• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[Polygon] Mario Kart 8 likely to be the worst-selling game in... what is that chart

Status
Not open for further replies.

MilesTeg

Banned
Way I see it is it's likely MK8 will be bundled for the remainder of the Wii U's life span. Or at least it should be. 5 million isn't out of the question if that is the main Wii U SKU from here on out.

5 million isn't out of the question if that is the main Wii U SKU from here on out.
Going by their science, 1/3 of Wii owners bought Mario Kart Wii. If 1/3 of Wii U owners get MK8 by the end of its LTD, then it will outsell Super Circuit. The chart makes zero sense considering software has nothing to do with if a game will sell or not. Plus there will be more motivation to buy MK8 since you get a free game. The attach rate of MK8 will easily be 50% to 60% due to this.

S8KxkJs.png

jacknicholson.gif

I think I'm going to start making worthless infographics as a hobby, this is too good

I would literally be fired if I made a chart like that.

I would no longer have a job, if I did what he got paid to do.

Shit is laughable. Graphs aren't hard bro. It's just taking up space on the internet saying NOTHING

Principate

Saint Titanfall
They gave the game a 9/10 review, even Kuchera tweeted as such when criticism started pouring in.

There isn't anything particularly anti-Nintendo in regards to the content of the article (aside from the normal stuff seen the industry). It's the fact that whatever his point was he was completely incompetent in a putting it across at almost every level to the degree that even a high school student could it do better.

We're not mocking he's stance on the subject or Polygon as a whole, we're mocking his total lack of basic competence expected of a news editor.

Assuming you are North America, the $200 refurbished unit from Nintendo is probably your best bet. If they do drop the price this year it probably won't be more than $50. I actually expect a price drop at E3 for the standard package. MK8 bundle will probably remain the same price, it is that bundle's existence that actually makes me think a price drop could happen considering what a ridiculous value it is - deluxe console, two games, Wii remote + wheel for $20 more than the standard system? Okay.
I live in the UK :p But I appreciate the effort. :p

There isn't anything particularly anti-Nintendo in regards to the content of the article (aside from the normal stuff seen the industry). It's the fact that whatever his point was he was completely incompetent in a putting it across at almost every level to the degree that even a high school student could it do better.

We're not mocking he's stance on the subject or Polygon as a whole, we're mocking his total lack of basic competence expected of a news editor.

I know that, I was just addressing his particular comment of "damage control." That new Polygon tweet he linked to is legitimately in line with Polygon's opinion of the game.

DeaviL

Banned
At least attachment rate is gonna be goooood,
The free game deal is pretty awesome.

I could say how stupid that chart is but... yeah, no need to beat the pulverized horse.
But hell they deserved it.

If Knack outsold 3DW, I wonder if Sega Transformed will outsell MK8

Of course it will. It's on like every platform including Wii U and I just bought it along with almost every other Sonic game on Steam for less than $10. Even if Wii U was doing gangbusters I doubt a single platform exclusive would outsell that. Oh yeah also nintendo doomed

I'm buying the limited edition with the blue shell statue.

It will shift units and Nintendo will advertise this until their blue in the face.

The WiiU doesn't have much else in the way of big games (Bayo 2 and X are quite niche) coming out apart from this and the fighting one (I'm sorry I can't remember it's actual name just brawl) so Nintendo need to hammer home this game and it looks amazing, and shows that despite lesser hardware Nintendo know how to make a great game.

Going by their science, 1/3 of Wii owners bought Mario Kart Wii. If 1/3 of Wii U owners get MK8 by the end of its LTD, then it will outsell Super Circuit. The chart makes zero sense considering software has nothing to do with if a game will sell or not. Plus there will be more motivation to buy MK8 since you get a free game. The attach rate of MK8 will easily be 50% to 60% due to this.

So you think the Wii U will hit 18 million in the end?
ok

beril

Of course it will. It's on like every platform including Wii U and I just bought it along with almost every other Sonic game on Steam for less than $10. Even if Wii U was doing gangbusters I doubt a single platform exclusive would outsell that. Oh yeah also nintendo doomed

No it won't.
Being on a ton of platforms doesn't make a game automatically sell gangbusters. Sonic All Stars sold 1.36M by march 2013, and wasn't mentioned in this years financial report so I doubt it's number has increased that much

Arkam

Can't wait until they are proven wrong.
We the people can make that happen.

See you online 5/30/2014

Dizzy

Banned
Does it matter? this just seems like a way to piss on one of the few positive things for Wii U.

What kind of website creates articles predicting how poorly they're expecting a game to sell?

DedValve

Banned
I'd fire even an intern for that.

Automatic F grade on any paper that has this. I mean...what the hell does this chart even mean or is supposed to be? Mario Kart wasn't even on the NES so this is literally just a minute excel job that made zero sense for the sake of maximum laziness.

beril

fun fact, when Mario Kart Wii launched the install base was at 24M, when Mario Kart DS launched the DS was at about 10M, and when MK7 launched the 3DS was at also about 10M,

so they've all pretty much sold more than their consoles install base at the time of launch

injurai

Banned
Actually they have an install base of 6.1 million users, and are forecasting to have an installed base of 9.7 million by the end of the year.

So, you are wrong. :)

Now, if you had said they have a small and slowly growing install base, then yes you would be correct.

okay now...

it's still stunting them from running themselves as a successful 1st party publisher. They have so much to offer but without a larger install base the really can't pull down software sales. They had always been more on the hardware side but that is now woefully struggling. Maybe they shouldn't give up on the WiiU but they really need to handle things drastically different when their 9th gen systems roll out.

So you think the Wii U will hit 18 million in the end?
ok

Who says the attach rate will be 1/3? I am betting at least 1/2 and I predict around 15 million LTD for Wii U. Honestly though, Wii U 18 million LTD is not that unreasonable considering Gamecube hit 20. It may take a redesign like the PS3 did.

All in all though, I am expecting 7 million sales. Even if Wii U only gets 10 million LTD, I expect the attach rate to be high due to the free game offer.

Lernaean

Banned

Agreed, the WiiU userbase is comprised mostly of core Nintendo crowd, so most likely MK8 will have a better attach rate than 1/3

prag16

Banned
Agreed, the WiiU userbase is comprised mostly of core Nintendo crowd, so most likely MK8 will have a better attach rate than 1/3

I agree. Half might be a lot to ask, but it should be close to that neighborhood at the very least when all is said and done.

conweller

Neo Member
I laugh at Polygon a lot, but also had an equal amount of respect for a lot of the in depth reporting that they do.

Unfortunately, no more. That stinking pie chart is one of the largest lapses of editorial oversight/integrity that I've seen on a major video game website.

You have to take the good with the bad, but something that clearly stupid taints everything around it.

At best it shows that they are willing to publish an article with pie charts when they don't know how pie charts work. At worst they are willing to publish something that stupid, innacurrate, and misleading because they want the clicks.

Polygon, if you are willing to compromise your journalistic integrity for some clicks there are far better and more effective ways to do so.

May I suggest "Top 10 reasons why Obama is ruining America while Beyonce and Jay-Z feud, and what that means for the next Call of Duty."

So many clicks.

I laugh at Polygon a lot, but also had an equal amount of respect for a lot of the in depth reporting that they do.

Unfortunately, no more. That stinking pie chart is one of the largest lapses of editorial oversight/integrity that I've seen on a major video game website.

You have to take the good with the bad, but something that clearly stupid taints everything around it.

At best it shows that they are willing to publish an article with pie charts when they don't know how pie charts work. At worst they are willing to publish something that stupid, innacurrate, and misleading because they want the clicks.

I agree. I have been giving them the benefit of the doubt lately, heck, even enjoying some of their stuff, but this is something else.

Tripon

The funny thing is because Mario Kart games are usually among the highest selling games on each Nintendo system, Polygon could have just gone to Nintendo's financials site, and get the numbers from there.

There was no reason to use Chartz.

Also, doesn't Polygon have access to NPD numbers? Why the heck did they go for Chartz other than convenience?

I really do not get this.

Mengy

wishes it were bannable to say mean things about Marvel
okay now...

it's still stunting them from running themselves as a successful 1st party publisher. They have so much to offer but without a larger install base the really can't pull down software sales. They had always been more on the hardware side but that is now woefully struggling. Maybe they shouldn't give up on the WiiU but they really need to handle things drastically different when their 9th gen systems roll out.

Now that I think we all can agree on. I'd be willing to bet pretty much 95% of NeoGAF would agree to that statement!!!

RiggyRob

I hope this thread stays in the GAF archives so we can refer to it whenever Kuchera says something stupid again (and he will, let's face it).

Tripon

I don't really understand how the Verge can be such a good website with interesting, and compelling articles to read and Polygon being so consistently bad at their jobs.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom