• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Polygon Rumor: Xbox 720 DRM, Achievements, Friendslist, and Share feature info

It sounds unbelievably awful, they are going to be treating players like monkeys. They'll make people buy Doritos and play garbage companion apps while forcing them to 'like' on Facebook for a stupid Achievement.

It's such an Xbox thing to do now that I think about it. Consistent with the way they see and treat their customers.

Sure, because Sony doesn't have any lame social networking crap built in or anything...

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
You know what would really sell me on this system (not that I need to be sold, I'll buy one no matter what they do)? If it rethinks achievements to the point that I can turn them off. I consider them to be the worst thing to happen to gaming in my lifetime and couldn't care less about them. They're artificial game extension mechanisms. I don't begrudge people who enjoy them, but I'd love to game in a world where they don't exist, like I used to.

If achievements affect game design, then turning them off won't solve your problem.

If achievements don't affect game design, then the little pop-up prompt for getting one is not "the worst thing to happen to gaming in your lifetime" because you're still getting the game you would have got without them, and so it's all about your own neurosis in terms of having to deal with the prompts.

twobear

sputum-flecked apoplexy
I guarantee not one person at MS has thought about what happens when a game has a licenced soundtrack in this scenario, so it will get probably pulled or restricted to an MS owned video site at the last seond.
Really? You don't think that a single person at Microsoft, an enormous company that probably employs more lawyers alone than many medium-sized companies have total staff on their payroll, have considered something that took you about fifteen seconds to notice. Not one person.

Okay.

they will have to come clean and say, "NO never will we be offering games that needs a online connection to be able to work for single player games etc" if they want me to buy this new xbox. Cause What if 2 years down the line when everyone paid for a 720 and publishers force always online down our throats?

This has to be very clear for me to even consider a 720.

GQman2121

Banned
The video recording and dvr like feature sounds practical and useful. However, the expansion on Achievements sounds fucking terrible. And I really enjoy achievements and trophies.

I just designed The box art for the NextBox!

QGWA

I expect my check to be mailed thusly.

Nemesis_

If achievements affect game design, then turning them off won't solve your problem.

If achievements don't affect game design, then the little pop-up prompt for getting one is not "the worst thing to happen to gaming in your lifetime" because you're still getting the game you would have got without them, and so it's all about your own neurosis in terms of having to deal with the prompts.

This, so much. I don't understand why people get so annoyed about achievements or trophies - they are there as a thing that you can either choose to pursue or not choose to pursue. It's not like anyone is holding a gun to your head to get them.

The hate they get is just so irrational and unwarranted.

Dabanton

Really? You don't think that a single person at Microsoft, an enormous company that probably employs more lawyers alone than many medium-sized companies have total staff on their payroll, have considered something that took you about fifteen seconds to notice. Not one person.

Okay.

Haha amazing.

CookTrain

Wouldn't the same apply to PS4 uploads? I think a solution to this should be disabling the soundtrack, but I'm not sure if that's technically feasible.

Isn't it already technically in place? Music can already be turned off in favour of custom soundtracks. Why not just trip that switch for recorded footage as well?

Riggs

Banned

Okay.

You're a fun poster aren't you?

He made a good point.

JoeFenix

I'm pretty sure you just straight-up imagined that the article said or even vaguely implied any of that whatsoever.

The playing other games bit sounds pretty dumb, I'll give you that.

Still, you're not forced to do any of these things.

I'm pretty sure I completely read the article and can see EXACTLY where this is going to lead.

Please keep this thread in mind 2-3 years down the line, I bet we'll have examples that are frighteningly close to what I've described.

That would be interesting.

Microsoft probably won't do it for first-party titles. Will EA and Activision? Probably not, as they'll be worried it will cut into sales.

Makes me not want to buy the system.

I have a suspicion PS4 will do the same. Hope I'm wrong. Already been thinking about going PC+WiiU exclusively, though.

Nibiru

Banned
The reason for always online drm is always to prevent piracy, it has nothing to do with providing services for us and all that other pr crap.

The always online if to stop people modding the xbox and playing pirated games so asking a publisher if they want an online check is redundant because the console already has it built in.

The case is closed on this people the next Xbox is ALWAYS ONLINE. They are trying to muddy the waters with many different details and angles to spin and confuse us but when you drown out all the noise what remains is DRM.

Justin

If you hate achievements than why are you upset about there being more ways to get a achievements? You do realize that you can turn off achievement notifications so that you never even need to know they exist?

So only some games might require one-time activation? I see this being extremely confusing to the average non-savvy gamer who's used to all games for a console operating in basically the same way as a product. Publishers will have to make it extremely explicit on the cover whether a game supports that or not, and of course many people won't know or understand what that means.

televator

Sounds like some achievements can be ransomed for you to purchased more games.

Edit: Or "scan your Doritos" and Mtn Dew, like Wuthering said.

All of it, it's a marketers wet dream.

Adding crosslink achievements and event based achievements, fucking garbage!

You make it sound like this some how hurts you for not trying to get those achievements. My god man just live your life and stop hating for no reason. If people want to get them be happy for them. Do you own thing. You're making it sound like the xbox is holing a gun at you on your couch. Hah

Sources tell Polygon that the next Xbox will indeed have some form of an always-on requirement. That will be both to support the suite of non-gaming entertainment applications that will be launched alongside the console, like streaming video services, but also as a possible anti-piracy tool. Currently, the console will support digital rights management and anti-piracy checks using an internet connection. Under Microsoft's current guidelines, which may still be changed, the decision of whether a game will require an internet connection to work and if that is a one-time authentication or a constant connection, will be left up to individual publishers.

These 2 are contradictory.

Nemesis_

He made a good point.

I honestly don't see what is wrong with Godelsmetric's post. It is incredibly myopic to think that Microsoft wouldn't have thought this through (or have some kind of contingency in place to remedy it).

Heck it's not like Microsoft haven't delved into the entire music licensing business with their own entire service (and as such are unfamiliar with the concept of music licensing)

Xanadu

Banned
It sounds unbelievably awful, they are going to be treating players like monkeys. They'll make people buy Doritos and play garbage companion apps while forcing them to 'like' on Facebook for a stupid Achievement.

It's such an Xbox thing to do now that I think about it. Consistent with the way they see and treat their customers.

and yet you keep on coming back fo mo!

JoeFenix

If you hate achievements than why are you upset about there being more ways to get a achievements? You do realize that you can turn off achievement notifications so that you never even need to know they exist?

Some people like completing games 100% and this just shits on them completely.

It's not THAT hard to understand.

No joke, people complaining to just complain now. God Damn xbox giving some people more of what they like!

androvsky

He made a good point.

It's a good point, but easily fixed. BGM needs to be a separate track for custom soundtracks to work, and it's easy enough to simply not record that track when encoding video... which also solves the custom soundtrack issue.

And even if no one at MS thought of it, I promise the publishers have, especially since Sony's doing pretty much the same thing. It's not going to be a problem.

If I can turn my gamerscore on or off I'd be fine with achievements 100%.
They only annoy me because at this stage its a random number.

I'd have still got all the achievements in COD if they gave me an ingame incentive; I just don't like knowing people can almost see what I've been doing/playing. Which is pretty much the point; we know that from Giantbomb.

nekomix

Always-on up to the publisher... this isn't a good thing :-/ When it comes to consumer-friendly decisions, little to no publisher take the good ones... But it's where we're heading to (Sony and MS, next gen Nintendo as always :) ) so... let's see what ther is at the end of that path.

twobear

sputum-flecked apoplexy

He made a good point.
I say with some level of confidence, and without actually knowing a single thing about conversations that have taken place in the Microsoft campus at Redmond during its entire history, that Microsoft have thought about it.

The reason for always online drm is always to prevent piracy, it has nothing to do with providing services for us and all that other pr crap.

The always online if to stop people modding the xbox and playing pirated games so asking a publisher if they want an online check is redundant because the console already has it built in.

The case is closed on this people the next Xbox is ALWAYS ONLINE. They are trying to muddy the waters with many different details and angles to spin and confuse us but when you drown out all the noise what remains is DRM.

Sounds like it supports persistent online at an OS level, it doesn't sound like it's a mandatory requirement for all games, but the language used isn't exactly clear so it's still up in the air as to if the requirement is mandatory.

Mindwipe

Okay.

I think you would be surprised. I've know the same happen at major international broadcasters.

To be fair, I imagine that some of the lower level lawyers have noticed, but been ignored.

KingKong

With the small collection of major publishers you can expect practically every AAA game to use the always-online option

Banned

Achievements are not mandatory. People that like them will have their fun and go get as many as they can. Others will ignore them and all will be fine. It really is not a big deal at all. I mean really at all.

Nemesis_

No joke, people complaining to just complain now. God Damn xbox giving some people more of what they like!

I know, and you'd have to be incredibly ignorant to think that Microsoft aren't aware of how powerful achievements are - heck Sony patched in trophies once we started seeing websites dedicated purely to achievements / trophies appearing on the net.

It's unfortunate, but it does happen - some people do buy games just for achievements. Removing these removes that segment of the market.

Why ruin that / lose that demo? And why on earth would you even consider it when achievements / trophies aren't even compulsory to complete a game?

Mindwipe

Heck it's not like Microsoft haven't delved into the entire music licensing business with their own entire service (and as such are unfamiliar with the concept of music licensing)

It's also not like Microsoft haven't had a series of disasters caused by poor planning with such services.

If there are 'special' achievements I could win one for a contest that only happens once or something. That could be cool. I don't give a fuck about hoarders so sorry guys; that'd be one good achievement aspect.

It would be gimmicky - but maybe fun for a while.

So only some games might require one-time activation? I see this being extremely confusing to the average non-savvy gamer who's used to all games for a console operating in basically the same way as a product. Publishers will have to make it extremely explicit on the cover whether a game supports that or not, and of course many people won't know or understand what that means.

Games from certain publishers already have activation codes for online features, this sounds like they are extending it to the whole game, I assume they will handle it the same in regards to people being aware. I mean, they probably rather the average consumer buy the games, open the box, see a code that says they need to put this in before they can play it and either begrudgingly enter the code or carelessly enter it without a thought . None are gonna put "This game uses a code, you should reconsider buying it" on the cover .

DaBuddaDa

Achievements are not mandatory. People that like them will have their fun and go get as many as they can. Others will ignore them and all will be fine. It really is not a big deal at all. I mean really at all.

I think it's reasonable to feel a moral objection to corporations using their consumers as guinea pigs for their advertising campaigns for free through exploitation of human psychology and ignorance. I mean, that stuff happens everywhere, all the time, and it's gross no matter what.

Top Bottom