• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Polygon's marathon Xbox One live stream

drproton

Don't most people have at least one more controller? I always have my second controller charged and ready to go. Besides I find swapping controllers every time I play extends their life significantly, which I do for both my 360 and ps3 controllers.

Also I'm still running an original sixaxis and one of the first DS3 controller both work fine besides the analogues which feel looser.

I do this too.

After a few months an extra controller is clearly a better deal than AAs.

Empty

If you want to get involved in online play at all you have to pay up for Live or Plus. If you are buying these new systems I think it becomes somewhat of a given that you are signing up for the yearly subscriptions they offer.

on 360 i tended to buy a month when a new halo game came out to mess around with. i'm not a huge multiplayer person, though i don't hate it. i'll get an xbone but i don't expect to regularly subscribe unless they get very aggressive with games for gold, yet i regularly want to use netflix. i don't think that's a totally niche opinion, yet grant was presenting it like xbone is everyone's choice for netflix.

Wut? Just buy a second controller for local mutliplayer and rotate the controllers when you are playing games by yourself.

I ended up doing just that. I also hate that you have to log out to turn off the controller and log back in when turning on the other controller. I also need to leave a wire out to charge the other controller and I hate wires. I find it easier to just swap out batteries that have been charging. Of course the PS4 situation is a minor annoyance, but still an annoyance (also, I get about 6 hours maybe?). Knowing the controller battery life is long for Xbox One plus the fact that is uses AA batteries is awesome. So yeah, I'm not sure what was confusing about my preference to you.

Just plug it in on standby overnight. 100% charge the next day.

This sounds like a good idea, but the battery doesn't last very long on the PS4 controller so unless you have a second controller, you'll be using the controller while it's plugged in, and the charging cable is pretty short. Fortunately the charging time is quick.

GAF loves making fun of Polygon, but I think they actually have some talented people on staff.

Chris Grant, Russ Frushtick, Chris Plante, Russ Pitts, Matt Leone, and the McElroy brothers are generally all knowledgeable and fair when it comes to game coverage.

I think the site's reputation really suffers, perhaps fairly, because of Arthur Gies.

The Gies Effect.

There definitely is a trickle down unfortunately. The console war has brought out the worst in it.

But I still love the McElroy brothers and even Frushtick and Plante (even if I don't always agree with them) and I think Polygon's video content and features are the best in the business.

But that Gies Effect, man. Makes it hard to give them clicks.

For me, a more fair assessment would have been reversing the scores: Xbox One @ 7.6 or 7.7 and the PS4 @ 8.0.

Both consoles have enough to offer in terms of exclusive content and differentiating features, much of which is probably best judged subjectively. It should probably come down to things like performance, price, online/community, and controller when making a more objective comparison (i.e., the foundational elements most relevant to actual gaming). I think most everyone could agree on that here. And that would be the logic regarding flipping the scores in PS4's favor at the outset.

This is more of a general statement rather than anything specifically related to Polygon, but I don't understand the general shift in attitude of gaming journalists towards the new consoles from last year's E3 until now. Most sites were so disappointed that there was not a shred of information about the new consoles at E3 2012, saying that the PS3/360 gen was long in the tooth and we needed fresh blood.

Now we get fresh blood, and both new consoles are really good successors to their older counterparts, and even though a lot of them have been through console launches before and know that launch titles and software/services are usually not up to par upon release, they are either yawning at them or saying everyone should hold off for another year.

I really don't get it.

The reason netflix on xbox one is better than ps4 is because it can use a remote controller instead of gamepad? Really? A gamepad is just another form of controller.

Well with the poor battery life on the DS4 I can't blame them. I'd much rather use a regular remote as I would think most people would if given the option.

There must be some other way to indicate low health besides de-saturating the entire screen and that red smear.
Developers stop doing this please.

That was really annoying. Especially if it's not a regenrating health. If it just went away within a few seconds it wouldn't be as bad.

This girl is getting on my nerves. "Open world zombie games are becoming like a thing" "You're making me nervous" "This game is purrdy" I'm not saying she is one because I know nothing about her but I really dislike it when things have a girl just for the sake of having a girl. I'd rather somebody who is informed, intellectual and knows what is going on

"How is the AI in this game?"

Might be the first time I've ever heard that question posed in relation to a zombie game.

I personally would love to see more zombie media adopting the style of zombies in WWZ. These slow almost harmless zombies, also featured in the likes of The Walking Dead, aren't intimidating at all.

Nymphae

Banned
I'm just pretty tired of the conspiracy stuff. It's boring and there are much more interesting things to talk about than "Polygone" and "Gies effect"

Well sniping at people complaining about them isn't the best way to correct the conversation. Yeah they are shit on a lot here, but not without good cause.

I'm just pretty tired of the conspiracy stuff. It's boring and there are much more interesting things to talk about than "Polygone" and "Gies effect"

There is no conspiracy theory. It's just pretty apparent that their are brand preferences going on here. Much of the goodwill that MS has been seeing from games journalist has been built over the past 8 years will the 360 and fairly so. I think they are just lagging a bit with the X1 when it comes to the realization that it comes up short against the competition.

Ryuuga

Banned

So this game has stamina bar monetization

28465-Jerry-Seinfeld-leaves-gif-yxqm.gif

alr1ght

bish gets all the credit :)
Searching "Arthur Gies" on google image search is fascinating. All of his greatest hits in one place.

DC1

I won't lie, I like AA batteries better too. I have two charging stations (for batteries) already for the 4x Wii controllers I own, and always have charged batteries ready to go. It's nice to not have to worry about a long cable when I forgot to charge my controller. Not to mention being able to just buy new batteries once they start degrading and not holding as much charge (anyone with a launch or 2nd revision PS3 controller, or an orignal 360 play-n-charge kit can probably appreciate that).
Ummm..I have never experienced charge degradation of my launch ps3 controller.

kurbaan

Banned
This sounds like a good idea, but the battery doesn't last very long on the PS4 controller so unless you have a second controller, you'll be using the controller while it's plugged in, and the charging cable is pretty short. Fortunately the charging time is quick.

I am not sure why you would need to play with it plugged in it 2 controllers unless you forgot to plug it in after it ran out.

this maybe a problem if your gaming sessions are constantly 8-10 hours long otherwise the controller lasts about that much. Launch weekend I was playing all day and controller was on low battery only at the very end of the session. It never died though since I ended up plugging it in so I can't saw how much more it would have lasted.

Top Bottom