• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Polygon: Nintendo can give fans an amazing gift by slowly killing the 3DS

I'm excited for the game, I'd be about 10x happier if it wasn't on some ugly console I've mostly disowned.

On 3DS?

Such a waste.
Do you play anything that isn't on current hardware? What the fuck kind of post is this?

Actually, let me correct that. 3DS is current hardware - do you only play games on systems when it's ideal for you?

hidys

I agree. I am sick of playing video games on a 240p screen. I cannot wait for Nintendo to put 100% of their support towards the Switch.

Do you play anything that isn't on current hardware? What the fuck kind of post is this?

When new consoles come out I don't go back to old ones, no. Why would I?

Why would I want to play metroid on an ugly system with shitty resolution and an uncomfortable form? Why would that be my preference? I have a switch so of course I want metroid on switch. 3DS is a horrible system by comparison in every way. You can make a business argument for it, but I don't give a shit about Nintendo making money. It's a waste to me to have the game on 3DS

oti

Banned
I can agree that the Switch will probably be very hard to find through the holidays and likely January next year as people spend gift cards/Christmas money, but I don't see any strong argument to be made that it will continue to be sold out beyond that. Also the price is $300, not $330 unless you're referring to a price outside the US.

How's a new Pokémon game for an argument? Or a new AC game? 330 is the Euro price.

How about no. I really like that the system i've had for five years is still thriving.

Also a Switch owner here.

Exactly. I own a Switch as well and don't mind going back to the 3DS.

Some of us really don't mind the low resolution screens all that much and like the formfactor.

Just deal with Switch not getting 100% of Nintendo's attention in 2017 and let 3DS owners enjoy the last couple of games that are set to release for the platform.

Neoxon

The minute they announced Pokémon for the Switch, we knew that the 3DS wouldn't be around for much longer. Now we just let the system go out on a high note.

Try to explain to a parent the difference between a 3DS, New 3DS, and 2DS and you'll agree with this article when you have to tell how a 3DS game is compatible with a 2DS but not with a DS. Throw in the 3DS XL and 2DS XL lines and it's all the more complicated. Not that different of a brand problem than what WiiU and Wii had.

Haunted

Phrasing it that way is bullshit.

But as a Switch owner who is not satisfied with the power of the 3DS for a handheld in 2017, I'd obviously like to see Nintendo dropping it as quickly as possible and focusing all their attention and resources on Switch development instead.

Ban Puncher

0upKTPs.gif

Omikaru

As sympathetic as I am to wanting more Switch games, and seeing 3DS releases is frustrating, not everyone can afford a Switch, and even those who can can't necessarily find one.

I think they should continue to support the system for as long as the Switch is poorly-stocked and priced at over £200.

I won't lie, though: I find it really frustrating when a game is announced for 3DS that won't be on Switch, so at some point I would like to see every upcoming 3DS release also having a Switch version, even if it's just a barebones up-port.

I think its valid, Nintendo has a ton of early stage switch games and a few big games for 2018, only takes a few to be delyed for the switch to end of like wiiu with huge slumps between releases.

How's a new Pokémon game for an argument? Or a new AC game? 330 is the Euro price.

Ah, gotcha. And yes, I think those games will move a ton of units, but at the time those games release (I can't imagine any earlier than September 2018) Nintendo will be A) producing a good deal more Switches than they're able to now and B) have ample stock available by the time the games release. For reference, the PS4, Xbox One, Wii U, Xbox 360, PS3, PS2, Xbox and Gamecube all received price cuts less than two years after they were released, and in many cases less than one year after. So if holiday 2018 comes and goes without a Switch price cut it would be unusual, as it will have been out just a couple months shy of two years at that point.

SMD

When a media outlet publishes an article by someone calling themselves a games journalist advocates for a platform to stop getting the support, either that person is a shill or an idiot.

There's no way a journalist is looking out for their readers, consumers or fans by trying to argue for the abandonment of a viable platform.

Who's this for? Do they think they have the influence to encourage Nintendo to do this? Are they trying to convince their readers not to buy a 3DS or to give up on it?

It's just such a vacuous concept. I have a massive distaste for Polygon because their journalism barely qualifies and I don't want to give them any hits to encourage their blatant clickbait headlines.

Nintendo should be applauded for supporting the 3DS like Sony did with the PS3 when a successor was on the market. They should also be criticised for how support dried up for the Wii U and Wii. Nintendo are getting a lot right here but this is what should be expected.

They killed first party support and that's good, don't see why kill the system.

Yup, the only real argument to be made for killing it off immediately is that its taking resources from Switch development but I don't see much evidence (if any) that this is true. Looks like the 3DS is basically riding into the sunset at this point. Nintendo might make odd decisions at times, but they wouldn't combine their handheld/home console into one platform and then not take advantage of the entire reason for doing that.

oti

Banned
When a media outlet publishes an article by someone calling themselves a games journalist advocates for a platform to stop getting the support, either that person is a shill or an idiot.

There's no way a journalist is looking out for their readers, consumers or fans by trying to argue for the abandonment of a viable platform.

Who's this for? Do they think they have the influence to encourage Nintendo to do this? Are they trying to convince their readers not to buy a 3DS or to give up on it?

It's just such a vacuous concept. I have a massive distaste for Polygon because their journalism barely qualifies and I don't want to give them any hits to encourage their blatant clickbait headlines.

Nintendo should be applauded for supporting the 3DS like Sony did with the PS3 when a successor was on the market. They should also be criticised for how support dried up for the Wii U and Wii. Nintendo are getting a lot right here but this is what should be expected.
It's an opinion piece. Some people share this opinion. That's alright. What I find baffling is how you can turn three sentences into an entire article though.
Ah, gotcha. And yes, I think those games will move a ton of units, but at the time those games release (I can't imagine any earlier than September 2018) Nintendo will be A) producing a good deal more Switches than they're able to now and B) have ample stock available by the time the games release. For reference, the PS4, Xbox One, Wii U, Xbox 360, PS3, PS2, Xbox and Gamecube all received price cuts less than two years after they were released, and in many cases less than one year after. So if holiday 2018 comes and goes without a Switch price cut it would be unusual, as it will have been out just a couple months shy of two years at that point.
I could see a bundle happening with an indirect price cut. Something like 30 Euros. But Nintendo won't cut the price if there's no need.

The Switch has been out for 3 months. Phasing something that counts for half of Nintendo's business now would be bad for fans in the long run, where Nintendo takes a financial hit, and short run, where some fans can't yet afford a Switch but want to play Nintendo's releases or some Atlus games.

SMD

It's an opinion piece. Some people share this opinion. That's alright. What I find baffling is how you can turn three sentences into an entire article though.

Why is a games journalist advocating for anything other than the support of systems the majority of people still game on?

If a journalist is advocating either for a company or the advance of technology regardless of the market then that's a suspect individual for me.

Why is a games journalist advocating for anything other than the support of systems the majority of people still game on?

If a journalist is advocating either for a company or the advance of technology regardless of the market then that's a suspect individual for me.

If Nintendo announced Mario Odyssey was for 3DS do you think people would be happy?

oti

Banned

Some people want every game to be on Switch from now on. If that's Kuchera's opinion as well he's free to share it. What's the problem?

But don't worry. Nintendo doesn't care about what Polygon or any other outlet thinks anyway.

I think Ben's article is banal nonsense, but to be clear, he is not a journalist. What he's advocating are his own personal opinions, nothing else.

Gaogaogao

all they need to do is port all the same games to the switch, and people will chose switch (as soon as its actually in stock)

I could see a bundle happening with an indirect price cut. Something like 30 Euros. But Nintendo won't cut the price if there's no need.

Yeah, I would almost guarantee that there will at least be a bundled-in game at that point while still selling the system at launch price. I haven't bothered to verify, but I'm fairly confident that it would be completely unprecedented for a console to not have A) a bundled in game while maintaining the price or B) a price cut on the system that late into the life cycle. I was actually surprised looking into the timeline on some system's price cuts. The original Xbox price was dropped 33% not even 6 months after launching. In the UK, it apparently received a price cut 5 weeks post-launch.

ggx2ac

Try to explain to a parent the difference between a 3DS, New 3DS, and 2DS and you'll agree with this article when you have to tell how a 3DS game is compatible with a 2DS but not with a DS. Throw in the 3DS XL and 2DS XL lines and it's all the more complicated. Not that different of a brand problem than what WiiU and Wii had.

You mean SNES games won't work on my NES?

Damn you Nintendo!

ramparter

Banned
By the way I expect a 3DS successor in the next 2 years. Hopefully it will be 480p, region free and will pretty much use the same account system as Switch.

oti

Banned

The naming is bad. But I challenge you to go out and find a 3DS or a New 3DS at this point. Nintendo has been phasing them out for a reason.

By the way I expect a 3DS successor in the next 2 years. Hopefully it will be 480p, region free and will pretty much use the same account system as Switch.

I think what you're expecting is the Switch or, as I'm baselessly assuming, an eventual Switch Mini that has a smaller screen (still 720p) and doesn't include a dock but is otherwise identical.

ZeoVGM

Banned
If Nintendo announced Mario Odyssey was for 3DS do you think people would be happy?

You seem to ignore people in the thread explaining why you're wrong only so you can make ridiculous comparisons.

You understand why an outsourced Metroid game is not the same thing as the next 3D Mario. Don't be disingenuous.

If Prime 4 was announced for 3DS instead of Switch, then that would be a valid comparison.

SMD

But it isn't. And that's not the situation. Nintendo are still supporting a platform while putting resources into their latest and greatest. No ones saying that their current attitude is problematic. Metroid 2 Remake on 3DS is really not that big an issue, especially since they announced Metroid Prime 4.

Some people want every game to be on Switch from now on. If that's Kuchera's opinion as well he's free to share it. What's the problem?

But don't worry. Nintendo doesn't care about what Polygon or any other outlet thinks anyway.

I think Ben's article is banal nonsense, but to be clear, he is not a journalist. What he's advocating are his own personal opinions, nothing else.

It's even weirder then a self proclaimed news outlet is publishing something like this.

Samus Returns would have either looked like complete trash on the Switch, or would have required a level of work probably out of kilter with Nintendo's expectations. If you're making your first 2D Metroid in more than a decade, you probably don't want to be taking risks like that.

These expectations should have gone out of the window when a Pokémon RPG was announced for the Switch. There will be no separate 3DS successor.

all they need to do is port all the same games to the switch, and people will chose switch (as soon as its actually in stock)

Since this sentiment keeps getting posted, here's a list of currently in development games for 3DS:

Kirby's Blowout Blast - HAL
Hey! Pikmin - Azrest
Miitopia - Nintendo
Culdcept Revolt - NIS
Metroid: Samus Returns - MercurySteam
Layton's Mystery Journey - Level-5
Etrian Odyssey V - Atlus
Monster Hunter Stories - Capcom
Sushi Striker: Way of the Sushido - indieszero
Pokemon Ultra Sun/Moon - GameFreak
Radiant Historia: Perfect Chronology - Atlus
Shin Megami Tensei: Strange Journey Redux - Atlus

So Miitopia is the only one actually being made by Nintendo, and it finished development long ago. It's a late port of a game that has been out in Japan since last year. There is nothing for Nintendo to port to Switch because they are not developing anything for 3DS.

Aonuma

The "unified development stream" that was meant to be heralded in with the Switch certainly hasn't come to fruition yet at least. The 3DS is very old hardware any way you slice it and I don't think it's unreasonable for people to want it to be easier for them to get more original games for their new console. The only native (non-port) Switch-exclusive games I own are Snipperclips, Bomberman R and Kamiko thus far and I agree that more games along the lines of Super Mario Odyssey should be on their way more quickly than the current state of affairs.

Top Bottom