• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

POPGAF OT 14: The Alpha and The Omega

Status
Not open for further replies.

Phreaker

Like roulette
Wanna close my eyes and roll it with you
Like roulette
Wanna lose control and forget with you

6EjxBQe.gif

whew

Big city lights
Got me flirting with fire
Tonight I'ma let my hair down, have a few rounds and
Just let go

Yaaas! Roulette is a bop!

Aguila

#ICONIC
Wow, Witness the alberm is actually good. People have compared it to ARTPOOP, but I think Witness will age better. Perra's house/synth production >>>> Gags' messy EDM

I mean, the production is kind of good. But throw in Katheryn's voice and babby's first lyrics and it's really hard to like it.

I wish the Purity Ring songs had been released without Katheryn's "help"

Meowster

um i had no idea katy perry streamed a live therapy session. It feels super awkward to watch it
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uBj0qJ6bcIg
Honestly she seems so out of her depth with these people. I used to think she wrote all those terrible cliches and tacky lyrics because she was trying to appeal to the mass market and not that... that was all she was capable of writing. It's kinda sad too, idk, I stopped watching. She seems like a clueless child that is still struggling to find herself. It was funny last night when Sia kept hogging the camera and Anna Kendrick and Patty Jenkins looked uncomfortable as hell.

DOWN

Banned
Katy's written some of her biggest hits from One of the Boys. During PRISM, a couple other writers on it said she was rather unique in pop for rewriting or writing every song she put on her album to improve them or make it have her own character because she had a hell of a lot of post-divorce and John Mayer to reference iirc.

So I must say she seems pretty lost to me in this era. She seemed confidant as f when she was marketing Chained to the Rhythm, but somewhere in the ~6 months she had to complete the album after, she seems like she lost the vision and the purpose in her 'purposeful pop' notion. She is sweet as usual, but she seems messy and like she doesn't have anything to say right now. Like she is unsure how to engage and not look like she isn't bouncing every idea around. I don't think she's crazy or anything, but hopefully she feels ok and moves on to something better.

Anyway, I like her but I think Witness is a misfire.

Vazduh

hoops - Routine
Girlpool - Power Plant
Pond - The Weather
Hundred Waters - Currency EP
Blonde Redhead - 3 O'Clock

U may like these.

Let me just repost this for the others. I enjoyed all of these releases + Fyfe's The Space Between I "stole" from your last.fm!

YAS!

vP64PM8.gif

Floridian

New SZA album is nice. And Witness is a pretty mixed bag. It has some of her best songs but at the same time, some of her worst. Overall I still prefer it over Prism.

Frodo

To be fair, being in a gig in Brazil is a complete different business than being in a gig in any other country. I say Kylie in Brazil during her X tour and the audience just straight out started singing The One BY THEMSELVES so Kylie just followed it and made an a capella improvisation of it. IT WAS INCREDIBLE. She couldn't believe it herself and was gobsmacked.

Imagine your audience going "so you thought you were not going to perform that song? We will perform it for you".

Mau ®

I was unaware of how, uh, limited Katy actually is until I watched this livestream of hers. Damn.

She's got a good heart tho.

6EjxBQe.gif

[Post-Chorus]
Casanova fucked me over
Left me dying for your love
Casanova, casanova
Now you're all I'm thinking of
Casanova fucked me over
Left me dying for your love
Casanova, casanova
Now you're all I'm thinking of
6EjxBQe.gif

WHEW! Haven't heard a good bop in a while! This Allie X girl came hard

Vazduh

It's a great video for a great song. Love it.

Mau ®;240194824 said:
I was unaware of how, uh, limited Katy actually is until I watched this livestream of hers. Damn.

She's got a good heart tho.

She dropped out of her high school, so that might have to do something with that (same goes for Brit).

MANUELF

Banned
It's a great video for a great song. Love it.

She dropped out of her high school, so that might have to do something with that (same goes for Brit).
Difference being Britney was a Superstar as a teenager and Katy was nowhere to be seen at that age

Frodo

I'm ferociously bopping to Take That - Back for Good

OH MY GOD I HAVEN'T HEARD THIS IN AGES. THANK YOU UBER DRIVER FOR YOUR QUESTIONABLE SENSE IN MUSIC!

Ow65jh1.gif

rhandino

Banned
The poll closes later today, so vote if you haven't already.

Also, when I asked for a video game bop, I meant a song, not a whole game lmao

are all straight guys incredibly dumb, or just the ones I've met?
I am going to guess only the ones you have met, soecially if you are from the south of USA or like most of Latin America lololol

Why do you all hate me? I stan Talent.
The mods hate you because you decided to go nuclear on them, not because they don't bop to Mariah hits sis

You do so many men spit in the urinal when they go pee? I don't get it.
Because it's less gross than doing it on the floor, I guess.

When am I getting more [redacted]?
:eyes:

So in love with Allie X's song "Downtown". Such a chill bop. Her album is pretty good as well.

Not interested in Katy without Luke, tbh. They both were a force to reckoned with. It pains me to even say that, though, since Luke threw that shade once upon a time at Queen Kelly Clarkson. I just can't deny the fact that the dude makes addictive bops.

I'm happy that Taylor is on Spotify again. All is well in the world now. I can't wait to be slayed by her album later this year. Perched.

Tinashe did an interview with the Guardian.
Interviewing Tinashe in 2017 is to witness patience and resolve in action. Despite releasing a handful of pop-R&B bangers (the DJ Mustard co-produced 2 On; certified bop Player; current single Flame); a coterie of elegant, so-called alt-R&B jams (all of 2015’s Amethyst mixtape); and being hailed by the likes of NME and Pitchfork as the next Aaliyah, her career has unquestionably stalled.

Joyride, the follow-up to 2014’s critically lauded debut Aquarius, has sat unreleased by her label since it was announced 18 months ago. Singles have come and gone; various collaborations (Tinie Tempah, KDA, erm, Enrique Iglesias) have barely charted; and here we are, in the belly of the beast, AKA her label RCA’s west London offices, quietly fuming. Or at least I am. Tinashe, slowly working her way through an English breakfast tea, has no time for negativity.

“Things haven’t always gone according to my original plan,” she says calmly, “but that’s life, and things change.” Any normal person in this situation might want to flip a table in frustration, I suggest. “However long it takes, I know I will get to my end goal,” she says. “I’m never going to stop. I will make music forever.”
To prove her point, the background image on her phone is a generic picture of a Grammy, and it will stay like that until she can swap it for one of her own. “It’s been like that for years!” she screams in mock horror.
That helped her to land a deal with RCA, which, for Tinashe, coincided with the realisation that her thirst for knowledge wasn’t always going to be seen as a positive. “There’s a lot of sexism in the music business,” she says, calmly flattening the creases in her floor-length silk coat. “A lot of sexism. As far as female producers or female engineers … when you’re in these studios, it’s all men. It is so rare that they’d not even expect me to have an opinion.”

That studio-based sexism is something she feels also permeates the music industry more generally, and has been a factor in her stop-start career so far. “It’s so much easier for male artists, I know it is,” she says. In early 2016, months after Joyride’s announcement, a Twitter message, apparently from Tinashe, emerged claiming that part of the hold-up was down to her label focusing on “Zany”, AKA the newly solo Zayn Malik. “I sent that message, yeah, that RCA was focused on Zayn? They were! But I have nothing against him; more power to him.”
She confirms the rumour that Rihanna, or someone from her team, heard Joyride’s title track and briefly swiped it for her own album. “Yeah, that’s true,” she says with typical breeziness. “But I don’t know if it was personally Rihanna, like, ‘I’m taking that from Tinashe.’ I don’t think that’s how it worked. But it’s back now.” Despite all these setbacks, all these things she can’t control, she’s adamant that she’s never once thought of quitting. “It’s definitely been discouraging, and I have days where I’m less confident, but at the end I know that I’m going to get to where I need to go.” She shuffles in her seat. “There’s doubt that seeps in, there’s self-deprecation, because you look to someone to blame and you can’t blame anyone but yourself, but I’ve never, ever thought, ‘I’m going to work in a mall.’”
Perhaps at the core of Tinashe’s delayed ascendancy is her lack of an undeniable, bona fide smash hit; one that would fully capture RCA’s attention and shuffle her up the pecking order (at No 24 in the US, 2014’s 2 On is her highest-charting single to date). She could, in theory, keep chucking out low-key mixtapes and luxuriate in critical acclaim, but – having grown up on pop stars such as Michael, Britney and Christina – she’s aiming for superstar status. “I consider myself a pop artist who makes R&B-tinged pop music,” she says adamantly.

As for Joyride, well, it’s coming. Soon(ish). “It’s not like it’s sitting in a vault locked up, it’s always getting better and improving,” she says. “I plan on doing a solid few more months recording then hopefully getting it out this year.” She notices my involuntary eye roll at that word “hopefully”. “It’s going to be great,” she states. “They’re going to be the best songs!”
WHY TINASHE. Just accept your fate as a R&B's Carly Rae Jepsen: an underappreciated artist who makes music beloved by critics and people with good taste.

Joyride coming never.

If you trim the fat from witmess it's a decent album

Witness
Swish Swish
Deja Vu
Power
Chained
Tsunami
Bon Appetit
Bigger Than Me
Pendulum
Into Me You See

would make a good 10 tracker

xUA7aXS39EzMllNb8Y.gif

Phreaker

If you trim the fat from witmess it's a decent album

Witness
Swish Swish
Deja Vu
Power
Chained
Tsunami
Bon Appetit
Bigger Than Me
Pendulum
Into Me You See

would make a good 10 tracker

xUA7aXS39EzMllNb8Y.gif

You don't like Mind Maze, the Believe of 2017 or Miss You More? Maybe replace Into Me You See/Tsunami?

Yado

Witness
Hey Hey Hey
Roulette
Swish Swish
Deja Vu
Power
Mind Maze
Miss You More
Chained to The Rhythm
Tsunami
Bon Appetit

The album should have ended with Bon Appetit as everything after it is disposable, but any of the last four could be switched in for Miss You More which I would have excluded as well if I didn't have a thing for 11 track albums.

xUA7aXS39EzMllNb8Y.gif

DOWN

Banned
Did T Swift do herself any favors on her petty manipulator reputation by releasing her catalogs on streaming services after years - the exact day Katy releases her first album in 4 years?

Maybe Tay just doesn't care whew

WonderzL

Banned
We're all just looking for connection
Yeah, we all want to be seen
I'm looking for someone who speaks my language
Someone to ride this ride with me

Pda7177.gif
Pda7177.gif

Can I get a witness?
Will you be my witness?
I'm just looking for a witness in all of this
Looking for a witness to get me through this

Pda7177.gif
Pda7177.gif

rhandino

Banned
The way I can listen to Bon Appetit every single day while driving to work and still sounds fresh and [exciting]

Pda7177.gif

They way Carlysus stealth released song is among the Top 10 best pop songs of this year

Pda7177.gif

The way Ubi already won E3

Pda7177.gif

Now we only need Trump to get impeached and May get the boot and 2017 will be redeemed

Pda7177.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom