• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Polygon: Nintendo Switch will launch with fewer games than the Wii, Wii U or 3DS

Alongside The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild, a new collection of mini-games, 1-2-Switch, and third-party games Just Dance 2017 and Skylanders Imaginators are confirmed for launch day. Although the month will fill out the console’s launch lineup a little bit more — Snipperclips: Cut it Out, Together! and Has Been Heroes will be released in March — Nintendo fans were upset with what the company had to offer.

More in the link:
http://www.polygon.com/nintendo-switch/2017/1/13/14263186/nintendo-switch-lineup-wii-wiiu-3ds-comparison

HeeHo

It launching with Zelda, especially BotW, is what makes it seem so valuable to me at the moment. If it didn't have that, I don't think I would've pre-ordered it. BotW can definitely hold me over til something interesting comes out.

While it sucks, I'm pretty sure that the XB1 and the PS$ also launched with less games than their predecessors.

Games cost way more to develop now than before.

Considering how loaded these first few months are with games all across all systems, I'd be good with Zelda and Bomberman for a while. Persona 5 is out the month after launch.

lyrick

Pretty sure the Wii U [34 Titles in NA] launched with more titles than just about every other console aside from the Xbox One, so I'm not sure why this is worth even discussing.

It launches with Zelda. What more do you need?

That's really all I wanted. Yeah, it would have been amazing to launch with Zelda, Mario, Xenoblade, Mario Kart, Smash, Splatoon 2, etc all at launch, but it also wouldn't be super smart since they wouldn't have any upcoming games for a while. Although I do see this as more of a Wii U situation where it will have some truly amazing first party titles, but the release schedule will suck and we'll maybe get one "must have" game a year. I have a PS4 as well, so I don't mind THAT much (and have generally bought Nintendo consoles for Nintendo games anyways).

Mato

Zelda is enough for me. But the months following launch seem quiet empty. If they can keep up with the quality releases perhaps it won't be so bad.

Bummblue

Neo Member
I thought for sure they'd launch with their best WiiU games: Mario Kart, Smash Brothers, Splatoon, etc.

Would've given folks that never bought a WiiU a chance to get right back into the Nintendo magic from the jump.
No Hyperbole: Depending on how you look at it, this would've made for one of the greatest launch lineups in history.

Siege.exe

d82.png

I personally don't want Zelda, so I'll be waiting.

jeffers

Pretty sure the Wii U [34 Titles in NA] launched with more titles than just about every other console aside from the Xbox One, so I'm not sure why this is worth even discussing.

when you got a hot take, you gotta write it up before you really question the worth of the stat

EDarkness

I think most games are scheduled around the launch of Zelda to avoid conflicts, which is why there aren't many titles on launch day. Problem is...what if someone doesn't want Zelda? I guess they wait until something they want comes out....

I have a pre-order in, but I am damn disappointed with the lineup. My fear is I'm going to beat Zelda, get bored as it gathers dust, and sell all of it within the first month.

Mr-Joker

Banned
Polygon is jumping the gun as usual, E3 isn't that far from Switch launch date, plus there's Nintendo direct.

I bet you that 2017 holiday will brimming with Switch games.

Tis a Shame. Pretty much the only reason anyone would buy the system is for Zelda (so, I'm basically the poor sucker they're looking for). Thankfully for those folks, Zelda is probably going to last them until all the other games arrive.

Zelda is probably the best single launch game since Halo or Super Mario 64. But otherwise, the launch is weak and rally could have used a fun "secondary" game like a Wave Race, Pilotwings, etc. to help it feel more full.

The first thing coming down the line after Zelda is ARMS, which doesn't have a solid release beyond "Spring 2017" yet.

Neiteio

Really think Mario Kart 8 Deluxe and ARMS would'be been perfect at launch. Everyone who plays ARMS seems to love it. And everyone loves Mario Kart. I could set up a Switch at the office and sell a dozen people right away with it. Gonna be fun!

Really think Mario Kart 8 Deluxe and ARMS would'be been perfect at launch. Everyone who plays ARMS seems to love it. And everyone loves Mario Kart. I could set up a Switch at the office and sell a dozen people right away with it. Gonna be fun!
ARMS may not be finished but it's completely baffling to me that Mario Kart is a month after launch.

Snipperclips, ARMS, and either MK8DX or the inexplicably-not-announced-yet Smash 4 DX should all be launch titles.

They're simply expecting Zelda to carry far too much slack here.

Calm Mind

I bought each of those platforms at launch and I can tell you for a fact that they have nothing on the Switch' launch lineup. The distance between them is light years.

Launch line up is slim, but it's not a long wait for more major titles. If launch was slim and immediately followed by a drought, there'd be something to complain about but year 1 looks pretty good and is rather loaded with big titles. I think people are getting really whiny.

Top Bottom