• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Polygon: Xbox Scorpio will be a ~6 TFLOP system (v PS4K's 4.14), unveil soon, Fall 17

Venom Fox

Banned
The Neo's CPU is a bottleneck for sure, what a piece of crap that is.
They said there is another configuration with an upgraded CPU and they haven't decided which one to go for yet

Edit: And if the Xbox Scorpio has an upgraded CPU as rumours say, it'll be less likely it'll be a bottleneck.

Fafalada

Fafracer forever
gtj1092 said:
kept talking up Xbox 1 power and claimed ps4 wouldn't have a graphics advantage. And digital foundry did a series of articles/fluff pieces based off interviews of engineers from MS prior to launch.
All of that was in response to leaked specs showing XB1 as the weaker of the two. Some of the early stuff(before internet leaks even) had PS4 with a quad-core CPU and less memory, but GPUs were always positioned relatively the same as they ended up at launch.

Curufinwe

Okay, provide me with links where Microsoft talk about the Xbox One's power output prior to launch, detailing how powerful it will be. Just don't pull up a GAF thread from around that time as much like this thread it is all baseless speculation with no clarification from the manufacturers'.

You seem to be hell bent on a particular narrative which is based on nothing more than forum rumours lol.

When MS (and their cronies in the Media) talked about the the Xbone's power output before launch it was a concerted campaign of misinformation.

MaulerX

How many times to people need to be told that the external breakout box does nothing except act as a video splitter and process the binaural audio?

Wait, people are thinking that the external box is adding processing power to the PS4 to help with VR? Where is this misinformation coming from?

Venom Fox

Banned
Well lets hope they make the right decision..especially now with the powerful Xbox coming
That's what I'm hoping. Either way I hope they are both powerful machines that being us some worthwhile upgrades.

Remember that tech demo of the PS4 with a million physics based objects on screen... lmao.

How many times to people need to be told that the external breakout box does nothing except act as a video splitter and process the binaural audio?
It's not important the tasks it does, what matters is that those tasks are necessary and would take away performance from the game to the point supporting the high frame rate and resolution requirements would be impractical.

Mind you, audio processing can be quite resource heavy for a cpu.

darkinstinct

...lacks reading comprehension.
They said there is another configuration with an upgraded CPU and they haven't decided which one to go for yet

Edit: And if the Xbox Scorpio has an upgraded CPU as rumours say, it'll be less likely it'll be a bottleneck.

They also said the better CPU would put the SKU at 499. They won't do that.

Can't remember his name now but an executive had an account here on GAF and kept talking up Xbox 1 power and claimed ps4 wouldn't have a graphics advantage. And digital foundry did a series of articles/fluff pieces based off interviews of engineers from MS prior to launch.

OT: Hope they don't reveal this at E3 if it's not coming till next fall. Gives them time to make changes if needed before reveal.

It was Albert Penello who was peddling his "we invented DirectX" FUD claiming they would never give up a 40% performance difference. Digital Foundry also had a bad habit of uncritically repeating whatever their sources at MS said about how special their design was.

It's not important the tasks it does, what matters is that those tasks are necessary and would take away performance from the game to the point supporting the high frame rate and resolution requirements would be impractical.

Mind you, audio processing can be quite resource heavy for a cpu.
You're developing for PSVR? Or are you making baseless assumptions?

rpg_fan

The Neo's CPU is a bottleneck for sure, what a piece of crap that is.

But the scorpio cpu is another matter. We know even less about that, except that it's awesome.

Sorry, getting a little frustrated with the imaginary spec wars over un-announced consoles.

Wait, people are thinking that the external box is adding processing power to the PS4 to help with VR? Where is this misinformation coming from?

1. Because the box is called processing unit
2. Because press are indoctrinated to assume only high-end PCs can run VR, and that for PS4 (mid-tier GPU) to be able to do so, something gotta give

rpg_fan

Okay, provide me with links where Microsoft talk about the Xbox One's power output prior to launch, detailing how powerful it will be. Just don't pull up a GAF thread from around that time as much like this thread it is all baseless speculation with no clarification from the manufacturers'.

You seem to be hell bent on a particular narrative which is based on nothing more than forum rumours lol.

I'm not going to do your work for you, but read Albert Penello's posts during that time period. It was a mess. Maybe he wasn't intentionally lying, and just had bad information. We'll never know for sure. But he sure as hell wasn't giving out accurate information. Adding up the various memory bus speeds to make a number greater than ps4's was hilarious.

You're developing for PSVR? Or are you making baseless assumptions?

It's not baseless considering they went all the trouble into developing the box. It's not baseless considering also that both Ms and Sony went with weak sauce CPUs and said they would put specialized chips to ease the burden like sound.

The fact that Ps4 already has a chip helping processing sound and yet needs a new one to support the VR requirements already should tell you all you need about it.

Linkified

Ps4 by itself clearly is. That's why they have a separate box. And assuming ps4k will also need the box makes sense for them to not upgrade the cpu or even the gpu by all that much (the gpu it's seemingly a big upgrade on flop count, but other areas such as memory saw way more modest upgrades.

Since MS approach to VR is going to be using the rift, they can't use a similar processing box, so they need a beefier console for it, oculus itself has higher requirements than the psvr for instance, like resolution.

That is assuming that Microsoft is looking at a plug and play solution with Occulus Rift. I am expecting it will be like Gear VR branding: "Gear VR Powered by Occulus". So what you will have is Xbox VR Powered by Occulus. Occulus is the division not the headset. I don't think anyone is expecting the Rift to be plug and play with the Xbox Scorpio, based on these rumors.

It will be getting the gang at Occulus to create a headset that is an inbetween step between Gear VR and The Rift in terms of ease of use and power. If that means a breakout box to help out then so be it.

Perhaps you could share your crystal ball. It will play out like this gen with the first 18 months being stacked with cross gen, before they get dropped imo.

So you are telling me that the Neo/Scorpio's adopt rate will be faster than the PS4/X1 one, and that the OG X1/X1 slim/PS4 hardware sales will go downhill like the 360/PS3 did back in 2013.

Yeah, sorry if I'm being a bit sceptical about this highly unlikely scenario.

//DEVIL//

I have to ask. Why no other site reported this ? with the PS NEO many sited reported about it and all seems pretty spot on.

or Maybe other big sites reported this and i didn't pay attention ?

rpg_fan

MS has the same problem Sony does. Going from 28nm to 14 isn't a simple die shrink, they've got to redesign. Lots of money involved, may as well lay out your future hardware path at the same time.

Always remember, they're using the same chips and mostly the same suppliers. For one console to be radically more powerful there has to be a difference in build price.

My own predictions with a few days to think:

I expect this to be a full-on new gen for Microsoft, with forward compatibility happening from that point forward.

Backwards compatibility to xb1 would be handled by a uwa. The same uwa will handle xb1 on pc.

As such, I expect the xb1 library will be fully available on pc, as will future titles.

6tf seems reasonable after some thought, with roughly the same die space as xb1 uses. The esram going away will save some real estate.

It'll be priced as a premium model. Five hundred-ish sounds about right for basically a living room pc with windows 10. No cheap xb2's here, sorry. Xb1 slim will cover that market.

Conduit

Banned

I said : there was a doubt that Xbone will be more powerful than PS4 before conferences for both consoles. And of course, Sony and MS didn't said shit how powerful will be Xbone 720 and PS4 against each other too then. Same shit for Neo vs. Scorpio.

Durango, remember? Good? Good! You have bunch of links. Google it!

Well, the rest is history.

MaulerX

That is assuming that Microsoft is looking at a plug and play solution with Occulus Rift. I am expecting it will be like Gear VR branding: "Gear VR Powered by Occulus". So what you will have is Xbox VR Powered by Occulus. Occulus is the division not the headset. I don't think anyone is expecting the Rift to be plug and play with the Xbox Scorpio, based on these rumors.

It will be getting the gang at Occulus to create a headset that is an inbetween step between Gear VR and The Rift in terms of ease of use and power. If that means a breakout box to help out then so be it.

Honestly that's exactly what I'm expecting. Lol. I mean I don't see why not. Why create another headset just for Xbox when the current one could work just fine? But seriously, if they do create another headset just for Xbox, please make it with a higher resolution. I love my Rift but if there is one area that can definitely be improved is resolution.

My own predictions with a few days to think:

I expect this to be a full-on new gen for Microsoft, with forward compatibility happening from that point forward.

Backwards compatibility to xb1 would be handled by a uwa. The same uwa will handle xb1 on pc.

As such, I expect the xb1 library will be fully available on pc, as will future titles.

6tf seems reasonable after some thought, with roughly the same die space as xb1 uses. The esram going away will save some real estate.

It'll be priced as a premium model. Five hundred-ish sounds about right for basically a living room pc with windows 10. No cheap xb2's here, sorry. Xb1 slim will cover that market.

I also came to that kind of a conclusion.

It's not baseless considering they went all the trouble into developing the box. It's not baseless considering also that both Ms and Sony went with weak sauce CPUs and said they would put specialized chips to ease the burden like sound.

The fact that Ps4 already has a chip helping processing sound and yet needs a new one to support the VR requirements already should tell you all you need about it.
They developed the box because the PS4 only had a single hdmi output. Plus there's no point in processing binaural audio on the PS4 itself because it's only necessary for VR.

Linkified

Honestly that's exactly what I'm expecting. Lol. I mean I don't see why not. Why create another headset just for Xbox when the current one could work just fine? But seriously, if they do create another headset just for Xbox, please make it with a higher resolution. I love my Rift but if there is one area that can definitely be improved is resolution.

Why did Occulus create a separate device for Samsung, because it is from a tech perspective closed like you don't have different manufacturers building different Xbox's.

Zedox

I think that all games that are scheduled within the next year will be XDK/UWP games. But all new game development will be on the UWP. It's almost about guaranteeing PC games from 3rd parties because I don't think not one 1st party game will be console exclusive (even if it uses Kinect as you can have a PC use a Kinect).

One good thing that's going to come from this is the Windows Store and rating games. As consumers of Xbox games, we will be able to rate games and give feedback directly to the developers. Each game will have their own rating formed by the community. That's good feedback for users.

darkinstinct

...lacks reading comprehension.
They could push it as a premium device or they could just eat a little of the profit. Now that they know that Scorpio will be more powerful I expect Sony to push for the better SKU.

I expect Microsoft to learn from mistakes and build their next console for a 399 price point. If Sony goes for a better CPU and the higher price they will do what Xbox One did this gen, be 100 more expensive with weaker hardware. TBH I think it's more likely they drop Neo completely and go for a Scorpio spec device in early 2018 instead.

Venom Fox

Banned
I expect Microsoft to learn from mistakes and build their next console for a 399 price point. If Sony goes for a better CPU and the higher price they will do what Xbox One did this gen, be 100 more expensive with weaker hardware. TBH I think it's more likely they drop Neo completely and go for a Scorpio spec device in early 2018 instead.
There was rumours of Sony delaying until 2017 for Neo so you could be right. I don't know though. Time will tell...

gamz

2018? No freaking way.

PG2G

Why did Occulus create a separate device for Samsung, because it is from a tech perspective closed like you don't have different manufacturers building different Xbox's.

But the next Xbox is effectively a PC. Would be silly to create a VR headset that was exclusive to Xbox in anything more than branding.

Gear VR has completely different requirements than normal Oculus Rift. Makes sense that it is a unique device.

MaulerX

The Gear VR? The one that you have to slide in your cell phone? Come on now.

R

Rösti

Unconfirmed Member
I haven't been following this story too much. Has there been any update on Scorpio being unveiled during Microsoft's E3 2016 press conference, any new rumor on that?

gamz

Rösti;204976062 said:
I haven't been following this story too much. Has there been any update on Scorpio being unveiled during Microsoft's E3 2016 press conference, any new rumor on that?

Nothing concrete. Who knows??

MaulerX

He's talking about a different product from the Gear VR.

I understand. I just think that building a shell for a phone is not a good example that can be used as precedence for Oculus having built a proper headset for another company.

Zedox

What would be the downside if the new Xbox could play Rift of Vive?

I've said this a couple of times: Mary Jo Foley (longtime MS reporter only rivaled by Paul Thurrott, granted they are friends) has reported that we should look at Computex. There, Microsoft "may" talk about how Windows 10 works with VR "officially". Think about how Google has announced "Daydream" for Android VR, Microsoft may already have their version ready for Windows 10. How does that link to Xbox? Well, Xbox is nothing more than a Windows 10 device. This may be the reason why Rift may work with Xbox Scorpio, and could be a reason why Vive may work with it as well.

The only thing that we don't know or can figure out is how the Windows Store fits within this. Microsoft could make it where those devices could run their own stores and just have Xbox as the platform it runs on, or have it where the manufacturers worry about selling the devices and developers just use the Windows Store. There's other ways to do it but those are the two obvious ways. Computex is the next thing I'm looking forward to, and I think others should as well. It is before E3. I think it's either this week or next week.

gamz

I've said this a couple of times: Mary Jo Foley (longtime MS reporter only rivaled by Paul Thurrott, granted they are friends) has reported that we should look at Computex. There, Microsoft "may" talk about how Windows 10 works with VR "officially". Think about how Google has announced "Daydream" for Android VR, Microsoft may already have their version ready for Windows 10. How does that link to Xbox? Well, Xbox is nothing more than a Windows 10 device. This may be the reason why Rift may work with Xbox Scorpio, and could be a reason why Vive may work with it as well.

The only thing that we don't know or can figure out is how the Windows Store fits within this. Microsoft could make it where those devices could run their own stores and just have Xbox as the platform it runs on, or have it where the manufacturers worry about selling the devices and developers just use the Windows Store. There's other ways to do it but those are the two obvious ways. Computex is the next thing I'm looking forward to, and I think others should as well. It is before E3. I think it's either this week or next week.

If they have a separate stores how does that benefit MS in anyway. Just to say Xbox supports VR? Esp if the new Xbox is going to go full-on UWP.

Rösti;204976062 said:

If it's being unveiled 'soon,' and E3 is two weeks away, and Phil has said on twitter he can't wait to share the details on this interesting chatter, then I'd say you can't be faulted for thinking they'll say something at their E3 presser. I'd be shocked if they don't come out swinging with all they got.

Zedox

If they have a separate stores how does that benefit MS in anyway. Just to say Xbox supports VR?

Yes. As a possibility. If Xbox supports Vive and Rift. You would have more people who would be interested in getting an Xbox over a PS4/K since you already have people who have a Vive/Rift and the people who want to get a Vive/Rift. The people who are interested in VR games are interested in games in general, so most likely, if they want to get another game, they would get it on the console (otherwise, they have a PC and if they have a PC, they wouldn't have gotten the console in the first place). It's like having an item in the store to get people in the store to sell them other items other than the one they came in with. Granted I would say that MS would probably sell "store space" for Rift/Vive for the opportunity.

But like I said, that's a possibility.

Alx

I've said this a couple of times: Mary Jo Foley (longtime MS reporter only rivaled by Paul Thurrott, granted they are friends) has reported that we should look at Computex.

(...)

Computex is the next thing I'm looking forward to, and I think others should as well. It is before E3. I think it's either this week or next week.

Interesting. Is it this event ?

Microsoft will deliver a keynote on Wednesday June 1st at 2pm at the Taipei International Convention Center as part of our 14th annual presence at Computex. In the keynote titled “Enabling Modern Windows Devices & Experiences,” we will showcase a range of the latest OEM Windows 10 devices, new ways people can use them to achieve more, and the rich opportunity that Windows, Microsoft cloud, and productivity services are generating for the ecosystem. Three Microsoft executives will take stage: Nick Parker, corporate vice president, OEM Division, Terry Myerson, executive vice president, Windows & Devices Group, and Alex Kipman, technical fellow and inventor of Microsoft HoloLens. Read more details at the Windows Blog.

AmyS

I nearly forgot about this, and it makes a lot more sense now.

(July 2014)

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=852430

Microsoft job posts: Xbox industrial designer for next gen + software engineer

Industrial Designer - Microsoft Devices Group - Xbox Industrial Design

The Xbox Industrial Design studio is building a world class in house team. We love entertainment. We live for building transformative entertainment experiences that resonate with consumers. We are looking for passionate designers who want to help us create next generation entertainment hardware for Microsoft.

Primary Responsibilities
This is a design position within the Xbox industrial design studio. You will be joining a team that drives vision and product development for Xbox hardware programs. The right candidate will be a “hands on” individual contributor that will bring thought leadership, inspirational creative output, and passion to the Xbox entertainment space. In essence, this position requires nothing less than a “super creator”.

As an industrial designer you will collaborate with design team and bring inventive ideas which will have large impact across the Xbox Entertainment Business.

We expect a spontaneous and innovative creative process that takes advantage of consumer insight harvesting, inspiration way-finding, 3d sketching, prototyping, thoughtful consideration
of business needs, and understanding of technical considerations. Above all the candidate should have a portfolio that demonstrates the ability to design soulful product experiences that delight consumers.

Senior Software Development Engineer

The Xbox Platform Developer Experience team is hiring! We own the core development tools for the Xbox console platform, and we serve as a driving advocate for the end-to-end developer customer experience across the program. We are looking for an exceptional SDE to help us take game development tools to the next level.

Game developers, from AAA studios to Indie shops, have unique and exacting needs. Just think about the factors involved: Game titles are only growing in cost and complexity with each new generation. These days the projects will involve scores of engineers and hundreds of artists. They have budgets and production values that rival Hollywood blockbusters. They have 10’s of gigabytes of content, code tuned to get the utmost from our platform, and holiday release dates that won’t move.

The Xbox ecosystem only thrives if these partners succeed. Our goal is to help them make better games, faster.

Those jobs were posted almost two years ago, and less than a year after XB1/PS4 launched.It's pretty obvious that was for Scorpio.

__

Also, lets go back (way back) - The leaked Xbox 360 system diagram from spring 2004 when it was still known only as Xenon.

Vv2zV20.gif

Biggest thing that changed was the RAM doubled from 256MB to 512MB. The CPU clock wasn't quite that high. Shows 3.5 GHz, ended up 3.2 GHz.

I hope the equivalent for Scorpio also leaks, and soon -- If Microsoft doesn't tell all at E3.

Top Bottom