• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[Polygon] Mario Kart 8 likely to be the worst-selling game in... what is that chart

Status
Not open for further replies.
S8KxkJs.png
Love it

beril

Even ignoring the crazy charts and chartzzz numbers the article is stupid. Interpolating sales based on install base and attach rate is silly and never works, and their predicted result is lol worthy.

Does anyone really think Mario Kart will sell less than Wii Party U, and only 40k more than Wind Waker HD?

Kureransu

Oh, man, just noticed this bit at the end.

"Mario Kart games are far more than the sum of their sales data, of course. In our research, we also corralled information about what lies inside of each game. Check out the chart below to see the racing franchise's changing cast of characters, cups and courses. "

grouped_bar_chartayj8b.jpg

This is an article about sales. There is literally no reason for this chart to be here.

Looks like they made an edit. It originally said that MK8 had 8 cups and 28 tracks, which is what lead me to believe they rushed to get that story out along with the review.

nynt9

Seriously, the research in this article is bad, based on dubious sources, the charts are meaningless, frivolous and poorly conceived, the conclusions drawn from the data are not what the data suggests and the methodology is nonexistent.

This article is dogshit
like the website it is on

You guys are such nazis. Wanting to ban everything.

They used a banned website (chartz) as the main resource for their article.

beril

O O Wait a second. Are Polygon predicting that MK8 is going to sell only 1.26 Millions?

Yes. Somehow that ridiculous prediction has been mostly overlooked because of the general incompetence in the article, but that's worth another few pages of laughs in its own

How could MK be bundled and sell less than what 3DW has ALREADY sold?

Are they thinking?

Nope. They've completely ignored the fact that given the small user base of the Wii U that AAA first party exclusives are going to have much better attach rates than 'average'.

It will still likely be the worst selling game in the series, but their prediction is terrible. They started with unreliable data from ********, and then made a very dumb extrapolation based on it.

Principate

Saint Titanfall
Yes. Somehow that ridiculous prediction has been mostly overlooked because of the general incompetence in the article, but that's worth another few pages of laughs in its own

I think it's because the editor has bigger problems than incompetent data analysis skills.

Mael

I'm of 2 minds about banning Polygon,
on 1 side it would improve my health and prevent precious brain cells from being on suicide watch
on the other hand we'd miss hilarious stuffs like that...

I think it's because the editor has bigger problems than incompetent data analyses skills.

It's really the gift that keeps on giving...

on 1 side it would improve my health and prevent precious brain cells from being on suicide watch

Nah, it'll just be referred to as the gon that polys.

I think it's better (to ban the site) for our mental health. We will all end up as laughing idiots if they keep this up.

Mory Dunz

I'm not completely sure about the rest of the world, but if MK opens in japan at around 400,000 (not bundled there I believe), then it may be breaking 1 million within a week or two WW.

Not to talk of LTD.

gngf123

I'm not completely sure about the rest of the world, but if MK opens in japan at around 400,000 (not bundled there I believe), then it may be breaking 1 million within a week or two WW.

Not to talk of LTD.

I would be very surprised if it gets a 400k opening week in Japan. Hopefully though.

Sixfortyfive

He who pursues two rabbits gets two rabbits.
Polygon has been a complete joke for some time, wanting a ban on it I think is pretty reasonable.

Not to mention that they use sources that are already banned on here.
Or thread creators could just self-select what they post on GAF. No merit in the article? Then why post it? All that does is accomplish the goal of the clickbait in the first place.

I would say that I'm disappointed that the thread on Polygon's wonderful Street Fighter 2 retrospective, complete with staff interviews and a lot of interesting perspectives from all kinds of people involved with early 90s Capcom, got a staggering 94 total posts on this forum, while this outrage of the day clickbait nonsense is just all the rage. But in order to be disappointed I'd also have to be surprised. Much more interesting to take potshots at low-hanging fruit like Kuchera, I guess.

That's pretty much the state of discussion I see here lately. Can hardly find substantive conversation anywhere outside of dedicated community megathreads anymore. Anywhere else, it just gets drowned out by pixel counting threads, console wars, and review outrage for games of which people have already made up their minds during pre-release.

EDIT: Just to be clear on this, I'm not complaining that this thread exists. I just think that if you think this article is drivel that shouldn't be posted, or even not be allowed to be posted, then people could just not post it and instead focus on highlighting more positive content in the first place.

Mael

Or thread creators could just self-select what they post on GAF. No merit in the article? Then why post it?

I would say that I'm disappointed that the thread on Polygon's wonderful Street Fighter 2 retrospective, complete with staff interviews and a lot of interesting perspectives from all kinds of people involved with early 90s Capcom, got a staggering 94 total posts on this forum, while this outrage of the day clickbait nonsense is just all the rage. But in order to be disappointed I'd also have to be surprised.

That's the state of discussion on NeoGAF for you. Can hardly find substantive discussion anywhere outside of dedicated community megathreads anymore, as it just gets drowned out by pixel counting threads, console wars, and review outrage for games of which people have already made up their minds during pre-release.
That's a lot of words to say : why does this thread exists?
In your ardor to defend Kuchera's slighted honor you forgot 1 little point.
No one is raging on Polygon because they made a dooooooooomed article on WiiU.
One staple of gaf really is the comedy that permeate the whole biz, and this article, sir, is the pinnacle of comedy gold.
Seriously the chart alone is material enough for a lengthy discussion.
If you hate this thread so much and are not happy with how another thread is not getting any love, you should be bumping that thread and not come whining here.
And really thread whining is not something I'd do if I valued my account...

beril

Honestly I think it has a decent chance to beat Super Circuit though.

If NSMB can reach 4 million on that install base and 3D World reach 2M in 6 months, Mario Kart can probably reach 5-6 million eventually. Nintendo will be pushing this for years. It also helps that the hype seems to be way higher than normal. I can't even remember the last time a Nintendo game had an overwhelmingly positive reception like this on GAF all the way from reveal right up to launch. I really didn't expect that from a Mario Kart game, so it will be interesting to how it's received by the general public.

Sakujou

Banned
Obvious troll is obvious.

I will still dip day fucking one. Already pre ordered the limited edition. Gawd, iam so hyped for mario kart.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom