• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Polygon Rumor: Xbox 720 DRM, Achievements, Friendslist, and Share feature info

pelican

MS wins again, yeay

You know MS will execute it better then sony. But sony will have better exclusives.

Yes because MS always execute functionality brilliantly. Pretend Windows 8 never happened:)

I'm not saying which one will be better. XBOX Live used to be slick, but the console interface as it stands is horrendous. Confusing, full of adverts and relies on "Bing".

How exactly would the auto-recording of specific achievements work? It would be trivial to make it start recording after you get it (and pointless), but I'm not sure how you could have the system always be able to recognize when you are entering a game state where achievement success is imminent.

Even for boss achievements or challenge mode type levels where it would be easy to recognize an 'attempt state', does it record every attempt you make or continually rewrite over one copy? Seeing just one successful attempt isn't always as fun as seeing the struggle to get there, but recording the whole session could take up enormous amounts of space.

I really hope they don't dilute the achievement system. It's actually a decent incentive to play games in other ways, I don't want them to just shove more of them just because a majority of people like it.

vg260

So in the end after all the freaking out, MS and Sony will probably have the same always-online policy: leave it up to publishers?

Riggs

Banned
How exactly would the auto-recording of specific achievements work? It would be trivial to make it start recording after you get it (and pointless), but I'm not sure how you could have the system always be able to recognize when you are entering a game state where achievement success is imminent.

Even for boss achievements or challenge mode type levels where it would be easy to recognize an 'attempt state', does it record every attempt you make or continually rewrite over one copy? Seeing just one successful attempt isn't always as fun as seeing the struggle to get there, but recording the whole session could take up enormous amounts of space.

Apparently it will be like a DVR, stays in the buffer or something so it can record appropriate moments.

Also your name is amazing.

Stuff with the achievements sounds pretty cool to me. Reason to put in an old game and check out something I hadn't really played with before.

Raide

Well, it pops up a box that knows your hit the markers, so just making it record that clip should be easy right? No doubt they are trying some constant recording thing, so telling it to clip those achievement bits out should be easy.

Not sure about that, but everything i have read here sounds a lot like what the PS4 is doing as well. From file share/recording stuff to the "letting publishers decide on DRM" thing.

Man I hate the term DRM. Why would anyone want their Rights "Managed" Digitally or otherwise? I respect a company's right to protect its ability to make money in general. But things swing to far these days. DRM isn't about piracy, it's about control. Buying something that I have less control over makes it considerably less valuable to me.

Ugh, I need to move to a shack in the woods and take up whittling.

RedSwirl

Here's one thing I'm interested in: What if Microsoft gave publishers the option of releasing digital games with no DRM at all?

Like, if certain companies wanted to, they could let customers copy and play those digital installs on whatever Xbox console or account (or Windows 8 device) they wanted to? I'm sure a lot of indie developers at least would be willing to do this.

PhatSaqs

Banned
Well, it pops up a box that knows your hit the markers, so just making it record that clip should be easy right? No doubt they are trying some constant recording thing, so telling it to clip those achievement bits out should be easy.
Love the idea of this. There's been plenty of times where I got an achievement and wished I could go back and look at it. Recording random moments isnt as interesting to me.

Riggs

Banned
Man I hate the term DRM. Why would anyone want their Rights "Managed" Digitally or otherwise? I respect a company's right to protect its ability to make money in general. But things swing to far these days. DRM isn't about piracy, it's about control. Buying something that I have less control over makes it considerably less valuable to me.

Ugh, I need to move to a shack in the woods and take up whittling.

At least you get it. Now we just have to convert everyone and start the revolution

Agree with what you said 100% btw.

RedSwirl

If it's up to developer choice, then all it takes is another SimCity or Diablo III-style disaster from EA or someone to put people off of it. Some people have been kind of dismissive whenever PC gamers bitch about DRM, but I'm interested in seeing what the reaction might be when someone tries to pull the same shit on console gamers.

Raide

Love the idea of this. There's been plenty of times where I got an achievement and wished I could go back and look at it. Recording random moments isnt as interesting to me.

It sounds like an expanded version of the camera pics idea from Burnout Paradise. Having the option through all games sounds pretty cool. While not highly original, I am sure MS will put their own spin on it, especially for community heavy games like CoD etc.

*Sets 720 to record all my no-scopes*

Liamario

Banned
The vast majority of anything new they offer on live can be emulated on PS4.
Of course, this works both ways, which is a good thing.

Raide

The vast majority of anything new they offer on live can be emulated on PS4.
Of course, this works both ways, which is a good thing.

I am really hoping, feature wise, both consoles share a parity. Its the games that should stand out.

Riggs

Banned
If it's up to developer choice, then all it takes is another SimCity or Diablo III-style disaster from EA or someone to put people off of it. Some people have been kind of dismissive whenever PC gamers bitch about DRM, but I'm interested in seeing what the reaction might be when someone tries to pull the same shit on console gamers.

The fires will burn .... oh yes, they will burn.

Here's one thing I'm interested in: What if Microsoft gave publishers the option of releasing digital games with no DRM at all?

Like, so I can torrent a file, throw it on a thumb drive and play it on my console without having to go through any console mods or formatting issues? Why would a publisher ever choose that option if it was made available? Who would that benefit exactly?

chubigans

y'all should be ashamed
I wonder if MS is going to have custom chips just for video recording, or they're going to require the OS to do it for them, which would leave less memory for games. Did any of the Durango leaks specify that?

Zemm

Something we've been hearing from Sony too. Why the fuck do platform holders let publishers decide these things and not just say: you either let that shit go or don't release your game at all. Why don't Sony and MS come together and make this an industry standard.

because both want an always online system to sell services, except they don't want an official always online system and the bad PR that brings. So they pass the buck to the publishers which allows sony/ms to say "hey, we aren't always online!" and we all know the big publishers can't wait to make their games always online. Smaller pubs will eventually go the same route, and both consoles will be completely useless offline.

Microsoft is also trying to come up with a system for video sharing though all of the details are still being locked down. According to our sources, currently the next Xbox will capture your gameplay as if it were a DVR, allowing you to go back and select highlights. That function can be turned on or off, or a player can set up the console to automatically capture a recording when certain in-game events occur, like a headshot or collecting a specific achievement. Auto capturing those "magic moments" will be a feature only available on next-gen games.

The way this is phrased sort of implies backwards compatibility. Like, "hey, you can play 360 games on the system as well, but you don't get the fancy new OS features like this". Unless they think someone assumed this feature was going to be developed for the Xbox 360, why even have this line.

Then again, every single Durango rumor has the problem of being somewhat ambiguous and open to interpretation, so whatever.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
I wonder if MS is going to have custom chips just for video recording, or they're going to require the OS to do it for them, which would leave less memory for games. Did any of the Durango leaks specify that?

There was a video block on the diagram.

B.O.O.M

hnnggg... this really reads like a PR piece from MS.

I shall never click on a polygon link again.

I thought I might be paranoid...good to see I'm not the only one who felt that way lol

Either way leaving it up to the publishers is better than the previous rumors. It still sucks but this way I can just say f u to the publishers who make use of it (for the ps4 as well

Achievements are not meant to be a completion measurement. It's all in the name : achievement. The bigger ones are supposed to be an impressive feat, that not everybody can achieve, and that you can brag about.
I have no problem with "reach first place in the World leaderboard" achievements. Things like "finish the tutorial" are just fillers.

The 360 shows you how many games you have 100% completion in, though. Some people like having as many games as they can appear on that list.

Des0lar

will learn eventually
Like, so I can torrent a file, throw it on a thumb drive and play it on my console without having to go through any console mods or formatting issues? Why would a publisher ever choose that option if it was made available? Who would that benefit exactly?

Ever heard of gog.com?

Tripolygon

Banned

A better solution would be a constant recording of up to 10 or more minutes of gameplay in the background ala PS4 and telling the responsible API to clip 1 minute of said moments of achievements after you get a notification that you have achieved a trophy from that constant background recording.

So after the issues with first gen 360, who's still up to getting the nextbox before 1st revision?

IF anyone says they are, before any official announcement about the system, those people should be hung up by their toes...having said taht, anyone who says they are not without knowing anything about the system including games lineup, price, features, etc...should be given the same treatment.

If Microsoft offered a 10 year warranty on their console, why would you even think about hardware failure issues? Not saying they will, I'm just saying we don't know anything about it yet.

So after the issues with first gen 360, who's still up to getting the nextbox before 1st revision?

Day one or soon afterwards. I fully expect to be either forced or compelled (by added features or something like that) to get a newer revision a few years down the line anyway, so I embrace the risk wholeheartedly.

Leflus

They've had a lot more time to prepare this time around. The next Xbox is going to be a lot more reliable than the 360.

That said, improved reliability won't matter much to me if the console requires an Internet Connection.

Majanew

Banned
Yes because MS always execute functionality brilliantly. Pretend Windows 8 never happened:)

I'm not saying which one will be better. XBOX Live used to be slick, but the console interface as it stands is horrendous. Confusing, full of adverts and relies on "Bing".

It's not confusing. And it doesn't rely on Bing.

spwolf

it was always developer choice... they can do it on PS3 if they want right now...

which leads me to believe that MS changed their stance most likely based on feedback... which is good.

Top Bottom