• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Polygon Rumor: Xbox 720 DRM, Achievements, Friendslist, and Share feature info

kadotsu

Banned
I hope they won't use the new extended friends list to create facebook like game design atrocities that require me to pester my friends to progress in a game. The DRM direction is disappointing but I'll reserve my judgment until I see it in action (if it is true at all in this form).

The big takeaway is that Sony was smart to go first to take the "innovator" role on obvious features like streaming and sharing.

Wouldn't that be stopping used games, though. I'm getting very confused with all this. Even if a console allows offline play, if you need a code to start the game, then it doesn't matter, right? This authentication thing would seem to be the big issue.

Just buy a used code for 5 10 15 dollars!

I agree, letting publishers have this control is very foreboding, but at the very least if Sony and Microsoft aren't gonna let themselves be scapegoats by enforcing system-level online-required functionality to play games. I can at least condemn publishers who do go foward with this stuff and hope to play the games of publishers who wouldnt do this (or who arent brave enough to do this if they are the ones who will catch the flack).

Mindwipe

Are you talking about the Zune? Because yeah, that sucked - and they've subsequently retooled the entire brand to be a streaming service (ala Spotify) with some unique-ish features (well, the Zune Pass was unique for it's time).

My point was that they would be familiar with licensing and I would've thought that they would've discussed it at some point, due to their familiarity with the entire concept of music licensing with their Zune (now Xbox Music) platform.

Microsoft had no lack of lawyers going into the Zune situation, but still built a product that they then tried to export, found that they couldn't even have possibly ever licenced internationally (because none of the collecting societies had reciprocal arrangements to allow them to licence the download functionality in it even if they were interested in doing so) and basically just shat themselves as the entire platform fell apart and died.

And yes, Microsoft is a big enough company that I'm very sure the same cock up could happen again.

Sean

Banned
So pretty much the same DRM approach as Sony, leaving it up to the publisher.

Pre-owned games block on PS4 is "a publisher decision"

GameSpot asked Sony Worldwide Studios boss Shuhei Yoshida in a quickfire Q&A not if PS4 would block used games but whether second hand games will require an activation code on the console.

His answer: “It's a publisher decision. We are not talking about it. Sorry.”

The friends lists and achievement improvements are welcome changes.

abadguy

Banned
That would be interesting.

Microsoft probably won't do it for first-party titles. Will EA and Activision? Probably not, as they'll be worried it will cut into sales.

Makes me not want to buy the system.

I have a suspicion PS4 will do the same. Hope I'm wrong. Already been thinking about going PC+WiiU exclusively, though.

No need to be suspicious, they flat out said they would.

Alx

Some people like completing games 100% and this just shits on them completely.

It's not THAT hard to understand.

Achievements are not meant to be a completion measurement. It's all in the name : achievement. The bigger ones are supposed to be an impressive feat, that not everybody can achieve, and that you can brag about.
I have no problem with "reach first place in the World leaderboard" achievements. Things like "finish the tutorial" are just fillers.

Radec

man, I was looking for the inevitable hilarious ride next gen.

come the fuck on microsoft! continue with that always online thing!

they will have to come clean and say, "NO never will we be offering games that needs a online connection to be able to work for single player games etc" if they want me to buy this new xbox. Cause What if 2 years down the line when everyone paid for a 720 and publishers force always online down our throats?

This has to be very clear for me to even consider a 720.
Yep. Just means far less incentive to be an early adopter. I want to see how this shakes out over time.

Once you've invested enough in the platform they can very easily turn the screws.

TriGen

That video sharing stuff sounds awesome.

Agreed. When I first heard people suggesting this well before the PS4 reveal -- I got excited. Once Sony officially announced it I was thrilled because I knew this would essentially become standard and Microsoft would follow suit.

One feature no-one has talked about yet, but I hope they are considering is game gifting and the 4 pack purchasing that's become popular on Steam.

Too much to hope it will come to consoles?

Alx

It will be used to extort more money from consumers. If there's a nickel to be made, they'll squeeze it out :\

It will be used as an incentive for gamers to play more games, like the current achievement system. If it's done correctly, it's not a bad thing, because we like playing games. If it's not, just ignore it, like all the other silly achievements that are not worth the time/energy they require.

