• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Polygon Rumor: Xbox 720 DRM, Achievements, Friendslist, and Share feature info

Going off of that alone, it sounds pretty neat except for the follow feature. So random people following you can see what you're playing and join your games?

I'm not sure if i'm looking at the wrong page, but i can't see anything about "always online" on page 9, it just says the system itself can be "always on".

MS used the always online wording when they revealed the 360. It's not new for them to use it, it's just taken on a new, more sinister meaning/dimension with games like Diablo 3 and Sim City.

p3tran

Banned
Wasn't sure if this was already posted but here it goes (from today):

"We want to stand out these points; we keep our word about the always online. Durango won’t need internet connection to run games or apps (Games & Apps that you can run without internet, obviously)."

http://www.vgleaks.com/rumor-video-sharing-new-friends-system-and-enhanced-achievements-for-durango/

Sounds like VGleaks are adamant and putting their necks on the line against the always online (DRM) rumor.
A step in the right direction

x-Lundz-x

Going off of that alone, it sounds pretty neat except for the follow feature. So random people following you can see what you're playing and join your games?

Just like now I will have all that crap turned off and be invisible. One thing I want more than others is the following:

I want to be able to have a friends list that I can be "invisible" too, while still showing as online to my close friends. I hate the all or nothing approach we have now.

Just like now I will have all that crap turned off and be invisible. One thing I want more than others is the following:

I want to be able to have a friends list that I can be "invisible" too, while still showing as online to my close friends. I hate the all or nothing approach we have now.

Ya that would be nice. I think if this is true, they'll like have it set up like Twitter too where you can choose to have followers "approved". But I don't see how that's much different from friend requests we have now. It just makes it one-sided, which is stupid. Why would I want people following me if I'm not going to play games with them?

Banned
Edge started it, other 'insiders' confirmed it and then a MS employee took to twitter to defend it. For a while there, it looked to be all but officially confirmed.

Good news that VG Leaks is saying its not true. Theyve been pretty good with their predictions/rumors/whatever.
Itll be interesting to see which sources end up being legit on 5/21.

What insiders?

Salaadin

What insiders?

Im using that word very loosely.

They were all over the place. I think the original Edge thread even had 1 or 2 supposedly trustworthy gaffers pop in to confirm the story. Thats kinda when I started to get swayed. Rumors dont usually play out the way the "always online" one did.

But lately, weve had others coming out in the opposite direction so who really knows.

Banned
Im using that word very loosely.

They were all over the place. I think the original Edge thread even had 1 or 2 supposedly trustworthy gaffers pop in to confirm the story. Thats kinda when I started to get swayed. Rumors dont usually play out the way the "always online" one did.

But lately, weve had others coming out in the opposite direction so who really knows.

People claiming to know or be insiders should not be taken seriously unless they have proof.

ksdixon

If I understand the latest rumors...

Both MS and Sony are now taking the position where they aren't forcing 'always online drm' to be console-wide, but are leaving the door wide open to publishers/devs to put it in-place on a per-game basis?

Izick

Was it this thread people were talking about hype? After the couple of leaks today, I think there's a shit-ton of hype over this next console. People seem to be interested in the Illumniroom stuff, which is cool because we haven't even seen it used in an actual way; just some simpler tech demos. I think people will be just as excited come the week before the 21st.

Either way, 22 more days!

Was it this thread people were talking about hype? After the couple of leaks today, I think there's a shit-ton of hype over this next console. People seem to be interested in the Illumniroom stuff, which is cool because we haven't even seen it used in an actual way; just some simpler tech demos. I think people will be just as excited come the week before the 21st.

Either way, 22 more days!

This, I believe, is the hype thread...

trmas

Banned
If this box really is Windows 8 based, I can honestly say I'm not going to give it a fair chance. I loathe Windows 8 in every sense of the word. Looks like only one system for me, and not until 2014 at the very earliest...

coldfoot

Banned
If this box really is Windows 8 based, I can honestly say I'm not going to give it a fair chance. I loathe Windows 8 in every sense of the word. Looks like only one system for me, and not until 2014 at the very earliest...
While Windows 8 is abysmal for desktops and laptops, Metro UI isn't bad to navigate with a controller in front of a big TV, except when it has giant ads everywhere of course.

Bsigg12

There is nothing wrong with Windows 8. I still don't understand the hate for Windows 8. All they did was turn the start button into a much more efficient screen that you can easily move out of with a button press.

Windu

never heard about the cat, apparently
When they mean windows 8 based, they mean WinRT based. WinRT is the new Windows Runtime. Windows Phone uses WinRT as well, although a little bit different. (in time they will be one and the same). Microsoft is essentially trying to build one large platform between the phone, the pc and the xbox. Perhaps in a few years devs will essentially have to write one application and adjust for the different inputs, display sizes etc... between the devices. The xbox will have its own UI, but beneath the surface it will be very similar to Windows 8 and Windows Phone 8.

Top Bottom