• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Polygon - Exclusive: 19 Minutes of PHANTOM DUST Remastered Gameplay

Phantom Dust

Appreciate the comment Ishmael, and the work you are doing. Reverse engineering it must have been tough.

I want the game to succeed because honestly the game mechanics look like my kind of thing, but I worry at it having a good amount of regular players considering how it looks, and that an average gamer would have a hard time looking past the graphics to get to the gameplay.

At least can you guys see if you can do something about the game font? Something that's similar to Final Fantasy XII's would look so much better for the game.

Kent

In some cases, it's down to malice. See: Panzer Dragoon Saga, where the source code was intentionally disappeared.

Intentionally? That's the first I've heard of that. Got any more information on this?

Look, most of these folks aren't biting because it's Microsoft that had a good idea and released it, and not Sony or Nintendo, and they can't get over the cognitive dissonance of Microsoft doing something great.

While there's no doubt that this actually does happen to some extent, it's very easy to see why otherwise-reasonable people wouldn't be sold on this specific circumstance after watching the video. A couple dudes running around periodically shooting fireballs doesn't really sell what Phantom Dust is really all about, and we're talking about 19 minutes of pretty much just that.

I think what would show much more what the game is actually like, would be something more akin to Nintendo's recent ARMS video; where after introducing the underlying mechanics/characters, some matches were played with a commentator explaining some of the intricacies of character interactions - albeit with having to go into more detail due to the sheer depth of the game's cards and decks, just due to the nature of Phantom Dust.

Freiya

I see it as a "love letter" to OG XB fans that enjoyed it in the past. It's probably going to be their e3, "available now for free" moment on stage. I'm happy that those fans will get to play it again. I'll probably give it a try.
Pretty shitty love letter when instead of the remake we were promised we get an ugly ass port. Microsoft deserves everything they get imo.

KageMaru

I'm always suspicious by what the industry says. They want to sell their games, and even though he may be perfectly honest I have seen and read too many bs along all these years playing video-games.

But I'm definitely not saying he is lying... If don't know how coding works I think it's not something absurd to be suspicious before reading someone else (that also understand how these things works) that's not connected to the project back it up.

He has been candid and straight forward in both the video and his posts here. It's not like we're talking about Randy Pitchford here. I don't think it's fair to look at everyone with the same level of suspicion since there truly are a lot of honest, passionate people in the industry.

Also there have been plenty of people in this very thread who seem to have a better understanding and have also said the work they are doing is impressive.

Edit:

Pretty shitty love letter when instead of the remake we were promised we get an ugly ass port. Microsoft deserves everything they get imo.

What did you expect honestly? It's an OG Xbox game. It's a good port, especially considering the hurdles they had.

We don't know what happened with the remake but if anyone actually wants a true current gen Phantom Dust, they would be hoping this is successful instead of holding a childish attitude. As a fan of the original, I'm ecstatic about this release and hope it does well so we get more games.

Freiya

He has been candid and straight forward in both the video and his posts here. It's not like we're talking about Randy Pitchford here. I don't think it's fair to look at everyone with the same level of suspicion since there truly are a lot of honest, passionate people in the industry.

Also there have been plenty of people in this very thread who seem to have a better understanding and have also said the work they are doing is impressive.

Edit:

What did you expect honestly? It's an OG Xbox game. It's a good port, especially considering the hurdles they had.

We don't know what happened with the remake but if anyone actually wants a true current gen Phantom Dust, they would be hoping this is successful instead of holding a childish attitude. As a fan of the original, I'm ecstatic about this release and hope it does well so we get more games.
I expected what was originally promised and I damn sure don't think I'm being childish for doing so. Microsoft 100% lied and screwed up. You can be happy with the piece of bone they tossed but I'm not. As a fan of the original I'm not satisfied with this in the least. I would have been if we got the game we're supposed to get. Good luck if you think anything going to come from this half a bone.

KageMaru

I expected what was originally promised and I damn sure don't think I'm being childish for doing so. Microsoft 100% lied and screwed up. You can be happy with the piece of bone they tossed but I'm not. As a fan of the original I'm not satisfied with this in the least. I would have been if we got the game we're supposed to get. Good luck if you think anything going to come from this half a bone.

Sorry but I'm not sure how you can call yourself a fan with this attitude. Adam specifically said he hopes this is a success so they can make more games with the IP. They canceled the reboot and announced this game. It's not like they announced the reboot and produced this as a result, so I'm not sure where there was a lie.

I understand being disappointed by the reboot being canceled but we've known what this port was going to be for a long while now. Expecting anything more is on you, not MS or the devs. If you were really a fan, you would hope it's successful so we could see more games made.

So this isn't a remaster or remake? It's more like a port? Well if that's the case then I think it looks solid. Never played the original myself.

Sorry but I'm not sure how you can call yourself a fan with this attitude. Adam specifically said he hopes this is a success so they can make more games with the IP. They canceled the reboot and announced this game. It's not like they announced the reboot and produced this as a result, so I'm not sure where there was a lie.

For real. "I'm a fan of the original game, but fuck this solid port of the original game because we're not getting the separate remake they promised".

Intentionally? That's the first I've heard of that. Got any more information on this?

While there's no doubt that this actually does happen to some extent, it's very easy to see why otherwise-reasonable people wouldn't be sold on this specific circumstance after watching the video. A couple dudes running around periodically shooting fireballs doesn't really sell what Phantom Dust is really all about, and we're talking about 19 minutes of pretty much just that.

I think what would show much more what the game is actually like, would be something more akin to Nintendo's recent ARMS video; where after introducing the underlying mechanics/characters, some matches were played with a commentator explaining some of the intricacies of character interactions - albeit with having to go into more detail due to the sheer depth of the game's cards and decks, just due to the nature of Phantom Dust.

Yeah! That might help. I wasn't sold on Arms until the tournament where they showed how the game really is, and it looked fun as hell.

Yes.

The remake/remaster got cancelled.

This one is just the original for XB1 like PS2 to PS4.

Wait so Im confused. So this game is not a remaster (I knew it was not going to be a remake) so its just an OG Xbox ISO dump with achievments and shit like the PS2 games on PS4? Thats it?

Zeta Oni

Who lied?

Seriously, who lied?

This port has been public about what it was since it's reveal, so no one lied about that.

This was never gonna be the reboot, and it's well known that reboot has been canceled by now, so not sure what lie came out of that.

And one more thing, who the hell are you to be talking about fans of the series like we are dogs who take whatever scraps MS hands out? Any legitimate fan isn't gonna look at the effort that went into creating this and call it "half a bone".

I don't care if you had an original point, your post just is saturated with too much disrespectful BS to take you seriously.

It's absolutely crazy how people admit they don't know much about how a game is developed but still have mistrust or suspicions behind what a developer says.

They said it was a port of the OG game with Live functionality and that's what we're getting. If people had higher expectations that's their fault.

I get the hate for microtransactions but it makes sense for this game in a way for people who have previously beaten the game and much rather not do that again to earn the powers. Besides if someone doesn't want to pay, they can purposely fail a mission three times, choose to skip, and get all of the items anyways.
It's completely ridiculous.

As somebody who has played the game a bunch I can safely say that having an option to buy the skills early with real money isn't going to hurt multiplayer balance at all. That just lets you jump into multiplayer immediately without playing through the somewhat lengthy campaign, where you unlock all of them normally. This isn't like Hearthstone or similar where you are expected to play thousands of hours before you get all the cards; you'll have access to all* Phantom Dust skills after finishing the single player and would only need to grind a little bit extra in-game money to purchase them. (The original developers did this for two obvious reasons, for a satisfying complexity curve and mainly as a tutorial, as more advanced techniques come later.) It's not a serious, time-consuming task where you'll need weeks of play to get them.

As you say, they've even made the single player easier in this version. They are also releasing new free arsenals for multiplayer so you can have a better time if you try that before single player. This that damn greedy MS! narrative makes zero sense here.

*: There were additional post-release skills you originally only got by playing online matches. In this thread the devs have said these will be easier to unlock in the remaster, but we don't know how. Arguably only a few of these skills are considered competitive anyway, they always seemed like they were created as exotic new toys (ex: the titular Phantom Dust skill, which resets the entire match back to the start) rather than useful weapons.

Kent

Wait so Im confused. So this game is not a remaster (I knew it was not going to be a remake) so its just an OG Xbox ISO dump with achievments and shit like the PS2 games on PS4? Thats it?

Not quite.

For starters, it's running natively - it's not just a game running in an encapsulated emulator. The binaries - that is, the actual computer-usable executable files - had to be reverse-engineered in order to make this happen (because they don't have the original source code to use instead). Texture assets are prior to compression used to put them on the original Xbox disc, as are the raw FMV files. Similarly, shaders and other graphical effects that depended on how the original Xbox hardware was configured have to be re-written to achieve the same effects on modern, DirectX11 hardware.

However, it's also been stated to have multiple elements with hard-coded values for what the target frame rate should be - which, while it can account for frame rate drops, it might not work quite so well with running at a higher or uncapped frame rate.
inb4 Durante fixes it post-release somehow.

Game-balance-related data has been removed from being hard-coded, instead being data-driven ("data" is differentiated from "code" in that it's a separate file that the code pulls information from). This allow changes to skills and their behaviors to be rebalanced without patching the executable itself to do so - which makes it much easier to adjust balance quickly and easily. It was also stated that this is being moved to the cloud, meaning that these can likely be changed without even a patch at all - probably going to be something like after signing in and starting the game, it checks the balance version and downloads a new copy of balance data if your existing one is out-dated. This would also allow them to easily implement a "provisional balance test" where players could opt-in to trying out patched versions before they go live (if they wanted to do something like that - which is similar to what Blizzard, as an example, does with its Test Realms for all of their games).

Xbox Live, as it was on the original Xbox, no longer exists. This is why those games can't be played online any more. Instead, a new implementation for current Xbox Live has been added into the game's binary as a replacement.

So while it's not a remake or a remaster, because it's still using the original game's assets, it's going to look better because of the higher resolution and uncompressed textures, and it's going to have support for modern Xbox Live features as well. And it's definitely not just a disc image thrown into a wrapper.

But it's still pretty impressive, from a technical standpoint, that they found a team capable of handling all of this.

wwm0nkey

Man some people really take offense to a port that will probably end up costing $10, I mean yeah I would have preferred a remaster, but they had no access to the source code

dlauv

I mean, it's not even really a remaster, is it? Closer to a PS2 Classic than anything else, but that's exactly what it was advertised to be.

idk, it's more like a Dolphin-enhanced emulation of a GameCube game with a wide-screen hack, which is usually above what most PS2-to-PS3 remasters do, much less PS2 Classics for PS4.

Nonetheless, the interviewee says it's more of a re-release than a remaster. What's more impressive is that it was recreated without source code.

Phreaker

There is going to be microtransactions in every goddamn MS game from now to end times isn't there

The big difference here is the game design was not changed one bit. If you want to play it the way it was originally designed, it's there. If you don't want to play SP and just want skills for MP it's an option. I don't see how this is a bad thing.

Hexer06

Man some people really take offense to a port that will probably end up costing $10, I mean yeah I would have preferred a remaster, but they had no access to the source code

As much as I want this game, they could charge $60 and I'd still be fully hyped. Granted, I'm sure that would lose everyone else lol, but price isn't an issue for me when it comes to this game. I would have loved the remaster tho. This game fully deserves a sequel. Hopefully with enough sales and interest from gamers, MS will realize they still need this game. Lol

Dinjoralo

My take on the microtransationy stuff: You could have some kind of cheat code. It shouldn't have to be paid DLC.

