate.

Isn't the reverse also true, too, though? All the tea party candidates really need is a few really really rich dudes, or even possibly just one really rich dude, and they can stay in the game far longer than before. I mean in Newt's case he has 10 million dollars just from one guy, Sheldon Adelson.

Chumly

Did you miss the part in my original post where I wrote that a lot of money was spent on ads to shit on McCain? I then followed that up with the number of ads they both ran to to highlight that much shitting on was being done.

And now I am citing SEIU because they spent millions on ensuring Obama's victory with dirty ads. I'm well aware you followed the 2008 elections as close as anyone, but if your memory is a bit shoddy, just search SEIU on youtube and you'll find hours worth of anti-McCain entertainment.

Of course there was negative adds from the 2008 election. But it is very obvious that the adds now are much more negative and filled with more spins. The superpacs ensured this. I dont know why you keep bringing up 2008 when there is almost no comparison.

Man this is some high-level cheating boyfriend stuff. Get caught not responding to the words of a post, and spin it into a personal attack on someone else.

Haha I'll admit I laughed at that. Anyway my justification for putting up those numbers was backed by the assumption that in those ads, a considerable amount of time was spent on the two shitting on each other, and anyone who followed those elections should easily recall.

RDreamer

This is what happens when you have a party that is built on appealing to what it thinks people might like or fear rather than a party that proposes solutions to make the country a better place. I'm sure somewhere there is some issue that I agree with Republicans on, or a couple of ideas they may have that could merit a trial, unfortunately their constant pandering and fear mongering tactics is completely unappealing to me, and I really hope it proves to be their downfall.

Democracy vindicated.

Yeah, I kind of hope that the Republican party burns itself to the ground and then from the ashes we get something thats a little bit more sustainable and actually wants to have a talk about solutions to real problems. I'm pretty sure that won't happen, though.

The big problem is that we don't even all see the same "problems." You and I may look at someone poor or without healthcare and say that there's a problem that we need a solution to. We want parties to offer up different solutions to that, so we can vote on that and possibly solve that problem. A large chunk of people on the right don't believe that's a problem at all. Their worldview is so rigid that they absolutely believe anyone that's rich got there purely by themselves and anyone that's poor got there, again, purely by themselves and their decisions. They're never going to propose a solution to that problem, because they don't believe its a problem we all share. They think it's just that one person's problem, and they believe he has the tools to fix it. For that large chunk of people the only problem they see is government and the only solution they want is "less government" or "no government." People on the left, like me, will admit that yes there are a lot of problems with government, and we should solve those things, but how do you offer up logical solutions when the other side that's supposed to offer up other solutions believes almost the entire institution needs to be done away with as much as possible.

To me it's kind of like approaching a home renovation. One side wants to make the home better and build onto the framework, and the other side wants to just torch it. Then when asked where they're going to live afterwards the side that wants to torch it just says they'd be happy to live in the ashes.

Yeah, I kind of hope that the Republican party burns itself to the ground and then from the ashes we get something thats a little bit more sustainable and actually wants to have a talk about solutions to real problems. I'm pretty sure that won't happen, though.

The big problem is that we don't even all see the same "problems." You and I may look at someone poor or without healthcare and say that there's a problem that we need a solution to. We want parties to offer up different solutions to that, so we can vote on that and possibly solve that problem. A large chunk of people on the right don't believe that's a problem at all. Their worldview is so rigid that they absolutely believe anyone that's rich got there purely by themselves and anyone that's poor got there, again, purely by themselves and their decisions. They're never going to propose a solution to that problem, because they don't believe its a problem we all share. They think it's just that one person's problem, and they believe he has the tools to fix it. For that large chunk of people the only problem they see is government and the only solution they want is "less government" or "no government." People on the left, like me, will admit that yes there are a lot of problems with government, and we should solve those things, but how do you offer up logical solutions when the other side that's supposed to offer up other solutions believes almost the entire institution needs to be done away with as much as possible.

I agree that I would just like to see two parties that don't deny the importance of the environmental challenges we face but both offering different solutions.

But I honestly think there are also a couple of issues that democrats also remain blind and stubborn on. The biggest of which is public education and the negative impact Teachers Unions have. If you are going to fix public education you need to break the Teachers Union, which unfortunately has become a real road block because they are against rewarding good teachers, firing bad ones, or tougher teaching standards. They insist that every teacher should be treated the same, good or bad.

Budget issues are an issue where both parties are significantly blind. Everyone one knows you aren't going to solve the problem without both significantly cutting back (especially on military spending) AND raising taxes. But neither party is willing to speak honestly about it.

To his credit, though, Obama has not been a typical Democrat in these areas. In his State of Union, he promoted merit pay for teachers, which was a direct snub of the Teachers Union and he at least fought for not continuing the Bush tax cuts.

ezekial45

Banned
Recent cover on the New Yorker

Dw3sZ.jpg

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
Just had a Facebook friend post the painting of Obama stepping on the Constitution with the poor guy sitting on the bench and the founding fathers behind him.

I wanted to go off but I chose not to. He's a hick--he probably wouldn't believe anything I said, even when posting clear proof.

Jackson50

I think some of these things have come up because the GOP has fractured into many things, and those fragments are starting to really separate now. I feel like as a whole the GOP doesn't really know which direction its going, and as a result you have different pieces of the party appealing to some of the different pieces of the base. And the base is getting increasingly aware of differences amongst each other.
I think many are exaggerating the fissures within the GOP. And to label the GOP as fractured is a bit premature. The party has encountered tension between various factions in previous elections, yet the party has remained largely united. The lack of a factional candidate underscores their relative unity. They may squabble over details. But the various factions largely agree on the major issues.
Haha I'll admit I laughed at that. Anyway my justification for putting up those numbers was backed by the assumption that in those ads, a considerable amount of time was spent on the two shitting on each other, and anyone who followed those elections should easily recall.
Obviously, Obama engaged in negative campaigning. A candidate cannot plausibly compete without attacking their opponent. Nevertheless, Obama was atypically positive for a presidential candidate. While he engaged in negative campaigning, it was significantly less relative to other presidential candidates. So the truth is nestled comfortably between hopey/changey and savage mudslinger.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
A new NBC/Marist poll shows Romney up 15 over Gingrich in Florida, 42 percent to 27 percent. Rick Santorum is third with 16 percent, followed by Ron Paul with 11 percent. Four percent said they are undecided.
A Miami Herald/El Nuevo Herald/Tampa Bay Times poll released late Saturday night showed Romney ahead of Gingrich 42-31 percent among likely Republican voters. Paul and Santorum, who have not dedicated many resources to the Sunshine State, are far behind.

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/201...r-sustained-attack-on-gingrich/#ixzz1ksDbQQ4E

It's over.

Just had a Facebook friend post the painting of Obama stepping on the Constitution with the poor guy sitting on the bench and the founding fathers behind him.

I wanted to go off but I chose not to. He's a hick--he probably wouldn't believe anything I said, even when posting clear proof.

Haha, we might have a mutual friend. I also had to restrain myself from posting. Not worth it. Maybe I'd argue with someone willing to argue, but I don't think he'll be the guy.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wPMEC2mcorY&t=0m28s

Got a kick out of this the other day. Why are people so angry at Obama, i was never this angry at bush, i though he was a jackass but i would vote him out when i could. The amount of anger at his radically bi partisan presidency is mind boggling.

WowBaby

Got a kick out of this the other day. Why are people so angry at Obama, i was never this angry at bush, i though he was a jackass but i would vote him out when i could. The amount of anger at his radically bi partisan presidency is mind boggling.

This is true. They weren't angry at Clinton either as far as I remember. I remember seeing a woman crying, bawling really, about having lost America, and how she wanted America back after Obama won. I don't know where she thought America went off to.

Isn't the reverse also true, too, though? All the tea party candidates really need is a few really really rich dudes, or even possibly just one really rich dude, and they can stay in the game far longer than before. I mean in Newt's case he has 10 million dollars just from one guy, Sheldon Adelson.

I think only to a limited degree. Newt was vastly overwhelmed in Iowa and now Florida. Yes the ad spending was equal in South Carolina but that's because Romney didn't really compete hard for SC until the final week when he had some momentum from Iowa and NH. But the two states where the establishment put their full weight into it, Newt has been completely annihilated.

Granted Newt didn't help himself with the recent debate performances but he was already slipping in the polls before he laid an egg in the last debate. In large media markets, you need more than one or two rich guys to face off against the establishment.

Without Super Pacs, Newt would have had a much stronger showing in Iowa and probably wouldn't even needed Sheldon Adelson's money to stay in the game longer. So I wouldn't say Newt has benefited substantially in the new Super Pac system. He's just playing by the new rules which he's destined to lose at. Same goes for any other Tea Party candidate.

Plinko

I'm honestly not sure if it's because America is getting more bi-partisan or if it's because he's black.

ezekial45

Banned
5:1 is the ratio Mitt's super PAC outspent Newt's. He'll be fine.

Oh, I know he'll be more than well off. I know he won't run out of cash. Especially since he's no doubt got corporate backing as well.

I'm just genuinely curious about how much he'll have. With corporate backing, he might come close to Obama's supposed billion dollar campaign.

relaxor

what?

Eh, I remember being angry about Bush.

Seeing this reaction to Obama has made me understand bipartisanism. One side just really really hates the other. I mean, I remember plenty of calls to impeach Bush, Bush is Hitler, we have to leave America in 2004 if Bush wins because this country is Nazi Germanizing.

Republicans are going through it too. I'm sure it makes it worse that Obama is black, like it made it worse that Bush stole the 2000 election. Adds the incredulity angle.

Kad5

My friend sent me this:

"Since everyone seems to be so in favor of people paying their "fair share," here's a nice little analogy of our tax system:
Imagine that everyone in this country was asked to bring food to a bake sale. The top 1% (who earned 20% of the money) would provide 38% of the baked goods. The government would host the bake sale. Then after all the profits were collected and counted at the end of the day, the wealthiest 1% would get about 1% of the profit. To recap: They earned 20% of the money, brought 38% of the goods, and received 1% of the payout.

It's one thing to believe that the economy functions better when there is a more equal distribution of wealth. It's entirely another to insist that the 1% isn't paying their fair share. Oh and remember, half of the people didn't bring any baked goods. They did, however, receive 50% of the earnings of the sale."

How should I respond to this poligaf?

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
My friend sent me this:

"Since everyone seems to be so in favor of people paying their "fair share," here's a nice little analogy of our tax system:
Imagine that everyone in this country was asked to bring food to a bake sale. The top 1% (who earned 20% of the money) would provide 38% of the baked goods. The government would host the bake sale. Then after all the profits were collected and counted at the end of the day, the wealthiest 1% would get about 1% of the profit. To recap: They earned 20% of the money, brought 38% of the goods, and received 1% of the payout.

It's one thing to believe that the economy functions better when there is a more equal distribution of wealth. It's entirely another to insist that the 1% isn't paying their fair share. Oh and remember, half of the people didn't bring any baked goods. They did, however, receive 50% of the earnings of the sale."

Similar propaganda is spreading through mail and facebook here in Quebec, but the story is about people going to a bar and paying for beer, charged according to their income.

Similar bullshit.

teh_pwn

"Saturated fat causes heart disease as much as Brawndo is what plants crave."
Well the guy is spreading this bullshit so i'm trying to think of a well thought of response.

Compare productivity gains to wages, and make the 1% the chairmen of the bakery which doesn't do much but takes all of the wealth from the productivity or something. That should sufficiently slant things in an opposite exaggeration to point out how ludicrous it is.

...in FL.

Newt still may perform well in other primaries.

It's over period. The only reason why Newt won SC and is remotely close to Romney in Florida is because of the geographical location. Once it starts moving out west and up north, Romney will win all of those states.

watershed

Banned
My friend sent me this:

I'm confused, what is the 1% payout an analogy for? Are they receiving only 1% of federal aid? 1% of tax breaks? If baked goods is an analogy for wealth then the top 1% has about 45% of all the baked goods and the top 15% have 85% of all the baked goods.

Not surprising. It makes me wonder how much he'll have to work with once he's the nominee.

Unlimited money, he will be fine.

6a00d83451c45669e20162ffcb8573970d-800wi

Democratic donors are not on board the whole SuperPAC thing like Republican Donors are.

Although I did hear that Obama's campaign has signaled to their bundlers that they can raise funds for SuperPACs too now.

The amount of money that will be spent in 2012 Elections will be mind boggling.

Kad5

I'm confused, what is the 1% payout an analogy for? Are they receiving only 1% of federal aid? 1% of tax breaks? If baked goods is an analogy for wealth then the top 1% has about 45% of all the baked goods and the top 15% have 85% of all the baked goods.

"The 20% is the percent of all income earned annually. The 1% earns 20% of the country's total individual income. The 38% is the percent of income taxes collected by the government that the 1% contributed. The 1% payout is the percentage of federal aid, subsidies, and handouts, the 1% receives."

How should I respond to THAT?

"The 20% is the percent of all income earned annually. The 1% earns 20% of the country's total individual income. The 38% is the percent of income taxes collected by the government that the 1% contributed. The 1% payout is the percentage of federal aid, subsidies, and handouts, the 1% receives."

Ignore, unfriend.

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise

Trying to make sense of his analogy and its make-believe numbers and fantasyland scenario was your first mistake.

Kad5

I told my friend it doesn't accurately represent the tax system and he just told me that he thinks it definitely does....

He then said: "If we are talking about "fair share," the richest one percent pay a larger portion of their income in taxes than anybody else. They also are responsible for a larger portion of tax revenue than they are for the percentage of income earned by the nation as a whole. Finally, they receive 1% of government benefits."

All i'm trying to do is prove him wrong but I don't know how....

Can I please just get a response to cream this guy....?

They are using a flawed analogy to try and make a point. The question is not how much they contribute in taxes, the wealth gap is so freaking huge that a 15% tax rate on top 1% can eclipse a 35% tax rate on the bottom 50%.

Also, saying that the top 1% only benefit from 1% of government's spending is well BS.

I told my friend it doesn't accurately represent the tax system and he just told me that he thinks it definitely does....

You won't be able to.

thekad

Banned

The 1% benefit from more than direct subsidies.

elizabeth-warren-social-contract.jpg

It's really stupidly question begging to assert that people making in excess of three hundred thousand dollars a year are receiving very little in direct government payouts.

His argument makes no sense. His example is not correspondent with reality. Your response to him, no matter how eloquent, is unlikely to correct his delusions. Let it go.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom