• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Polygon Rumor: Xbox 720 DRM, Achievements, Friendslist, and Share feature info

jaypah

because people think companies hate money. Microsoft won't pay the amount necessary to counteract the loss of sales from the other console.

? That wasn't about moneyhats. It was about publishers going with MS because they have an easy way to implement DRM, thus publishers don't have to worry about used games. I don't have an opinion on whether or not pubs would make more money on one closed, new games only platform vs. 2 platforms where one supports used games. I would assume the 2 platform choice would still be more lucrative but I'm not a business man.

Izick

If publishers are smart they will have online verification on install. (like steam)

I don't see this being a burden, if they opt for always online though they need a kick in the balls.

That's not a bad compromise. I'm all for preventing piracy, but DRM usually ends up hurting the actual people who buy the game way more.

? That wasn't about moneyhats. It was about publishers going with MS because they have an easy way to implement DRM, thus publishers don't have to worry about used games. I don't have an opinion on whether or not pubs would make more money on one closed, new games only platform vs. 2 platforms where one supports used games. I would assume the 2 platform choice would still be more lucrative but I'm not a business man.

Exclusivity largely died because multiplat makes more money than single plat despite used game sales. I don't think that is going to change next gen. It just means one side of the fence might be more open ended as far as player choice goes, and that could go a looong way to win mind-share.

Into

Polygon has gotten a pretty negative reputation, largely because of Aegis and his..."antics". But they were smart enough to cover for themselves:

Under Microsoft's current guidelines, which may still be changed, the decision of whether a game will require an internet connection to work and if that is a one-time authentication or a constant connection, will be left up to individual publishers.

They are, with VG leaks i believe the only 2 sites that have not claimed outright always online requirement for the next Xbox. EDGE seemed pretty damn certain of their information, they unlike Polygon, left nothing to interpretation, no "safe nets" to fall back up. The only thing EDGE was wrong about was the PS4 ram, as they reported 4 instead of 8.

Either they got legitimate sources or are simply stirring the pot by reporting the opposite of what almost everyone else has been reporting on

Does not matter, as we will know the truth soon enough.

Polygon has gotten a pretty negative reputation, largely because of Aegis and his..."antics". But they were smart enough to cover for themselves:

They are, with VG leaks i believe the only 2 sites that have not claimed outright always online requirement for the next Xbox. EDGE seemed pretty damn certain of their information, they unlike Polygon, left nothing to interpretation, no "safe nets" to fall back up. The only thing EDGE was wrong about was the PS4 ram, as they reported 4 instead of 8.

Either they got legitimate sources or are simply stirring the pot by reporting the opposite of what almost everyone else has been reporting on

They weren't exactly wrong on this either.

CookTrain

Polygon has gotten a pretty negative reputation

Another reason for their negative rep? ... they cut a pretty big cheque from Microsoft when they started up. Whether that adds more credibility, because they're in someone's pocket, or less... because they're in someone's pocket, who can say?

Router

Hopsiah the Kanga-Jew
The way the article says that these different options are supported and that they now have greater control than before seems to indicate that Microsoft is providing and supporting the framework for options that was not there before.

In which case, I interpret the difference between Microsoft and Sony to be something like:

drmvzjf9.png

If true, then a publisher may not want to put all the effort into setting it up themselves on PS4, since now there is one less console to justify that effort and cost. Yet with it being easier to do on the next Xbox, they still might go ahead and use Microsoft's solution there.

As much as I'm not enjoying the prospect of not being able to play (some) games offfline, I can see how publisher friendly Microsofts approach is.

Globox_82

Banned

most of this rumors are BS. there is no "source". it's the site, the editor(s) that come up with it just to get hits. didn't former 1up guys admit that they did that crap with their "rumor" section? It's really easy to make up stories if you are one of this bigger sites, and even if they miss, who cares people are fast to forger. and if they guess right (most of the time since rumor is based on someone elses rumor or common sense) they become "legit" with "history".

While somone is laughing their ass off.

Into

most of this rumors are BS. there is no "source". it's the site, the editor(s) that come up with it just to get hits. didn't former 1up guys admit that they did that crap with their "rumor" section? It's really easy to make up stories if you are one of this bigger sites, and even if they miss, who cares people are fast to forger. and if they guess right (most of the time since rumor is based on someone elses rumor or common sense) they become "legit" with "history".

While somone is laughing their ass off.

Oh i know many of them make stuff up, which makes it even more difficult to discern who actually even has a source, and who is straight up making things up like you said for hits.

My point was that EDGE threw no safety net down when they months ago posted their news about the always online requirement for the next Xbox, while Polygon has not only written a slightly confusing article that contradicts itself in the same paragraph but also covers their own behinds by saying
Under Microsoft's current guidelines, which may still be changed

Which makes their report flismy, they seem uncertain, either in their "source" or they are just guessing.

Guess its not worth trying to dig deeper into, we will get the news soon enough and maybe some of us will look back and maybe question some of these sites and their credibility.

Izick

So I was really bored today, so for some reason I wanted to check if they had any demos for Rare's older 360 games. I downloaded the Perfect Dark Zero demo, and all I can do is think how awesome it could have been if Microsoft would given more time to develop it. There are a lot of interesting ideas, a lot of the guns feel good, the design for Joanna looks really good, but there's just so many things that you can tell just weren't thought out enough, or given enough time. Just not enough polish.

I'm not sure how much has to do with FPS's really becoming a different beast since 2005, and how much is related to the game's own merits, but I honestly hope Rare gets another crack at this series, because I think if they weren't rushed to make a game like they were with PDZ, they could make a really great Perfect Dark again.

It's probably the least likely Rare series ever to get another game, but a man can dream.

The whole evolution on the achievements sounds fantastic. I was actually thinking about if something like that would come out for the current consoles.

Green Yoshi

It's like Raccoon eh SimCity all over again. ^^

I think that all games for the upcoming generation will be binded to an account (Gamertag) in order to block used games, but only a few games will require a permanent internet connection.

Dali

Another reason for their negative rep? ... they cut a pretty big cheque from Microsoft when they started up. Whether that adds more credibility, because they're in someone's pocket, or less... because they're in someone's pocket, who can say?

I felt it gives them more credibility in this instance. MS paid them to be a mouthpiece so when I see MS news out of Polygon I feel like it should be accurate.

vdo

We have to compare... how much an exclusive game would sell as a new copy versus how much a game would sell on two platforms even with used games.

I'm personally guessing the difference is in favour of multi-platform somehow people think it'd go the other way though.

I think they would still go multiplat regardless, as well.

Event if they ended up deciding to use DRM on one platform, it's not like they'd be making $0 on the other. With the platforms seeming to be so easy to port between, they would just be leaving money on the table if they didn't publish to the other.

The achievements sound cool to me. Some will be stupid but I think it'd be neat to have special achievements for maybe playing every game from a developer or something like getting an A+ rank character in every Capcom fighter. That type of stuff sound cool to me. I'm sure there will be some dumb stuff, but I'll just skip that.

It'd also be cool to get achievements for other stuff. Zune is long dead, but me and a friend had one and one pretty cool thing about it is that you got Zune achievements for listening to music. Apps getting achievements could be fun too.

Worst comes to worst, you can totally ignore them.

Izick

The achievements sound cool to me. Some will be stupid but I think it'd be neat to have special achievements for maybe playing every game from a developer or something like getting an A+ rank character in every Capcom fighter. That type of stuff sound cool to me. I'm sure there will be some dumb stuff, but I'll just skip that.

It'd also be cool to get achievements for other stuff. Zune is long dead, but me and a friend had one and one pretty cool thing about it is that you got Zune achievements for listening to music. Apps getting achievements could be fun too.

Worst comes to worst, you can totally ignore them.

My thoughts exactly. They can do some really interesting things, and the shit can just be avoided. I've never cared about getting every single achievement, but I like the achievement system for the most part.

Why to people think a game will always online on 1 platform then can offline play on other if both have choice?easier or not it doesn't really matter,if they want always online,every platform will,if not,every platform won't

2.5 You can say,kotaku changed to "not sure" now

With the next Xbox, developers and publishers will be able to add more achievements to a game after launch, without the need to add DLC. This is designed specifically to allow developers to tweak player behavior, perhaps urging players to check out specific areas of a game or get past a difficult spot. Next-gen achievements can also be tied to broader events, like a weekend challenge or a communal goal, like contributing a set number of kills to the bigger goal of 10,000 kills over one weekend. Companies can also create cross-title achievements, like awarding points for finishing the first chapter in two different and unrelated games published by the same company. Some of these bigger, cross-title, communal achievements will be a requirement for all titles.

Yes to all of this. I'm getting very hyped, the idea of bringing Achievements to a new level sounds pretty damn good to me.

boldstate-hype-train.png

Edit:

My thoughts exactly. They can do some really interesting things, and the shit can just be avoided. I've never cared about getting every single achievement, but I like the achievement system for the most part.

Absolutely. I enjoy getting achievements, watch my score grow over the time, compared them/See which they have which they lack/ask and give tips, The whole Rivalry when you and a friend are playing the same game, who will get 1000 first?!! I even like Sharing some of them on Facebook, though it's a rarity.

Yeah I'm sure they specified, "This is Halo 4 money. Outside of that you can be objective."

So...it was for advertising Halo 4?

If they choose to be a MS leaning site, that's on them, but there's not much evidence to suggest that they are in the pockets of MS due to that ad money. I'm sure sites like IGN, etc also received handsome amounts for their advertising of Halo 4, so to single one out is a little ridiculous.

jbug617

Banned
So...it was for advertising Halo 4?

If they choose to be a MS leaning site, that's on them, but there's not much evidence to suggest that they are in the pockets of MS due to that ad money. I'm sure sites like IGN, etc also received handsome amounts for their advertising of Halo 4, so to single one out is a little ridiculous.

I'm sure sites get ad money from game companies. I believe Giantbomb had a Far Cry 3 ads on their site.

I'm sure sites get ad money from game companies. I believe Giantbomb had a Far Cry 3 ads on their site.

Exactly. I do concede that Polygon don't do themselves any favours with their MS leanings, but I find the idea of singling them out as being in the pockets of MS because of ad money a little silly.

Satchel

Banned
Exactly. I do concede that Polygon don't do themselves any favours with their MS leanings, but I find the idea of singling them out as being in the pockets of MS because of ad money a little silly.

Especially given IGN are now essentially a Sony PR tool.

Even the Xbox podcast became a PS4 podcast after the PS4 reveal lol.

Especially given IGN are now essentially a Sony PR tool.

Even the Xbox podcast became a PS4 podcast after the PS4 reveal lol.

There's no evidence that IGN is a Sony PR tool. A lot of NA sites were sickeningly pro Microsoft last generation. 1UP was the primary culprit before getting disbanded and Polygon filled their shoes. Just because the Xbox podcast discussed the PS4 that doesn't mean anything. Chances are, the Playstation podcast will, guess what, discuss the Durango unveil on their podcast. People are excited about next gen hardware--that's all. Polygon is the least reputable gaming publication in the industry. Even less so than "official" magazines and even less than Kotaku.

Dali

Polygon are the ones that made a made a point to say how innovative, awesome and different from any other gaming website they were going to be while using a $750000 dollar grant from MS to produce this self-promotional video. I didn't single them out. They did.

There's no evidence that IGN is a Sony PR tool. A lot of NA sites were sickeningly pro Microsoft last generation. 1UP was the primary culprit before getting disbanded and Polygon filled their shoes. Just because the Xbox podcast discussed the PS4 that doesn't mean anything. Chances are, the Playstation podcast will, guess what, discuss the Durango unveil on their podcast. People are excited about next gen hardware--that's all. Polygon is the least reputable gaming publication in the industry. Even less so than "official" magazines and even less than Kotaku.
A bit harsh there, I understand that most of the people on Gaf hate Polygon for whatever inane ass-backwards reason there is, but they run alot of good high quality editorials on the industry. People need to remember that pretty much all of the news sites pick sides on one thing or another and where one may be leaning towards Sony, another may be leaning towards Microsoft.

Satchel

Banned

No doubt 1UP were pro Microsoft. I'd say Eurogamer leans that way too.

But IGN, over the last few years, have basically become a bunch of Sony fanboys with a few of them forced to cover Xbox and Nintendo.

Mainly because the guys who weren't fanboys (of Sony) like Cassamina are gone.

Hoo-doo

Banned
No doubt 1UP were pro Microsoft. I'd say Eurogamer leans that way too.

But IGN, over the last few years, have basically become a bunch of Sony fanboys with a few of them forced to cover Xbox and Nintendo.

Mainly because the guys who weren't fanboys like Cassamasina are gone.

This is sad. These people cover games, not consoles.

If the biggest news in gaming is the announcement of the PS4, then obviously the Xbox podcast is going to talk about that thing as well, and you'll see plenty of news coverage on the frontpage about it.
It's simply the stuff that's on people's mind, and stuff that everyone wants to read.

