• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Polygon posts ad/re-worded press release as 'News' & deletes user comments [Removed]

Dennis

Banned
Does anyone else not like the layout of that site? I tried to read some reviews and there were enormous screenshots and the text was all over the place. I feel like an old man but, my poor eyes.

I think the layout is great. Love the huge screenshots.

Haunted

Honestly, if this is what you people are so angry over, you should stop going to gaming sites immediately. Cuz it's only gon' get worse from here.
Yeah, we could be quiet about this and ignore all this and let things happen as they always have, be happy with thinly veiled advertisements and regurgitated press release that don't have a shred of critical thought or personality put behind them. Just keep getting fed.

Or maybe, just maybe, we can make it clear that this is not good enough, this is not the standard we expect from any outlet that wants to be respected and taken seriously - and with that feedback, the people working for these sites can actually rise up to the challenge and better themselves.

I'd like to think the latter is more useful to all involved. Well, maybe except for the PR machine who are surely happy to keep things the way they are now.

Vamphuntr

My personal issue with this is that they claimed they would be better than all the other game critics/websites and would lead to a revolution of gaming "journalism".

When you promote high ideals and standards and says upfront you will be better than the competition, you really have to do like you said.

Next time simply don't write something bold like that if you don't want your reputation to take a hit.

Yeah so? They cut out the comments obviously after seeing each one doing the same whining everyone in here is doing.

Talk about your first world problems.

"Oh no, this videogame website is promoting a promotion, how will we survive this?"

Give me a break.

I don't think anyone here cares about the promotion. I think they care about this story in the broader context GAF has been having over the past week. Polygon has claimed they are a new kind of media, one that has high standards. Deleting comments and hiding any criticism behind internal feedback is kinda gross.

Well, they did the right thing rather than act like uptight arseholes so...yay?

They could've not acted like shills, then not acted liked uptight arseholes when called on it, rather then doing all that and then doing the "right thing."

But I take your point.

Zero is one single digit yes.

GameIndustry.biz Gamasutra and GiantBomb are all great, and I'm sure there's more, I just can't think of 'em at the mo'...

SmokyDave

Yeah so? They cut out the comments obviously after seeing each one doing the same whining everyone in here is doing.

"Oh no, this videogame website is promoting a promotion, how will we survive this?"

Give me a break.
I wish people that were 'above it all' would stay that way.

GG-Duo

Chris: Kudos for the removal. I don't think Polygon handled this properly at the start, but I'm fine with the correction now.

GAF should just take a breath and calm down. Yeah, they have not proved that they are a revolution in anything, but there is a bit of mob mentality going on.

LeleSocho

Banned
Not even the time of healing that "Microsoft funded video" scar when thay weren't even live and they already fucked up again... twice.
They are beyond awful.

PaulLFC

Give me a break.
You could try reading around the topic and then you may actually display some semblance of knowing what you're talking about. Go to the OP, read the thread this one was linked from, then maybe you'll understand. Our maybe you won't and you'll keep up with the passive aggressive tone. We'll see.

JeffGrubb

He's just operating under your own rules for debates, man. Remember your entirely unnecessary ad hominem attack regarding manliness earlier in the thread? That was not sound argumentative logic. He's just giving tit for tat, here.

Or is that just a conspiracy theory of mine?

No, that's fair. The manliest thing was a joke and not part of a sound argument.

Lime

GAF, you have completely legit points and criticisms, but I think a lot of the ugliness and snark in these comments are just as tacky as Polygon's handling of the situation. I feel disappointed as I had high hopes for the site, but I didn't realize that some of the staff were so loathed around here.

Can anyone explain why Chris Grant or Arthur Gies aren't worthwhile to listen to?

Can't comment on Chris Grant, but Arthur Gies' contribution to Polygon in terms of well-argued, critically thorough and non-hyperbolic analysis consists of the following:

unavngivetweze5.png

10/10

Ok, how quick their tone changes.

Within an hour we basically go from ------

"If you dont like it, read another one!"

to

"We agree this doesn't stand up to our high standards so we are taking it off the main page right now!"

Talk about a wavering wishy washy stance. That's all kinds of awesome. They wanted to stand up and defend the "story" for one minute, then they agree with everyone and remove it from their home page.

I find that as telling as anything that has transpired on Polygon today. Wow!!!

Zeliard

Rab Florence's article was exactly about what is happening here, which is that games writers are perceived as being at the beck-and-call of marketing and need to be careful to divorce themselves from the notion.

Florence wasn't specifically accusing the people he named of anything (though it was later found out that Wainwright's ethical breaches do in fact run deep). He was saying that their actions create the perception that something problematic is going on in the games media-PR relationship, and that the mere perception is ultimately viewed as reality.

When you regurgitate a press release for schlock and simply stick it on your front page as content, you are contributing to that perception because you are seeming to endorse what it is you're informing readers about. In that sense it is actually not different from an advertisement; that you are not being paid for it doesn't change its practical application nor the perception it creates.

SkyandSun

Banned
A result, but I still don't feel their reasoning is honest. 'Our own high standards'? Yeah, I don't think this is honest. It was the high standards of their readers, rather than their own, that forced a change, from what I can see. Rab has pointed out the same on twitter.

GameIndustry.biz Gamasutra and GiantBomb are all great, and I'm sure there's more, I just can't think of 'em at the mo'...
I love giant bomb, but they're entertainment (some of Patricks stuff is good but at the end of the day they're basically video game's top gear). I'll give you gamasutra though. Some of their post mortems are really good. Don't visit gameindustry enough to comment on them though. Maybe I should.

GG-Duo

A result, but I still don't feel their reasoning is honest. 'Our own high standards'? Yeah, I don't think this is honest. It was the high standards of their readers, rather than their own, that forced a change, from what I can see. Rab has pointed out the same on twitter.

The readers pointed out that they don't live up to their supposed high standards, and they agreed. That sounds fine to me.

I don't demand perfection, but I only demand that they listen and improve.

AkuMifune

Banned

I at least appreciate the irony of us having to remind them what their own high standards are.

Dennis

Banned

As I have mentioned a few times this last week, there seems to an undercurrent of contempt towards gamers from the games press. A distasteful "we are the insiders, they are entitled and immature" attitude coming from people that are supposed to have the interest of gamers at heart.

Well, at least they're taking it down. They really could have a) not deleted critical, yet legitimate, comments, b) not taken the initial "this is a good article" approach or c) not posted the bloody article at all, but credit where credit is due.

The readers pointed out that they don't live up to their supposed high standards, and they agreed. That sounds fine to me.

I don't demand perfection, but I only demand that they listen and improve.

Readers being the watch-dogs for quality standards is not a good precedent to set for a new games media website, especially one supposedly shooting for best-of-industry material.

No and it's hard to search for something vague like that..

Here

Zeliard

Well, at least they're taking it down. They really could have a) deleted critical, yet legitimate, comments, b) not taken the initial "this is a good article" approach or c) not posted the bloody article at all, but credit where credit is due.

I agree, good show on them for taking it down.

daemissary

Can we give Polygon and Chris Grant some credit now?

They screwed up and tried to defend it at first but in the end, they listened to the criticism and took action.

I hope that they address the comments issue for the futurethough...we aren't in Soviet Russia, we should be able to criticize without fear of censorship if the critique is warranted.

Nert

It's a good thing that the article was taken down. Ideally, they either would have not posted it in the first placed or they would have refrained from censoring their own comments section, but this is better than nothing.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
I was pumped to have Polygon as my go to gaming site, based on the goodwill from The Verge. Now, well, fuck you guys. You're done to me until such time when the community (GAF) considers you reputable. Good luck with that.

Empty

i really hate the complaining about complaining. now they've taken the step of taking a story down due to complaints, which is kinda a big deal, there has to be internal discussion about news policies so they don't do this again which could very well lead to them not just reposting marketing press releases uncritically going forwards and considering how they cover press releases, which would be great. this is readers actively working to hold writers to a higher standard and trying to improve things, and belittling this is obnoxious.

They screwed up and tried to defend it at first but in the end, they listened to the criticism and took action.

Yeah, fair play in recognising their mistakes and identifying that their audience disagreed with the content.

But you know it will be spun against them as some sort of lack of belief in their own content or whatever.

Trevelyon

I'm completely offended by the GAF strong arming going on here. If you don't like it, sit and spin.

Actually, maybe I was wrong, I withdraw the above sentence.

Polygon NEVER CHANGE

Calcaneus

I thought this site was gonna be more like Killscreen in the type of news they carried. Like, less day to day updates on upcoming games but more stories related to video games.

ghst

thanks for the laugh

I hope that they address the comments issue for the futurethough...we aren't in Soviet Russia, we should be able to criticize without fear of censorship if the critique is warranted.

they didn't listen to the value of the criticism, they were overwhelmed by its mass.

As I have mentioned a few times this last week, there seems to an undercurrent of contempt towards gamers from the games press. A distasteful "we are the insiders, they are entitled and immature" attitude coming from people that are supposed to have the interest of gamers at heart.
Hyper entitled, one might say.

jbfaLnmS8CFYw0.png

SkyandSun

Banned
I guess the question is whether these gaming sites are reactive or - not sure of the word - creative?

As in, the readers make their views known, and the site then shifts with the wind to keep that readership (as appears to have happened here); or the site has a defined set of principles to which they adhere, and aim to attract a readership based on that.

Instinctively, the latter form of games website seems much more valuable and ethical to me.

Wow, surprise surprise. No one responded to my comment before. And interestingly enough, no one responded (and by no one, I mean the journalists popping in here and commenting) to these comments.

Rab Florence's article was exactly about what is happening here, which is that games writers are perceived as being at the beck-and-call of marketing and need to be careful to divorce themselves from the notion.

Florence wasn't specifically accusing the people he named of anything (though it was later found out that Wainwright's ethical breaches do in fact run deep). He was saying that their actions create the perception that something problematic is going on in the games media-PR relationship, and that the mere perception is ultimately viewed as reality.

When you regurgitate a press release for schlock and simply stick it on your front page as content, you are contributing to that perception because you are seeming to endorse what it is you're informing readers about. In that sense it is actually not different from an advertisement; that you are not being paid for it doesn't change its practical application nor the perception it creates.

you seem to be attempting to deconstruct what this piece encapsulates.

polygon's relationship with microsoft is already under the lens for 750,000 reasons. they are a start-up with an MO built around a bringing code of ethics to popular games journalism, and many would argue that this has already been compromised by the initial MS deal.

since then, the debate regarding conflict of interest and cognitive dissonance within the incestuous game journalism/PR relationship has fired up in to an inferno. the debate has shifted from the crude beginnings of "bought" allegations, and now highlights that even if a journalist is somehow completely incorruptible, the mere appearance of this kind of journalist:subject collusion is damaging enough on its own.

can you think of anything more boneheaded for a start-up in this situation to do in this climate than regurgitate a near word-for-word press release for a trivial microsoft promo deal with a fast food chain, presenting it as news, then actively censor their audience's criticisms?

They are being used in marketing ploys - and worse yet - they don't even realize it, having deceived themselves into thinking they are doing something proper and good. Shawn Elliott hit the nail on the head in the other thread.

They are actually oblivious to the notion of impropriety and outright reject the possibility, which makes it even tougher to get them to have any introspection on the matter.

Instead of considering "how does this appear? does it come across that we are actually endorsing this press release in some fashion?", they do the equivalent of sticking their fingers in their ears and yelling.

Interesting to see Polygon remove the story from their front page. It's not like I wanted them to remove it, I just wanted them to understand the implications of publishing such a piece.

Lime

Good on them for rectifying their mistake.

They should probably look into how that Emily employee (who published the advertisement, yet denies the relevance of reporting the Florence controversy) is Facebook friends with Lauren Wainwright, though.

Top Bottom