• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Polygon: Nintendo Switch will launch with fewer games than the Wii, Wii U or 3DS

kraspkibble

Permabanned.
yep and that's exactly why i'm not buying it as much as i would love to play zelda. i'll wait until 2018 since it seems the 2017 games don't hold much promise. even the mario looks trash.

atr0cious

My hope is that Nintendo realizes that Zelda is gonna eat the mindshare of everything at launch, so giving it room is the plan. It's probably why Skyrim isn't at launch, waste of shelf space for the first month.

Fredrik

Who wants to go up against Zelda though? Especially this Zelda?... April, May and later is a much better place to be when launching games for Switch, everybody will focus on Zelda at the launch.

Zelda and ARMS would have been perfect. Wish I didn't have to wait a couple months after launch to play the latter, which is looking amazing.

18-Volt

Doesn't sound like a Polygon article, it needs to be a little more nonsensical. Like "Switch will launch with fewer games than the Wii, Wii U and 3DS combined".

Future

Back to the Mario 64 and pilotwings days (Zelda, bomberman) with wave race 64 around the corner (Mario kart deluxe)

Weakest thing about this system by far

ngower

I think the small amount of games is amplified by the fact that the hottest title, the whole reason for getting a Switch, is available on the Wii U as well. There really isn't a game that could sell the system that is a genuinely new experience until Splatoon 2, and as much as I love it, that's not going to sell systems. They'll need to pad out the first few months with robust VC options, backwards compatibility or something or I suspect it's going to be a pretty sparse affair until Mario Odyssey in the holiday season.

Nintendo really should have waited and released it this Fall. Zelda Wii U would still launch on 3/3 and Zelda Switch in the fall. The launch line up would have been larger and the online functionality would have been ready to go.

It seems that they really want to get it out early for Zelda but are missing things crucial to the system like software and online.

Anticol

Banned
Polygon is jumping the gun as usual, E3 isn't that far from Switch launch date, plus there's Nintendo direct.

I bet you that 2017 holiday will brimming with Switch games.
How is that jumping the gun if they are talking about launch day? They launch the console on march not on december m8.

Oregano

ARMS may not be finished but it's completely baffling to me that Mario Kart is a month after launch.

Snipperclips, ARMS, and either MK8DX or the inexplicably-not-announced-yet Smash 4 DX should all be launch titles.

They're simply expecting Zelda to carry far too much slack here.

I do think it's kind of smart to have something pick up a little bit after launch but yeah overall I agree.

Honestly if there is a Smash port(no reason to think there's not) why wasn't it even announced?

HeelPower

Nintendo did this to Maximize Zelda sales and make the brand relevant to Casuals again.

You can bet that nearly everyone who buys the switch will likely buy Zelda.Its the de facto only worthwhile option.

Then the next Zelda will be Guaranteed to sell crazy again,because BOTW will have granted the series such good exposure.

I hate to say it, but this makes perfect sense. How many launch games do people typically buy? 1 or 2 at most because you're already purchasing expensive hardware, I would assume.

Now one of those games is the new Zelda. Well, which game is virtually everyone going to buy? Why bother putting out other games right away when they'll be overshadowed? I think the strategy is: drive initial sales with a game many people will want, keep regular releases coming through the holidays. This is why Mario Kart coming the next month and not at launch makes sense.

Oregano

Zelda and ARMS would have been perfect. Wish I didn't have to wait a couple months after launch to play the latter, which is looking amazing.

image.php

D i Z

It launches with Zelda. What more do you need?

I hate to say it, but this makes perfect sense. How many launch games do people typically buy? 1 or 2 at most because you're already purchasing expensive hardware, I would assume.

Now one of those games is the new Zelda. Well, which game is virtually everyone going to buy? Why bother putting out other games right away when they'll be overshadowed? I think the strategy is: drive initial sales with a game many people will want, keep regular releases coming through the holidays. This is why Mario Kart coming the next month and not at launch makes sense.

Imagine a world where there are people with interests outside of Zelda for a moment....

Ludist210

Launch line up is slim, but it's not a long wait for more major titles. If launch was slim and immediately followed by a drought, there'd be something to complain about but year 1 looks pretty good and is rather loaded with big titles. I think people are getting really whiny.
My thoughts as well. Plus we don't know what (if) the Virtual Console will launch with, or eShop titles.

I have a pre-order in, but I am damn disappointed with the lineup. My fear is I'm going to beat Zelda, get bored as it gathers dust, and sell all of it within the first month.

By the time you beat Zelda, the other Wii U ports will be available for you to rebuy at a premium price with the added feature of a paywall to support your online needs.

True Fire

This kind of logic is going to be the death of Nintendo. I figured they would have learned their lesson after their whole "commitment to making a better console" phase, but the Switch is basically the combination of everything that caused the Wii U to fail and the 3DS to fail at launch.

Zelda, Bomberman, and Isaac are enough at launch for me. April has Kart, May has Puyo Puyo... probably some unannounced stuff too. Solid.

Illucio

Banned
I still don't understand how it has the smallest lineup after:

Holding off Wii U game development to make Switch games for MORE THAN A YEAR.

Having BOTH handheld and console development teams work to make games for a single device.

ryechu

We clearly need more games, like these. Nintendo Switch has the worst launch lineup in Nintendo history!

Nintendo DS:

Feel the Magic: XY/XX (Sega)
Madden NFL 2005 (Electronic Arts)
Ping Pals (THQ)
Ridge Racer DS (Namco)
Spider-Man 2 (Activision)
Sprung (Ubisoft)
Metroid Prime Hunters: First Hunt (Nintendo)
Super Mario 64 DS (Nintendo)
Tiger Woods PGA Tour 2005 (Electronic Arts)

Nintendo 3DS

Pilotwings Resort
Steel Diver
Nintendogs + Cats
Super Street Fighter IV 3D Edition
The Sims 3
Madden NFL Football
Pro Evolution Soccer 2011 3D
Lego Star Wars III: The Clone Wars
Ridge Racer 3D
Super Monkey Ball 3D
Bust-A-Move Universe
Samurai Warriors: Chronicles
Asphalt 3D
Combat of Giants: Dinosaurs 3D
Rayman 3D
Tom Clancy’s Ghost Recon Shadow Wars

Zelda is enough for me. But the months following launch seem quiet empty. If they can keep up with the quality releases perhaps it won't be so bad.

During WiiU era so many said "Yeah, software output isn't good, but he, I only need Smash anyway" or "Mario Kart 8 is enough for me". We all know how that turned out.

Long story short, Zelda is a masterpiece and will have an amazing attach rate, but it isn't enough for the masses out there to justify paying €420 just to play a single game.

Top Bottom