• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Polygon COD: Ghosts Review update: (XBONE better version)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nestersan

Neo Member
Polygon knew full well what they were doing giving Call of Duty Ghosts a higher rating on the Xbox One. They knew it would create this kind of reaction/outrage, and they knew it would get them a ton of hits/news. There's no such thing as bad controversy.

That said, they're going to have to continue giving scores like this to retain any type of credibility, well what little they have. From what I know about Arthur Gies, and after this amusing debacle the website does seem to do some rather questionable press towards Microsoft.

We also know even if they do patch the PS4 version of CoD: Ghosts, they're going to ignore the higher resolution regardless and just give it the same 7 as the XOne version.

Well, you guys can always do like I do. Come hear to read the nonsense they spout and not do them the favour of going to their site and putting any money in their pockets.

Oh come on now. You can't tell the difference between 720 and 1080p but you know when the framerate drops? Who do they except is going to believe that junk? If you can't tell the difference between resolution, then you can't tell the difference in framerates either.

They're two completely different things and your eye perceives them in different ways. It's more than fair to notice one and not the other.

antitrop

i don't get it why gaf is angry

we should give games score based on the gameplay witch affected by things like

framerate drops , but its not fair to judge any game based on what the console is

not capable of

You're trusting them full stop, many of us here are not so trusting and are looking for (and have found) potential flaws in the analysis of the reviewer.

iamjohn

To be fair there was supposedly supposed to be a patch to fix the xbox one resolution. That got shot down.

A patch to fix resolution is probably much different than a patch to fix framerate issues. I can't imagine that the xbone would be able to have a stable framerate and the PS would not.

Steel

Banned
A patch to fix resolution is probably much different than a patch to fix framerate issues. I can't imagine that the xbone would be able to have a stable framerate and the PS would not.

Don't get me wrong I actually think there will be a patch on the ps4. Considering how crap the game runs on PC as well they'll probably patch both eventually, just saying that there's an argument on the other side.

frizby

I can't wait to see the Polygon review score for Dead Rising 3. I figure the game starts at about a 7.0 minus half a point for every 10 fps drop from 60 fps...plus .5 for the $750K...carry the 1, and...

Oh look, Digital Foundry conveniently put the Polygon score in the upper right hand corner!

7WEhvXQ.png

Steel

Banned
That's entirely different an has never been done before as far as I'm aware.

It has been done, I saw a list of the games that had at the time it was being discussed. Just very rarely and never on a game of CODs scale, but as I said above, I think it's more likely the PS4 gets patched than not, just saying it's no certainty.

antitrop

I have a low opinion of games journalism as it is, so Microsoft's $750k donation doesn't help lend them any credibility.

Let's be honest here, they didn't do it out of the kindness of their hearts and their deep, profound respect for games journalism.

It's literally a bribe masked as "documentary funds". Think about how much good press Polygon could have had by saying "Microsoft offered us almost a million dollars to make a video about our site, but we turned it down because... [Ethics Policy]", but then... would the site exist?

Wille517

Neo Member
That's entirely different an has never been done before as far as I'm aware.
There was a PS3 game that got a patch that increased the Resolution by like 53p or something but getting to even 900p via a patch is unrealistic at best
edit: Ghostbusters was patched from 960x540 to 1024x576

Alchemy

i don't get it why gaf is angry

we should give games score based on the gameplay witch affected by things like

framerate drops , but its not fair to judge any game based on what the console is

not capable of

The problem is that Polygon only did it when a negative thing popped up on a PS4 version of the game, while ignoring it when the Xbone had the worse version (BF4). We just want the reviews to be fucking consistent and show no bias.

The problem is that Polygon only did it when a negative thing popped up on a PS4 version of the game, while ignoring it when the Xbone had the worse version (BF4). We just want the reviews to be fucking consistent and show no bias.

The only version of Battlefield 4 that Polygon has reviewed is PC.

Trojan X

Banned
Too bad Polygon is too stupid to realize that you can just set your PS4 to 720p in the video settings, and achieve the same (or higher) framerates than the Xbox One version.

Sorry but I really don't believe in that at all.

If you haven't seen this happen with your own eyes or you have no reliable source pointing this information as fact, then I'm sorry to say that what you said is not true. However, if this is true then I'll completely take back my word and say that you are right with a smile on my face (even though that won't change the fact that the game isn't great anyway).

Please always bear in mind that a console with PC architecture doesn't completely mean that the said console is a PC, and the performance and graphical options of a game depends entirely on the developer.

NBtoaster

No source, but the proof is that the PS4 is definitely capable of running COD: Ghosts in native 720p if the user opts for that choice in the PS4 video settings (at least, in the review builds).

Proof of this is the fact that the Sixth Axis Xbox One versus PS4 video comparison showed PS4 footage, and it was indeed running at native 1280x720 resolution (as verified by Beyond3D mods/pixel counters):

Source: http://forum.beyond3d.com/showpost.php?p=1805253&postcount=3792

It's more like the PS4 version is also 720p native regardless of what mode you put in.

Those are 1080p captures, they aren't from PS4's 720p output.

Anonumos

Banned

Do you have a link for this? I'd like to read Polygon's review of the PS4 version and/or XB1 version of BF4

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
Proof of this is the fact that the Sixth Axis Xbox One versus PS4 video comparison showed PS4 footage, and it was indeed running at native 1280x720 resolution (as verified by Beyond3D mods/pixel counters)
Well... let's hope that's the reason, and not the fact that both are just rendering at 720p native, and whoever posted that tweet that started it all got his wires crossed.

It would be nigh-amazing if PS4 version of the game was neutered by being forced to run in 720p for this press event.

It's more like the PS4 version is also 720p native regardless of what mode you put in.

Yep...
It could still be videocap setting. The console set to output 720p, but capture equipment set to force recording to 1080p. I think that's possible at least.

sTaTIx

That's certainly a possibility, but considering both Infinity Ward and Sony confirmed native 1080p on multiple occasions, that would be an extremely, extremely unlikely scenario. We're talking about a PR disaster of epic proportions for all parties involved.

Whatever the case may be, there lies your proof that a player CAN indeed run Call of Duty: Ghosts at native 720p if he is so inclined, thereby achieving the same or higher framerates as the Xbox One version (I would assume)

-griffy-

Banned
Whatever the case may be, there lies your proof that a player CAN indeed run Call of Duty: Ghosts at native 720p if he is so inclined, thereby achieving the same or higher framerates as the Xbox One version (I would assume)

There's nowhere near enough information to know if this was a manual process or if it even affects performance on PS4.

That's certainly a possibility, but considering both Infinity Ward and Sony confirmed native 1080p on multiple occasions, that would be an extremely, extremely unlikely scenario. We're talking about a PR disaster of epic proportions for all parties involved.

You're assuming the resolution is the cause for the frame rate issues to begin with. Who knows what's going on with that engine.

NervousXtian

Thought Emoji Movie was good. Take that as you will.
Or, you can simply set your PS4 to output 720p, which would ensure an even higher framerate than the Xbox One version.

You can change the output on a PS3 the same way.

I think it has shit all to do with game performance, it's just what the console outputs to the TV.. and doubtful it is changing the native resolution in game.

Unless you have a source that it does indeed change the native source in game.. but I highly doubt it.

antitrop

I think it has shit all to do with game performance, it's just what the console outputs to the TV.. and doubtful it is changing the native resolution in game.

Unless you have a source that it does indeed change the native source in game.. but I highly doubt it.

Yeah, the internal framebuffer will always be rendering at the native resolution. All I can think that setting a lower output resolution for your PS4/television would do would be some downsampling.

NBtoaster

Yep...
It could still be videocap setting. The console set to output 720p, but capture equipment set to force recording to 1080p. I think that's possible at least.

In my experience with capture equipment you have to set it to record at the same resolution the console outputs. Unless theres equipment that does automatic upsampling. For the XB1 version at least it seems to be captured at 1080p because it appears to have the sharpening effect from the XB1 upscaler.

