• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Polygon COD: Ghosts Review update: (XBONE better version)

Status
Not open for further replies.

stew

I've read some people saying that the PS4 version in the comparison videos, isn't rendered in 1080p.

So the comparison is Xbox One 720p native vs PS4 720p downscaled or maybe both version are in 720p native?

Has anybody did a pixel count?

What's happening...?

ElTorro

I wanted to dominate the living room. Then I took an ESRAM in the knee.
I see all the people quoting this, but I'm curious if what you are implying by the GIF is what I get out of it.

It's just a joke.

When it comes to CoD being 720p on XBO and having random drops on PS4/PC, I attribute that certainly more to the developer and the old tech of the game. The fact that BF4 runs at 900p/1080p pretty much proves that.

Nevertheless, the lineup of launch games also proves conclusively that the PS4 is substantially (= beyond "who cares") more powerful; although that has been obvious to anybody with a little amount of tech-savvyness. I am getting both consoles, but this is still relevant to me, since it informs my decision on where to buy my multi-plats. I don't actually care that much about the power differential, it does not make me "furious". I am slightly annoyed by the reasons of why it exists, but not more. However, the denial of reality, as witnessed in all the PS4/XBO comparisons during last months, as well as the insultingly bullshit-ish PR from Microsoft, is something that bugs me in general, regardless of the actual topic.

Kaako

Felium Defensor
See!? I kept telling you guys the xbone custom scaler + sound chip combo will be a winning combination. Prepare for many more xbone better versions compared to the ps4 counterparts in the years to come. Polygon always comes through.

I see all the people quoting this, but I'm curious if what you are implying by the GIF is what I get out of it.

Because reading all the anti-XB1 posts over the last month on Neogaf would have you believe that what you see in that GIF is what a large contingent of people on GAF believe the difference will be.

I've seen the argument 720p.. stay with 360. Like somehow the Xbox One outputs the same graphics and power of a 360.

It's reached absurd levels of crazy... who gives a shit if the Xbone version is better. It doesn't mean the PS4 sucks, or someone is picking a side on which console you should buy. Stop searching for confirmation bias.

Or maybe, just maybe.. the Xbone version runs better. Why does there have to be a conspiracy everytime you don't hear what you want to hear?

What does this even mean? Runs marginally better at half the resolution?

Does that even mean it runs better at all, taking into account the IQ differences?

Why not knock the X1 version down to 480p and run it at a buttery 120 fps?

NervousXtian

Thought Emoji Movie was good. Take that as you will.
It's just a joke.

When it comes to CoD being 720p on XBO and having random drops on PS4/PC, I attribute that certainly more to the developer and the old tech of the game. The fact that BF4 runs at 900p/1080p pretty much proves that.

Nevertheless, the lineup of launch games also proves conclusively that the PS4 is substantially (= beyond "how cares") more powerful; although that has been obvious to anybody with a little amount of tech-savyness. I am getting both consoles, but this is still relevant to me, since it informs my decision on where to buy my multi-plats. I don't actually care that much about the power differential, it does not make me "furious". I am slightly annoyed by the reasons of why it exists, but not more. However, the denial of reality, as witnessed in all the PS4/XBO comparisons during last months, as well as the insultingly bullshit-ish PR from Microsoft, is something that bugs me in general, regardless of the actual topic.

Well, admittedly.. MS can't come out and say their system is slower.. they still gotta sell the thing. They've admittedly done a poor job selling the Kinect/TV/UI stuff that should be their focus because it's why they skimped on GPU to begin with to keep the price at the level they did.

I don't get insulted by PR, because asking PR to be honest in their assessment of products is ridiculous.

I'm not all up in arms because when I sprayed Axe body spray on me I don't didn't get mobbed by dozens of beautiful women wherever I went.

Your GIF is hilarious, because people believe that to truly be the difference.

NervousXtian

Does that even mean it runs better at all, taking into account the IQ differences?

Because in the end they look similar enough that a difference in frame rate matters.

Seriously, what's so hard to get by that.

Not answering your last part, because you're trolling.

Zukuu

Banned
ninja edit:
Waiting for DF to bust any myths surrounding both versions.

Spoiler:
CoD runs terrible on every platform.

Shouldn't polygon be a banned site given they were essentially funded by Microsoft?

Dear lord. We go through this every single damned time that a Polygon article goes up. Whenever They bash Microsoft they are praised as the heros of news and an amazing source. Whenever they praise Microsoft they are shills who sold their soul. Can we all agree that they are pretty neutral.

Jesus, I hope these videos and photos have gone through some really terrible capture process, because really, it looks like total poop XD

I also wonder what happened to the Pc version... I played it a month ago, with an adapter to the xbone controller, and was super smooth (though, I had no clue on what rig they had there), and the IQ was so fantastic that you would almost forget about the relatively simple visuals... Now shots with MSAA4x show some really bad jaggies, and even Titan has issues in running this game as smooth as it should...

You have to wonder if accepting MS' money for the "documentary" was the deciding factor in whether or not Polygon would be able to go live as a site or not.

Yeah, I would say that $750k from MS was the keystone of the site launch.

And if it wasn't, where was the guy who should have said "Hey guys, if we do this, it will affect our reputation and credibility for the rest of the life of the site", and then you have to wonder how the people that told him to shut up had the balls to put up an "Ethics Policy" on the site.

lol

Dear lord. We go through this every single damned time that a Polygon article goes up. Whenever They bash Microsoft they are praised as the heros of news and an amazing source. Whenever they praise Microsoft they are shills who sold their soul. Can we all agree that they are pretty neutral.

No. Just like you can't trust a news organization funded by Monsanto to tell the truth about Monsanto. As antitrop stated, Polygon should never have accepted funds on that order from one of the big three if they wanted to be taken seriously. They're like Microsoft's Nintendo Power of the internet.

Appleman

It's because they both are running at 1080p. The Xbone is upscaled from 720p however, giving it a more pixelated look.

I understand that that's theoretically how it should work based on what we've heard from IW, but in all of the comparisons shown, the XBO version doesn't look more pixellated, they both look equally pixelated for some reason (and it's not about the stream quality, although it does make it harder to tell)

mrg6290

As other sites have confirmed, the IQ differences are minor. So yea, provides the same effect at a more stable framerate. I'm guessing that is what he meant by better.

And your 480p remark is ridiculous. Obviously 480p wouldn't be comparable to what is output on the PS4. As many reviewers have stated, the 720 vs 1080 isn't a major difference at least in the case of this one game.

casmith07

Missing the point in most posts, I believe, is the fact that even at 7.0, this game is still a pile.

Activision did what we all feared to a once heralded franchise. Call of Duty is done.

So you want me to believe the game doesn't even run well on a Titan, but is a "steady 60 fps throughout" on the Xbox.

Okay...

I want to see the graphs.

Because in the end they look similar enough that a difference in frame rate matters.

Seriously, what's so hard to get by that.

Not answering your last part, because you're trolling.

How do you know they look similar enough? Have you played both in person? That is a subjective value judgement not supported by the facts.

If you deem they look close enough for your personal tastes, more power to you.

But many are sensitive to the IQ differences and would rather take a very occasional hiccup in framerate for the superior IQ.

It's almost like, to ElTorro's point, you are saying that the X1 version is even superior to the PC version, which also has occassional framerate hiccups like the PS4 version, even when running the game with a Titan.

At the end of the day, if anything, it's strange that the game gets knocked down a half a point on PS4 when their are pluses and minuses to the graphics found in both versions.

sTaTIx

Too bad Polygon is too stupid to realize that you can just set your PS4 to 720p in the video settings, and achieve the same (or higher) framerates than the Xbox One version.

No. Just like you can't trust a news organization funded by Monsanto to tell the truth about Monsanto.
Except Polygon isn't funded by Microsoft. Polygon is wholly owned by Vox Media, as part of the Vox Media News sites. It is a sister site to TheVerge which is a site which often rips Microsoft to shreds daily. A site which shares the same writers with Polygon. If your thing was true, we would never get any articles from Polygon (or TheVerge) where they outright rip Xbox to shreds, and it did happen. It happened during the 'DRM' stuff, They called out The Cloud before we knew anything about it. They have given a couple Xbox Exclusives absolutely shit reviews. I've also heard them tear it to shreds on their podcast a time or two too.

Does this sound like a company that is bought off?
[/rant]

Blackage

Or maybe, just maybe.. the Xbone version runs better. Why does there have to be a conspiracy everytime you don't hear what you want to hear?

I want consistency. If Polygon is giving different scores to all games due to performance, cool, if they just did it with CoD: Ghosts just to cause controversy that's dirty.

I'm looking forward to seeing their next gen update review for Battlefield 4 on PS4 & XOne.

Too bad Polygon is too stupid to realize that you can just set your PS4 to 720p in the video settings, and achieve the same (or higher) framerates than the Xbox One version.

Wait, what?

NervousXtian

How do you know they look similar enough? Have you played both in person? That is a subjective value judgement not supported by the facts.

If you deem they look close enough for your personal tastes, more power to you.

But many are sensitive to the IQ differences and would rather take a very occasional hiccup in framerate for the superior IQ.

It's almost like, to ElTorro's point, you are saying that the X1 version is even superior to the PC version, which also has occassional framerate hiccups like the PS4 version, even when running the game with a Titan.

At the end of the day, if anything, it's strange that the game gets knocked down a half a point on PS4 when their are pluses and minuses to the graphics found in both versions.

So you're calling someone who actually has played both wrong, when you haven't played them yourself.. because of course you'd be right, without seeing them yourself.

Seriously, that's your argument?

ElTorro

I wanted to dominate the living room. Then I took an ESRAM in the knee.
I don't get insulted by PR, because asking PR to be honest in their assessment of products is ridiculous.

There is a difference between putting your product in a favorable light and flat out lying by implication. Implying that upscaling resolution improves the image beyond what the upscaling in the AVR/TV would do is just that. Implying that cloud-based infrastructures will make up for the power differential is also just that; and it bothers me in particular since I am actually a researcher in that field. This "balance" nonsense is also just that. Microsoft has done nothing else that made me feel awkward about having an XBO-preorder. I just don't appreciate the active spreading of ridiculous and intentionally deceiving misinformation. Some might say that speaking of "lying" is hyperbole, but when you deny the objective truth to the better of your knowledge, what else should I call it? If your product has a disadvantage, don't talk about it. Say that you have awesome games and features, and call it a day.

sTaTIx

That's an unverified megaton. I'm EXTREMELY skeptical. If it's rendering at native 1080p, wouldn't that just act as downsampling, giving you the same framerate?

Almost every PS3 game I've played actually runs in 720x480 when I limit its output to 480p. Would be surprising if the PS4 were not similar in this regard.

So you're calling someone who actually has played both wrong, when you haven't played them yourself.. because of course you'd be right, without seeing them yourself.

Seriously, that's your argument?

As has been mentioned before, the many reviews that have come in comparing the different versions of this game have been wildly inconsistent (see videogamer and IGN vs. Polygon for instance).

Why should I believe Polygon's review holds any more weight than the others when sensitivity to IQ differences, as well as framerate differences, is a subjective measure? What say you?

Trojan X

Banned
Just like someone did on the Battlefield 4 thread, can anyone provide a direct super high quality feed of both the Xbone and PS4 version of the game? I want to download and run the video on the same TV I'll play the consoles on so I can judge the differences for myself.

Like BF4, looking at high quality screenshots and highly compressed videos does NOTHING, but looking at near uncompressed high quality direct feed videos makes a world of difference!

Technically if a Game natively renders at 1080p, the game is still being rendered at 1080p, it is just being downscaled by the hardware scaler to the Consoles/TV Setting.

antitrop

Quake 3 vs Unreal Tournament

I'm a PC gamer, so Destiny is completely off my radar. I'm actually not really sure what type of game it is, maybe it's closer to a Titanfall/CoD/Quake3/UT arena-style shooter than I thought.

I figured it was like some kind of weird mix of Halo and Borderlands.

sTaTIx

I'll say it once more: Too bad Polygon is too stupid to realize you can set the PS4 version to 720p via its display settings, and achieve the same (or higher) framerates as the Xbox One version.

I'd love to see the source for that bit of info.

No source, but the proof is that the PS4 is definitely capable of running COD: Ghosts in native 720p if the user opts for that choice in the PS4 video settings (at least, in the review builds).

Proof of this is the fact that the Sixth Axis Xbox One versus PS4 video comparison showed PS4 footage, and it was indeed running at native 1280x720 resolution (as verified by Beyond3D mods/pixel counters):

AlNets said:
Source: http://forum.beyond3d.com/showpost.php?p=1805253&postcount=3792

Alright, I'll pick up the superior Xbox One version then.

Superior to the Wii U, that is.

Except in a fair number of people's eyes, "running better" may mean running native 1080p with an almost guaranteed patch for whatever framerate issues may or may not exist in the first place.

Contra11

Banned
i don't get it why gaf is angry

we should give games score based on the gameplay witch affected by things like

framerate drops , but its not fair to judge any game based on what the console is

not capable of

I didn't care that the 360 generally had better versions this gen and I certainly don't care if the Xbox one version of COD picks up a frame or two at 720p. How could it not.

But, in a weird way I hope that I can see were polygon is coming from with the score change come Friday. I love their features but if they award the XBO half a point just for giggles I'll be pretty disappointed.

gogosox8

Oh come on now. You can't tell the difference between 720 and 1080p but you know when the framerate drops? Who do they except is going to believe that junk? If you can't tell the difference between resolution, then you can't tell the difference in framerates either.

Does this sound like a company that is bought off?
[/rant]

I have a low opinion of games journalism as it is, so Microsoft's $750k donation doesn't help lend them any credibility.

Oh come on now. You can't tell the difference between 720 and 1080p but you know when the framerate drops? Who do they except is going to believe that junk? If you can't tell the difference between resolution, then you can't tell the difference in framerates either.

Not true. It's definitely easier to notice dropped frames than the differences between 720p upscaled to 1080p and a native 1080p game.

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
A 0.5 difference and I'm supposed to question which version to get? Their bold statements may stand out, but seriously a 0.5 point difference?

#teamPS4

I own Ghosts on PC. The worse I've seen is some questionable lag. In the last like 6 years I've played each modern CoD in this format: MW1,2 on PS3, BO1,2 XB360, MW3,Ghosts PC. Questions would have to be very specific, otherwise I could careless.

thank you-

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom