• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Polygon: Nintendo can give fans an amazing gift by slowly killing the 3DS

Atheerios

Quick reminder

nintendo_annual_revenue.jpg

https://mynintendonews.com/2017/06/...ounts-for-more-than-50-of-nintendos-business/

ZeoVGM

Banned
For 2019.

For 2019.

Making up things doesn't help your argument.

I really don't get how hard it is for some folks to understand that it isn't unreasonable for people to want Nintendo to focus on their new system.

That's what they're doing! They are FOCUSING on the Switch while MILDLY supporting their current system that is still selling. That's what the smart business decision is.

There is zero reason for Samus Returns to not get a downloadable release for Switch.

Of course there is: it requires more time, money and resources. It's amazing how many of you guys seem to think there is some magic button that developers can push to make this happen.

Will the money put into two versions be worth it for Nintendo? What about the man power at the developer?

And clearly, it would not be just a straight port. Fans would expect a game that looks better than it does on 3DS, obviously. That also takes effort and resources.

Do people forget Nintendo supported the NES until 1994? Like with quality games too? Are people salty that Mega Man 4-6, StarTropics 2, Kirby's Adventure etc. aren't on SNES?

redcrayon

And clearly, it would not be just a straight port. Fans would expect a game that looks better than it does on 3DS, obviously. That also takes effort and resources.
I think what Nintendo are doing is that, for Metroid, Fire Emblem, Pikmin etc, they are quite happy for the 3DS to have cheap 2D games and remakes at end-of-life to keep it ticking over while the longer dev time on Switch games kicks in. For people's first look at those franchises on the Switch, they want people to see something genuinely new, rather than flood it with games they can also play elsewhere.

Fredrik

Just no. I honestly don't see Switch as a portable. It's huge. I'm hoping for a smaller clamshell portable when they finally kill the 3DS, killing off the 3DS before there is a true successor would mean that there is no true portable around. It would probably drive more people toward mobile gaming than toward Switch.

Remk

They are already killing it slowly, just compare the number of titles shown for each platform at E3.

I get the fascination of everything releasing on the new console but this is not a reasonable request under any metric

Portugeezer

I'm still waiting for the dream scenario in which Nintendo developers don't have to pick between two platforms... Looks like that will take another 2 years.

LotusHD

Banned
Just no. I honestly don't see Switch as a portable. It's huge. I'm hoping for a smaller clamshell portable when they finally kill the 3DS, killing off the 3DS before there is a true successor would mean that there is no true portable around. It would probably drive more people toward mobile gaming than toward Switch.

You'll maybe get a smaller Switch one day, but something entirely new? Nah.

Atheerios

Pokémon confirms Switch is the 3DS successor.

Chauzu

Do you have exact measurements that are required to be a portable device?

Switch is not as big as it looks like. If you carry smaller bags like me, the fact that Switch is less "fat" than 3DS helps a lot with fitting it, espescially since I personally have to use a grip for 3DS. You can also detach joycons to decrease size further.

Still, I hope they do a more pocketable version for people like you, but considering that current Switch is mostly battery (and not any cheap throwaway battery), battery life will definately be a concern for any smaller version.

Plum

I'm still waiting for the dream scenario in which Nintendo developers don't have to pick between two platforms... Looks like that will take another 2 years.

There isn't a single major 1st or 2nd Party Nintendo developer who isn't making something for the Switch.

I think it'd be fairly smart of them to release a "Switch Mini" around, say, holiday 2018 that has a roughly 4.5" screen and doesn't come with a dock, but otherwise has the same internal guts as the Switch and maybe improves on the current battery life by about 1 hour. Sell it for maybe $179.99 and pair it with a price drop on the regular Switch and I think they'd have a pretty successful holiday next year. It would be more useful than the usual slimmed down revisions of console life cycles because it would actually make the Switch a fully portable system that you can stick in your pocket and go, and the lack of a dock + smaller screen should pretty easily allow for that lower price point.

oti

Banned
I think it'd be fairly smart of them to release a "Switch Mini" around, say, holiday 2018 that has a roughly 4.5" screen and doesn't come with a dock, but otherwise has the same internal guts as the Switch and maybe improves on the current battery life by about 1 hour. Sell it for maybe $179.99 and pair it with a price drop on the regular Switch and I think they'd have a pretty successful holiday next year. It would be more useful than the usual slimmed down revisions of console life cycles because it would actually make the Switch a fully portable system that you can stick in your pocket and go, and the lack of a dock + smaller screen should pretty easily allow for that lower price point.

Or they keep around the 3DS. How about that?

redcrayon

the Switch provides an opportunity to provide all its biggest games to fans who only buy one console. The company should take it.

This isn’t a decision Nintendo needs to make soon, since the price difference between the Switch and the portable family of systems is one of the things that currently helps the argument to keep both, but it’s the direction Nintendo should move.
I really don't see the point of this article. Nintendo are clearly phasing out the 3DS over time with their developers having shifted en-masse over to Switch already, Kuchera admits that this is something they don't need to do immediately (hence the last few outsourced 3DS products and a cheap hardware revision), and then says it's the direction they should move in.

It's like he's observing what they are doing, then suggesting that, in the future, they should decide to do that. Bizarre.

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
People really want a entry level handheld for children to be removed to feel better about their big boy Toy lol.

I could understand it if Switch first Party lineup was lacking...but come on.

Markitron

Is currently staging a hunger strike outside Gearbox HQ while trying to hate them to death
I agree with them, mostly because I wish Metroid was a Switch game

Flandy

I don't get why they can't do cross gen at least. At the start of this generation devs were constantly pushing out cross gen titles but Nintendo can't do it for their brand new piece of hardware?

I own a N3DS but I've never liked using it much so I'll be skipping 3ds games this year. Refuse to go back after using the switch.

I feel like the Big handheld brands like Pokemon, Fire Emblem, and Animal Crossing will get both Switch and 3DS versions for a bit. People will be pissed when something from these games is limited because of the 3DS version like what happened with Smash Brothers. 3DS will get hated on from here on out.

Chauzu

I'm also trying to envision the first party 3DS line-up for 2018.

2017 is almost only outsourced low effort spin-offs and remakes and I don't imagine this changing for the better, looking at it from the perspective of a 3DS only owner.

I love the use of the word disowned here.

"Don't you have a 3DS?"

"I HAVE NO 3DS!"

"But it's right there..."

"IT IS DEAD TO ME."

Nothing wrong with jumping ship when an obviously superior product has been released. I personally prefer to just keep one portable on me (if any) and letting the old one go here is the easy choice.

I think people are missing that

1. The 3DS still makes up an enormous chunk of their revenue. Killing it would be super dumb while it's still making so much money.
2. Unless Retro is being weird, a grand total of zero internal teams are working on 3DS games right now. It's being supported by partners and 3rd parties.
3. The 3DS is being positioned as their budget/feature product line. Its value is in its price point and extensive back catalog. It has little overlap with Switch.

Or they keep around the 3DS. How about that?

I'm not arguing in favor of killing off the 3DS immediately (that would be dumb and opposite of pretty much every console life cycle ever) but I think in about a year and a half (holiday 2018) it will be natural, as a matter of the Switch becoming cheaper and it being more technologically feasible to produce a Switch Mini, to fully replace the 3DS.

I agree that it makes sense to slowly kill off support for the 3DS rather than bury it immediately, but at the timeline I'm suggesting it really won't make much sense to continue supporting it that late in the game. I would be genuinely amazed if the 3DS was getting more than the occasional bone by the time November 2018 rolls around.

ZeoVGM

Banned
I think what Nintendo are doing is that, for Metroid, Fire Emblem, Pikmin etc, they are quite happy for the 3DS to have cheap 2D games and remakes at end-of-life to keep it ticking over while the longer dev time on Switch games kicks in. For people's first look at those franchises on the Switch, they want people to see something genuinely new, rather than flood it with games they can also play elsewhere.

This as well.

Truthfully, guys, does anyone really think Samus Returns would even exist if not for the 3DS still selling? They would just announce Prime 4 and be done with it.

spelen

Unfortunately untill Nintendo produces enough switch units to match demand it makes little sense for them to kill off the cash cow.

oti

Banned
I'm not arguing in favor of killing off the 3DS immediately (that would be dumb and opposite of pretty much every console life cycle ever) but I think in about a year and a half (holiday 2018) it will be natural, as a matter of the Switch becoming cheaper and it being more technologically feasible to produce a Switch Mini, to fully replace the 3DS.

I agree that it makes sense to slowly kill off support for the 3DS rather than bury it immediately, but at the timeline I'm suggesting it really won't make much sense to continue supporting it that late in the game. I would be genuinely amazed if the 3DS was getting more than the occasional bone by the time November 2018 rolls around.
Seeing how Switch is sold out for the next 10 to 12 months presumably at the price point of 330 I don't see why they would lower the price or offer a cheaper, mobile only, model. Why would they give up revenue just like that when there's no reason to do so?

How are they wrong?

Is there anyone who’s seriously happy that Metroid game is coming out on 3DS?
There are more people who own a 3DS than people who own a Switch. Those people are happy.

It's not rocket science.

Markitron

Is currently staging a hunger strike outside Gearbox HQ while trying to hate them to death
You agree based on feelings, not on facts. A company doesn't make decision based on feelings.

Well yea, I'm not Nintendo, what am I supposed to do?

aznpxdd

I don't have a problem with them continually to support 3DS due to obvious business reasons, but I don't get why they can't just release slightly upgraded versions onto Switch at the same time? (ie. new Metroid game)

Its not like they should be worried about Switch eating into 3DS' sales, or I mean, isn't that the transition they want to happen...people slowly migrate from 3DS to Switch.

I don't have a problem with them continually to support 3DS due to obvious business reasons, but I don't get why they can't just release slightly upgraded versions onto Switch at the same time? (ie. new Metroid game)

Its not like they should be worried about Switch eating into 3DS' sales, or I mean, isn't that the transition they want to happen...people slowly migrate from 3DS to Switch.

Ask the company that's making it.

Seeing how Switch is sold out for the next 10 to 12 months presumably at the price point of 330 I don't see why they would lower the price or offer a cheaper, mobile only, model. Why would they give up revenue just like that when there's no reason to do so?

I can agree that the Switch will probably be very hard to find through the holidays and likely January next year as people spend gift cards/Christmas money, but I don't see any strong argument to be made that it will continue to be sold out beyond that. Also the price is $300, not $330 unless you're referring to a price outside the US.

ArtHands

Thinks buying more servers can fix a bad patch
If the system is still selling successfully, which indicates that the market still wants it, why kill it? How about no.

Especially when they still can't manage the Nintendo Switch supplies.

oti

Banned
Well yea, I'm not Nintendo, what am I supposed to do?
Heh, sure. 😊
I think it's important though to look at the facts. And the facts are pretty clear here.

I think Nintendo is very keen on positioning Switch as a "Console on the go" and that uprezzed versions of 3DS games would undermine its uniqueness in that regard. Look at Yoshi and Kirby. They could've just uprezzed the 3DS games and instead they developed two completely new games for Switch.

Top Bottom