• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Politicians blame video games for recent mass shootings.

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman

In an interview on Fox and Friends, House Minority Leader Kevin McCarthy blamed video games that “dehumanize individuals” for mass shootings this weekend in El Paso, Texas, and Dayton, Ohio. “To have a game of shooting individuals and others, I’ve always felt that is a problem for future generations and others.”

The Republican leader shared his opinion when asked to respond to similar comments Texas Lt. Gov. Dan Patrick made on the popular Fox News morning show. The lieutenant governor noted that the El Paso shooting appeared to be a “hate crime against immigrants, but he also pointed to “a video game industry that teaches young people to kill” and the “violence of bullying people on social media” as possible reasons for the shootings.

Dan Hewitt, the vice president of communications for the Entertainment Software Association (the trade association for the gaming industry), rejected suggestions that video games lead to violent behavior in a statement to Vox.

“Study after study has established that there is no casual link between video games and real world violence,” Hewitt wrote. “Violent crime has been decreasing in our country at the very time that video games have been increasing in popularity. And other societies, where video games are played as avidly, do not contend with the tragic levels of violence that occur in the US.”

Hewitt added, “Pointing fingers at video games should not be allowed to obscure other factors that likely contribute to such incidents.”

Trump is now throwing his weight behind the claim. Might want to update the OP IbizaPocholo IbizaPocholo

Thanks mods for the title change💪

Last edited:

llien

Politicians engage in heated rhetoric.
Certain crazy minded types try to "end concentration camps" (somewhat noble aim compared to the other crazy guy's) by attacking US officials and "fight Mexican invasion" by killing as many people as possible in US city that is close to the border.

Dems blame Trump.
Reps blame... gamers.

ncmqoWG.png

Planet Earth 2019.

N2l2Zfd.png

Last edited:

TacosNSalsa

There was somebody they had on CNN talking about the shooting in Ohio , he was a former police strategist or something and while he didn't directly blame video games he did bring up being able to put body armor on your character in FPSs. Hate to say it but video games aren't out of the woods when it comes to sh*t like this yet .

Ballthyrm

I guess we know which industry has the stronger lobbyists.

Not really, if the video games industry really want something done, they'll get it passed.
I don't think they see these silly people hurting their bottom line.

I expect more opposition if they attempt to regulate micro-transaction for example.

ThatGamingDude

I am a virgin
Why the fuck does politics these days feel like an ending of a Scooby Doo episode?
"It wasn't the dude being a nut case that made him gun down a bunch of people, it was video games!"

rəddəM

Yeah sure, because humans didn't killed anyone until the day videogames were created.
I gotta say USA, you guys have some serious fucking problem with guns... and excessive patriotism... and entitlement.
21 years old you are killing each other with assault rifles in shopping malls because of "Hispanic invasion".
It just reads all kinds of wrong.

Can we give it some time before we starting talking about this. Both parties are disgusting for pointing fingers and we shouldn't be joining in. Can't believe someone is complaining that video games are under fire when people are burying their loved ones today.

DanielsM

Banned
Yeah sure, because humans didn't killed anyone until the day videogames were created.
I gotta say USA, you guys have some serious fucking problem with guns... and excessive patriotism... and entitlement.
21 years old you are killing each other with assault rifles in shopping malls because of "Hispanic invasion".
It just reads all kinds of wrong.

The difference between assault rifle and a regular rifle, one looks mean. The vast majority of gun crimes are with handguns, not assault rifles or even rifles. Knives are used way more than even rifles, assault rifles are used in very few homicides. The people blaming video games are no better than the ones blaming guns or Trump.

excessive patriotism

I would say in this country there isn't enough. (probably a topic for another forum though)

Nobody cares when its gangs doing it, strange or just political.

Last edited:

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
Can we give it some time before we starting talking about this. Both parties are disgusting for pointing fingers and we shouldn't be joining in. Can't believe someone is complaining that video games are under fire when people are burying their loved ones today.
This is a good statement. People died, mothers, daughters, sons, fathers, and it was all at the expense of some racist political activist who thought he was doing something. The political extremists in this country have to have something to talk (complain) about. Sounds like my right wing, mother, in the face of anything positive or negative, its always about their global agenda.

flacopol

And most of the times this kind of acts are in US ... yes give me my second Amendment

When I went to the beach , I always kill crabs , because , you know Path of exile starts in a beach and you kill crabs...

This is a painting from my last travel to the beach.....

3IYRbfB.jpg

Always blaming something about something

Last edited:

#Phonepunk#

Banned
I blame our politicians for setting a bad example. Videogames are not real.
This is actually probably correct. Hate speech and gun proliferation is only a recent occurrence in US history.
nah, this is ahistorical bullshit. hate speech has long had a place in this country. over a hundred years ago there were the Atlanta race riots stirred up by local newspapers. gun proliferation also not "only a recent occurrence" maybe do some reading on the revolutionary war.

fwiw i don't think games cause violence. i don't think media causes violence, and when people jump to blame these cultural things (video games, rap music, whatever) it's just cowards trying to momentarily justify their biases. violence is in art because it is in life. besides, the exact same games and movies are enjoyed all over the world, throwing out that entire argument.

Last edited:

#Phonepunk#

Banned
Our country is an embarrassment.
only when you get people pretending like this only ever happens in the US. it's actually pretty common. mass murders even happen in countries where guns have been banned.
this is pretty common. we live in a violent world. the US just has way more people and landmass, more opportunities for things to go wrong.

Last edited:

scrob6

Banned
I'd rather they made vague statements about video games than doing something stupid that would lead to a civil war (like the left and their gun grabbing.)

I blame our politicians for setting a bad example. Videogames are not real.

nah, this is ahistorical bullshit. hate speech has long had a place in this country. over a hundred years ago there were the Atlanta race riots stirred up by local newspapers. gun proliferation also not "only a recent occurrence" maybe do some reading on the revolutionary war.

fwiw i don't think games cause violence. i don't think media causes violence, and when people jump to blame these cultural things (video games, rap music, whatever) it's just cowards trying to momentarily justify their biases. violence is in art because it is in life. besides, the exact same games and movies are enjoyed all over the world, throwing out that entire argument.

Sarcasm bro.

DanielsM

Banned
only when you get people pretending like this only ever happens in the US. it's actually pretty common. mass murders even happen in countries where guns have been banned.
this is pretty common. we live in a violent world. the US just has way more people and landmass, more opportunities for things to go wrong.

Mexico has very strong gun laws and regulation, yet, huge amounts of crime and gun crime. Yet, many of same people that want to take the guns also want to get rid of the border with Mexico. (crazy)

Certain crazy minded types try to "end concentration camps" (somewhat noble aim compared to the other crazy guy's) by attacking US officials and "fight Mexican invasion" by killing as many people as possible in US city that is close to the border.

Dems blame Trump.
Reps blame... gamers.

ncmqoWG.png

Planet Earth 2019.

N2l2Zfd.png
To be fair we need a few more stats:
How many guns are in circulation in each contry? And the total murder rate for each? (Guns aren't the only weapons, but they are arguably much more efficient than anything else, except for bombs).

I know that the UKs murder rate is much lower than what it is in the USA, not 100% sure how guns play into the total (there are so many in circulation, they are readily available for the day you blow your fuse).

But my belief is that videogames lower the crime rate if anything, gamers tend to spend more time inside, less time to get in arguments outside that end up in actual fights (on average). I'm talking out of my a$$.

That's a great link. One thing to remember is that news channels get huge viewer numbers when mass shootings happen. Huge viewer numbers means lot of ad dollars. In other words, the news channels make money off of mass shooting so of course they are going to do 24/7 coverage.

Last week, 74 people were shot in Chicago and six were killed. Overall, 278 people in Chicago have been shot and killed this year. Why isn't that reported on?

What do you people expect? The GOP won't blame the guy that causes this (Trump). Trump told a lot about killing people, racism, hate and he will never blame this base White supremacist. If you are not against him, then sorry you are in favor of this.

Lol, this is one good resetera larp.

Last edited:

Bryank75

Banned
Nonsense, I may lean right but I’ll call out this crap and it’s not a good idea to alienate the gaming crowd from voting for you either on the other side of it.

There are no facts to support any of this and I’m sure they know that....

Heimdall_Xtreme

Jim Ryan Fanclub's #1 Member

In an interview on Fox and Friends, House Minority Leader Kevin McCarthy blamed video games that “dehumanize individuals” for mass shootings this weekend in El Paso, Texas, and Dayton, Ohio. “To have a game of shooting individuals and others, I’ve always felt that is a problem for future generations and others.”

The Republican leader shared his opinion when asked to respond to similar comments Texas Lt. Gov. Dan Patrick made on the popular Fox News morning show. The lieutenant governor noted that the El Paso shooting appeared to be a “hate crime against immigrants, but he also pointed to “a video game industry that teaches young people to kill” and the “violence of bullying people on social media” as possible reasons for the shootings.

Dan Hewitt, the vice president of communications for the Entertainment Software Association (the trade association for the gaming industry), rejected suggestions that video games lead to violent behavior in a statement to Vox.

“Study after study has established that there is no casual link between video games and real world violence,” Hewitt wrote. “Violent crime has been decreasing in our country at the very time that video games have been increasing in popularity. And other societies, where video games are played as avidly, do not contend with the tragic levels of violence that occur in the US.”

Hewitt added, “Pointing fingers at video games should not be allowed to obscure other factors that likely contribute to such incidents.”

giphy.gif

The politics of EEUU are always ignorant people? or they try to hide the logic?

And Thank You fucking Fortnite to fan the fire with gasoline, it is surely the strongest influence for this type of news, they will put videos of that disgusting game PUBG or Fortnite, blaming video games and not taking a real responsibility such as prohibiting the sale of weapons or restricting more.

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives

Dems blame Trump.
Reps blame... gamers.

ncmqoWG.png

Planet Earth 2019.

N2l2Zfd.png

THANK YOU!!!

The same way people used to blame rap music for violence in the "urban" areas. This is stupid.

That's a great link. One thing to remember is that news channels get huge viewer numbers when mass shootings happen. Huge viewer numbers means lot of ad dollars. In other words, the news channels make money off of mass shooting so of course they are going to do 24/7 coverage.

Last week, 74 people were shot in Chicago and six were killed. Overall, 278 people in Chicago have been shot and killed this year. Why isn't that reported on?

Lol, this is one good resetera larp.

The hell you talking about son?! Shootings in Chicago are literally reported on and talked about all the time. It's why you know about it. What's wrong with you dude?

Last edited:

Heimdall_Xtreme

THANK YOU!!!

The same way people used to blame rap music for violence in the "urban" areas. This is stupid.

The hell you talking about son?! Shootings in Chicago are literally reported on and talked about all the time. It's why you know about it. What's wrong with you dude?

Yeah.

John Wick, Rambo, Terminator, quentin tarantino movies, have more violence and they have more violence than a Limp Bizkit song ... guess what ... it's from the USA. But of course, let's criticize video games. Is this irony like that or more stupid ?

But sure... lets Hollywood still show more violence movies and music :messenger_expressionless:.

Laughing are the statements of the white house and the grandfather of Donald Trump, the king of ignorance.

Heimdall_Xtreme

Yes, and as of now, if you go to the thread in politics, President Trumps is also blaming video games,

This asshole is not the king of the world and he will not tell me that it is good and that it is bad, if he does not like games, very much his problem, but that the idiot does not get involved in what he does not care . I am very sorry to the people who are American and live in the United States, the reality and I tell them ... the people of the other countries are starting to get tired and are increasing the hatred of the United States, and what Trump does lately is that We're starting to get tired.

By the way, I respect your policy and your American elections, but I also don't involve third parties

Last edited:

Maybe on local Chicago news but they sure aren't on national news stations. Also, I know about it because I just googled the up to date numbers you boob.

Top Bottom