• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Polygon: Nintendo can give fans an amazing gift by slowly killing the 3DS

Meh I think it's perfectly normal to continue to release games for the 3DS given the install base but I think every game that comes out there should also come to Switch from Nintendo. That's what I think is a bit ridiculous but whatever.

Moondrop

Banned
I love that people keep begging for this nonsense. Uh huh, Nintendo burning money they could make over the next 2-3 years is in their long-term economic interests. Also not sure how this is a gift to fans who only own 2DS or 3DS.

What constituency is this ridiculous proposition even designed to help- video game reviewers?

Link1110

DS was supposed to be a 3td system until it started selling really well. They're waiting to if Switch does the same thing. Just enjoy the games on both systems

I mean, i agree that 3ds should go away and nintendo should focus their dev efforts on switch, but that 1st paragraph was backwards as hell.

Since when more choice is bad? 3ds shouldnt go away cuz it gives people more choice, it should go away cuz it takes choice AWAY from switch, more games for 3ds means less games for switch, less choice..

DR2K

Banned
3DS still got enough support to make Switch owners beg for ports in every. fucking. thread.

3DS has a ton of life left in it until it has a true successor that can satisfy everything it can do as a handheld comes along.

Which I'm sure will be a smaller device that plays Switch software.

Kickz

3DS still got enough support to make Switch owners beg for ports in every. fucking. thread.

3DS has a ton of life left in it until it has a true successor that can satisfy everything it can do as a handheld comes along.

Which I'm sure will be a smaller device that plays Switch software.

Never gonna happen, Switch is its successor, just look at Pokemon being done by GameFreak

Mcdohl

Why? Can't you just make sub hd games that upscale when the switch is in tv mode?

Can they? Yes.

Do you think the mainstream consumer will find that acceptable?

Keep in mind you have games like The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild, Mario Kart 8 Deluxe, and Super Mario Odyssey on the same system.

The expectations for games on the switch are very high compared to their portable counterparts.

Just look at the upcoming games: Xenoblade 2, Yoshi, Kirby...etc. They all look like console games.

I know many of you don't care, but some of us are really fond of handheld games. They have a special charm, and their limitations and lower expectations allows for crazier stuff. Spinoffs and whatnot are more than welcome here.

This is about to end.

Handheld experiences will be downgraded to downloadable only titles and will slowly fade to oblivion.

jroc74

Phone reception is more important to me than human rights
Never gonna happen, Switch is its successor, just look at Pokemon being done by GameFreak

I still dont get why some ppl dont think its a successor or true successor....

Its a hybrid that one of the functions...the main function....is as a handheld...

UltimaKilo

Gold Member
Jeez, I'm sure glad Polygon (and some in this thread) aren't running my business.

The 3DS won't be replaced 1. until it stops selling, 2. Switch installbase is at least a big chunk of what the 3DS has.

Until then, Nintendo will, and should, support the 3DS robustly. Might it cost the Switch some games? Maybe, but doubtful. But even if it were, it's still not an excuse to stop selling a product and games that must have incredible margins.

Nonetheless, the 3DS is still the platform that will receive the updated Radiant Historia, and that's awesome.

I would be happy if SquareEnix would finally announce FFV remake on 3DS but save FFVI for Switch.

Top Bottom