• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Polygon Rumor: Xbox 720 DRM, Achievements, Friendslist, and Share feature info

this is what I find genuinely weird. MS have been GREAT at using the media in the past, remember the 360 'leaks', screens from Kameo, abstract shots of the controller.

this time there's been a tone of negativity and MS have ignored it.

it does not instil confidence that they are in tune with the market at all.

It's the internet. Reacting to every rumor doesn't ever kill the rumor. Their best bet is to do the reveal the way they planned to all along.

Well, a lot of people (on NeoGAF) feel that the release of Kinect lead to a substantial dip in quality of MS first party games and an overall shift in vision that left "hardcore" gamers in the cold.

it also apparently led to an increase in sales making them the best seller in the US in the last two years...

What surprises me is the downright flaccid reaction the Xbox announcement reveal date is receiving.

I guess the negative rumors do impact people's outlook in some capacity.

What you have is people who have made up their mind without the Xbox reveal (who I assume were not MS fans to begin with). Plus, Sony fans are excited with the PS4 specs and all, MS fans are waiting to actually see what is revealed.

Bgamer90

Banned
Not if you can do the games portion just as well as your competitor, while offering a better package overall, no. I think thats very unfair for people to jump to that conclusion before MS's console has even been revealed. Speculating is great fun and everyone loves to do it, but proclaiming a "side" before we even know anything official from this console is just mind boggling to me, and surely to many others as well

As I said in another thread, using a console's last years to say how its successor will be at launch is very shortsighted. Two different groups of people being targeted.

Hardcore gamers buy consoles early. The reason why the 360 went in a different approach during these past 2-3 years was because many gamers already owned a 360. The people who didn't own a 360 were people who would be interested in things like kinect. MS wanted the 360 to continue on selling well -- can't do that if you are always targeting the people who already own one.

The 360 isn't the first console to go for a more casual focus during the late part of the gen. All successful consoles do it for the most part (see NES, SNES, Genesis, PSone, PS2). Heck, Sony tried doing it with the PS3. I guess one could say that them failing kinda worked out though since they currently have the full trust of hardcore gamers on forums (a minority group; therefore I don't think that it will matter much as both next gen systems will be getting many same or similar games).

I guess the reason as to why MS gets so much heat for gamers on forums is because they were actually VERY successful with branching out into other demographics -- therefore making them give those said areas more attention than they did previously with hardcore gamers on forums reacting to it in a similar fashion to how an older sibling thinks their younger brother or sister is getting 100% of the attention from their parents.

twobear

sputum-flecked apoplexy
Wat. The 360's last 3 years have been crappy? Pass the bowl, I want some of that lol.

Compared with the middle of the 360's life, I don't think it's unreasonable to say that the last few years have not been all that great. Factoring in things like the 360 versions of most multiplatform games in the middle of the generation being better than the PS3 versions, too. It's something I've felt myself, and it's partly why I packed my 360 away and bought a PS3 last year.

Having said that, I do think the internet is prone to hyperbole. I don't think the 360's past few years have been absolutely awful, as some people seem to think.

Please tell me Xbox Next isn't region locked? Being a japanese xbox owner is expensive. If I have to do the same shit for next box as I did with last gen I'll just buy a fucking PS4. Fuck Microsoft!

The achievement change to allow for developers to add their own in time is fine... In an open world game it would allow for a lot of small achievements which I'd like. The cross platform, cross game, ad achievents I just don't care about so... They have no effect on me.

Izick

The 360 was awesome last year because of Witcher 2 alone. As someone who only owns PS360 and isn't into PC gaming, getting an awesome PC exclusive like that was fantastic. CDPR made the best Bioware RPG of this generation.

Hope they don't waste one cent in Japan. Everything they spend there is a waste. They have to shift the market to be all of Asia and not Japan.

Izick

Hope they don't waste one cent in Japan. Everything they spend there is a waste. They have to shift the market to be all of Asia and not Japan.

I wouldn't be surprised. Microsoft tried a lot of shit this generation to try and get the Japanese audiences interested, I mean I don't think anyone would deny that. Games like Blue Dragon and Lost Odyssey were games that really fascinating, but never translated into Japanese sales. I still think that for video games, the typical Japanese gamer (besides a very small minority) will never buy a console from a non-Japanese company.

That's why I was excited when someone jokingly mentioned SEGA re-branding Microsoft's next Xbox in Japan as the SEGA Spectrum, because I think that could actually work. The Xbox and Microsoft names are just not going to work when it comes to Japanese gamers.

njean777

As I said in another thread, using a console's last years to say how its successor will be at launch is very shortsighted. Two different groups of people being targeted.

Hardcore gamers buy consoles early. The reason why the 360 went in a different approach during these past 2-3 years was because many gamers already owned a 360. The people who didn't own a 360 were people who would be interested in things like kinect. MS wanted the 360 to continue on selling well -- can't do that if you are always targeting the people who already own one.

The 360 isn't the first console to go for a more casual focus during the late part of the gen. All successful consoles do it for the most part (see NES, SNES, Genesis, PSone, PS2). Heck, Sony tried doing it with the PS3. I guess one could say that them failing kinda worked out though since they currently have the full trust of hardcore gamers on forums (a minority group; therefore I don't think that it will matter much as both next gen systems will be getting many same or similar games).

I guess the reason as to why MS gets so much heat for gamers on forums is because they were actually VERY successful with branching out into other demographics -- therefore making them give those said areas more attention than they did previously with hardcore gamers on forums reacting to it in a similar fashion to how an older sibling thinks their younger brother or sister is getting 100% of the attention from their parents.

I think another reason hardcore gamers left the ms camp is due to them charging for online as well as not trying to push any new ip's. Sony this whole gen (whether they have been good or not) have been pushing and making new ip's MS hasn't. Still even when the ps4 is announced and coming out this fall Sony is still bringing out new ip's on the ps3. There is something to be said about that. Also ps+ has shown that it is far more worth paying for then live is. Live isn't the best online service anymore, hasn't been for the last 2 years. Putting free apps elsewhere behind a paywall is a good way to be seen as greedy.

The same can be said for Sony. LBP karting, PSAll stars and the new Sly Cooper aren't exactly beacons of quality.

True they may have not been for everyone, but at least they are actually trying out new ip's. Except for sly that isn't new.

rigel137

Banned
I kinda wish the Xbox can also be my home server. My primary PC right now is office-issued laptop. Too lazy to buy desktop and configure it as a server. An XBox that can function as an extremely easy to setup server would be awesome. Kinda like my own private cloud

Izick

The last years are never the greatest in the quality+quantity equation. There's usually a few great games, or just a lot of mediocre ones.

Microsoft still seems interested in having exclusives on their platform; Halo 4, Gears of War Judgement, and Forza Horizon are all pretty good games, but you can tell that there's been a clear shift in focus at Microsoft towards the future console.

Sony still has The Last of Us, Beyond 2 Souls, and possibly Gran Turismo 6, which shows that they're still trying to push a lot of PS3 hardware sales by bringing stellar (or expected to be stellar in this case) content on the platform.

Now, the real question I wonder is how all of this will affect next-gen hardware sales. Sony seems to still be bringing some big guns for the PS4, but at the same time it's a really hard sell because you have these beautiful PS3 games like B2S that look AMAZING, brushing up against the launch date, likely within a month and some days. Who knows when GT6 comes out, but it'll be a huge hit as well, as it always is. The biggest problem is that there's not even incentive to upgrade to the PS4, because there's no BC.

This could definitely hurt Microsoft as well, the PS3 that is, but at least Microsoft knows all of its competition comes from Sony. They need to create a console that has day-1 must-have games because of how amazing the PS3 looks as a deal this holiday. Not to mention it has to combat what will probably be a good to great launch line-up by Sony with the PS4.

So I'm really curious to see what happens. Microsoft shifting a ton of resources and getting developer talent for the next Xbox might be the best thing in its own interests going forward.

mocoworm

I guarantee not one person at MS has thought about what happens when a game has a licenced soundtrack in this scenario, so it will get probably pulled or restricted to an MS owned video site at the last seond.

They will just do different licensing agreements with next-gen to cover social share.

Leflus

True they may have not been for everyone, but at least they are actually trying out new ip's. Except for sly that isn't new.
PS Allstars and LBP Karting aren't new IPs either. It's nice that they tried to do something new with their old IPs though.

I don't know about LBP Kart as I've never played it but All Stars was a lot of fun. :/

I'm not saying the game is garbage. But it's clearly a B-team game, Like the new Twisted Metal it's not comparable to Uncharted or God of War and certainly doesn't represent Sony at its finest. Not every main Sony exclusive is a AAA title but you don't see no one saying that Sony quality of games is declining since the Move was announced. Which may be true but it's not because of the move but rather because the Gen is ending.

Ghost

Chili Con Carnage!
I really hope the live changes are true, since the 360 launched we've heard that they can't make certain changes (like friend list size) because of decisions they made right back at the very start so Xbox Live getting up to date with how social networks work now is probably the most exciting thing about their next console for me.

Please tell me Xbox Next is region locked? Being a japanese xbox owner is expensive. If I have to do the same shit for next box as I did with last gen I'll just buy a fucking PS4. Fuck Microsoft!

I honestly will be suprised if they launch in japan within the first year at all, if ever.

with supply constraints always going to be a problem, it makes no sense to bother with a market that just isnt interested in a western console.

people are constantly laughing at the wiiU and vitas sales but the 360 sometimes sells >200 a week in japan.

Izick

I mean they fucking got Sakaguchi to make exclusive games for them. I really don't know why Microsoft would even try unless they somehow got Monster Hunter to be an exclusive, which ain't gonna' happen.

Sources tell Polygon that the current version of the next-gen console includes a next-gen approach to video sharing, anti-piracy protection, social networking and a massive expansion of the Xbox 360's popular achievement system.

Microsoft is also trying to come up with a system for video sharing though all of the details are still being locked down. According to our sources, currently the next Xbox will capture your gameplay as if it were a DVR, allowing you to go back and select highlights. That function can be turned on or off, or a player can set up the console to automatically capture a recording when certain in-game events occur, like a headshot or collecting a specific achievement. Auto capturing those "magic moments" will be a feature only available on next-gen games.
Those videos can then be uploaded directly from the console to social sites, like YouTube, for sharing.
Quote:

This could be a huge feature. Microsoft also owns Skype. We know the PS4 will also push video sharing. It may also be a great way of reporting other player behavior because now you will have proof. I would like to see the community evolve, mature and just respect one another more. People often though linking Facebook would help but there are millions of fake accounts out there and I also respect people's right to privacy. I think the Xbox 360 did a piss-poor job at rating it's members with a 5 star rating system. The different gamer type categories weren't enforced either.

The next-generation Live won't have a cap on the number of friends a person can have. The way players add friends will also change. Now instead of it being a two-way friendship only, people can choose to follow one another, sort of like Twitter.

Makes sense. I know I've added friends of friends before. It will be cool too because you're likely to have highlight reels attached to your portfolio. It may even indicate how many followers you have which will strengthen your online rating status.

I wouldn't be surprised. Microsoft tried a lot of shit this generation to try and get the Japanese audiences interested, I mean I don't think anyone would deny that. Games like Blue Dragon and Lost Odyssey were games that really fascinating, but never translated into Japanese sales. I still think that for video games, the typical Japanese gamer (besides a very small minority) will never buy a console from a non-Japanese company.

That's why I was excited when someone jokingly mentioned SEGA re-branding Microsoft's next Xbox in Japan as the SEGA Spectrum, because I think that could actually work. The Xbox and Microsoft names are just not going to work when it comes to Japanese gamers.

It may have taken Microsoft to buy Sega to get the Japanese gamer to take the Xbox more seriously. I just don't see things changing with the new Xbox. It would have to do amazingly well all around the world for them to jump onboard. I'm sure even Apple took some convincing before they stopped buying Sony MP3 players.

I don't see Microsoft being as aggressive in Japanese exclusive content. As long as they keep getting Japanese publishers to support the system that's far more important.

jaypah

I kinda wish the Xbox can also be my home server. My primary PC right now is office-issued laptop. Too lazy to buy desktop and configure it as a server. An XBox that can function as an extremely easy to setup server would be awesome. Kinda like my own private cloud

That's pretty much guaranteed. Well I should say that it was guaranteed to be their strategy according to the old leak (Yukon I think?). I think MS will still push it hard but I'm concerned with how much freedom it will have. If it's only stuff that's associated with their "Xbox media" initiative (Xbox Music, Xbox Video, etc.) then it does me no good.

I remember the early days when people said, I might as well get the 360 versions for the achievements. So vastly improved Achievements and social elements will be very welcome. After all great online options is the very core of Xbox.

Izick

I was just thinking, what if Microsoft had Rare developing new IP's, but they handed some (or all) of Rare's old IP's off to Twisted Pixel? I feel like TP could potentially make an awesome Conker, Banjo, or maybe even Killer Instinct game.

I think their humor could mesh really well with the basic ideas of Conker.

It may have taken Microsoft to buy Sega to get the Japanese gamer to take the Xbox more seriously. I just don't see things changing with the new Xbox. It would have to do amazingly well all around the world for them to jump onboard. I'm sure even Apple took some convincing before they stopped buying Sony MP3 players.

I don't see Microsoft being as aggressive in Japanese exclusive content. As long as they keep getting Japanese publishers to support the system that's far more important.

Agreed.

Alx

Depends on if the game is built around them

How can a game be built around them ? Achievements are like an external observer of the game events, they're the one being built around the game, not the other way around.

Izick

Yeah, I'm disgusted with this achievement system I know nothing about!

Come on, are you for real? We literally have no idea how this is going to be implemented, what enhancements they've made over the 360's achievements, or really anything about them besides the option of developers being able to put in additional ones, or cross-game ones.

Rapstah

Come on, are you for real? We literally have no idea how this is going to be implemented, what enhancements they've made over the 360's achievements, or really anything about them besides the option of developers being able to put in additional ones, or cross-game ones.

It's almost like people are complaining about those two things and not the things we don't know about!

spekkeh

Banned

Achievement systems are loathsome in any form.

in the age of the internet that would never work... The second word got out it would be a tainted brand (in Japan)... Pointless.

make a small quiet RELIABLE console. The disc scratching of Xbox 1 and the RROD reinforced a lot of negative perceptions.

Izick

in the age of the internet that would never work... The second word got out it would be a tainted brand (in Japan)... Pointless.

make a small quiet RELIABLE console. The disc scratching of Xbox 1 and the RROD reinforced a lot of negative perceptions.

In Japan? You really think that's why the Xbox brand doesn't sell well at all there? Anything is going to enforce the negative perceptions, because the Japanese markets just don't want to play a console that isn't Japanese. (Also, I don't remember any Xbox 1 disc scratching issues; at least nothing major.)

Top Bottom