• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Polygon Rumor: Xbox 720 DRM, Achievements, Friendslist, and Share feature info

Like the recently announced PlayStation 4, the still-unnamed next Xbox will include the ability to capture video highlights of gameplay and then share them through networks like Facebook and Ustream.

I'd have thought Twitch would be the default streaming site MS would use.

Microsoft is also trying to come up with a system for video sharing though all of the details are still being locked down. According to our sources, currently the next Xbox will capture your gameplay as if it were a DVR, allowing you to go back and select highlights. That function can be turned on or off, or a player can set up the console to automatically capture a recording when certain in-game events occur, like a headshot or collecting a specific achievement. Auto capturing those "magic moments" will be a feature only available on next-gen games.

Those videos can then be uploaded directly from the console to social sites, like YouTube, for sharing.

Not unexpected, I've wanted this for years.

Sources tell Polygon that the next Xbox will indeed have some form of an always-on requirement. That will be both to support the suite of non-gaming entertainment applications that will be launched alongside the console, like streaming video services, but also as a possible anti-piracy tool. Currently, the console will support digital rights management and anti-piracy checks using an internet connection. Under Microsoft's current guidelines, which may still be changed, the decision of whether a game will require an internet connection to work and if that is a one-time authentication or a constant connection, will be left up to individual publishers.

Interesting.

The fact that offline gameplay, always online and one-time checks are supported, means that in the future, publishers will have much greater control over copyright protection for their games.

Hmm, this gives too much control to publishers. Not sure about this.

The next-generation Live won't have a cap on the number of friends a person can have. The way players add friends will also change. Now instead of it being a two-way friendship only, people can choose to follow one another, sort of like Twitter.

Finally, more more caps.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Next-gen achievements can also be tied to broader events, like a weekend challenge or a communal goal, like contributing a set number of kills to the bigger goal of 10,000 kills over one weekend.

This is going to brutalize people who crave full completion.

Mithos

The next Xbox will allow publishers to decide if their games should require an internet connection to be played.

So buy or no buy are going to be easy for XboxNext games, sweet. ;p

To be honest it sounds exactly like the ps4. I will remain open to which console I get. I see nothing bad or offensive here at all. In the end the games will be what gets me.

GooeyHeat

Well, if on both PS4 and next Xbox it's up to the publishers, then I guess my decision goes from "won't buy any console that blocks used games or has always online" to "won't support any publisher that blocks used games or forces online". Same idea, different targets.

oVerde

Banned
On one hand, good news.

On the other, it's Polygon.

Well, Polygon is so close to MSFT that makes me believe more in their Durango rumours than Kotaku's

ALSO, social media without a keyboard will be just a fuken wasteland. No way anyone could write an achievement guide with on screen keyboard D:

Hilbert

Deep into his 30th decade

Maybe I will finally somehow be able to get that "Elected a new president" achievement I have been dreaming about every election day. Or at least a "watched a presidential debate" one if I watch it on Xbox.

This pleases me.
Finally some rumors that make sense.

The idea of following people like Twitter sounds fun.
Now you'll get to see how your high scores compare to game devs without having to add them/accept you. Very cool.

This also establishes what I always thought...
it's up to the publishers, not Microsoft/Sony whether a game has to be always online!

JoeFenix

It sounds unbelievably awful, they are going to be treating players like monkeys. They'll make people buy Doritos and play garbage companion apps while forcing them to 'like' on Facebook for a stupid Achievement.

It's such an Xbox thing to do now that I think about it. Consistent with the way they see and treat their customers.

AgentP

Thinks mods influence posters politics. Promoted to QAnon Editor.
The fact that offline gameplay, always online and one-time checks are supported, means that in the future, publishers will have much greater control over copyright protection for their games.

It should be up to the customer. If they are offline, use the disc for DRM, if online, no disc required. I'm guessing the new MS system is more about piracy and for the sole benefit of the publishers.

It just hit me, if cross gen achievements is true then that maybe confirms BC in Durango?

Of course, and my Vita can play PS3 games too!

Nirolak

Mrgrgr

Also this other part:

Companies can also create cross-title achievements, like awarding points for finishing the first chapter in two different and unrelated games published by the same company. Some of these bigger, cross-title, communal achievements will be a requirement for all titles.

Want full achievements in BioShock 4? Buy The Darkness 3!

It sounds unbelievably awful, they are going to be treating players like monkeys. They'll make people buy Doritos and play garbage companion apps while forcing them to 'like' on Facebook for a stupid Achievement.

It's such an Xbox thing to do now that I think about it. Consistent with the way they see and treat their costumers.

You sir, have not seen the wake up club thread.

Riggs

Banned

It's such an Xbox thing to do now that I think about it. Consistent with the way they see and treat their costumers.

Honestly couldn't agree more.

"sources tell x feature"
"sources tell x feature might"
"our source also tell"

Thank god MS is finally revealing their new console next month <_<

Nemesis_

Achievements won't be scrapped? I hate next gen already.

It's almost like you're FORCED to get them!

ibmR7UDZPTgxMt.gif

I really don't like the idea of event or time specific achievements and ones with a certain requirement that is completely unrelated to the game, i already dislike games with multiplayer achievements as there are a few which i can't get anymore. I'm not obsessed with them but i try to get as many achievements as i can, i get a little annoyed when there is a game i know for sure i will never be able to 100% because of unobtainable achivements.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Maybe I will finally somehow be able to get that "Elected a new president" achievement I have been dreaming about every election day. Or at least a "watched a presidential debate" one if I watch it on Xbox.

OMG "Voted for the winning Presidential Candidate" achievement would be delicious. Permanent mark of pride/shame. Delightful.

Banned
It should be up to the customer. If they are offline, use the disc for DRM, if online, no disc required. I'm guessing the new MS system is more about piracy and for the sole benefit of the publishers.

The next Sony system too.

twobear

sputum-flecked apoplexy

I'm pretty sure you just straight-up imagined that the article said or even vaguely implied any of that whatsoever.

The playing other games bit sounds pretty dumb, I'll give you that.

Still, you're not forced to do any of these things.

Mindwipe

Those videos can then be uploaded directly from the console to social sites, like YouTube, for sharing.

I guarantee not one person at MS has thought about what happens when a game has a licenced soundtrack in this scenario, so it will get probably pulled or restricted to an MS owned video site at the last seond.

mattp

doesn't sony let game publisher decide to make their games forced online now? or is that only for psn downloadable games (capcom did this with a couple games, not sure if anyone else did)

You know what would really sell me on this system (not that I need to be sold, I'll buy one no matter what they do)? If it rethinks achievements to the point that I can turn them off. I consider them to be the worst thing to happen to gaming in my lifetime and couldn't care less about them. They're artificial game extension mechanisms. I don't begrudge people who enjoy them, but I'd love to game in a world where they don't exist, like I used to.

Riggs

Banned
I guarantee not one person at MS has thought about what happens when a game has a licenced soundtrack in this scenario, so it will get probably pulled or restricted to an MS owned video site at the last seond.

Ding Ding, we have a winner. Never thought of that lol.

Wouldn't the same apply to PS4 uploads? I think a solution to this should be disabling the soundtrack, but I'm not sure if that's technically feasible.

It's a little app that is self contained, it doesn't force you to jump through insane hoops even if people can 'boost' it if they want to.

This is a completely different thing.

There's no platinum on Xbox. No reason to get 100%. None of this is mandatory. So getting more achievements for by buying or playing one or more game is jumping through hoops but changing our sleep schedule for trophies is not? LOLZ.

Top Bottom