• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Polygon: Nintendo Switch will launch with fewer games than the Wii, Wii U or 3DS

Yeah the DS had a bad lineup but ended up with a godlike catalogue. The Switch shows no signs it will get anything near that level of third-party support.

FIFA is coming but it's gonna be a port of a version for a decade old console. That is embarrassing for a $300 piece of hardware. Skyrim is the 5+ year old version and definitely won't have mods but will still be full price. It's madness.

Hopefully the consolidation of Nintendo's console and handheld efforts means that there will be a deluge of first-party titles but right now it seems like it's been rushed to market.

Noitshado

I think their chess like marketing and market research strategy has more to do with how things are atm. I feel like their current strategy is to compartmentalize as stand alones by first introducing their product with core ideas, let it sink in for a while, gauge reaction, make changes if needed, go into more detail as it gets closer to launch, don't show your hand on other games until closer releases have launched and given chance to sell. No one is more vocal in forums and social media than those who are given answers that begs more questions and discussion. Perhaps they made partnerships with companies but aren't sure what games they want to make so they brought them on to gauge what games from said companies garners most interest and some far off games are announced because they are not fully set on the game's direction so it gives them time in development to change things based on market reaction and discussions? Overall everything feels more cautious, calculated and to me safe Nintendo is the worst Nintendo sigh.

Lol whut? Guarantee nearly everyone buying the Switch on day one are buying it for Zelda.

OK...but in the grand scheme of things it is not a huge ip...there are way many games that dwarf zelda, it is not even close to nintendos biggest franchise. Look up it's sales..... Zelda is not remotely enough to fill the gaps with that barren lineup.
Numbers are not nearly as important as quality. A 30 game launch is ridiculous and dumb. A well curated list of titles is much more important.

There is not enough quality software either...

man if a sony or xbox launched with one good game and a bunch of c level games the internet would be up in arms. There are also barly any games coming out. Man Nintendo needs to go away. Lucky they got the die hard Nintendo crowd who loves games that look like cartoons.

LaNaranja

man if a sony or xbox launched with one good game and a bunch of c level games the internet would be up in arms. There are also barly any games coming out. Man Nintendo needs to go away. Lucky they got the die hard Nintendo crowd who loves games that look like cartoons.

Who doesn't love games that look like cartoons?

Cuphead_E3_06-1024x576.jpg

It definitely looks like a pretty dire lineup. There are more PS4 games I'm interested in coming out in January than have been announced for all of 2017 for the Switch.

BizzyBum

The best was in Reggie's speech during the conference when he said "And boy, what games!" or something similar.

It's obvious what he meant but I swear that shit was almost intentional... lol

Hermii

What good game did Xbox one or PS4 launch with? Knack and Ryse?

Genio88

That's technically true...though it has the best version available of the GOTY 2017, that's enough to me for the first month/s until Mario Kart 8 Deluxe, Splatoon 2, Mario Odissey and Xenoblade 2 come out

Noitshado

What good game did Xbox one or PS4 launch with? Knack and Ryse?

Microsoft had other streams of income and Sony had the hot product. Nintendo has neither and is in a need to prove themselves situation all the while being set to cannibalize their secondary handheld stronghold. Im not so sure they can rely on avid Nintendo fans to ride out the storm. There is a real danger of many fans becoming more what I consider Nintendo enthusiasts who will just keep interest in the company but be non purchasers.

Are you so lonely that you need comments like this to get some attention?.. Wow.

I think their chess like marketing and market research strategy has more to do with how things are atm. I feel like their current strategy is to compartmentalize as stand alones by first introducing their product with core ideas, let it sink in for a while, gauge reaction, make changes if needed, go into more detail as it gets closer to launch, don't show your hand on other games until closer releases have launched and given chance to sell. No one is more vocal in forums and social media than those who are given answers that begs more questions and discussion. Perhaps they made partnerships with companies but aren't sure what games they want to make so they brought them on to gauge what games from said companies garners most interest and some far off games are announced because they are not fully set on the game's direction so it gives them time in development to change things based on market reaction and discussions? Overall everything feels more cautious, calculated and to me safe Nintendo is the worst Nintendo sigh.

This is a good and well thought out point. Sure there is some truth here. I have already said that I think the positive reveal of the Switch has made Nintendo overconfident.

takriel

Please tell me more about your beloved "gritty", "mature", "realistic" games on your divine Xbone or PS4.

Top Bottom