• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PopGAF |OT4| asdfjkl;asdfjkl;

Status
Not open for further replies.
LTTP review....wasn't really a fan till this fall and no one had reviewed it yet. So yeah. Tried to be as objective as possible.

iRkdZ7VHbqpPt.png

Track By Track Review:

What Makes You Beautiful 4.5/5
Their signature song at this point in their careers for very obvious reasons. Not the deepest song on earth, but it fills a niche and really captures the spirit of “One Direction”. I really enjoy listening to the track and it rarely bores me the way other tracks with similar themes often do. Its catchy and fun.

Gotta Be You 3.5/5
I really enjoy the opening to this track. It has a great vibe that is unique to the album. However, at the same time it lacks the punch of WMYB and I am not surprised at all that it failed to be a radio hit. I don't really find myself coming back to the track much despite its quality. Maybe the track is a bit too long?

One Thing 4/5
Catchy song that suffers from the symptom of being way too similar to WMYB (the superior track) in theme and approach. On the other hand, a major boon it has is that I really cannot imagine liking it as much performed by any other group/artist. Just another fun, catchy song. There is no specific section of the song that I can point to as a flaw and its pacing is pretty much perfect.

More Than This 2.5/5
Solid song that isn't really spectacular or memorable. Well produced and designed overall and is an enjoyable listen on occasion, but the song feels repetitive and doesn't really go anywhere. Hard to give it too much love. A “depends on my mood” type track.

Up All Night 3.5/5
The funnest song on the album. Its cheese, topped by fun, topped by more cheese. The track on the album that screams “I am a teenager. You don't like it? Well fuck you...I am too busy having fun to care!” in its approach. Initially this track didn't do much for me, and I think it would be VERY hot and cold for people depending on what mood they are in. While its by no means a masterpiece, I have really grown to appreciate its energy and vibrance. I imagine crusty old men will hate it with a passion though.

I Wish 3/5
Another enjoyable listen that could use a bit more punch. Its not a bad song but still feels a little like filler. Its very “safe”, which is a big issue with many songs on the album. It is another song that I feel is really a mood song where you love it or “meh” it depending on whether you can identify with the lyrics in the moment. At least its a relatively unique theme for the album.

Tell Me a Lie 3.5/5
If I have one significant problem with this track its that whenever I listen to it I hear the Kelly Clarkson version in my head, and this one just doesn't stack up (not that anyone can compare to Kellegend). It is a completely unique composition for this album in a way that makes me feel like it doesn't quite fit, though I go back and forth on it. Chorus is great (I do feel it could have been sped up ever so slightly) and the track is still good overall. Hard to complain too much about it since its a nice listen and feels completely fresh. The fact that I keep coming back to it is a good sign.

Taken 3/5
Once again another song that depends a lot on you personally being able to connect with the lyrics in the moment. The composition itself is fairly unremarkable. One thing I will say is that this song really shows off Harry Styles pleasant voice. It has a nice flow and is ok all around. No particular section is offensive. I do find the bridge to be a nice change up.

I Want 2/5
Fun song. Really not a whole lot to say about this. It is what it is. It feels like it keeps going in different directions way too fast with the chorus, verse, and bridge all feeling like they are too short or missing something. Fills a similar niche to “Up All Night”, though their subject matters are very different. Not a fan of the P!nk-esqe instrumental bridge. Could have benefited from increased pace. Almost....but not quite.

Everything About You 2.5/5
Essentially “What Makes You Beautiful”/”One Thing” set to a different track. The song itself is not bad, but seeing that it is the worst of the three songs, it is the one that gets the brunt of the wrath when it comes to “repetitiveness”. Still, the song is fun and uptempo while keeping things moving nicely. I just have a hard time coming up with a reason to listen to this song again.

Same Mistakes 3/5
Incredibly conflicted about this song because I LOVE this type of track and the lyrics really do work for me. At the same time I do recognize that 1D really doesn't bring a lot to the song, and the song isn't incredibly unique or interesting when it comes to its sound and structure. So I give it an “ok/good” rating while also pointing out that despite that, I still love the song.

Save You Tonight 1.5/5
Real flop for me. Just feels redundant and a bit cliché. I feel like I have heard this before sometime during the 90's. Chorus isn't good enough, though it has a nice beat during the second half. Verse is uninteresting. Bridge is trash.

Stole My Heart 1/5
Ugh. Copy/paste everything from “Save You Tonight” over to this track. Everything applies. In particular I think that the chorus of this song is the worst on the album. Its a bad attempt at a dance type track. Last two tracks of the album are complete throwaways. I felt like instead of making the track work with One Direction's sound they forced 1D to fit into the songs instead.

I like Save You and Stole My heart :O

Meh....those types of songs generally don't fit my tastes to begin with.

That is compounded by the fact that the tracks don't sound very "One Direction", that there are there similar tracks from other artists that are FAR better, and that they simply don't add a lot to the album imo.

(Also possible I was too critical because I was overcompensating for any bias I may have had in favor of 1D)

Bladenic

I guess they're not very 1D but I really liked the beats and production of both. Oh well. There was nothing like those on Take Me Home so they didn't pursue that sound anymore, I guess most people probably didn't care for the sound either.

Dr. Malik

FlatAss_
Lol, this thread died.

@Waffles
Can't say I disagree with the review since I haven't heard it plus the songs I have heard you gave them a good score, so nice review

Vazra

irresponsible vagina leak
Alright guys. I'm looking for feedback here for my upcoming reviews.I have used different formatting and I would like to see which is the most liked of my formats and I'll improve that said format to make it my standard. If there are suggestions I accept them humbly.

Here are some reviews I've done in different formats

Christina Aguilera -Lotus Review 1 picture review

One Direction - Take Me Home review Picture of the album - An overview/commentary- track by track review- closing comments- score (Take in consideration I'll flesh out more the content on the track by track reviews for the upcoming ones)

Kerli - Utopia review Itunes Image with scores - Overview/Opening comments- Highlight Worst songs- Highlight Best songs- Closing comments- Overall Score (Order on Worst and Best will probably change to Best and Worst)

PM me with your opinions/Suggestions.(Don't want to change the main conversation of PopGAF) All I wanna do is provide reviews that are better structured and enjoyable to read overall. Thanks very much in advance to everyone and hope to see some suggestions soon.

I need to listen to that album.

Yes...you and Marius do. :(

Lol, this thread died.

@Waffles
Can't say I disagree with the review since I haven't heard it plus the songs I have heard you gave them a good score, so nice review

Yeah....most of the well known songs I think are high quality as well.

I think I was pretty harsh overall. I could probably revise a couple scores up and the album up to 3.5/5 but I am going to resist the urge.

Wafflecakes has gone platinum
ec20fb7f.gif

<3

Dr. Malik

FlatAss_
I just listened to Save You Tonight and Stole My Heart, they are both bops especially Save You Tonight

I know disagree with this review
ibYuLT3nMVHs6.gif

Bladenic

I'm on 8.3 it's not too bad so far this season, but I'm not getting my hopes up, yet.

Oh damn you caught up :O

8.4 is good, 8.3 bored me to tears tbh. The first two were alright though I thought the premiere was the weakest of the series tbh. Amelia is ugly. Sam needs a haircut.

And what did you think of the last few S7 episodes? I think the finale was the weakest yet, it was embarrassing how easily they offed Dick. The Leviathans were a joke, I wish the whole season could have been about Castiel as God tbh.

DMeisterJ

Banned
Oh damn you caught up :O

8.4 is good, 8.3 bored me to tears tbh. The first two were alright though I thought the premiere was the weakest of the series tbh. Amelia is ugly. Sam needs a haircut.

And what did you think of the last few S7 episodes? I think the finale was the weakest yet, it was embarrassing how easily they offed Dick. The Leviathans were a joke, I wish the whole season could have been about Castiel as God tbh.

That would have been so much better. I was so surprised with how easily the battle was. When it was over I really didn't believe it was that easy. I'm kinda glad that they ended it so quickly tho because it had run its course, and it's clear that they ran out of interesting ways to progress the storyline.

Yes, 8.3 is boring. True definition of a filler episode.

Trigger

Britney should be let go. Simon was always just banking on her wigging out and if all he needed was someone to be trashy and controversial then he shouldn't have dropped 15 million on someone whose career depends on her not being a flake. He really miscalculated with that decision.

Bladenic

Britney should be let go. Simon was always just banking on her wigging out and if all he needed was someone to be trashy and controversial then he shouldn't have dropped 15 million on someone whose career depends on her not being a flake. He really miscalculated with that decision.

The funnier part is that not only was she a huge money sink, but she flopped royally and ratings TANKED. If Fox shows actually got decent ratings then you bet this shit would be canceled.

Ties

Banned
death

I don't even stan for Britney but she is not solely at fault for the ratings decline. Lack of a successful contestant from the previous season in lieu of Kelly, the lack of compelling contestants, etc., etc. caused X-Factor's demise. Britney isn't the best of judges, certainly, but #oop at her being the primary reason for underperformance this season

Ties

Banned
iEUzJ80AOp2PP.gif

I see Queen Anne has you pressed at her shining career.

I'll see you at the Academy Awards and Golden Globes as she sweeps every category she's nominated in.

Bladenic

death

I don't even stan for Britney but she is not solely at fault for the ratings decline. Lack of a successful contestant from the previous season in lieu of Kelly, the lack of compelling contestants, etc., etc. caused X-Factor's demise. Britney isn't the best of judges, certainly, but #oop at her being the primary reason for underperformance this season

I didn't mean to insinuate she was the cause of ratings decline, but there's no doubt that Simon thought she would be a ratings grab. Also, The Voice has yet to produce a successful winner (jury's out on Cassadee) but its ratings have been improving. X-Factor US has been nothing short of a disaster from the beginning. I truly think that if Fox wasn't in a terrible state with other shows, it would be canceled. Well, Simon being the creator helps too.

I just listened to Save You Tonight and Stole My Heart, they are both bops especially Save You Tonight

I know disagree with this review
ibYuLT3nMVHs6.gif

You will deal.

You don't even own the album. What kind of fail stanning? You expect your opinion to count?

Save You Tonight. is the better of the two.....but still it could never have worked as a single....and its not unique at all. I actively hate Stole My Heart.

I think certain popgaffers just see a fast paced track with a beat and scream "OMG BOP SOOOO GOOD SEXXXXX" regardless of quality......Believe it or not there are in fact BAD dance tracks.

(As I said before. In retrospect I think I was way harsher than I needed to be.....)

Mau ®

Britney really was a horrid, boring judge but her contract was only for one season. She's not really getting fired if her term was only for one season.

royalan

Didn't she express* a desire to do more seasons, tho? Seems like Simon/Fox is completely removing that option. So, essentially, she's getting the boot.

*About as well as she can "express" anything these days. Poor puppet.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom