• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Polygon: Nintendo can give fans an amazing gift by slowly killing the 3DS

We spend a significant amount of time in our day deciding things. There’s an extensive amount of value — even though it’s counter-intuitive — in removing decisions. The easier you make it for someone to decide to buy something, and the easier you make that process, the better your fans are going to feel about their relationship with what you’re selling.

Which is why Nintendo should begin to phase out the 2DS and 3DS line of portables; it would be the best thing for the company in the long term and an amazing gift to fans. The amount of confusion around Nintendo’s now-complicated portable hardware lines and the Switch’s ability to operate as both a console and a portable makes the fact you have to buy two consoles to get all the best Nintendo games feel antiquated and unnecessary.

https://www.polygon.com/2017/6/28/1...ans-an-amazing-gift-by-slowly-killing-the-3ds

Zeel

My expectations of Nintendo killing off 3DS and moving all it's dev teams over to switch is precisely the reason why I put alot of faith in switch and am planning to get one soon.
I really hope they aren't going to cannibalize their library by letting the 3DS live on for too long.

Trace

Banned
As much as I agree that the 3DS needs to die, it's not going to happen until Switch sales reasonably make up for it, why kill your previous console just because your new one has been doing well for a few months since launch? Especially when the 3DS still has new games coming down the pipe.

Personally hoping from 2018 onwards they move all their dev teams to the Switch.

Gaspard

How about no. I really like that the system i've had for five years is still thriving.

Also a Switch owner here.

Kyoufu

Why kill a product that you can readily supply to kids who want their Pokemon fix? It's not like 3DS is eating into Switch sales.

redcrayon

What would really help is if they focused almost entirely on the Switch for their advertising, press releases, Nintendo Directs and E3 demonstrations, as if their latest hardware and it's games was clearly significantly more important than the latest 3DS model. Wait, don't they do that already?

It seems pretty obvious to me that the 3DS line is being phased out when the vast majority of the games dev budget is on Switch now, just not fast enough for some people. Nintendo's logic that cheap, entry-level devices have a place alongside their new premium one for now (despite them both being portables of one sort or another) seems far more logical in terms of financial stability than the 'all eggs in one basket, as soon as possible!' approach.

Maximo

Would be suicide if they did the Switch ain't exactly easy to buy right now while the 3DS continues to sell well.

Rappy

The 3DS doesn't even need to be killed as much as I want it to be because of the current reality. Why not have more of those 3DS exclusives launching post Switch have Switch versions like Fire Emblem Warriors?

3DS isn't dying until they can make enough Switches to meet demand. With that said, I imagine the last Nintendo developed/published 3DS game will probably released late next year. MAYBE the year after, but I doubt it'll be anything big

Htown

STOP SHITTING ON MY MOTHER'S HEADSTONE
Nintendo can give its fans an amazing gift by... not supporting the game system they sold them, I guess?

This sounds real dumb, who wrote this?

OH OF COURSE, BEN FUCKING KUCHERA, WHO ELSE?

Busaiku

3DS sales have been up, so why would they discontinue it when producing more Switch systems is out of their control.

Why kill a product that you can readily supply to kids who want their Pokemon fix? It's not like 3DS is eating into Switch sales.

Competing with yourself in a market segment rather than having a unified product line is bad business.

What is confusing about the 3ds family? It continues to sell so..

3DS
3DS XL
New 3DS
New 3DS XL
2DS
2DS XL

The 3DS can play DS and 3DS games, but not New 3DS games, the New 3DS can play all -DS games currently, as can the 2DS XL, but not the regular 2DS which can only do DS and 3DS games. Simple right?

Alchemy

I mean the intent is probably to finish up the projects they have for the 3DS, slowly phase out all the hardware SKUs being released to the 2DS XL, and just let it coast while they work on bringing the Switches price down to be a more affordable portable. Theres really no reason to kill off the 3DS line while the Switch is so expensive.

Jamie OD

The 2/3DS is now being positioned on the market as the Kid's First Gaming Device. Why in the Hell should Nintendo get rid of that?

SirNinja

This will only be a remotely good idea once there are enough Switches to meet demand. There aren't. And there probably won't be for a while.

Competing with yourself in a market segment rather than having a unified product line is bad business.

3DS
3DS XL
New 3DS
New 3DS XL
2DS
2DS XL

The 3DS can play DS and 3DS games, but not New 3DS games, the New 3DS can play all -DS games currently, as can the 2DS XL, but not the regular 2DS which can only do DS and 3DS games. Simple right?
There's only 1 New 3DS exclusive game, and the next one isn't even being released till Fall.

rjc571

Banned
Time for a Polygon Chart™

Hy7RmRG.png

I really don't get the hurry to kill off the 3DS, especially when the Switch is not super readily available yet. To be honest, I could see it sticking around in some form or another until the Switch gets its price dropped, which will probably take a good while.

There's only 1 New 3DS exclusive game, and the next one isn't even being released till Fall.

I traded in my New 3DS XL a few months back and haven't really been following it, but I can understand why it's a bit confusing since they have 3DS/2DS, New 3DS/2DS XL split up with a inconsistent naming scheme.

oatmeal

Banned
I'm with them. Fuck 3DS - Switch is the new thing. Fine, release games on the 3DS still, but port them day and date with the Switch. Metroid 2D? FUck yeah...

Oh 3DS only?

Guess I'll never play it. Yay.

Sadist

Hey guys that thing you love? We are ending it. Why? Because its such an amazing gift from us to you

Uh huh. Makes sense Polygon.

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
3DS is the only system right now with access to the whole 3DS, 3DS eShop, Nintendo DS Libary and glasses free 3D.

Why the hell would they kill a system that is making them money and has an audience ?

LotusHD

Banned
I really don't get the hurry to kill off the 3DS, especially when the Switch is not super readily available yet. To be honest, I could see it sticking around in some form or another until the Switch gets its price dropped, which will probably take a good while.

People really don't bother to read the article lol

Devil

They'll only consider doing so once the Switch hits $250 or less.

I own both and would also be very happy if the support for 3DS slowly migrates to Switch but from a business standpoint I can see why they would wait a little longer.

Withnail

I guess Microsoft should kill the One S so people don't have to choose between it and the One X.

Polygon gonna Polygon 🤔

Busaiku

They said multiple times that it does not need to happen in the immediate future...
I mean so they honestly expect Nintendo to keep supporting 3DS after they can produce more Switch systems and/or lower costs.
The next Pokémon game after Ultra Sun and Ultra Moon is coming to Switch, not 3DS.

What's even the point of the article then.

Top Bottom