Either way, I'm excited to try this out. Hopefully, the windows version won't be a crapshoot, and it won't be super pricey. Though hearing this game only costed $20 when it came out is pretty insane to me, I didn't think games could be stocked in stores for that price.

wwm0nkey

As much as I want this game, they could charge $60 and I'd still be fully hyped. Granted, I'm sure that would lose everyone else lol, but price isn't an issue for me when it comes to this game. I would have loved the remaster tho. This game fully deserves a sequel. Hopefully with enough sales and interest from gamers, MS will realize they still need this game. Lol
I'm sure the microtransactions will work well for them, they're are going to be people who just want to skip the SP, happy the unlocking have changed though so people who want to unlock the old way can

If Microsoft plays its cards right this could be a hit. Not a major one, but a success that brings interest to the brand.

And if it works Xbox will have another exclusive that could interest gamers, which could also lead to the announcement of a bigger PD project.

So please, please, dont fuck this up.

Freiya

For real. "I'm a fan of the original game, but fuck this solid port of the original game because we're not getting the separate remake they promised".

I understand being disappointed by the reboot being canceled but we've known what this port was going to be for a long while now. Expecting anything more is on you, not MS or the devs. If you were really a fan, you would hope it's successful so we could see more games made.

I dunno whats so hard to understand and why you guys seem to want to put words in my mouth but let me try again. No where did I say I expected this port to be more than it was. I thought I was making it clear I'm disappointed with what we got instead of what we were originally supposed to get. As a fan of the original game I have zero problem now saying it's 2017 and I actually care about graphics to go along with my good game play. I shouldn't have to choose or settle. Especially when it could have easily been done if Microsoft took it seriously in the first place.

Oh and obviously I would love to see real reboot or remake but I'm not naive enough to think this port is going to bring us there. From Microsoft no less? Yea right. Phantom Dust remake was one of the only games I even cared about on xbox one and Microsoft pooped on it and served this port instead. Yea sorry but no I'm not happy.

Hexer06

I dunno whats so hard to understand and why you guys seem to want to put words in my mouth but let me try again. No where did I say I expected this port to be more than it was. I thought I was making it clear I'm disappointed with what we got instead of what we were originally supposed to get. As a fan of the original game I have zero problem now saying it's 2017 and I actually care about graphics to go along with my good game play. I shouldn't have to choose or settle. Especially when it could have easily been done if Microsoft took it seriously in the first place.

Oh and obviously I would love to see real reboot or remake but I'm not naive enough to think this port is going to bring us there. From Microsoft no less? Yea right. Phantom Dust remake was one of the only games I even cared about on xbox one and Microsoft pooped on it and served this port instead. Yea sorry but no I'm not happy.

I'm sure most ppl are upset or disappointed with the remake being canceled, but if it's nothing at all or this port, I will most definitely take this port. More ppl will see this game now more than ever. And if this somehow turns into a hit (I'll be praying to all the gods for that lol), I could certainly see MS putting some money into it. We just need ppl to buy this and play it and spread the word. :D

Looks way better than what I thought. I liked everything I heard in the interview. Can't wait to see if we get some new cards, classes, arsenals, etc.

With cross-buy, if I buy this on Xbox I get a PC copy, right?

Phreaker

Looks way better than what I thought. I liked everything I heard in the interview. Can't wait to see if we get some new cards, classes, arsenals, etc.

With cross-buy, if I buy this on Xbox I get a PC copy, right?

Yes, buy it for one platform and you get it for both. It's a play anywhere title, so your game save works across platforms as well.

So while it's not a remake or a remaster, because it's still using the original game's assets, it's going to look better because of the higher resolution and uncompressed textures, and it's going to have support for modern Xbox Live features as well. And it's definitely not just a disc image thrown into a wrapper.

But it's still pretty impressive, from a technical standpoint, that they found a team capable of handling all of this.

I think it's a remaster if you think of how movies and music gets remastered: original assets cleaned up to be presented as nice as possible today.

Top Bottom