The Xbox announcement will be no different, depending on what MS has to show.
If you're not excited about the next-generation, you're in for a rough year when gaming websites are concerned.

twobear

sputum-flecked apoplexy
The amount of spin in the next-gen rumour threads would make a politician blush. It's so entertaining.

Satchel

Banned
This is sad. These people cover games, not consoles.

If the biggest news in gaming is the announcement of the PS4, then obviously the Xbox podcast is going to talk about that thing as well, and you'll see plenty of news coverage on the frontpage about it.
It's simply the stuff that's on people's mind, and stuff that everyone wants to read.

The Xbox announcement will be no different, depending on what MS has to show.
If you're not excited about the next-generation, you're in for a rough year when gaming websites are concerned.

Goes back to well before the PS4 reveal dude. The podcast thing was just an example.

I just stick to Kotaku AU now. They seem the most neutral and have the best layout.

Hoo-doo

Banned
Goes back to well before the PS4 reveal dude. The podcast thing was just an example.

I just stick to Kotaku AU now. They seem the most neutral and have the best layout.

Can you give me some examples of IGN being a Sony PR mouthpiece then?
Maybe it's the fact that Sony is still putting out big new IP's at the end of this generation instead of tapering of. There's actual new stuff to cover.

Satchel

Banned
Can you give me some examples of IGN being a Sony PR mouthpiece then?
Maybe it's the fact that Sony is still putting out big new IP's at the end of this generation instead of tapering of. There's actual new stuff to cover.

Sorry man. Its 11pm here and I'm on my phone.

The Uncharted 3 review is another example. I'd expect a "reputable" website not review a game like they're a forum fanboy.

Hoo-doo

Banned
Sorry man. Its 11pm here and I'm on my phone.

The Uncharted 3 review is another example. I'd expect a "reputable" website not review a game like they're a forum fanboy.

Come on son, that game has what, 20+ perfect scores from websites all around.
All of those are Sony PR mouthpieces?

I mean, if the review is poorly written that's another thing, but the game achieved nearly unanimous praise from almost every corner of the internet.

Satchel

Banned
Come on son, that game has what, 20+ perfect scores from websites all around.
All of those are Sony PR mouthpieces?

I mean, if the review is poorly written that's another thing, but the game achieved nearly unanimous praise from almost every corner of the internet.

When did I argue the score?

Read the review. Read the words. Its a PR release.

ciridesu

According to your logic, quite a few of IGN's reviews are PR releases (not that I argue against your view); for the other side of the spectrum you can read many other third-party games and MS-games e.g. Halo 4

The Uncharted review that you are pointing out isn't evidence for your "pro-Sony" -hypothesis, it reflects on from a much larger issue in game media.

Hoo-doo

Banned

Yeah, the review is very positive, obnoxiously so. The reviewer obviously loved the shit out of that game. He maybe even let hype get to him a bit too much as well.
Then again, there are dozens of similar reviews that sing the praises of U3 from similar sites.

If that's the single thing you're going to hang your hat on in the "IGN is a Sony PR mouthpiece" discussion though, you're really not making a great case.

Should be pointed out that IGN's Playstation team whilst generally fair reviewers are also insanely fanboyish in general comments/views. Its quite horrible to watch/read/listen to.

The head of their MS section attempted to have intercourse with a PS3 and Vita at a european convention too. Claiming to have fallen in love with them.

I would suggest ignoring the stuff you like/dislike instead of trying to force your opinion on them onto other people though. Thats just a waste of everyones discussion time.

Polygon is currently the only website at the moment that has a terribly one-sided slant to it from what I've been paying attention too.

I don't care - the industry is broken like that, just makes certain pieces of news like this appear more transparent to me than some people.

Did they ever comment on the 'sweet' Billy thing or did they continue to ignore it even though large sites like Yahoo picked it up?

Hoo-doo

Banned
Should be pointed out that IGN's Playstation team whilst generally fair reviewers are also insanely fanboyish in general comments/views. Its quite horrible to watch/read/listen to.

The head of their MS section attempted to have intercourse with a PS3 and Vita at a european convention too. Claiming to have fallen in love with them.

I would suggest ignoring the stuff you like/dislike instead of trying to force your opinion on them onto other people though. Thats just a waste of everyones discussion time.

What? A games journalist professing his love for anything other than Microsoft products? Someone warn the church elders!
You honestly feel like he should live in a Microsoft-only bubble because he has to write about that stuff?

Top Bottom