Mindwipe

You pretend like Sony didn't just shut off there online for a month cause of hackers. Talk about disasters.

Sony have also made similar messes, no doubt.

I do note that Sony were quite cagey about how the share functionality will work - they certainly didn't mention YouTube. It wouldn't surprise me if that ended up in a similar way, maybe with (hopefully with) sharing to social sites being links or embeds from a Sony video service that could obtain the neccessary licences.

pelican

Without hearing more details it really is impossible to say. However the achievement system sounds possibly messy.

They way I read it a certain percentage of achievements must be tied into specific events or cross game/platform. Why would that be an attractive proposition to the gamer, or the developer? It makes the system far to complicated.

I'm all for refining the achievement and trophy system, but this sounds like MS are trying to reinvent the wheel. And how often does that work out well?

No need to be suspicious, they flat out said they would.

So I see.

Of course, who sells their games with Online Pass? THQ...Activision...EA...and SONY. So there you go.

Thankfully MS doesn't even use an Online Pass with Halo.

So all the outrage about MS the last couple of months is because Durango is too much like PS4?

Will be interesting to see if the rumors are true.

twobear

sputum-flecked apoplexy

I do note that Sony were quite cagey about how the share functionality will work - they certainly didn't mention YouTube. It wouldn't surprise me if that ended up in a similar way, maybe with (hopefully with) sharing to social sites being links or embeds from a Sony video service that could obtain the neccessary licences.
Didn't they say it'll connect to Twitch to stream?

cyberheater

PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 Xbone PS4 PS4
Sony also said it was up to the publishers. So no PS4 for you.

But Sony did say it would allow used games on it's console. Are you saying that position has now changed and it's up the individual publishers to decide?

Ranger X

The next Xbox will allow publishers to decide if their games should require an internet connection to be played.

Excellent!
This will help me weed out even more games from my shopping list and make it easier on my wallet.

twobear

sputum-flecked apoplexy
But Sony did say it would allow used games on it's console. Are you saying that position has now changed and it's up the individual publishers to decide?
Forgive me if I'm misunderstanding, but Sony's saying they will allow used games is not equivalent to saying they'll require it. Only that there will not be a blanket prohibition. No?

pelican

You would imagine that You Tube will be part of it. I'm sure the functionality is already there in the PS3 to upload to You Tube, just few games support it.

Remember You Tube is Google. I think there is a better chance in hell freezing over than Google offering MS exclusive access to their service.

There is a good chance of Facebook, and You Tube integration. I know twitter wasn't mentioned back in Feb, but that could be down to several reasons e.g. a licensing deal hasn't been sorted yet. I know some of us though maybe it was due to MS getting exclusive rights, but again I don't see any of the major social sites edging their bets on one single platform. It goes against the "social" principle of the sites.

It will be interesting to see if any integrate Twitch at all. You can stream directly to Twitch via Origin.

PhatSaqs

Banned
All I need to know.

Can I make my own skateboard yet?

530nataluseowngear.jpg

Nemesis_

I thought there was a clash of responses from Sony about used games (ie. different things from different regional employees) and that Sony officially have remained pretty quiet about it all?

sangreal

Update: Speaking at a roundtable session with the press attended by Ars Technica, Shuhei Yoshida stated that "when you purchase the disc-based games for PS4, that should work on any hardware." When asked whether games would require online registration, Yoshida noted that that decision was up to the publisher. When asked if Sony, as a publisher, would require games to be registered online, Yoshida said, "we are not talking about that plan."

http://arstechnica.com/gaming/2013/02/sonys-yoshida-playstation-4-wont-block-used-games/

Talamius

You're probably right, but it's something that would be very useful and needs to happen. I hope it happens, if not at launch, then at some point within the first year or so.

4 pack pricing is one of the best ideas Valve has ever had.

* Publisher wins because you sell 4 copies guaranteed, even at the price of (usually) 3. Better to sell 4 copies at a slight discount than only 1 full price copy.
* Consumer wins because we all tend to play MP games in a circle of friends, and this allows us to do so slightly cheaper.

If Microsoft and Sony take anything away from Steam to use on their own services, it needs to be the 4 pack.

Top Bottom