• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Polygon: Nintendo Switch will launch with fewer games than the Wii, Wii U or 3DS

Nydius

While it sucks, I'm pretty sure that the XB1 and the PS$ also launched with less games than their predecessors.

The Xbox 360 and PS3 didn't have a major games drought before coming to market. I'll go one step further, neither the 360 nor the PS3 had ANY game droughts whereas the Wii U was plagued with them from launch, even from its own creator.

Other than Zelda, ports of Wii U titles should have been ready to go at launch. MK8 Deluxe is going to be a great port, sure... but it should be launching beside the system because MK8 is a three year old game this May. Pokken Tournament should have been pushed as a launch port. Maybe even Hyrule Warriors, although I can imagine they wouldn't want to interfere with Zelda BotW - but a port of HW with all DLC would have likely sold ridiculously well side by side with BotW if available.

There's no excuse for such a pathetic launch lineup with many of the games being trickled out throughout the year when they all but abandoned their previous console a year prior. What the hell were they doing on the software side this last year? Not much, apparently.

Siege.exe

I hate to say it, but this makes perfect sense. How many launch games do people typically buy? 1 or 2 at most because you're already purchasing expensive hardware, I would assume.

Now one of those games is the new Zelda. Well, which game is virtually everyone going to buy? Why bother putting out other games right away when they'll be overshadowed? I think the strategy is: drive initial sales with a game many people will want, keep regular releases coming through the holidays. This is why Mario Kart coming the next month and not at launch makes sense.

I'd have honestly bet money that MK would outperform Zelda at launch. If MK and Smash were intentionally held back, it would have been for Zelda's sake, not theirs

edit: forgot the if, my bad

pswii60

It launches with Zelda. What more do you need?
Nothing, if you own a XBO or PS4.

But if Switch was going to be your only console, then you've got no meat and potatoes to go with it.

Switch again is another 'supplemental' console from Nintendo, where it makes the absolute perfect addition, rather than replacement, to your existing console.

daakusedo

Re7 has been rumored since last year and was part of obe1 leaks which ended up true if I didn't miss anything.
Is capcom waiting for the game to release on the other platforms first?

I think it will sell at launch regardless. It's better to make sure they have good content coming out consistently than to have a large launch lineup and then go quite for extended periods of time.

That said I think a game like Arms would make the launch a lot better and it would also probably benefit the game to be at launch.

D

Deleted member 752119

Unconfirmed Member
Something to play two weeks later.

I'll be playing Mass Effect then. Well 18 days later. 😀

I was happy this is coming the 3rd instead of the rumored 17th as I'd have skipped launch and played ME first. Now it's Horizon that is getting skipped for a while.

But yeah, it's a thin lineup for people who main or only play Nintendo stuff. I'm fine with it since it's my third platform behind PC and PS4. Zelda, MK 8 Deluxe, Splatoon 2 and Mario Odyssey were plenty for me to buy in at launch given all the stuff I have to play this year or the others. Even if a bunch more games end up coming out I'd probably only get 2-3 more max this year anyway.

D i Z

During WiiU era so many said "Yeah, software output isn't good, but he, I only need Smash anyway" or "Mario Kart 8 is enough for me". We all know how that turned out.

Long story short, Zelda is a masterpiece and will have an amazing attach rate, but it isn't enough for the masses out there to justify paying €420 just to play a single game.

Yet to be determined. This is the problem with everything Nintendo. Objective reasoning goes out the window before they even put the product on the wood.

『Inaba Resident』;228355805 said:
I agree with Kart but they haven't even announced Smash

I bet Mario Kart could make launch but it seems their strategy is less at launch and avoid extended droughts in the post launch period.

phanphare

Banned
Yea that's going to generate great H/W sales during those gaps between releases

it should have a pretty solid library by the time the holiday season rolls around and it seems like Nintendo is doing a pretty good job of spacing releases out throughout the year

Zelda at launch, Mario Kart 8 Deluxe at the end of April, ARMS in the spring, Splatoon 2 over the summer, Mario during the holiday, and whatever else comes in between all those from Nintendo, 3rd parties/indies. and if Xenoblade 2 actually releases in 2017 outside of Japan which I am not betting on but if it does that's another solid title.

Well...

Uh...

Duh. No kidding. That's exactly what I plan on doing. Not buying a console until late 2017, early 2018 when the console has a more healthy library.

that sounds like a plan

watershed

Banned
Yeah the launch does not fill me with confidence that the Switch will be well supported and avoid the infamous Nintendo software droughts of the 3ds and WiiU.

Yeah, it's look pretty great. I would say I hope it has a healthy online userbase but I'm not even sure I'm going to subscribe to Nintendo's yet.:(

At the very least, it'll have a healthy community at its launch, as the online subscription doesn't go into effect until Fall.

KungFucius

King Snowflake
The launch is underwhelming. I will play Zelda on my WiiU and wait to see if they build up a quality library in a year or so. I am pretty much betting that Mario and or XC2 will not make it in 2017 and while I like Splatoon, I don't want to maintain an online sub just to play it sparingly after the first couple of weeks. Just about everything about the system spells WiiU level failure to me and I am not going to buy one until proven wrong.

Jedi2016

This kind of logic is going to be the death of Nintendo.
Hardly. With a Zelda game at launch (particularly this particular game), they would be killing off anything that attempted to launch against it. All of those other games would sell like shit and be counted as failures, and they'd all in the bargain bin in six months.

It's like trying to have a big opening weekend in the theater by releasing your movie the same week as Star Wars.

I've already got a pre-order in for the console, and exactly one game. And I'm good. So are many, many others. My eventual Switch library will probably be tiny compared to other platforms, with a handful of exclusives and a bunch of older VC titles.

phanphare

Banned
Hardly. With a Zelda game at launch (particularly this particular game), they would be killing off anything that attempted to launch against it. All of those other games would sell like shit and be counted as failures, and they'd all in the bargain bin in six months.

It's like trying to have a big opening weekend in the theater by releasing your movie the same week as Star Wars.

I've already got a pre-order in for the console, and exactly one game. And I'm good. So are many, many others. My eventual Switch library will probably be tiny compared to other platforms, with a handful of exclusives and a bunch of older VC titles.

probably why Mario Kart is in April instead of at launch. I'm sure they could've swung it.

I know you're being facetious, but there is far more diversity in those lineups for people who aren't into Zelda.

True, but Nintendo probably knows that Zelda is enough to sell out at launch. It's better for sales if they then have games like MK8 and Arms release a month or two after launch the hope is it will get more attention and help move more systems.

Really think Mario Kart 8 Deluxe and ARMS would'be been perfect at launch. Everyone who plays ARMS seems to love it. And everyone loves Mario Kart. I could set up a Switch at the office and sell a dozen people right away with it. Gonna be fun!

I was surprised that ARMS wasn't a launch game. I felt like their big second game was either going to be that or Splatoon. Nobody cares about 1-2-Switch. That said, ARMS requires four Joy-Cons to play with someone, right? I'm interested in the game but $80 for what is just one extra controller for this game is insane.

gow3isben

Thats 2 weeks worth of gaming, maybe three if you take your time, and then what?

If you are a Nintendo fan you probably have a Wii U already so play it on that that I say. I just don't see people who never bought a Wii U actually going through with buying the switch for 300 plus dollars. You really have to love the Nintendo brand names like Mario or Zelda to sacrifice all that third party support for the exclusives. Unless you are rich and have multiple consoles.

They forgot FAST RMX as a March title and I'm sure there's more than just 5 games launching with this thing.
Then maybe if you're Nintendo, you could wait before you put out an image like this and let a narrative form:

C2E_Y0vXcAAWqNI

AdanVC

And we we're thinking this console will have RE7 and FFXV on release... hahaha :(

But Zelda tho. N64 launch vibes. Few games and one phenomenal huge ass game such as Zelda to launch your console seems excellent to me. Then Mario Kart 8 Deluxe in April among Snipperclips, then Splatoon 2, then E3... 2017 fully covered in terms of games for Switch.

Nydius

IBut yeah, it's a thin lineup for people who main or only play Nintendo stuff. I'm fine with it since it's my third platform behind PC and PS4. Zelda, MK 8 Deluxe, Splatoon 2 and Mario Odyssey were plenty for me to buy in at launch given all the stuff I have to play this year or the others. Even if a bunch more games end up coming out I'd probably only get 2-3 more max this year anyway.

Only one of those games you mentioned is an actual LAUNCH game. The other three are late April, "Summer", "Holiday", respectively. You didn't buy into four launch games, you bought into one and preordered three others, two of which have vague release dates.

Then maybe if you're Nintendo, you could wait before you put out an image like this and let a narrative form:

C2E_Y0vXcAAWqNI

THat's a really sad image lol. I can't even imagine how bad things would have been if it had launched in November. It seems like Nintendo rushed this thing out once Wii U's failure became apparent.

Also how the hell is Skyrim not ready? No one will care about Skyrim this fall.

Kikorin

I'm lucky enough because I always buy only one game with a new console and Zelda is the best launch game I could ask. Than I'll wait for Mario Kart 8 and Arms.

Top Bottom