That's certainly a possibility, but considering both Infinity Ward and Sony confirmed native 1080p on multiple occasions, that would be an extremely, extremely unlikely scenario.

Impressions of the framerate where based on the same seemingly 720p native PS4 captures.

SpeedNut

Regardless of platform, even with the next-gen bump you're still seeing a 6.5-7 rated AAA title. The first one from start to finish from the re-giggered Infinity Ward. So much better stuff to play on both platforms elsewhere that it's just worth a pass. Let Treyarch give it a try for next November and we'll see what happens?

NervousXtian

Thought Emoji Movie was good. Take that as you will.
Yeah, the internal framebuffer will always be rendering at the native resolution. All I can think that setting a lower output resolution for your television would do would be some downsampling.

Besides, then your TV would just upscale that shit BACK to 1080p if your TV supports it.

I think that guy doesn't know what he's talking about.

If the PS4 allowed flexible resolution settings we'd already know about it.

Appleman

In my experience with capture equipment you have to set it to record at the same resolution the console outputs. Unless theres equipment that does automatic upsampling. For the XB1 version at least it seems to be captured at 1080p because it appears to have the sharpening effect from the XB1 upscaler.

Impressions of the framerate where based on the same seemingly 720p native PS4 captures.

Yep, this is really strange considering how many times it was "confirmed" 1080p, and considering a handful of media outlets notice a stark difference between the two...

Maybe it's a patch related thing that is/isn't applied to every system?

antitrop

Regardless of platform, even with the next-gen bump you're still seeing a 6.5-7 rated AAA title. The first one from start to finish from the re-giggered Infinity Ward. So much better stuff to play on both platforms elsewhere that it's just worth a pass. Let Treyarch give it a try for next November and we'll see what happens?
Who knows what Treyarch is doing? For all we know, Sledgehammer could be making next year's CoD (and I didn't much like MW3).

Perhaps Treyarch is making the SP campaign and Sledgehammer is making the MP. With Raven making the DLC map packs! And IW can port the WiiU version!

Ugh, this franchise is a fucking mess.

stew

We've got the firsts PS4 version reviews last week, and also videos.

Can't we compare those videos with the videos released today? I think they likely used the same version.

If they're exactly the same and running at 720p, then nobody was able to se that they were in 720p, and that would be amazing.

Other way, maybe IGN is cheating and that would be amazing too, or the versions in the comparison videos are actually running at 1080p.

Portugeezer

Gold Member
Who knows what Treyarch is doing? For all we know, Sledgehammer could be making next year's CoD (and I didn't much like MW3).

Perhaps Treyarch is making the SP campaign and Sledgehammer is making the MP. With Raven making the DLC map packs! And IW can port the WiiU version!

Ugh, this franchise is a fucking mess.

Will probably use the same shitty engine until 2015's COD.

sTaTIx

Yeah, the internal framebuffer will always be rendering at the native resolution. All I can think that setting a lower output resolution for your PS4/television would do would be some downsampling.

Did you even read my other posts? The Sixth Axis PS4/Xbox One comparison video shows the PS4 version running with a native 720p framebuffer.

RedStep

Polygon didn't review the Xbox One or PS4 versions (yet), or assign them the same or a different score. They did, however, point out the differences in a sidebar in their PC review, with a note to check back when a formal review is published. So what are you talking about?

Polygon said:
The Xbox One version of Battlefield 4 is currently rendering at 1280x720, while the PS4 is natively rendering at 1600x900. As a result, the PS4 version is somewhat sharper than the Xbox One release. Other than that, the two games look very similar over the course of Battlefield 4's single-player campaign, with the same lighting and framerate throughout.

sTaTIx

Besides, then your TV would just upscale that shit BACK to 1080p if your TV supports it.

I think that guy doesn't know what he's talking about.

If the PS4 allowed flexible resolution settings we'd already know about it.

Read my other posts.

And flexible resolution settings are nothing new for console. In every PS3 game I've tested, setting the video output to 720p in the console's display settings actually reduces the native frame buffer resolution as well. There are some known exceptions to this, but for the most part, games only render what they have to (rather than downscale).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom